Hitachi Consulting Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated April 5, 2014

3.1

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are talented and hard working people at Hitachi Consulting. You are paid decent wages and you are expected to work long hours.

Cons

The management team treats you like a commodity. Your opinions are not sought out. The management team keeps most of their employees in the dark. Layoffs happen quite regularly as Hitachi has trouble managing it's business . Don't expect to keep your job longer than two years.

Upper management needs new leadership.

The company is currently focused on growth at whatever cost

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Opportunity to become part of a fast growing company
    Opportunity to travel for consulting roles
    Opportunity to work with various technologies and industries

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity from the Executive Leadership down, without any regard to making any changes
    Priorties of "the firm" are the what you do (sales numbers, utilization), the how you accomplish is lower in importance - this says a lot about the culture of the company
    Mentoring is not considered a key contribution - it is expected, but it is not valued
    Technical training is not valued enough to set aside funding, the only way to get external training is if you find a project that can/will fund - thus you are limited to the technology of that project
    Promotions are clearly about who you know and not about what you do

Until you value your people, truly value them, you will continue to see your strong performers walk out the door. Yes, this is to be expected from a consulting firm (as clearly stated by Phil Parr) - and yet somehow our competitors (those much more successful than HCC) have been able to identify ways to keep their strong performers and even add to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not good

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good people
    Good clients
    Good training if you try to get it
    Good backing from an international firm who is on board with Hitachi being the global consulting arm
    Acquistion companies were fantastic

Cons

Terrible strategy going forward
    Everyone came here to work for one reason, now we are on another
    Focus on profitabilty a terrible message
    This is consulting - it is about the people
    Hemorraging people

Focus on the people going forward. Very few people are on board with the strategy. Treat people right - you have not for a long time now. Make an acquisition and quit messing around - if your strategy is to be a $1B company then do it & quit pretending.

Hitachi Consulting is the worst consulting company this 30 year industry veteran has ever seen. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Hitachi Consulting is one of the worst consulting companies I have ever experienced. I have been working in the industry for over 30 years and the Hitachi Consulting leadership is some of the worst I have ever experienced. The morale at Hitachi Consulting is the lowest I have ever experienced. There is a massive gap between those favorites of the leadership team and the rest of the company. The region with the favorites are always promoted and the others are left to earn money and feed the salaries of those in the good ole boys club.

Cons

The leadership has no concept of how to create a team environment. Favoritism is rampant throughout the company with promotions based on personal relationships.

Promote based on metrics and stop the discrimination, favoritism, and blatant disregard for actual abilities.

Great people - no vision

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, interesting work, chance to learn, good opportunities for training

Cons

no vision, one size fits all approach to employees that have different skills and jobs, management often seems to be wearing blinders.

Making money or just growing is not a vision. You will get better work and more satisfaction out of employees if you treat them as individuals and not as identical cogs.

Low morale these days - people are leaving in herds...

Current Employee - Support Services  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Support Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great people
    Good work/life balance
    Good benefits
    Heavy emphasis on local community activities

Cons

Poor pay not in line with market and slow process to advance
    Too many and continuous organizational changes

Senior Management needs to be more consistent and become more in tune with what is actually going on at the various offices across the country. Morale has plummetted across the firm this past year with the new operating model. Something has to be done to motivate people again - they are leaving in herds.

Work your butt off for no reward

Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

some of the people are nice, talented, and genuine
    fun beer chugging culture

Cons

salary + benefits. they will give you excuses all day long as to how they are paying 'market' rates and why they can't pay you x.
    leadership & management are all talk and full of excuses. they play favorites and it shows.
    can't get their act straight to really become a big 4 like they want.

value your workers, stop being subjective in promotions and salaries and ratings, pay your workers, stop making excuses and giving us bs. everyone under the VP level may seem like they admire the VPs, but deep down people are untrusting of anyone over VP.

Good people, third-tier consultancy

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The fellow consultants are fairly warm hearted and professional. Before losing many of the top guys, good deal of industry expertise and years of experience at the firm.

Cons

The management is completely scattered. Was disappointed in the lack of communication and paths for advancement. Compensation is far below market average. Don't know if this was a cultural issue with the senior management from Japan (which to be fair was very nice to work with), but would not advise HC as a good gig. Other support services were minimal. Company has experienced a lot of brain drain in recent years -- many of the better people have left for other gigs that pay market.

Senior decisions seem to be made in a closet and communicated poorly.

an okay place to park your career for a few years

Former Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

small consulting company with greta quality of consultants.
    The oroginal company Tactica was superb, which went downhill after acquisition of Anderson consulting team which took over the company and brought a lot of favoritism in play
    comparable benefits

Cons

a lot of favoritism and disregard for hardworking consultants when it was time for promotion. Promotions were based on your selling skills rather than delivery skills.

be fair, reduce favoritism, provide a career path for technically solid consultants instead of trying to make them salespersons.

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!