Hines

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Hines

Great company difficult for interns to make an impact & get a job

Analyst Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Hines as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Small and friendly office, variety of tasks;
- Plenty of learning opportunities and meetings;
- Nice people and good hours;
- Great reputation if you want to work in Real Estate in the future!

Cons- Office is too small to get hired after the internship;
- As an intern the only pay was a reimbursement of expenses (lunch + travel);
- No pre-prepared internship program, so there is a need to be active to learn the most.

Great Experience

Internal Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hines full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture is a very fun work environment.

ConsNot much room for growth

Besides Chief Engineer at 321 N. Clark awesome! Wish I still worked there.

Building Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Hines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey challenge you, and reward you accordingly. On the cutting edge of property management, new construction, tenant satisfaction and my specialty, Energy Management.

ConsNot enough face time with upper management, allowing credit due to you to be taken by others. This only happened in one case, at one building, with one person.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, get to know the people at the bottom better, we are the ones that do the work.

Great company, but needs more advancement opportunities for certain parts of the business.

Property Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBig projects, Ivy League reputation, incredible training. There is an emphasis on producing a great product without taking shortcuts. Great knowing you can't go wrong doing it the right way. We take on big and ambitious projects. Work with very bright colleagues.

ConsLacking advancement opportunities. If I were to have the same responsibilities at a competitor, my title would be one or even two levels higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing management doesn't already know

Excellent experience that will last throughout my career.

Investments (Former Employee)

I worked at Hines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to work closely with some of the smartest minds in the industry. Constant education and personal growth if you want it. Large company but a true privately owned feel (good and bad). Access to upper management is much easier here than other large companies, you just have to be tenacious about it. Good pay, excellent benefits.

ConsLarge company that's a bit stuck in its ways at times when it comes to being progressive in some areas. Excellent at their core competencies, but slow to branch out and/or adopt.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many layers of chiefs trying to run the show. If you want to learn more about an area of the company, ask the people on the front lines, not their manager or their manager's manager.

Great company with positive work environment and great work life balance.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hines full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat managers, friendly and hardworking coworkers, humble yet innovative leadership from the top who respect and value their employees. Hines has been good to me!

ConsNone -- I have had a great experience so far!

Solid organization

I have been working at Hines

ProsHines treats employees with respect, has strong leadership, promotes a flexible work schedule to achieve work/life balance, is entrepreneurial, and provides opportunities for career growth and development.

ConsI can't identify any specific downsides. However, in any organization there can never be enough communication from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Hines continues to grow, and more and more younger employees join the organization, it will be important to continue providing guidance (i.e. mentoring, coaching) along the way to ensure that you are getting the most out of your employees at all levels.

High level of job satisfaction.

Property Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hines

ProsQuality employees and workplace culture promote job satisfaction. Salary and total compensation are good. High level of support from peers and senior managers. Certain amount of independence to accomplish duties and responsibilities. Company and management loyalty to good employees. Variety of of job duties and responsibilities. Strong focus on professional development. Senior management supports personal continuing education. Company provides tuition assistance. Strong spirit of innovation and an open mind approach to solving problems and willingness to try new approaches to solve/address old problems.

ConsDepending on work area, promotion potential maybe somewhat limited. Employment in commercial real estate may be becoming somewhat less stable due to financial turmoil.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote high standards and good workplace culture.

The company could do much more, it has the talent

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hines

Prosmarket recognition of the name, how much you can learn if you look for opportunities and potential for high variable compensation if you are at the right place, at the right time and management likes you

Consyou need to stick around for a long time to get the big paychecks, very territorial company with very slow upward movement since higher management will stay in their positions for a long time

Advice to Senior Managementdon't assume you know it all, establish a formal training/mentoring process immediately upon hiring new associates/Assistant Project Managers and PLEASE implement a 360 degree assessment where subordinates can evaluate their supervisors openly and without fear of retaliation (this should go to the boss' boss too)

Great place to learn

Fund Accountant (Current Employee)
Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

ProsSkilled management
Good benefits
Good opportunity
Great culture

ConsBad it system
Lack of opportunity
Lack of training

Worked for Hines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hines CEO Jeff Hines. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Hines employees.