Hitachi Consulting

Philip R. Parr

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture

Atlanta, GA

ProsThe culture is very relaxed and the people are great. Great mentoring and learning opportunity.
    They give you important tasks early.

ConsThey focus on IT projects and less management consulting projects.

A me-too consulting company with poor strategic direction and awful execution.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsIndividual contributors are the salvation of the company in spite of Hitachi's manglement (that's mangle and management combined).

ConsZero strategy or tactical approach to client growth and management. I can look around and see the same middle managers and vice president stuck in the same title for the last 10 years, mostly because they don't deserve promotion and they haven't been let go. Customer management and relationship building is largely non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind an identity and create a real culture. Bring the client into the equation by fostering through partnerships. Institute a mentoring program to properly expand new talent's horizons.

Great Company to work for

Manager Specialized Services (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsHitachi Consulting is great place to work. I do not see any one getting disappointed with the opportunity offered by company

ConsYou need to work, just cannot play all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are amazing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A "sweet spot" within the technology consulting industry

Atlanta, GA

ProsHitachi Consulting has work/life balance in consulting figured out. The fundamental travel requirement is inherently limiting, but HC leadership supports each person's individual needs to balance their lives. Propose a rational plan to meet the company/client's needs as well as your own and leaderhip is eager to work with you.

- Great projects
     - Many opportunities to contribute to firm and personal growth outside of project work
     - Current growth trajectory much higher than the industry providing opportunities for advancement at all levels.

Cons- Consistent, rapid growth has caused tremendous change in internal operations which can be hard to keep up with.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent changes in communications and increased transparency in terms of how we manage our business has been very well received - please keep it going!

Manager

ProsOutstanding co workers
    Interesting projects
    Ability to move up quickly
    Ability to do different things

ConsI have been traveling every week since I started. Once you get used to it, it isn't that bad unless of course you have a family.

Good company to work for

Architect (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGood projects with opportunities to learn other areas
    Good team spirit

ConsSalary is below market
    Like all organizations, can be political at times

OK Place to Work

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe team of people in the Atlanta office is really strong. They work well together and bring a great range of skill sets to the table.

ConsThe Executive Leadership seems out of touch. It seems like there is no communication between Phil Parr and the rest of the ELT. Perhaps they don't want to tell him bad news.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit how the the ELT opperates. Its seems like a group of highly compensated individuals who don't want to tell their boss bad news.

Compensation Plans Lacking

Atlanta, GA

ProsThere is a good mix of individuals working here. There are some bright spots, and some dimly lit bulbs that continue to hold onto a job. The local leadership is very attentive, but seem to have there hands tied when it comes to actioning items of concern from eployees.

ConsSenior management out of touch with workers. Lots of projects under bid to beat competition putting undue stress on employees to ghost hours or to deliver sub standard work in lieu of having enough time to do the job right. Compensation is not where it needs to be in order to retain talented individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate the salary bands. If you look at the other firms that are trying to take your employees, you will see that their total compensation packages are much better than yours. Stop telling us that we are in line with the rest of the industry when we have resources like Glassdoor.com to verify that we are not.

Pay attention to your employees. If you continue to underbid projects just to "win" the work, you will "lose" in the long run. You are burning them out forcing them to ghost hours and forego PTO hours just to meet your unrealistic timelines. Perhaps you have been out of the trenches for too long to remember who makes this company successful, and the amount of work they produce for you.

Good culture, bad benefits.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSince it's a mid-tier consultancy there are opportunities for growth and leadership that the bigger companies can't offer. I've found most of the senior management to be caring and provide for a decent work life balance. Hitachi's leadership has done a good job navigating through these tough economic times. They have taken good sized paycuts, have communicated excellently, and created opportunities to avoid layoffs.

There seem to be good opportunities to grow quickly in terms of title and responsibility, especially if you are well liked by management.

ConsThe compensation and benefits package is poor relative to the competition. As such, Hitachi has a difficult time hiring and retaining talent. This leads to an overabundance of sub-contractors or desperation hires who end up creating more work for the talented employees.

Since it is a mid-tier consultancy competing with larger firms, I've noticed a tendency to under-bid projects which results in resources having to put in significant amounts of time with heavy pressure to "ghost" so as to not create negative effects on project financials.

There is also a lot of infighting between the different regions within the organization. While this has gotten better as more resources have been moved away from regional practices into national practices this is nonetheless an issue. Hitachi isn't big enough to support self sufficient practices within regions, and some decisions are made only to help make the region look better at the detriment to the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to build an excellent consultancy, Hitachi Consulting needs to invest in hiring, retaining, and training quality resources. It will cost more in the outset, but over time will improve improve the quality of work, increase client satisfaction, and save money with reduced reliance on sub-contractors and fewer staffing changes.

Hitachi Consulting provides a intimate enviroment to grow your career; but lacks the big consulting firm perks.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsPeople
    Chance for growth
    Access to Leadership

ConsTraining Investment
    Benefit Packages- (Stock options, Employee Perks, ect)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in its employees

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hitachi Consulting reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hitachi Consulting CEO Philip R. Parr. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Hitachi Consulting employees.