Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Reset
3.2
Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • can maintain very good work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior managers and senior management do dirty politics (in 13 reviews)

1. Hitachi is OK.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good people, interesting work, some work life balance

Cons

Limited advancement tied to tenure, not as much performance

Advice to Management

Support good work and motivate people instead of finding ways to limit them.

2. Good enough for now.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Small company feel: There is a smaller company feel, I don't feel like I've just been lost in the group. This is nice to have while still having a decent brand behind us. People have at least heard of Hitachi even if it's not the consulting branch. Job security: It's really hard to get fired here, you really have to screw up really bad or just be lazy and/or incompetent. Fortunately we don't work with too many peers that are incompetent. There is a defined pathway to progression, although at times a little foggy. This helps to ensure that if I complete certain behaviors I should be promoted in a reasonable fashion.

Cons

Salary: The salary is fairly poor, despite the bands that glass door has established, I can tell from experience that I fall well below the calculated band. As a consulting firm, we frequently are looked down upon by the "bigger dogs". This is not necessarily a bad thing, just requires more back bone. I have been told frequently by those in upper management that they don't care about education past the bachelors level, this is frustrating as I spent a fortune getting an MBA but they pay me the same that they pay someone that does not have an advanced degree; as long as that person has similar work experience they will pay the same.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel more valuable. Employee recognition is minimal and the bonus structure is laughable.

3. The Pursuit of Quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Challenging work, projects, and clients. If you have the right skillset or want to build a skillset, this is a great place to do it. Those who have the confidence and ability to ask for what they want will get it (as is the way life goes, right?)

Cons

There is a perceived inconsistency between management styles, but this is typical of any organization and internal efforts are being made to provide more consistency.

Advice to Management

Quality will always win over politics. If senior management can focus on hiring the best and keeping them (us) happy, then the company will grow, business will increase, and revenues will follow.

Hitachi Consulting = Team Environment + Lots of Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

1) Senior Management (in my office) has a *very* open door policy 2) Team atmosphere amongst co-workers as opposed to competition for good laddering (the firm doesn't succeed unless we all succeed) 3) Small offices make for a family-like team 4) Feels like a startup company where you are given a lot of opportunities to be a utility player and thereby obtain myriad experience 5) More flexibility than competitors in terms of whether you'd like to travel or not

Cons

1) Lack of a stock purchase plan such as an ESPP 2) Annual review process is cumbersome, as it is at all consulting firms where their people is the product

Advice to Management

From a local standpoint, the VP's in my office are absolutely fantastic. More communication from our CEO to all employees would be encouraged.

6. Hitachi Consulting is a great place to work, despite some quirks.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The people are Hitachi Consulting are of high quality and high caliber - individuals who are dedicated to their jobs.

Cons

The disconnect from the practice. We have a stronger connection with our clients versus those within the practice. At times, the managers and directors from the client has a better understanding of the project then the managers within the practice.

Advice to Management

Mentor and help grow the individuals within the practice. It is important to continue to stay in contact with junior resources so that they continue to feel like a member of the practice.

7. good company, smart experienced people - one of the best consulting firms to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

extremely well qualified colleagues who are excellent at mentoring and sharing knowledge. Brand recognition and business partnerships have a way of getting the company in the door, and people respect that. Hitachi Consulting has done extremely well in the BI arena and establised a name for itself. They adopt a local market approach, so the consultants don't have to travel as much (or at all in some cases), or you can be a part of the National team and be involved in some great, high-exposure engagements.

Cons

some baggage from previous acquisitions and the consulting environment. Compensation does not follow the same pattern as the IT market, which it turn makes consulting job salaries slightly lower than average IT jobs. Also, with consulting, you're expected to be an expert at the client site, and you may end up working longer hours at times.

Advice to Management

Pay better, higher bonuses.

A good place to begin your consulting career and get tons of exposure but has several areas to improve.

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

It is a good place to start a career in Consulting and learn a lot. Your fellow employees are solid. It is a "safer" consulting job. Great exposure to large, solid companies. Can learn alot from the SMEs at the company. Everyone is very helpful and goes out of their way to help if asked. Great downtown office location and amazing view.

Cons

Poor management structure on projects. Many times you feel like you are on an island and have no support system. Poor training opportunities. In many occaisions, you are not put in a situation to succeed. You have to fight to get staffed on projects you want to be on. Several of the lower level managers are not good at managing but solid in delivery. Politics protect poor performers. People get overstreteched by project work and are then asked to work on internal initiatives. The company comes off as "cheap" at many of their events and practices. The company struggles to hire solid experianced help and retain its stars.

Advice to Management

Staff projects appropiately - have the structure of a Manager, a Senior Consultant, and a Consultant. Do more to develop the culture and reward people for working hard. Be more direct and avoid being passive when it comes to feedback and management. Do more to get manager feedback to be more immediate.

9. A great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The people really make this firm. It's a fun and exciting place to grow your career. Everyone is very fair and treats each other with a great deal of respect. They offer a broad range of solutions and sell to many of the Fortune 100 companies. The solutions they offer allow people to build skills in relevant market solutions.

Cons

It's a very small consultancy that competes with the big firms, which can sometimes be wierd. Some of the training curiculum isn't too built out yet, although I hear they're working on it. Compensation can be a little on the low end for the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Talk with the Senior Consultant and Manager level people regularly.

10. Not great; not awful

Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Nice people; flexible schedule; good work/life balance

Cons

Lack of representation of all genders, races; disconnected leadership team to rest of company; lack of employee communication

Advice to Management

Improve your communication with the company

Good people to work with, enthusiastic culture.

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good people to work with, enthusiastic culture. Focus on developing and growing the business. Good projects and account opportunities. Great place for exposure to many different methodologies, projects and clients. Leadership committed to making change and repsonding to concerns of the workforce.

Cons

Totally male dominated at the senior/ Vice President level. Location is not very central. Industry groups compete for good people and resources. Still some VP's have their 'favourites' and other people don't get a chance. Some of the selling methods are to pushy. A lot of presure to sell and meet revenue targets.

Advice to Management

Keep to your commitments. Provide more opportunities in senior positions for women and ethnic minorities. Focus more on working as 'One team' rather than in industry silos. Focus on rewarding thought leadership

RSS Feed </> Embed