Hirsch Bedner

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ian Carr and Rene Kaerskov

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearned a lot from the firm

Conscold environment with weird lunch area

Beneficial but underappreciated

Accounting Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment and people at the office are very friendly. You do create a certain bond with most employees that is hard to break. It is very laid-back for the most part, ice cream Tuesday's, dog day Friday's along with being able to leave at 1p. They do allow a flexible schedule as well for the most part.

ConsFor the amount of work, we are overworked and underpaid, leaving a lot of us unsatisfied with our jobs. Barely have time for personal life working OT everyday. (working 9-10hr days, if not more) Should have more employees in the department instead of each employee having several offices and not being able to leave on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be more. For as big as HBA is, they should value their employees more. I feel like we are under appreciated for the amount of work, effort, and time we put in. A lot of people keep leaving because of the management. It would be more beneficial to have more communication within each department so that way we can all be on the same page.

Very Dissapointing

Interior Designer (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

Pros-Half day Fridays
    -Friendly Co-workers (for the most part)
    -OK Benefits
    -Parking Provided
    -An extra week of time off during the holidays (although you do make up for this extra time off by working full days in the fall, so its not free)

Cons-Stressful atmosphere
    -Salaries are below industry standard and area standard
    -Employees are overworked and under-appreciated
    -Upper Management has "checked out" since the sale of the company. (not that they were very invested in their employees before it)
    -There is no investment in employee growth
    -There is no mentoring program or interest in building lasting employee/employer relationships
    -The creative office is run by a finance guy with no appreciation or interest in design work (other than his own profit)
    -Generally unorganized
    -VERY unprofessional HR department
    -High employee turn-over rate

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some time, effort, and money in your employees. You might be surprised at what you can get back.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is one top notch company to work in.

Sub Contractor (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsWell, the company is one of the very best hospitality interior designers in Southern California and it's a great privilege for me working there.

ConsThe most challenging part of working here is the work-life balance since you're always back to the wall in deadlines and the long hours of work to meet your deadlines...Compensation wise it's worth it since you're working with the best designers in the business and gaining a tremendous experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the good works.

Internship

Interior Design Intern (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsYou're treated well as an intern. Project managers act as mentors and are patient. Connections and relationships are built.

ConsSome designers complain about low pay/benefits

Terrible, avoid at all costs! You have been warned.

FF&E Designer (Current Employee)

ProsEarly Friday's, and that's about it, the only benefit separating this company from all others.

ConsWhen companies ownership exchanged hands a few years back it became about cost cutting everywhere, paying bottom dollar in the industry, etc. Management is perfectly okay with anyone leaving, even their best talent...they don't bargain or try to keep you, they show you the door with the understanding that there are tons more trying to get a job in the industry right now. Many come here to get this huge company on their resume then leave for far better pay at every single other company out there. Very little work-life balance. They say they care about it, but if you look around the office, every night the lowest paid are often working till midnight and the highest paid have left hours ago...designers need to keep in mind that they are exempt from overtime, so why work so many hours? It's all about the absurd deadlines HBA accepts to get clients and to stay competitive with smaller/leaner firms. It's fast-paced and competitive and most designers have shared with me that if they don't stay till midnight every night to accommodate the insane deadlines (on free for the company time mind you), they feel they will look like they have poor work ethic and should be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay median levels so you don't lose your best talent and you can attract better talent.

Great place to work

ProsGood environment, growth potential, open door policy

Consvery fast pace environment, not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave seen great improvement in communication, keep it up!

Awful

ProsThe office is decently nice, and you might get the impression that you are working for an organized, functional company.

ConsI had a horrible experience working for this company. They are very disorganized, and there was a complete lack of direction and communication about what was expected of my position. I felt like I was walking into a complete mess due to their disorganization. I was barely introduced to any of the staff and just kind of left to figure out things on my own. I made a decision on how to approach my position here, and went with it. However they let me know when they thought I wasn't living up to their expectations - though they took little time to work with me on what they wanted my role to be. They do not seem to make an investment in their employees and that is one of the reasons there is such a revolving door. I came from an amazing ethical company, where I was trained and pretty much mentored throughout my position, and I performed excellent there and learned a great deal. I worked with hard working and extremely talented people in industry I was in. Hirsch Bedner, in comparison seemed like I was working with a bunch of hustlers who are just figuring things out as they go. Obviously there will be somewhat of a learning curve in every company you work for. I know how to do my job but the tasks they were giving me were not what I thought I was hired to do, and not the expertise I had. They expect you to be a jack of all trades. They missed out on what I had to offer. Also, HR is very unprofessional here. They pretty much made a suggestion to me that I can leave so they can try and push me out the door instead of them having to let me go. I have rarely in my career felt as uncomfortable in a workplace as I did here. Very unprofessional.

HBA falls vastly short of the once grand reputation it had

Senior Designer (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsPart-time Fridays (not for free of course, you work those extra hours mon-thur), but still very nice perk, ice cream tuesdays, and comfortable work environment.

ConsPay is typically well below standards for job position, zip code and comparative companies as well according to salary.com and my own research. Huge management change and buyout in the past few years and HBA has lost it's luster and gone downhill ever since. Original founder was pushed out For those that have been with the company long enough (very few) to see this transition they know what I am talking about. Bonuses/profit-share is nearly gone, raises and promotions don't happen unless you either threaten to leave or have been there 15 years+. Top level positions are always outside hire and outsourcing/off-shoring is the name of the game at HBA. Feels like most management decisions are made with very little careful thought/research and are mostly motivated by their bonuses. So many of the perks that HBA once had are now gone (food leftover from meetings, etc). Parking for lower employees is terrible, they can't leave for lunch cause they are blocked in and if they leave and come back they will have to leave their car with an attendant as their will be no spots left, car has been dinged/dented up many times from how close people park in the tiny spaces. Tons of layoffs during the recession and now TONS of turnover. HBA is seen as a place to go learn as your first job, then move on to a firm that will let you grow, pay you decently, and have good benefits. 3% 401k matching and 5.5days per year of sick time, so you end up using much of your vacation time each year when you are sick--and you WILL get sick with all the hours you work. HBA has quickly become a place where designers are there all night and on weekends, its nearly a competition to see who stays the latest each evening. Well rated companies are at 5% matching and one sick day per month (twelve a year). Most of management has less degrees/education than those under them, but at least they have a lot of experience to make up for it. HR department is worst of any company I have worked for. They hire poorly and are NOT an employee advocate and micro-manage employees. This practice of hiring poorly has created a workforce which is largely hit or miss, some underpaid individuals which are very talented and others which are mediocre and just create more work for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to these reviews and make applicable changes, you can return the luster that HBA once had. These are not just my opinions, these are the opinions of every single employee I've spoken with during lunch time and outside the office--overheard these chief complaints several times over from nearly everyone!

HBA International

Accounting Assistant (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsVery nice place to work! Great people and friendly environment! They have a huge patio where people have their lunch, talk, have cofee etc. Parking is available. Food, Ice Cream days, Karaoke evenings and picknicks. I love this place!

ConsAironditioner on the second floor is too noisy:)

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Hirsch Bedner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hirsch Bedner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hirsch Bedner CEO Ian Carr and Rene Kaerskov. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Hirsch Bedner employees.