Hitachi Consulting

Updated April 5, 2014
Updated April 5, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is very relaxed and the people are great. Great mentoring and learning opportunity.
    They give you important tasks early.

Cons

They focus on IT projects and less management consulting projects.

A me-too consulting company with poor strategic direction and awful execution.

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Individual contributors are the salvation of the company in spite of Hitachi's manglement (that's mangle and management combined).

Cons

Zero strategy or tactical approach to client growth and management. I can look around and see the same middle managers and vice president stuck in the same title for the last 10 years, mostly because they don't deserve promotion and they haven't been let go. Customer management and relationship building is largely non-existent.

Find an identity and create a real culture. Bring the client into the equation by fostering through partnerships. Institute a mentoring program to properly expand new talent's horizons.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Manager Specialized Services  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager Specialized Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting for more than 5 years

Pros

Hitachi Consulting is great place to work. I do not see any one getting disappointed with the opportunity offered by company

Cons

You need to work, just cannot play all the time.

You are amazing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A "sweet spot" within the technology consulting industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hitachi Consulting has work/life balance in consulting figured out. The fundamental travel requirement is inherently limiting, but HC leadership supports each person's individual needs to balance their lives. Propose a rational plan to meet the company/client's needs as well as your own and leaderhip is eager to work with you.

- Great projects
     - Many opportunities to contribute to firm and personal growth outside of project work
     - Current growth trajectory much higher than the industry providing opportunities for advancement at all levels.

Cons

- Consistent, rapid growth has caused tremendous change in internal operations which can be hard to keep up with.

Recent changes in communications and increased transparency in terms of how we manage our business has been very well received - please keep it going!

Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outstanding co workers
    Interesting projects
    Ability to move up quickly
    Ability to do different things

Cons

I have been traveling every week since I started. Once you get used to it, it isn't that bad unless of course you have a family.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Architect  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good projects with opportunities to learn other areas
    Good team spirit

Cons

Salary is below market
    Like all organizations, can be political at times

OK Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The team of people in the Atlanta office is really strong. They work well together and bring a great range of skill sets to the table.

Cons

The Executive Leadership seems out of touch. It seems like there is no communication between Phil Parr and the rest of the ELT. Perhaps they don't want to tell him bad news.

Revisit how the the ELT opperates. Its seems like a group of highly compensated individuals who don't want to tell their boss bad news.

Compensation Plans Lacking

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

There is a good mix of individuals working here. There are some bright spots, and some dimly lit bulbs that continue to hold onto a job. The local leadership is very attentive, but seem to have there hands tied when it comes to actioning items of concern from eployees.

Cons

Senior management out of touch with workers. Lots of projects under bid to beat competition putting undue stress on employees to ghost hours or to deliver sub standard work in lieu of having enough time to do the job right. Compensation is not where it needs to be in order to retain talented individuals.

Reevaluate the salary bands. If you look at the other firms that are trying to take your employees, you will see that their total compensation packages are much better than yours. Stop telling us that we are in line with the rest of the industry when we have resources like Glassdoor.com to verify that we are not.

Pay attention to your employees. If you continue to underbid projects just to "win" the work, you will "lose" in the long run. You are burning them out forcing them to ghost hours and forego PTO hours just to meet your unrealistic timelines. Perhaps you have been out of the trenches for too long to remember who makes this company successful, and the amount of work they produce for you.

Good culture, bad benefits.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Since it's a mid-tier consultancy there are opportunities for growth and leadership that the bigger companies can't offer. I've found most of the senior management to be caring and provide for a decent work life balance. Hitachi's leadership has done a good job navigating through these tough economic times. They have taken good sized paycuts, have communicated excellently, and created opportunities to avoid layoffs.

There seem to be good opportunities to grow quickly in terms of title and responsibility, especially if you are well liked by management.

Cons

The compensation and benefits package is poor relative to the competition. As such, Hitachi has a difficult time hiring and retaining talent. This leads to an overabundance of sub-contractors or desperation hires who end up creating more work for the talented employees.

Since it is a mid-tier consultancy competing with larger firms, I've noticed a tendency to under-bid projects which results in resources having to put in significant amounts of time with heavy pressure to "ghost" so as to not create negative effects on project financials.

There is also a lot of infighting between the different regions within the organization. While this has gotten better as more resources have been moved away from regional practices into national practices this is nonetheless an issue. Hitachi isn't big enough to support self sufficient practices within regions, and some decisions are made only to help make the region look better at the detriment to the company as a whole.

In order to build an excellent consultancy, Hitachi Consulting needs to invest in hiring, retaining, and training quality resources. It will cost more in the outset, but over time will improve improve the quality of work, increase client satisfaction, and save money with reduced reliance on sub-contractors and fewer staffing changes.

Hitachi Consulting provides a intimate enviroment to grow your career; but lacks the big consulting firm perks.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

People
    Chance for growth
    Access to Leadership

Cons

Training Investment
    Benefit Packages- (Stock options, Employee Perks, ect)

Invest in its employees

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!