Hitachi America

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
3.4

Chiaki Fujiwara

Great place to work and to develop a career.

I have been working at Hitachi America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hitachi America Ltd. is an excellent place to work. My supervisor, a Senior Procurement Manager, is a very capable engineer whom I hold in highest esteem. In general, my co-workers were competent and had a sense of belonging to the divisions or groups they work for. In my tenure as a procurement professional, it was a great experience working with Japanese expatriates and people from all over the world.

Cons

The work load was often compelling but the sense of teamwork and the support from upper management and your colleagues made it up.

intern

I have been working at Hitachi America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

no free lunch or dinner, have a work life balance, need to learn some japanese.

Cons

nice people, goood enviroments , free gym, nice room, good salary

Awesome and would love to go back-

Former Employee - Design and Development in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Design and Development in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Hitachi America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very helpful people, easy on timings, good pay and benifits

Cons

Nothing I can think of in last 8 months.

I honestly have nothing to say

Senior Control Technician

Former Employee - Senior Controls Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Controls Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Hitachi America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation, and work days. 7 days of work in a two week period.

Cons

Rotate shift every month. Technical staff has two organizations controlling them.

Define a clear chain of command with only one organization to manage staff.

Great company, but very challenging cross-cultural business environment.....

Former Employee - Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Product Specialist

I worked at Hitachi America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic company with cutting edge products in countless business segments all over the world! Good pay with great benefits. You will learn a lot about doing business internationally, and meet many smart, kind, and warmhearted people in the process.

Cons

The Japanese business culture is diametrically opposed to what most Americans are accustomed to and it can be a very difficult and stressful environment for those unfamiliar with how the Japanese business world operates. There are plenty of books on this topic along with lots of information on the Internet. I highly recommend researching the cultural differences between your home country and Japan. The hours can be long and work/life balance can be difficult to achieve depending on the team you're working with.

Hitachi's upper management needs to become more familiar with doing business outside Japan.

Hitach is an overall well run company that produces quality products.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hitachi America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Their culture is good. Hitachi America has a medium company feel to it despite the Large size of the Hitachi Corporation Globally.

Cons

The company is not as well structured to communicate internally as others I have worked for. There is an overlap of functionality between divisions which can lead to a duality of functions and redundancy of workload.

Try to improve communications across the group, such that customers feel they are dealing with one well co-ordinated entity.

Very Rewarding

I worked at Hitachi America

Pros

Smart people, very well organized

Cons

Some issues with Japanese culture

DE MGR

Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Hitachi America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a job, with great lower level people and great insurance. The retirement plan for the United States was a joke since the pay never changed.

Cons

Mgt was out of touch and if you were not from Japan, you had no say in anything. HR turned there head to Japanese actions in the United States. 3-5 year mgt assignments, meant you would have new leadership in a few years, usually worse than previous mgt. No long term goals. Working for today to make today's numbers look good since the mgt assignments were so short term. Probably the reason the facility shut down.

Moderate opportunities for growth but quality products to represent so its a tradeoff.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Hitachi America

Pros

If you perform they leave you alone, hence most successful people stay many years. Great medical/dental/vision plan. Pay package is average.

Cons

Management does not understand the business or customers enough. Not given the leeway to make the primary decisions in running the business.

Review the old school methods of running a business and join the 21st century using the latest technologies combined with more input from US staff.

Americans are second class at Hitachi.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Hitachi America

Pros

There are none. The company has no strategy or vision. Senior management are incompetent. The company has been in decline for many years as there is no strategy or vision for the company. Products are designed for Japan markets and shoved down the throats of international markets.

Cons

The company is going downhill, led by its parent.The company is a huge conglomerate in thousands of businesses with no critical mass in any one business. The products are all designed in Japan for the Japan market and scant attention is paid to designing products outside of Japan. Senior management is sent overseas from Japan and they spend most of their time playing golf, drinking or socializing.

Go back to Japan and let Americans run the business. There is little or no diversity in the work force. All decisions are made by ex-patriots and non-Japanese people are given little or no power or decision making responsibility. You do not understand AMerican or European markets but you are gicen total repsonsibility for the operation when you have no knowledge whatsoever.