Hirsch Bedner

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
2.6

Ian Carr and Rene Kaerskov

If you can land an internship with HBA, take it!!

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Interns aren't actually interns, you're treated like a designer and given real responsibility
     - HBA pays $15 an hour, so this isn't just free labor
     - Designers went out of their way to teach me and inform me
     - If you perform well, you are likely to be offered a permanent position
     - overall a great place to work

Cons

- work-life is not balanced, designers are working late almost every day especially when deadlines are approaching fast
     - some may consider the fast paced environment stressful

Worst company ever!

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Half-day fridays for most of the year but it's not for free you pay for it by working extra hours the rest of the year with no overtime.

Cons

No growth opportunity, they prefer the outside hire to anyone internally and won't train anyone. Everyone is afraid to share work as other teams steal from each other and re-use the designs. Environment is all fear now of people leaving the company and taking HBA content with them and then competing. Management can't compete and won't create an environment where people want to stay long term so instead of fixing the problems of why people leave, they instead lock everything up. We are constantly told we are losing money and we our too expensive compared to India and China labor, but the quality design and name the company trades on was built in the expensive regions. If we are constantly losing money and the labor is so expensive than why does upper management get a bigger bonus and raise each year. There hasn't been a raise in years at HBA to match cost of living increases across all offices (as I speak often with fellow designers in other sites). Office parties ever since the previous owner left the company are terrible now, they cut down on everything and you can tell they don't really care about innovating or being the best in-design, they would much rather create the best margins through cost cutting everywhere rather than through innovating and asking for the bigger money from clients because you are getting the best.

Don't take advantage of the current trend of outsourcing to cheap labor countries, then expect them to be the most productive employees ever, you get what you pay for! Also, I know the only way to compete with the smaller guys is to give unrealistic contracts and timetables/deadlines to get clients but the designers are screwed over when this happens, working 24/7 all the time while the upper management goes home and enjoys family time. Just because we are younger than 40 doesn't mean we don't have a family or life outside of this place.

Intern

I worked at Hirsch Bedner

Pros

learned a lot from the firm

Cons

cold environment with weird lunch area

Beneficial but underappreciated

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment and people at the office are very friendly. You do create a certain bond with most employees that is hard to break. It is very laid-back for the most part, ice cream Tuesday's, dog day Friday's along with being able to leave at 1p. They do allow a flexible schedule as well for the most part.

Cons

For the amount of work, we are overworked and underpaid, leaving a lot of us unsatisfied with our jobs. Barely have time for personal life working OT everyday. (working 9-10hr days, if not more) Should have more employees in the department instead of each employee having several offices and not being able to leave on time.

Compensation should be more. For as big as HBA is, they should value their employees more. I feel like we are under appreciated for the amount of work, effort, and time we put in. A lot of people keep leaving because of the management. It would be more beneficial to have more communication within each department so that way we can all be on the same page.

The company is one top notch company to work in.

Former Employee - Sub Contractor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sub Contractor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Well, the company is one of the very best hospitality interior designers in Southern California and it's a great privilege for me working there.

Cons

The most challenging part of working here is the work-life balance since you're always back to the wall in deadlines and the long hours of work to meet your deadlines...Compensation wise it's worth it since you're working with the best designers in the business and gaining a tremendous experience.

Keep up with the good works.

Internship

Former Employee - Interior Design Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Interior Design Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You're treated well as an intern. Project managers act as mentors and are patient. Connections and relationships are built.

Cons

Some designers complain about low pay/benefits

Great place to work

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good environment, growth potential, open door policy

Cons

very fast pace environment, not for everyone.

Have seen great improvement in communication, keep it up!

Awful

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner

Pros

The office is decently nice, and you might get the impression that you are working for an organized, functional company.

Cons

I had a horrible experience working for this company. They are very disorganized, and there was a complete lack of direction and communication about what was expected of my position. I felt like I was walking into a complete mess due to their disorganization. I was barely introduced to any of the staff and just kind of left to figure out things on my own. I made a decision on how to approach my position here, and went with it. However they let me know when they thought I wasn't living up to their expectations - though they took little time to work with me on what they wanted my role to be. They do not seem to make an investment in their employees and that is one of the reasons there is such a revolving door. I came from an amazing ethical company, where I was trained and pretty much mentored throughout my position, and I performed excellent there and learned a great deal. I worked with hard working and extremely talented people in industry I was in. Hirsch Bedner, in comparison seemed like I was working with a bunch of hustlers who are just figuring things out as they go. Obviously there will be somewhat of a learning curve in every company you work for. I know how to do my job but the tasks they were giving me were not what I thought I was hired to do, and not the expertise I had. They expect you to be a jack of all trades. They missed out on what I had to offer. Also, HR is very unprofessional here. They pretty much made a suggestion to me that I can leave so they can try and push me out the door instead of them having to let me go. I have rarely in my career felt as uncomfortable in a workplace as I did here. Very unprofessional.

HBA falls vastly short of the once grand reputation it had

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time

Pros

Part-time Fridays (not for free of course, you work those extra hours mon-thur), but still very nice perk, ice cream tuesdays, and comfortable work environment.

Cons

Pay is typically well below standards for job position, zip code and comparative companies as well according to salary.com and my own research. Huge management change and buyout in the past few years and HBA has lost it's luster and gone downhill ever since. Original founder was pushed out For those that have been with the company long enough (very few) to see this transition they know what I am talking about. Bonuses/profit-share is nearly gone, raises and promotions don't happen unless you either threaten to leave or have been there 15 years+. Top level positions are always outside hire and outsourcing/off-shoring is the name of the game at HBA. Feels like most management decisions are made with very little careful thought/research and are mostly motivated by their bonuses. So many of the perks that HBA once had are now gone (food leftover from meetings, etc). Parking for lower employees is terrible, they can't leave for lunch cause they are blocked in and if they leave and come back they will have to leave their car with an attendant as their will be no spots left, car has been dinged/dented up many times from how close people park in the tiny spaces. Tons of layoffs during the recession and now TONS of turnover. HBA is seen as a place to go learn as your first job, then move on to a firm that will let you grow, pay you decently, and have good benefits. 3% 401k matching and 5.5days per year of sick time, so you end up using much of your vacation time each year when you are sick--and you WILL get sick with all the hours you work. HBA has quickly become a place where designers are there all night and on weekends, its nearly a competition to see who stays the latest each evening. Well rated companies are at 5% matching and one sick day per month (twelve a year). Most of management has less degrees/education than those under them, but at least they have a lot of experience to make up for it. HR department is worst of any company I have worked for. They hire poorly and are NOT an employee advocate and micro-manage employees. This practice of hiring poorly has created a workforce which is largely hit or miss, some underpaid individuals which are very talented and others which are mediocre and just create more work for you.

Please listen to these reviews and make applicable changes, you can return the luster that HBA once had. These are not just my opinions, these are the opinions of every single employee I've spoken with during lunch time and outside the office--overheard these chief complaints several times over from nearly everyone!

HBA International

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice place to work! Great people and friendly environment! They have a huge patio where people have their lunch, talk, have cofee etc. Parking is available. Food, Ice Cream days, Karaoke evenings and picknicks. I love this place!

Cons

Aironditioner on the second floor is too noisy:)