Hitachi Consulting

Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr

Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project(in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality(in 15 reviews)

Two words, not good. Pretty disappointing. Ppl are not friendly, particularly the staff that runs the office. Puppy Mill

Manager, Specialized Services (Current Employee)

Pros- Could look good in resume
    - Exposure to clients issues could be the saving grace to working here. This is where the learning happens.

Cons- terrible culture
    - work ethics (many don't respond to emails)
    - Very hierarchical management style (look up, not down)
    - difficult to get anything done that is not billable
    - poor training
    - sink or swim

No Real Future

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHitachi Consulting is becoming more competitive for large Oracle implementation

ConsHitachi Consulting continually pay less than market rates for employees and contractors so there is large turn over within the teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a very large amount of management overhead that needs to be evaluated and stream lined.

A me-too consulting company with poor strategic direction and awful execution.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIndividual contributors are the salvation of the company in spite of Hitachi's manglement (that's mangle and management combined).

ConsZero strategy or tactical approach to client growth and management. I can look around and see the same middle managers and vice president stuck in the same title for the last 10 years, mostly because they don't deserve promotion and they haven't been let go. Customer management and relationship building is largely non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind an identity and create a real culture. Bring the client into the equation by fostering through partnerships. Institute a mentoring program to properly expand new talent's horizons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with and an amazing collaborative culture that values its employees.

Senior Consultant II (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat mentoring and development structure, and very clear career path and progression system. Also, the right balance of local and travel projects with focus on a work-life balance.

ConsThe salaries and benefits are not competitive with other employers in the same industry and region. Additionally, the staffing process is not very crisp.

Worked in the Hyderabad Office - Good experience with the company. Learned a lot of informative things

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly environment and good campus to work at. Proximity to local community is great making the office very accessible

ConsNo cons of working with this company

Great place to grow your skills

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people and smart and collaborative. I have a lot of flexibility whether to travel or not (likely due to my specialized area). I am compensated fairly.

ConsHCC is going through some growing pains due to multiple global acquisitions while also trying to grow the service lines outside of more classical ERP-type services.

Great people - no vision

Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people, interesting work, chance to learn, good opportunities for training

Consno vision, one size fits all approach to employees that have different skills and jobs, management often seems to be wearing blinders.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking money or just growing is not a vision. You will get better work and more satisfaction out of employees if you treat them as individuals and not as identical cogs.

Has generally been very good, but in the last couple of years with new leadership in the US, things have deteriorated.

ProsGood, fun, smart people on projects

ConsUS Leadership team lacks ability to lead and motivate people. Vertical Industry teams are hostile to horizontal Solutons teams

No real differentiation in the market

Director (Current Employee)

ProsFor young consultants trying to gain experience, Hitachi can be a good place to work. Not sure it is a place to hang your hat for a career though given the lack of capabilites and innovative solutions.

ConsSeems to be a lack of commitment and understanding by executive management on how to grow a consulting company. Lack of breadth, depth and capabilites to compete with the big boys - ACN, IBM, Deloitte, etc. and no clear strategy on how their going to improve

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some experienced help that truly understands how to build a consulting company and differentiate themselves in the marketplace.

Great mid-size consulting firm but has its growing pains

Senior Manager, Specialized Services (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Engaged and open practice and executive leadership
    - Emphasizes a well-rounded consultant and not just pure technical skills
    - Provides opportunities for those that desire different career path - technical vs functional/managerial
     - Able to get engaged in projects earlier on when compared to bigger firms - get experience faster

Cons- Experiencing growing pains after re-alignments
    - Can be difficult to attract talent because name is not widely known
    - Support services (HR, Operations, Recruiting, etc...) is a little short staffed compared to current size and growth projections
    - Limited budget for vendor training
    - Difficult to get buy-in for non-billable initiatives even if, long-term, the investment is worth it
    - Because consultants ramp up their skills more quickly, find that large firms are pursuing them more actively which leads to some turnover of really good, young talent and a mid/top heavy organization

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!