Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Reset
2.9
Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • can maintain very good work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior managers and senior management do dirty politics (in 13 reviews)

1. Great company to work for despite a few problems

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for growth, especially for a younger individual, depending on your project. Lots of independence as a consultant, depending on your project. Great people with a good overall culture, smart and friendly folks. Mostly flat hierarchically, with geographical office leaders that are generally accessible and approachable. Good benefits options.

Cons

Work/life balance can be an issue, if you allow it (also depends greatly on a particular project, client, and project manager!). This is generally typical with consulting. Salary is at a decent level, but not quite high enough to keep me from looking for different opportunities. Offices in downtown Los Angeles and Irvine but the salaries do not reflect that! Mandatory events, which can be fun, but I'm still expected to bill full hours to the client/ project I'm working on. Depending on where you work these can be fairly time consuming. Review process seems more like a local popularity contest.

Advice to Management

Annual review process arbitrary, which is discouraging. Ditch the mandatory events. Respect people's time, especially those who are consistently billing.

2. Director of Business Development

Former Employee - National Director of Business Development in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong relationships with the office of the CIO

Cons

Doesn't provide business solutions, only technology solutions

Director - Strategic Technology Solutions

Former Employee - Director - Strategic Technology Solutions in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director - Strategic Technology Solutions in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good team of people, great knowledge within the peers.

Cons

Management is a little off in terms of setting priorities and direction, lack of mentorship and clear career progression.

Advice to Management

Align resources to the right industry and level, provide opportunities for people to grow within the organization.

Good place to join right out of college

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of peers around the same age, interests. When starting out of college, everyone is joining at the same position and going through the same training and intro to work. You meet a lot of great people and learn a lot.

Cons

Pay is lower than other consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Be more direct and detailed about career progression.

No Bad

Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hitachi consulting offshore is good for place to work for new college graduates, as they get quite good exposure very quickly. The sierra Atlantic management is good in catering your personal career goals.

Cons

Very low pay to offshore transfers to US compared to locals.

Not a great company to start your career, especially if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a open-door policy overall, you can reach upper levels of management very easily. The social scene is nice for younger employees.

Cons

If you are looking to start a consulting career where you gain exposure to multiple businesses, and learn and apply your skills on short-term projects, this is definitely not the company for you. At least not in the LA region, and especially not if you're technology-focused. You will be put in a long-term project where you will stay for upwards of 2 years, driving to some LA suburb, and working on boring projects using aging technology. Think you will have more flexibility at a smaller firm, and get a more personal experience? Wrong, do yourself a favor and accept that offer at the bigger firm. Don't make the mistake like me and waste these crucial early years of your career.

Advice to Management

Give your lower level employees the mobility to move around projects. That is what they joined a consulting company for.

Consultant at Hitachi

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Exposure to many clients 2) Relatively stable company 3) Exposure & networking with other Hitachi companies (although this is by chance). 4) Learn project management in practice

Cons

1) Too much administrative overhead 2) Despite many processes designed to give transparency in promotion process, the current process is very shady 3) Management is unable to fully take advantage of other Hitachi sister companies 4) Identity crisis between technology consulting & management consulting 5) Unwilling to invest in staff education & the current training is useless & not in touch with technology sector

Advice to Management

1) Further utilize relationship with other Hitachi companies 2) Stop favoritism 3) Invest in employee education

Director - Strategy

Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand association due to the Parent company.

Cons

Lack of a growth strategy, declining market share, acquisitions are a disaster since the acquired teams are completely neglected.

Advice to Management

Its about time to realize and embrace globalization to stay competitive & expand operations.

Great teammates and interesting work almost made up for the terrible salary

Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with at Hitachi Consulting were, with only a few exceptions*, smart, motivated, reliable and fun, and a job like this is only bearable when you have great teammates, due to the heavy travel, long hours and sometime difficult clients and nightmare projects. Of course some projects go well, are exciting, and teach you a bunch of new things, and my experience was that even the trainwrecks were rarely the fault primarily of Hitachi--a terrible client will undermine even the best consultants' efforts to help them.** Hitachi Consulting tries (sometimes a little too hard, but that's better than indifference) to foster a cohesive corporate culture and make people feel connected to others in the regional practice (about 150 people at the time I was there), which can be tough when people are staffed on long projects at far-flung client sites. I didn't entirely appreciate this aspect of the company until I worked at Deloitte Consulting where it's so easy to feel like a cog in an enormous and very hierarchical machine. If I ran into a technical problem that wasn't easily resolved I could send a broadcast message to the member of the relevant competency and people were great about taking time to reply with useful information and helpful advice, even though they were often across the country and we might never have met in person. In the case of problems tricky enough to require a collaborative approach to solving, people regularly carved out time from their already busy days, staying late or missing lunch, to do a web-ex or whatever was needed to help out. I also appreciated that there was a minimal amount of the three P's (Pettiness, Politics and Power-trips—hey, I just coined a phrase!) compared with some places I've worked. And although the annual review and career management processes were cumbersome and time-consuming, they were worth it because of the objectivity and transparency the detailed exercise lent to a process that can be woefully opaque, if not plainly arbitrary at some jobs.

Cons

*One of the exceptions I mentioned in the Pros section happened to be my designated Career Advisor. Bummer. **I also mention in the Pros section the fact that Hitachi had its share of troubled projects, as well as my perception that the majority of blame usually belonged more to the chronically difficult clients where they those projects went on than to HCC. The problem was that Hitachi Consulting would never walk away from that type of client; they were just too desperate for the work. They were always in tough spot, trying to compete for the same big projects as the household-name big-four firms, and the same small projects (at least in my competency) as the specialized boutiques, with low overhead and rockstar consultants, and it was tough for them. The old cliché is that nobody ever lost their job for hiring IBM (I might be paraphrasing). So Hitachi had to undercut the bigger firms on rate to be in the running, and they had to take the dysfunctional clients that weren't worth the trouble they cause to the Accentures of the world. The other problem with that, from an employee's perspective, is that to bid for the same work as Deloitte or Accenture, but with a enough discount to differentiate themselves, Hitachi had to keep salaries way down compared to those firms. It's a testament to their college-hire recruiting, their non-fiscal retention efforts, and the appeal of a no-travel local model (since abandoned) that they had such a high-caliber group of people willing to work for less than they could have gotten at a big firm. I imagine that for most of those people, the promise of not having to travel every week was a worthwhile trade-off for the smaller salary But my experience was much less positive, and by any reasonable measure I was badly underpaid at Hitachi Consulting. When the Great Recession sent everyone's business into a tailspin in late '08 and early '09, I (along with a majority of HCC employees not RIF'ed outright) was offered a choice of furlough (no work, receive 30% of salary plus UI) or a decent severance. I took the latter and was promptly hired by Deloitte, where my first year compensation represented a NEARLY 50% INCREASE from what I made my last year at Hitachi—and this was at the absolute low-point of the most severe economic downturn in 70 years. So I think it's fair to say I was below market value. Yet they never would have adjusted me to a fair amount. I was promoted from Sr Consultant to Manager/Architect after a year and got less than an $8K pay raise, and was still in the five-figures, less than I'd been making in 2000 at an industry job with <10% travel. I only accepted the original offer from Hitachi because the local model was supposed to mean being home every night and because I had a one-year-old daughter. So as mentioned, that seemed like a reasonable trade-off, given that most consulting jobs require constant travel (though there are notable exceptions, like Slalom where a lot of Hitachi people now work). Unfortunately the VP who hired me couldn't sell any work in the local market, so if I wanted to be utilized at all it turned out that I was flying all over the country, pretty much the entire time I worked there. Fully half of my projects were in the Eastern time zone, which is a killer if you live in California because you have to fly out Sunday instead of Monday morning. Say goodbye to half your weekend every single week.That was a big enough drag later on when Deloitte made me do the same thing, but at least they were paying me for it; it really stunk to be doing the same work, with the same travel obligations, but at the paltry Hitachi Consulting "local model" salary I'd accepted in the belief that I'd see my wife and daughter every day in exchange.

11. Horrible work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company Brand name Can't really think of much more than that

Cons

Disorganized Left hand does not know what right hand is doing

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments. Promises are made and never delivered. Care about employees

RSS Feed </> Embed