Hitachi Consulting

Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr

Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project(in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality(in 15 reviews)

Has been a good opportunity for me

Manager Consulting Services (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsOne of the few companies in the last 20 years that has focused on my personal growth and development
    Opportunity to work with smart people
    Knowledge sharing between peers
    Support by local management

ConsOnboarding processes is an opportunity for improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Lots of changes with growing pains - but for the better

Manager Consulting Services (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTop notch people provide a stimulating professional environment and make it enjoyable. I have been able to work on a variety of projects that have built up my skills. I have seen a lot of increased focus on training and regimented skill development over the past year. Recently, HCC went from geography based teams to technology and management consulting teams that I see as a positive for my future career development. The changes were the result of a new Strategic plan to grow significantly over the next 5 years.

ConsDust needs to settle on all of the changes the past year, while I think they will be good in the long run, they have created much turmoil. Some people prefered the geography model. I personally enjoy travel and prefer to work on projects wherever the best opportunities are located. In a few years this may be a negative but for now it is not a problem for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more org changes for a while - stick to the significant growth strategy.

Hitachi Consulting

ProsIntelligent and engaging people. Career Opportunties

ConsConsistent and frequent feedback from supervisors on job performance is lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the operating model. Build more fun into the work (I know it's a tough economy, but we all need to have some fun along the way).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Culture - Excellent Clients

ProsGreat peer group
    People I like working with
    Cares about community
    Competitive Compenstion
    Long Term view (not just quarterly)
    Family atmosphere
    Tier One clients
    Can be part of a growing company
    Parent company is generous

ConsDon't have the scale yet to be great at everything

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading by example by demonstrating an interest in the people that make Hitachi Consulting a great place to work

Great place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI like working at Hitachi Consulting because we have a great leadership team and I love the people I work with. Everyone I know in my company is super smart and enjoyable to work with... Also there are a lot of career advancement opportunities and training.

ConsI feel like my salary is less than of my peers in other Consulting Companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlary bands should be transperant and disclosed at the company's intranet.

Collaborative environment

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe backbone of Hitachi Consulting is a strong collaborative environment;. The company also provides helpful mentors and career advisors who have significant consulting experience and tenure. As a small consulting practice, there is plenty of opportunity to contribute to internal development and create processes and programs that last for future generations. The opportunity to innovate and demonstrate your leadership skills is very strong - and very encouraged - in this environment.

ConsHitachi Consulting is still a small to mid-size company, so still has some process kinks to work out and the administrative load can sometimes be higher than at other large firms. Salary is sometimes lower, but the travel load is lighter and higher pay at other firms is sometimes really hazard pay for constant travel or working with competitive idiots.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and honest with employees. Don't sugarcoat.

In a tough year, Hitachi Consulting leadership continues to make good decisions and to focus on their people

Manager, Specialized Services (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHitachi Consulting has a fresh and dynamic culture, largely due to leadership's attantion to individual growth. People are challenged to grow while akoing room for work/life balance.

ConsPressure and work hours during high profile projects

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management is consistently focused on improvement. It will never be perfect (anywhere) but the Hitachi Consulting culture & career amnagement process is very good. Proces sis important but it's about people. and personal connections.

Building a career with great people...

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI work with really smart people that I respect and am challenged by every day. Not only does the industry require continuous learning about new clients and solutions, I am learning how to be a leader and grow directly from the people I work with every day. I also feel valued and a part of my local office community.

ConsProject depending, hours can be long and clients can be tough, but this is more a function of the industry than the the company specifically. Sometimes its tough to know what's going on across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell good work. Everything else comes after that.

Very good overall for an IT consulting firm

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people
    Easy access to leadership within the firm
    Good combination of being a relatively new company but also being stable and established in a lot of ways
    Work-life balance is generally very good for a consulting company
    Market focus helps keeps people local

ConsWhile the company has come a long way in the last few years, there is still room for improvement with regard to methodologies, processes, etc.
    Markets and practice areas are all managed in different ways

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on improving internal training, methodologies, etc. I think we are headed in the right direction there.

great place to work and build experience. plenty of really smart people.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prospeople, flexibility, opportunity, leadership, training programs, time off

Conspay, size of projects may be smaller than other larger companies.

Advice to Senior Managementsenior managers are sometimes stuck managing a difficult project after it has been sold with unrealistic expectations around scope.

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!