HireCounsel

HireCounsel Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good experience with HireCounsel.

Document Reviewer JD/Attorney, Temporary (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTimely paid
    Paid current market rate
    Placed at great firm
    Placed very quickly

ConsDocument review is tedious and mind-numbing
    Document review experience likely does increase your chances of finding legal work outside of document review
    Heard from other Doc Reviewers that HireCounsel can be slow to place

Advice to Senior ManagementMore projects would be nice. Moreover, more projects that require licensed attorneys and that pay at the respective rates would be great.

Honest Recruiters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSometimes they offer really great projects at the best firms in town.

ConsSometimes they do not contact you back for weeks.

It's doc review.

Document Review Attorney (Current Employee)

ProsThey were very quick at finding me a document review position. The pay is market rate, and my job placer is a nice guy.

ConsThe job they find you is doc review, which is a thing. If you like repetitive, boring work for little pay, it's for you. If not, maybe try to be a real lawyer so you can pay back your loans.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Document Review

Document Review (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood Salary, Good Managers and staffs

ConsVery heavy workload, but it may vary depending on each project.

Contract attorney work

Contract Attorney (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood for contract attorney work

ConsContract work does not provide benefits but is good to bring in income.

I had a good experience.

Doc Review Attorney (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA very good temporary job with semi-flexible hours while you are searching for something else. Very little stress -- I had a chair to sit in and a computer to work on. It wasn't fancy, but it paid the bills well with a little extra to spare. I liked the people I worked with, as well.

ConsInitially was told project would be $30/hr. I signed on to the project and stopped pursuing others and then a week later was told the pay would be $27/hr. Initial # of hours/wk was incorrect, but what ended up being the truth was still good.

Advice to Senior ManagementPulling the compensation bait-and-switch was a poor start, but in the end the job worked well for what I needed while searching. Thanks.

Document review

Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

Pros40 hours of work per week. During the mid-2000;s there was the opportunity for much overtime, even if you only spoke English...Go figure. At most sites one can wear ones I-pod while going through the documents for coding purposes. The pay was $25, which is fairly good once you get over the fact that you shelled out hundreds of thousand for law school.

ConsObviously, the job can end at any time. Also, if there is overtime, once must be aware that you should not work too much overtime if it is open-ended, or else the client will be pissed off. Do not expect to pick up a full time gig at the client, and BE AWARE that many of Hire Counsel's ads for assignments are FAKE, in order to increase the potential pool to attract clients. they often completely ignore resume submissions and inquiries. They are a strange bunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to decrease the use of FAKE advertisements to attract resumes. the jobs should be REALLY there if you are advertising for them.

Spanish Document Review in New Jersey

Document Reviewer (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood Environment, They respect hours, No overtime, Payment ok. They do not require bar admission for document review projects like other legal staffin agencies.

ConsYou will be working with people with non lawyers and most of the cases translators.
    Projects can last only one week even if originally was for longer periods and recruiting managers knows about this but do not inform applicants at the beginning.
    Recruiting managers lack of communication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you will be supervising spanish document review a prior advanced level in spanish is required

Stress-free, but it ruins your career little by little.

Document Reviewer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood pay and near-zero stress. No liability!

ConsNo future unless you become the one hiring, not the way around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency doesn't hurt, does it?

A Bargain with the Devil

Contract Lawyer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHire Counsel has lots of contacts, and its recruiters will try to find you a temp position.

ConsHC pays rock-bottom hourly rates, and once you are placed does not make much effort to try to make you happy, which is strange considering that while HC is paying you minimal hourly rate, it is raking in probably at least three times what it pays you per hour. There is the promise of great benefits, but in order to qualify, you must work lots of hours for many months, and it seems (when I worked with it) not to have any assignments that last long enough, or not to have enough serial assignments, to make you eligible for access to the benefits. If you DO qualify for the benes, they are expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your candidates and at least pretend to be concerned about their situations. I had trouble reaching my recruiter at a certain point, and so "went up the chain" to the recruiter's supervisor. The supervisor might as well have been unreachable because s/he did essentially nothing to try to assist me.

Worked for HireCounsel? Contribute to the Community!