Hitachi Consulting

Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 40 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 13 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are talented and hard working people at Hitachi Consulting. You are paid decent wages and you are expected to work long hours.

Cons

The management team treats you like a commodity. Your opinions are not sought out. The management team keeps most of their employees in the dark. Layoffs happen quite regularly as Hitachi has trouble managing it's business . Don't expect to keep your job longer than two years.

Upper management needs new leadership.

Love it!

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere, the onboarding process is great and the work life balance is phenomenal! This job is as great as you make it and more!

Cons

It's a little hard to network and meet people because people aren't consistenly in the office but people are willing to meet you when they can.

A good company to work for covering a wide breadth of technology and functional areas

Current Employee - Architect/Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Architect/Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers flexibility, cross trainging across multiple functional areas, covers technology platforms like Microsoft, Oracle and SAP. Offers multiple functional and cross technology and cross functional areas.

Cons

Growing pains associated with a steep growth plan

The company is currently focused on growth at whatever cost

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Opportunity to become part of a fast growing company
    Opportunity to travel for consulting roles
    Opportunity to work with various technologies and industries

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity from the Executive Leadership down, without any regard to making any changes
    Priorties of "the firm" are the what you do (sales numbers, utilization), the how you accomplish is lower in importance - this says a lot about the culture of the company
    Mentoring is not considered a key contribution - it is expected, but it is not valued
    Technical training is not valued enough to set aside funding, the only way to get external training is if you find a project that can/will fund - thus you are limited to the technology of that project
    Promotions are clearly about who you know and not about what you do

Until you value your people, truly value them, you will continue to see your strong performers walk out the door. Yes, this is to be expected from a consulting firm (as clearly stated by Phil Parr) - and yet somehow our competitors (those much more successful than HCC) have been able to identify ways to keep their strong performers and even add to them.

Great

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great working environment for professional growth

Cons

Below average pay among the other big consulting firms

none

Hitachi Consulting has an amazing amount of potential in store for careers at all levels.

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Incredible group of peers to both support and sharpen you
    Proven path of succession and high ceilings
    Competitive salaries and benefits

Cons

Fast growth can be overwhelming
    Long term but small projects can leave you feeling isolated and out of touch

Keep the career and performance management (CPM) a priority and well managed
    Keep the social calendar full and open for those in the field

Very good company to work for

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

amazing talent to work with
    great solution offered to the clients
    pushing forward to excel always

Cons

extensive travel
    relatively small-size company as compared to other big fishes

you are the best, keep taking care of the employees as you are.

Low morale these days - people are leaving in herds...

Current Employee - Support Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Support Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great people
    Good work/life balance
    Good benefits
    Heavy emphasis on local community activities

Cons

Poor pay not in line with market and slow process to advance
    Too many and continuous organizational changes

Senior Management needs to be more consistent and become more in tune with what is actually going on at the various offices across the country. Morale has plummetted across the firm this past year with the new operating model. Something has to be done to motivate people again - they are leaving in herds.

Senior Consultant

Pros

Pros
    - great place to start you career
    - talented peers and managers
    - exposure to a lot of different projects

Cons

Cons
    - Work life balance can be a challenge
    - living out of a suitcase is fun in the beginning

- reward your existing employee before you look for outside talent. Pay your existing employee in line with market please

Hitachi Consulting Photos