Hitachi Consulting

Hitachi Consulting Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr

Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project(in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality(in 15 reviews)

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love it!

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI love the atmosphere, the onboarding process is great and the work life balance is phenomenal! This job is as great as you make it and more!

ConsIt's a little hard to network and meet people because people aren't consistenly in the office but people are willing to meet you when they can.

Hitachi Consulting has an amazing amount of potential in store for careers at all levels.

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIncredible group of peers to both support and sharpen you
    Proven path of succession and high ceilings
    Competitive salaries and benefits

ConsFast growth can be overwhelming
    Long term but small projects can leave you feeling isolated and out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the career and performance management (CPM) a priority and well managed
    Keep the social calendar full and open for those in the field

Very good company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosamazing talent to work with
    great solution offered to the clients
    pushing forward to excel always

Consextensive travel
    relatively small-size company as compared to other big fishes

Advice to Senior Managementyou are the best, keep taking care of the employees as you are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've been at Hitachi Consulting and an acquired organization for more than 13 years and it's been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros* Hitachi Consulting has encouraged development of new consulting practices which will help us grow and differentiate ourselves.
    * Majority of the employees are smart, hard working talented people that are very interested in helping clients solve real problems
    * Most employees are good at collaborating with each other in order to provide the most value for our clients

Cons* Leadership team members (at times) seem like they are not all aligned. This can create competition among teams for staffing and credit etc. This is definitely getting better with the new org model of 2010 - I am seeing much more cooperation among teams now that the geo/market offices do not control account relationships and staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressure from leadership to form more of a pyramid structure (less top heavy, more bottom heavy) is not always consistent with the level of expertise that some of our clients expect/desire/need. Leadership needs to be careful to not adopt the "Andersen model" of the 80's in the 2010 decade.

Lots of changes with growing pains - but for the better

Manager Consulting Services (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTop notch people provide a stimulating professional environment and make it enjoyable. I have been able to work on a variety of projects that have built up my skills. I have seen a lot of increased focus on training and regimented skill development over the past year. Recently, HCC went from geography based teams to technology and management consulting teams that I see as a positive for my future career development. The changes were the result of a new Strategic plan to grow significantly over the next 5 years.

ConsDust needs to settle on all of the changes the past year, while I think they will be good in the long run, they have created much turmoil. Some people prefered the geography model. I personally enjoy travel and prefer to work on projects wherever the best opportunities are located. In a few years this may be a negative but for now it is not a problem for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more org changes for a while - stick to the significant growth strategy.

Very good overall for an IT consulting firm

ProsGreat people
    Easy access to leadership within the firm
    Good combination of being a relatively new company but also being stable and established in a lot of ways
    Work-life balance is generally very good for a consulting company
    Market focus helps keeps people local

ConsWhile the company has come a long way in the last few years, there is still room for improvement with regard to methodologies, processes, etc.
    Markets and practice areas are all managed in different ways

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on improving internal training, methodologies, etc. I think we are headed in the right direction there.

A great company to work for

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe people really make this firm. It's a fun and exciting place to grow your career. Everyone is very fair and treats each other with a great deal of respect. They offer a broad range of solutions and sell to many of the Fortune 100 companies. The solutions they offer allow people to build skills in relevant market solutions.

ConsIt's a very small consultancy that competes with the big firms, which can sometimes be wierd. Some of the training curiculum isn't too built out yet, although I hear they're working on it. Compensation can be a little on the low end for the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Talk with the Senior Consultant and Manager level people regularly.

Great mid-size consulting firm but has its growing pains

Senior Manager, Specialized Services (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Engaged and open practice and executive leadership
    - Emphasizes a well-rounded consultant and not just pure technical skills
    - Provides opportunities for those that desire different career path - technical vs functional/managerial
     - Able to get engaged in projects earlier on when compared to bigger firms - get experience faster

Cons- Experiencing growing pains after re-alignments
    - Can be difficult to attract talent because name is not widely known
    - Support services (HR, Operations, Recruiting, etc...) is a little short staffed compared to current size and growth projections
    - Limited budget for vendor training
    - Difficult to get buy-in for non-billable initiatives even if, long-term, the investment is worth it
    - Because consultants ramp up their skills more quickly, find that large firms are pursuing them more actively which leads to some turnover of really good, young talent and a mid/top heavy organization

Terrific company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsConcern for quality of life and work/life balance
    Challenging projects
    Good people to work with

ConsNeed to strike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals regarding pursuits and relationship management

Working with Hitachi Consulting as an Architect and Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood people, good management, job satisfaction, company stability

Consrequires national and sometime global travel, pay is not top dollar but reasonable

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!