Historic Tours of America

Chris Belland

1. Cast Member and Ticket Sales

Former Employee - Cast Member and All Attractions Ticket Sales in Key West, FL
    Former Employee - Cast Member and All Attractions Ticket Sales in Key West, FL

I worked at Historic Tours of America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average pay, managent responds to employees concerns usually in a positive way and you learn a great deal about the history of Key West or whereever city you are working for HTA.

Cons

some positions do not pay enough to live in Key West and if you are working outside or without any air conditioning, the five month summer can be brutal.

Advice to Management

I would only advise management in person or with reports directly. I come from a management consulting family and I am still active in this field.

2. Rewarding experience

I worked at Historic Tours of America full-time

Pros

Giving tours is rewarding work. I felt honored to serve the public.I'll miss working with most of my co-workers.

Cons

The "costumes" are made out of wool and polyester and I'm going lightly here saying they were hot as a oven. It all depends on the weather being as it is an outdoor gig.

Advice to Management

Pay your team more...they are all very deserving after the effort and solid work they've put into the company.

3. Maintenance Engineer

Current Employee - Maintenance in Key West, FL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Key West, FL

I have been working at Historic Tours of America

Pros

The company is a very employee friendly environment. If you have a concern or a question, the management is always attentive to your concerns and hears you out. Any reasonable request is usually granted. Also, all the employees treat each other with respect and courtesy.

Cons

I did not see any cons working there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work don't change what is not broke. Maybe come around and see the workers more often.

5. Waited 90 days for the official offer, got it...punitively lost it?

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Historic Tours of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good locations with good solid historical background offered to the public. Perhaps some growth in other locations throughout America. Multiple businesses and a multi million dollar business with potential. But, there are some serious defects.

Cons

Hierarchy management showing outward Directive and Authoritative Management styles on every level. Exceedingly rigid in management and "cast" distinction, i.e. clear hierarchical power. Business people understand that this paradigm is no longer a successful corporate solution in cultivating great employees. Young adults in management roles don't work....Punishment in management roles don't work either. Clear communication is imperative to success. Young adults in management roles simply don't have enough "life," or business experience to manage adults with experience -- they're dismissive, show outward signs of inflexibility in their management style and skills whilst displaying a facade of cool casualness. In other words,I waited three months for the solid office and acceptance, but was given less than two business weeks to prove my skills were solid and stealth. This type of immature authoritative management style is explosive and exhaustingly dangerous to an organization. It's opaque and divisive -- scary for most mature employees -- we don't like game players wielding power incorrectly. The division is currently insignificant, unnecessary, and unsustainable for the volume of sales being generated. Alternative solutions could have saved this organization about a quarter of a million a year in overhead, payroll and benefits.

Advice to Management

Hire a good business consultant, change the corporate management style immediately, trim the fat (get rid of the kids in management), raise your employees wages to a living standard, and increase benefits. Many more suggestions available on a subcontracted basis as a business consultant. Can reduce every division by hundreds of thousands of dollars whilst all benefit from the positive changes that could be made to make even more money for all.

6. A job that dealt with the hospitality field, a lot of fun to work for but pay very low.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at Historic Tours of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed meeting the different people from all over the world while on vacation and helping them to plan their events.

Cons

Biggest problem was the hourly pay and lack of communication between management and employees

Advice to Management

Look at the job performance of employees and not the gossip of favorites.

One my memorable life experiences has been my tenure at Trolley

I have been working at Historic Tours of America full-time

Pros

Great place to work. People friendly.

Cons

We dont get regular raise and cant really count on tips. Overtime was a big deal but we dont get that anymore

Advice to Management

Many of us have counted on the extra summer hours so as to prepare for the slim winter hours. The changes have really hurt a lot.

varied

I worked at Historic Tours of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some great people, and some not so great people. big time turnover depending on wahich part of the company you work for. Great for part time employment.

Cons

horrible benefits, Does not car about front line employees. Other than that it could be a great part time job for retired folks, or those just looking for summer wokr. They have a tendency to underhire so you can work yourself to death in the summer, and get laied off in the winter

Advice to Management

take more care of your employees

9. wonderful

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Manager

I have been working at Historic Tours of America

Pros

I like it very much

Cons

too cold in the winter

Advice to Management

back off

RSS Feed </> Embed