Hitachi Consulting

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Consultant

Pros

Pros
    - great place to start you career
    - talented peers and managers
    - exposure to a lot of different projects

Cons

Cons
    - Work life balance can be a challenge
    - living out of a suitcase is fun in the beginning

- reward your existing employee before you look for outside talent. Pay your existing employee in line with market please

I've been at Hitachi Consulting and an acquired organization for more than 13 years and it's been a great experience

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

* Hitachi Consulting has encouraged development of new consulting practices which will help us grow and differentiate ourselves.
    * Majority of the employees are smart, hard working talented people that are very interested in helping clients solve real problems
    * Most employees are good at collaborating with each other in order to provide the most value for our clients

Cons

* Leadership team members (at times) seem like they are not all aligned. This can create competition among teams for staffing and credit etc. This is definitely getting better with the new org model of 2010 - I am seeing much more cooperation among teams now that the geo/market offices do not control account relationships and staffing.

Pressure from leadership to form more of a pyramid structure (less top heavy, more bottom heavy) is not always consistent with the level of expertise that some of our clients expect/desire/need. Leadership needs to be careful to not adopt the "Andersen model" of the 80's in the 2010 decade.

Not good

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good people
    Good clients
    Good training if you try to get it
    Good backing from an international firm who is on board with Hitachi being the global consulting arm
    Acquistion companies were fantastic

Cons

Terrible strategy going forward
    Everyone came here to work for one reason, now we are on another
    Focus on profitabilty a terrible message
    This is consulting - it is about the people
    Hemorraging people

Focus on the people going forward. Very few people are on board with the strategy. Treat people right - you have not for a long time now. Make an acquisition and quit messing around - if your strategy is to be a $1B company then do it & quit pretending.

Amazing Team To Work With

Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Hitachi Consulting has some of the brightest people I've ever worked with. They consistently demonstrate excellence in their work and deliverables and thought leadership in their solutions and recommendations. I love coming to work every day and being challenged and inspired by my peers and leadership. Because of the relationships we've developed with various vendors and partners, I've also had many opportunities that I would never find in another organization.

Despite being a mid-sized company, Hitachi Consulting frequently competes with the top IT and Strategy Consulting firms in the U.S. The focus on projects versus staff augmentation contracts ensures that the work is both challenging and rewarding.

Cons

As a young company having been formed from several acquisitions, the culture at Hitachi Consulting is still very much in flux. While this offers opportunities to influence the culture and define the work environment, it also leads to inconsistencies in go-to-market strategy, employee expectations and measures, and internal communication.

While an attitude of "profitability first" may seem appropriate in the current economic climate, it is not particularly encouraging to employees. Everyone needs to understand the need to control costs and drive revenue, but focusing on the bottom line at the expense of employee needs will have a significant impact on retention and morale--both of which will affect the developing culture, partner relations, and revenue stream as significantly as any of the other measures being taken to ensure a profitable company. In other words, take care of the employees and they'll take care of your profitability.

Mediocre talent meeting the status quo

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Initiative is generally recognized and rewarded
    Company is willing to make investments where appropriate
    Company can leverage a big name even though they are small
    Leadership generally reactive to employee needs (seems to be changing)
    Travel is usually accomodating (travel if you want or stay local if you want)
    Nice winter holiday break (office shuts down for at least a week)
    Generally turns down staff augmentation work unless very strategic

Cons

Horribly corrupt salary bands (ex: some SC salaries > some SM salaries)
    Poor total compensation (little/no bonus, no 401K match, zero 2010 raises)
    Out of touch senior leadership that also plays favorites
    Messed up culture born from growth by acquisition with an inability to grow organtically
    Large inconsistencies between geographies

Almost every con I listed can be attributed to growth by acquisition. We are a big melting pot of different organizations, each with its own salaries and cultures. Perhaps Hitachi Consulting needs to put the brakes on fast growth and establish a consistent message, strategy, and culture before trying to grow rapidly.

Lots of changes with growing pains - but for the better

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Top notch people provide a stimulating professional environment and make it enjoyable. I have been able to work on a variety of projects that have built up my skills. I have seen a lot of increased focus on training and regimented skill development over the past year. Recently, HCC went from geography based teams to technology and management consulting teams that I see as a positive for my future career development. The changes were the result of a new Strategic plan to grow significantly over the next 5 years.

Cons

Dust needs to settle on all of the changes the past year, while I think they will be good in the long run, they have created much turmoil. Some people prefered the geography model. I personally enjoy travel and prefer to work on projects wherever the best opportunities are located. In a few years this may be a negative but for now it is not a problem for me.

No more org changes for a while - stick to the significant growth strategy.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great People to work with
    Strong Technology practices
    Promise of something great
    Fun work enviornment
    Support from a large organization & opportunities for International projects

Cons

Think they are bigger than they actually are
    Everyone is spread way too thin on roles
    Lack of focus on specific initiatives

Be what you are until something bigger comes along
    Remember it is all about the people - this is consulting

Work your butt off for no reward

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

some of the people are nice, talented, and genuine
    fun beer chugging culture

Cons

salary + benefits. they will give you excuses all day long as to how they are paying 'market' rates and why they can't pay you x.
    leadership & management are all talk and full of excuses. they play favorites and it shows.
    can't get their act straight to really become a big 4 like they want.

value your workers, stop being subjective in promotions and salaries and ratings, pay your workers, stop making excuses and giving us bs. everyone under the VP level may seem like they admire the VPs, but deep down people are untrusting of anyone over VP.

Good Place to Gain Experience

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Culture
    Time Off
    Work-Life Balance
    Ability to live anywhere

Cons

Low, Uncompetitive Salary
    No 401k Matching

Your words of encouragement mean nothing if you don't compensate your consultants with competitive salaries. Get used to employees moving on to bigger and better companies. "You get what you pay for..."

Super People, good benefits

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The people are great, smart and professional. There are great things on the horizon with the new CEO in place.

Cons

401k match could be better and of course, compensation could be higher, but all in all it is a great place to work.

Hitachi Consulting should continue to recognize people for the great work they do. The quarterly meetings, community service activities and office events are keys to maintaining the great culture inherent there.

Hitachi Consulting Photos