Hirsch Bedner Reviews

Reset
Ian Carr and Rene Kaerskov

1. Interior Design Internship

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner

Pros

HBA has given me the opportunity to see the entire design process from a very close perspectivel. I do not even feel like an intern. The designers are so friendly and take the time to explain to you the reasons behind their decisions and explain how everything works. I highly recommend an internship here.

Cons

There are no cons. Everything you do here teaches you something different.

2. Senior Interior Designer

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time

Pros

The opportunity to design some of the the highest-profile hotels in the world, global recognition, travel, the pay is above average for the industry.

Cons

Long (and I mean long) work hours, upper management cares very little about the designers and mainly about their bank accounts, sometimes nearly impossible-to-meet deadlines and project schedules, too much "interpretation" of specified products and materials on projects.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like chattel - they are the lifeblood of your business. Without them, HBA will not exist. Giving the associates quotas on bringing new work is ludicrous. Let the associates do the jobs they should be doing and hire marketing staff to bring in work, just like every other firm does. HBA was once a powerhouse in the design industry, but are losing ground fast. All you have to do is see who's projects are being published for evidence of that.

3. designer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time

Pros

Get the HBA name on your resume even if it is a myth.

Cons

I fell for the Design Giant myth (just like so many others) and gave up a great job to come here. Very dog eat dog, oppressive and cold atmosphere. Awful management who do not even want to listen to your problems. Lot of politics. It is survival of the shrewdest.

Advice to Management

Cherish your talent and listen to their problems. Don't pretend to manage when you are not.

Started as an entry level designer and slowly moved up through the ranks to a senior designer

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bonuses on the good years were phenominal. High-end design meant much more variety in design solutions and material selections - often without the financial binds that restrict creative expression. Also, the opportunity to work through all facets and phases of a project - planning, FF&E selections, DD and CD's.

Cons

Very low starting salaries; Hard to get performance and salary reviews; It takes a long time to prove yourself and gain any kind of advancement. As with any design position, work/life balance is tricky and ultimately up to each of us to manage / take responsibility to communicate about. In 2013, BOD shareholders sold out to a leading Chinese construction firm. Executives committed to staying on board for a certain period of time, but after that, the leadership and direction may take a turn.

Advice to Management

Don't forget who you were when you started in this industry, what you wished it could be like for you, and appreciate the efforts of others which have allowed you to climb to the level of success you have achieved.

World-class hospitality design firm

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- opportunities to work on signature, high-end hospitality projects - real global firm with supports from round-the-world offices - talented and friendly designers to work with.

Cons

- no real HR professionals - politics between partners. - Good talkers progress more than others.

Advice to Management

Hire real HR, focus more on people.

Worst company ever!

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half-day fridays for most of the year but it's not for free you pay for it by working extra hours the rest of the year with no overtime.

Cons

No growth opportunity, they prefer the outside hire to anyone internally and won't train anyone. Everyone is afraid to share work as other teams steal from each other and re-use the designs. Environment is all fear now of people leaving the company and taking HBA content with them and then competing. Management can't compete and won't create an environment where people want to stay long term so instead of fixing the problems of why people leave, they instead lock everything up. We are constantly told we are losing money and we our too expensive compared to India and China labor, but the quality design and name the company trades on was built in the expensive regions. If we are constantly losing money and the labor is so expensive than why does upper management get a bigger bonus and raise each year. There hasn't been a raise in years at HBA to match cost of living increases across all offices (as I speak often with fellow designers in other sites). Office parties ever since the previous owner left the company are terrible now, they cut down on everything and you can tell they don't really care about innovating or being the best in-design, they would much rather create the best margins through cost cutting everywhere rather than through innovating and asking for the bigger money from clients because you are getting the best.

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of the current trend of outsourcing to cheap labor countries, then expect them to be the most productive employees ever, you get what you pay for! Also, I know the only way to compete with the smaller guys is to give unrealistic contracts and timetables/deadlines to get clients but the designers are screwed over when this happens, working 24/7 all the time while the upper management goes home and enjoys family time. Just because we are younger than 40 doesn't mean we don't have a family or life outside of this place.

8. Intern

I worked at Hirsch Bedner

Pros

learned a lot from the firm

Cons

cold environment with weird lunch area

Beneficial but underappreciated

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment and people at the office are very friendly. You do create a certain bond with most employees that is hard to break. It is very laid-back for the most part, ice cream Tuesday's, dog day Friday's along with being able to leave at 1p. They do allow a flexible schedule as well for the most part.

Cons

For the amount of work, we are overworked and underpaid, leaving a lot of us unsatisfied with our jobs. Barely have time for personal life working OT everyday. (working 9-10hr days, if not more) Should have more employees in the department instead of each employee having several offices and not being able to leave on time.

Advice to Management

Compensation should be more. For as big as HBA is, they should value their employees more. I feel like we are under appreciated for the amount of work, effort, and time we put in. A lot of people keep leaving because of the management. It would be more beneficial to have more communication within each department so that way we can all be on the same page.

10. Great place to work

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good environment, growth potential, open door policy

Cons

very fast pace environment, not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Have seen great improvement in communication, keep it up!

Awful

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner

Pros

The office is decently nice, and you might get the impression that you are working for an organized, functional company.

Cons

I had a horrible experience working for this company. They are very disorganized, and there was a complete lack of direction and communication about what was expected of my position. I felt like I was walking into a complete mess due to their disorganization. I was barely introduced to any of the staff and just kind of left to figure out things on my own. I made a decision on how to approach my position here, and went with it. However they let me know when they thought I wasn't living up to their expectations - though they took little time to work with me on what they wanted my role to be. They do not seem to make an investment in their employees and that is one of the reasons there is such a revolving door. I came from an amazing ethical company, where I was trained and pretty much mentored throughout my position, and I performed excellent there and learned a great deal. I worked with hard working and extremely talented people in industry I was in. Hirsch Bedner, in comparison seemed like I was working with a bunch of hustlers who are just figuring things out as they go. Obviously there will be somewhat of a learning curve in every company you work for. I know how to do my job but the tasks they were giving me were not what I thought I was hired to do, and not the expertise I had. They expect you to be a jack of all trades. They missed out on what I had to offer. Also, HR is very unprofessional here. They pretty much made a suggestion to me that I can leave so they can try and push me out the door instead of them having to let me go. I have rarely in my career felt as uncomfortable in a workplace as I did here. Very unprofessional.

RSS Feed </> Embed