HireStrategy

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
4.0

Paul Villella

HireStrategy is the very best staffing firm in the DC area

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture, excellent client service and outstanding in person representation of candidates in the market

Cons

You have to be good to get a job through them

Hire more people

Nothing came up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at HireStrategy full-time

Pros

Hirestrategy is just another staffing company which does not yield any assignments for us. I do not have anything nice or positive to talk about this company.

Cons

Three of us all had interviews with HireStrategy and none of us had any placement anywhere.

Do interview prepping for people

Very positive overall experience as a full time internal employee

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time

Pros

Culture, comraderie, executive access, brand recogntion and market penetration, solid recruiting methodology, great people and a fun but highly professional atmosphere. Very good place for top performers to excel as they are given access to best training and tools to enable success, especially in recruiting. This is a great place to forge a career in staffing and really learn how to be a recruiting professional, differentiating yourself from the pack. Recruiter and BD goals and compensation are well aligned so there is faily good cohesion and collaboration across the teams. You will really grow and improve your game during your tenure here.

Cons

the compensation is not the most agressive out there but if you're a top performer, you can do very well here over the long haul. The benefits could use a real upgrade.

continue to be open to change and growth.

Great agency to work with as a candidate, not to work for as a recruiter

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

HireStrategy has a great reputation in the local market because they are highly respected by many of the best companies in the DC area.Good training is provided to teach the recruiters and account managers how to handle companies and clients in a consultative manner. As a candidate,I would definitely work with HireStrategy over all the other staffing firms. But this is not Yelp, we are not here to rate how the company is as an outsider like many of the reviews have. Glassdoor is to review how it is as an insider (will explain under the Cons.)

-Work hard party hard mentality. Like high school, if your in the cool crowd you will have a ton of fun with happy hour a couple of times a week, fantasy football, being in on all the gossip, so on. To expand on that point, if your in the cool crowd you will get the best candidates and accounts handed to you by the managers (good candidates and accounts=$$$)
    -Commission plan for the contract team is above industry average
    -DC office is a ton of fun. The employees there go out all the time and there aren't many managers present since most managers work out of Reston.
    -You get a laptop so you can do some work at home (no working remote options on the regular basis, only by occasion)
    -Required to meet with candidates in person so they usually trust you more because they know you
    -Club trips for the top performers to fun places like Miami, Vegas, Mexico, etc.
    -Metrics aren't that strict so you don't have to worry about getting fired unless you are doing something against company policy
    -All of the teams except Tech have good work life balance
    -Most of the teams have friendly competition but not excessive. People become tight knit from being together so often so you can meet some great friends here
    -You will learn so much it will help you a lot in the next step of your career

Cons

To comment on my first point in the Pros, you can see many of the other reviews were written the same day and they are fake. Plus they are talking about the reputation and give generic info about what its like working for any agency

-Management is not open to change. They say they are and make a huge point about that in the interview process but they aren't. The people who live and breathe what management says become the favorites and they are the ones who have been there 8+ years. Most other people leave after a year after they build up tenure and figure out management won't listen to there advice.
    -Tons of behind the back meetings ,unfortunately they are often led by a manager complaining about team members. Word travels really fast in a company with a ton of outgoing people and you will quickly find out what someone said about you. One manager in particular is allegedly very open about how much they dislike there team (or so the word on the street is)
    -below average commission plan for the Perm teams
    -Poor work life balance for some of the teams
    -Some shady business practices with unclear rules and unfair exceptions made for some employees
    -Very flat so there is no upward mobility besides getting a director title which comes without a pay raise. Some managing directors were put in there roles because of seniority not because they are good managers (far from it.)
    -We have been hiring unexperienced people lately which puts a strain on the teams that don't have a manager willing to help

In summary the cons are ones that are present at many staffing firms but the difference is that Hirestrategy makes you think they are the perfect Brady Bunch and it isn't until you are inside you realise how many issues there are and what you are really in for. My biggest piece of advice is to request to meet the team when you interview and individually message some associates to ask them there thoughts on the company.

Be open to change when people make suggestions and promote people based on who works the hardest and is the best at there job, not because of seniority and favoritism

Pleasantly surprised HireStrategy is held in such high regard by clients & truly practices consultative vs transactional

I have been working at HireStrategy

Pros

Talented group of recruiters and business developers that go the extra mile to help each other without disregarding the needs of the clients and candidates. The thoroughness of training and development for internal employees matches the relationship building process for both recruiting and business development. Office culture is energetic and enthusiasm is contagious. Good mix of business casual and competitiveness among team members.

Cons

Not the place to join as a recruiter if you want to be autonomous without accountability.

Really Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The group of people from every walk of life, Everyone is happy and upbeat.

Cons

Not any cons for me, when I tell you it a really great place to work it really is. No jokes

Keep on the path you are headed to grow the company.

Great company with lots of opportunity!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong company culture, great initial and ongoing training with lots of support from upper management. They teach you how to succeed within the industry and offer you the opportunity to run your desk like it's your own business. They embrace a long term outlook of putting people in the "right" place, and developing real relationships over just filling seats.

Well respected within the industry and good brand recognition.

Cons

Definitely matrix driven, but all staffing/sales environment will have them, so not really a Con.

Best recruiting firm in the DC area

Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at HireStrategy full-time

Pros

-Locally based, so you are able to focus on one area and truly build relationships

-More job orders than you know what to do with

-Strong management with strong values, that actually care about the direction, future and success of company

-No micromanaging

-Excellent, realistic training that involves very usable data

-Recruiting best practices are expected and HIGHLY encouraged

-Especially in contracting, commission plan is very aggressive

-Open-door policy

-Co-workers are very nice and easygoing

Cons

-Not really a con, but a warning: you will be very busy due to the number of job reqs. You need to be open to organization methods, as most recruiters tend to avoid planners and calendars.

-If you are not interested in recruiting, or don't want to get better at it--I would not recommend working with HS. The people at HS want to work hard and realize the rewards of our profession; financially and personally.

-Sometimes things are so busy that it can be overwhelming, but I would prefer that to growing stagnant and not having any reqs to fill!

Keep it up

Below Average Recruiting Company

Former Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I worked at HireStrategy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good entry level training and experience. Good people overall, and decent company culture.

Cons

Two big concerns here.

Way to much Soap Opera drama here. The employees are young and hip, which is cool, until the chickens start clucking and causing drama in the work place. It's like high school, but worse.

Poor Leadership. Recruiting is a high volume results driven business, but sometimes to best individual contributor is a horrible manager. This is the case at Hirestrategy, particularly in one department. A highly successful recruiter has worked their way up to a senior manager position but is horrible at it. ANALOGY. Sometimes the best quarterback in the world, is the worst coach.

Senior leadership not open to change.
    Weak departmental structure
    Zero Growth
    Against Geographical Expansion
    Benefits are Average

Be open to different perspectives. Don't let your experience and success create tunnel vision with how you manage your teams. If you read this review, and dismissed it as a former employee who wasn't good at their job, then you have proven my point.

Don't let loyalty to process be a hindrance to change. You should constantly look at what can be done differently to raise the bar of performance.

Contracted out - mediocre experience

I have been working at HireStrategy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get a hold of the office, friendly to talk to

Cons

Not very communicative with contractors in the field, was told not to expect to make a competitive wage (meaning not to expect to make what I was making in my retail job) in this area directly by the recruiter. Was promised possibility of employment in 3 months - then was told by my direct manager that was not a possibility. Other contractors (also working with HireStrategy) in my department were all promised inconsistent time frames.
    Bullied into the contracting role I took, and it was not a good fit.

HireStrategy Photos