Hitachi Consulting

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 40 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 13 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Has generally been very good, but in the last couple of years with new leadership in the US, things have deteriorated.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Good, fun, smart people on projects

Cons

US Leadership team lacks ability to lead and motivate people. Vertical Industry teams are hostile to horizontal Solutons teams

Cautionary to those who wish to join Hitachi Consulting India which plays hire and fire game.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Duration of stay in office(Punch in & punch out time)min. 5 hours, if you join in mid level or senior management you can read newspaper or carry news paper to the office as well.

Cons

The curse on the company is it has inherited dead mass in form of old employees (working in organization more than 10 to 20 year from sierra atlanta) who have been punching and lunching all the while ,they lost touch with industry trends, technology and most importantly lack vision, the company hires people based on the pipeline rather than actual purchase order in hand, when the conversion of pipeline to PO’s is not materialized the people on bench or people hired for the projects in pipeline are vulnerable to getting fired for no mistake of theirs.

The most risky aspect is that company is heavily dependent on 2 to 3 clients engagements (which has resources of 50 to 100 on each engagement) any major budget cuts/pull back by the clients has a cascading effect on the company increasing its headcount on the bench, since the company is heavy on the top management , they cannot maintain a bench of 10%(which is bear minimal in any organization)

Get rid of your idle dead mass(Senior and Mid Level Management in India ) Mr. CEO.

Horrible work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big company
    Brand name
    Can't really think of much more than that

Cons

Disorganized
    Left hand does not know what right hand is doing

Follow through on commitments. Promises are made and never delivered.
    Care about employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Director  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hitachi Brand;
    Decent Oracle practice;
    global company

Cons

Management has no vision; does not treasure people, view them as a tool to make money; wants to compete as Tier 1 consultant but in reality far from it and has no idea how to get there
    All that management knows is to buy buy buy to inflate the market value of the company
    Low pay, meager severance,

really go about treating the employess as asset instead of paying lip service
    treat people with respect and dignity
    establish medium to long term plans that are not just focusing on the bottom line

Horrible Senior Management in Irvine Office

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient Location Very close to freeway

Cons

Senior Project Managers in Irvine office very terrible. They work for company last 10 years. Dont know technology. Unprofessional. One of them tells "You are a moron". They very deceiving. They don't like your work even when you work is good. Stay away from Irvine office. They use you and then throw you and lie to higher management that you dont work. They very unprofessional cunning. Work for los angeles office not irvine office. Very disappointed.

Fire senior managers in Irvine office. Dont matter if they work for company last 10 years. They very terrible

Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

Disappointed that management doesn't value employees, everyone is replaceable

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

At one time there were exciting opportunities for growth

Cons

Poor management, limited opportunities, no innovation

As a consulting organization, your people are your product, therefore it is imperative to value your employees and build a culture of trust and respect

Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits(Insurance) but don't expect to get a bonus anytime soon.

Cons

Upper management does not have the ability to lead or teach. Everyone is out for themselves. This company is a joke do not leave your old job and don't trust anything they say. Really bad reputation among former clients, almost to the point of embarrassment.

Start looking for a job now. This company will not be around long.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are talented and hard working people at Hitachi Consulting. You are paid decent wages and you are expected to work long hours.

Cons

The management team treats you like a commodity. Your opinions are not sought out. The management team keeps most of their employees in the dark. Layoffs happen quite regularly as Hitachi has trouble managing it's business . Don't expect to keep your job longer than two years.

Upper management needs new leadership.

No job security, overburdened employees, no transparency : DO NOT JOIN

Former Employee - Manager  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary: At times you might feel that your salary is on the higher side. However, if you are on bench then your salary might result in you getting laid off (fired)

Cons

1. No planning at senior management and recruitment level: Talented people are recruited like anything inspite of the fact that there are no projects. The senior management keep on saying - "we have a good pipeline", however there are no projects and new joinees as well confirmed employees who came out of projects are being laid off within a day.

2. It is a CMM level 3 company, but behaves like a CMM Level 5 company and talks high about process and process and complicate things unnecessarily.

3. At the time of offer they said - "Notice period is of 30 days during first 6 months of probation period". However, at the joining day you will be forced to sign a document which says : "E-stoppel on resignation - you can resign for the first 6 months after you join the company". And there is no mention of leaves and other facilities and benefits on the offer letter that they issue".

4. The policies in Hitachi consulting keep on changing every now and then and the newer policies makes it more unfriendly ork env. for the employees.

5. Hitachi talks big about competeting with Wipro, Infy, TCS, CTS.... but the fact it that 20 years down the line they cant be even 50% of what these companies are.

6. Hitachi Consulting simply follows a policy of HIRE and FIRE. They recruit like any thing and after 2 month of bench they fire them. Simultaneously they keep on the process of recruitment as well to spread the news that they are hiring.

7. The payroll process in Hitachi consulting is one of the complex ever and sub-standard process followed.

8. Incase you need a maternity leave or a long LOP leave, Hitachi Consulting will force you to resign after a month and in future if you wish to join them, they will hire you as a contractor.

9. There is so much insecurity among the employees of the company, still it is surprising to see so many positive feedback about Hitachi Consulting. Sometimes I doubt that some of these might be fake.

10. The HR wing is absolute useless. They are just pretty faces and good for nothing. Always praising and buttering the senior guys and do not care about the root level employees.

11. The Senior manager guys need a massive change in attitude. They are sooo arrogant and talk to employees rudely. Some of these managers (especially Cop Heads) need to upgrade their soft skill and need to learn manners.

Please stop hiring people when you dont have jobs in your company.
    DO NOT change the terms and conditions in the offer letter. Make sure that the offer letter issued at the time of offer is the same as the one they are asked to sign on the joining day.
    Why will an experienced person be forced into signing a bond on the joining day that one can't resign in the first 6 months of joining. He should be informed well in advanced and at the time of offer.

Hitachi Consulting Photos

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!