Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Reset
2.8
Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • can maintain very good work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior managers and senior management do dirty politics (in 13 reviews)

1. A great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The people really make this firm. It's a fun and exciting place to grow your career. Everyone is very fair and treats each other with a great deal of respect. They offer a broad range of solutions and sell to many of the Fortune 100 companies. The solutions they offer allow people to build skills in relevant market solutions.

Cons

It's a very small consultancy that competes with the big firms, which can sometimes be wierd. Some of the training curiculum isn't too built out yet, although I hear they're working on it. Compensation can be a little on the low end for the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Talk with the Senior Consultant and Manager level people regularly.

2. Very good overall for an IT consulting firm

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great people Easy access to leadership within the firm Good combination of being a relatively new company but also being stable and established in a lot of ways Work-life balance is generally very good for a consulting company Market focus helps keeps people local

Cons

While the company has come a long way in the last few years, there is still room for improvement with regard to methodologies, processes, etc. Markets and practice areas are all managed in different ways

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving internal training, methodologies, etc. I think we are headed in the right direction there.

Lots of changes with growing pains - but for the better

Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Top notch people provide a stimulating professional environment and make it enjoyable. I have been able to work on a variety of projects that have built up my skills. I have seen a lot of increased focus on training and regimented skill development over the past year. Recently, HCC went from geography based teams to technology and management consulting teams that I see as a positive for my future career development. The changes were the result of a new Strategic plan to grow significantly over the next 5 years.

Cons

Dust needs to settle on all of the changes the past year, while I think they will be good in the long run, they have created much turmoil. Some people prefered the geography model. I personally enjoy travel and prefer to work on projects wherever the best opportunities are located. In a few years this may be a negative but for now it is not a problem for me.

Advice to Management

No more org changes for a while - stick to the significant growth strategy.

5. I've been at Hitachi Consulting and an acquired organization for more than 13 years and it's been a great experience

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

* Hitachi Consulting has encouraged development of new consulting practices which will help us grow and differentiate ourselves. * Majority of the employees are smart, hard working talented people that are very interested in helping clients solve real problems * Most employees are good at collaborating with each other in order to provide the most value for our clients

Cons

* Leadership team members (at times) seem like they are not all aligned. This can create competition among teams for staffing and credit etc. This is definitely getting better with the new org model of 2010 - I am seeing much more cooperation among teams now that the geo/market offices do not control account relationships and staffing.

Advice to Management

Pressure from leadership to form more of a pyramid structure (less top heavy, more bottom heavy) is not always consistent with the level of expertise that some of our clients expect/desire/need. Leadership needs to be careful to not adopt the "Andersen model" of the 80's in the 2010 decade.

6. Very good company to work for

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

amazing talent to work with great solution offered to the clients pushing forward to excel always

Cons

extensive travel relatively small-size company as compared to other big fishes

Advice to Management

you are the best, keep taking care of the employees as you are.

7. Hitachi Consulting has an amazing amount of potential in store for careers at all levels.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Incredible group of peers to both support and sharpen you Proven path of succession and high ceilings Competitive salaries and benefits

Cons

Fast growth can be overwhelming Long term but small projects can leave you feeling isolated and out of touch

Advice to Management

Keep the career and performance management (CPM) a priority and well managed Keep the social calendar full and open for those in the field

8. Love it!

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere, the onboarding process is great and the work life balance is phenomenal! This job is as great as you make it and more!

Cons

It's a little hard to network and meet people because people aren't consistenly in the office but people are willing to meet you when they can.

9. good company, smart experienced people - one of the best consulting firms to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

extremely well qualified colleagues who are excellent at mentoring and sharing knowledge. Brand recognition and business partnerships have a way of getting the company in the door, and people respect that. Hitachi Consulting has done extremely well in the BI arena and establised a name for itself. They adopt a local market approach, so the consultants don't have to travel as much (or at all in some cases), or you can be a part of the National team and be involved in some great, high-exposure engagements.

Cons

some baggage from previous acquisitions and the consulting environment. Compensation does not follow the same pattern as the IT market, which it turn makes consulting job salaries slightly lower than average IT jobs. Also, with consulting, you're expected to be an expert at the client site, and you may end up working longer hours at times.

Advice to Management

Pay better, higher bonuses.

10. Hitachi Consulting has a good strategic vision with good leadership.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

the people are great...accomplished and competent

Cons

compensation package is on the low side, inconsistent application of promotion criteria across practices

Advice to Management

need to apply consistent promotion and compensation criteria across practices

11. Lots of good people, but lacking in overall cohesiveness

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

There are many good people if you can get involved with them. Good partnerships with several key software vendors.

Cons

Way too much politics. Too much unfriendly competition between teams across the nation. Executive management doesn't appear to be genuinely concerned with making it a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Don't do the employee satisfaction surveys just to get an aggregate score - actually read and heed some of the feedback people give you in them! Stop trying to make it into another Arthur Andersen and just go with what works for the group you have.

RSS Feed </> Embed