Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Reset
4.4
Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • can maintain very good work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior managers and senior management do dirty politics (in 13 reviews)

1. Great People at HCC

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are all very kind and casual, everyone I've worked with has a can-do attitude, the work-life balance is paramount and they allow you the time to tend to your own life when needed, the on-the-job learning is unmatched

Cons

HCC has trouble retaining entry-level consultants through the manager level, many leave because of pay increases elsewhere, not much pre-scripted training and much of your career is self led.

Advice to Management

Give pay increases and added responsibility to SC level employees, ask more delivery of your VP levels, not all sales. Maybe reduce the number of VPs on staff.

2. Dynamic Workplace

Current Employee - Manager, Consulting Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager, Consulting Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity to be staffed in varying roles. M-Th travel is standard with some flexibility.

Cons

The annual review process focuses too little on the quality/quantity of work delivered and too much on the local popularity contest.

Advice to Management

While the culture of the company you are trying to establish is commendable, dont punish people that work very hard traveling for "not coming into the office for face time enough"

Great Culture

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is very relaxed and the people are great. Great mentoring and learning opportunity. They give you important tasks early.

Cons

They focus on IT projects and less management consulting projects.

A me-too consulting company with poor strategic direction and awful execution.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individual contributors are the salvation of the company in spite of Hitachi's manglement (that's mangle and management combined).

Cons

Zero strategy or tactical approach to client growth and management. I can look around and see the same middle managers and vice president stuck in the same title for the last 10 years, mostly because they don't deserve promotion and they haven't been let go. Customer management and relationship building is largely non-existent.

Advice to Management

Find an identity and create a real culture. Bring the client into the equation by fostering through partnerships. Institute a mentoring program to properly expand new talent's horizons.

6. Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Manager Specialized Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager Specialized Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hitachi Consulting is great place to work. I do not see any one getting disappointed with the opportunity offered by company

Cons

You need to work, just cannot play all the time.

Advice to Management

You are amazing

A "sweet spot" within the technology consulting industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hitachi Consulting has work/life balance in consulting figured out. The fundamental travel requirement is inherently limiting, but HC leadership supports each person's individual needs to balance their lives. Propose a rational plan to meet the company/client's needs as well as your own and leaderhip is eager to work with you. - Great projects - Many opportunities to contribute to firm and personal growth outside of project work - Current growth trajectory much higher than the industry providing opportunities for advancement at all levels.

Cons

- Consistent, rapid growth has caused tremendous change in internal operations which can be hard to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Recent changes in communications and increased transparency in terms of how we manage our business has been very well received - please keep it going!

8. Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding co workers Interesting projects Ability to move up quickly Ability to do different things

Cons

I have been traveling every week since I started. Once you get used to it, it isn't that bad unless of course you have a family.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good projects with opportunities to learn other areas Good team spirit

Cons

Salary is below market Like all organizations, can be political at times

OK Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The team of people in the Atlanta office is really strong. They work well together and bring a great range of skill sets to the table.

Cons

The Executive Leadership seems out of touch. It seems like there is no communication between Phil Parr and the rest of the ELT. Perhaps they don't want to tell him bad news.

Advice to Management

Revisit how the the ELT opperates. Its seems like a group of highly compensated individuals who don't want to tell their boss bad news.

Compensation Plans Lacking

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

There is a good mix of individuals working here. There are some bright spots, and some dimly lit bulbs that continue to hold onto a job. The local leadership is very attentive, but seem to have there hands tied when it comes to actioning items of concern from eployees.

Cons

Senior management out of touch with workers. Lots of projects under bid to beat competition putting undue stress on employees to ghost hours or to deliver sub standard work in lieu of having enough time to do the job right. Compensation is not where it needs to be in order to retain talented individuals.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the salary bands. If you look at the other firms that are trying to take your employees, you will see that their total compensation packages are much better than yours. Stop telling us that we are in line with the rest of the industry when we have resources like Glassdoor.com to verify that we are not. Pay attention to your employees. If you continue to underbid projects just to "win" the work, you will "lose" in the long run. You are burning them out forcing them to ghost hours and forego PTO hours just to meet your unrealistic timelines. Perhaps you have been out of the trenches for too long to remember who makes this company successful, and the amount of work they produce for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed