Hitachi Consulting

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

The employees at Hitachi are first-rate, but young employees have little choice in their roles and practice.

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Hitachi, I worked with some of the best people in my experience. Every member of my project team was ready to help with tasks, teach or train on applications, or work together to solve problems. There are numerous employee resource groups to help connect with people with similar interests or goals, such as charity fundraising, social planning, or minority groups. Additionally, Hitachi has great benefits and vacation policy.

Cons

Unfortunately, for me, the cons outweighed the pros at Hitachi. As a college hire, I was not given any choice on the type of work I was involved in. I was pulled into an area outside my interest and expertise, and it became apparent that I would not be able to exit this practice without leaving the company. I also landed in a project whose management fostered a very negative culture of work-life balance. Team members were often called unexpectedly to work long or late hours on both weekdays and weekends.

Quite a rich experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities are abundant, as it is serious about growing its portfolio across Asian market - hence, you get to work on various interesting projects.

Cons

Because its a Japanese company, you can still witness some of the rigidity of the Japanese traditional management. Yet I could say that its improving.

Office culture has to change to accommodate more productivity.

Awesome place to work!!

Former Employee - HR-Executive in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - HR-Executive in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay..Benefits and work hour flexibility.

Cons

I don't think it has any.

Keep the momentum going on for Hi Brand

Consulting with Matrix Management

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Busy schedule, Plenty of work, Diverse business culture

Cons

Low salaries, lack of product experience, old school management style

Regional practices are not really open to "national practice" model that has been invoked and dictated

Great place to work, if you are a developer or project manager either right out of college or ready to settle down.

Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Unlimited Vacation Time
    - Ownership of Projects
    - Variety of Projects
    - Travel

Cons

- Travel
    - They aren't sure what to do with specialists
    - A lot of cliques
    - As a specialist, you won't be able to display the work you've done after you leave.
    - Apple computers only given to upper management, forcing designers to use old PCs that can't handle the graphic needs of the Adobe Suite.

Understanding the mid to senior level employees capabilities and focuses is crucial to keeping those resources happy. Forcing those who have industry experience into project management roles, when that is neither their focus or strength will not accomplish this.

Additionally, understanding the role of specialists and what it takes to for them to do their work, both from a process and hardware standpoint is crucial. Currently, specialists are clumped in with everyone else, and expected to learn development or project management to succeed.

Not a great company to start your career, especially if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a open-door policy overall, you can reach upper levels of management very easily. The social scene is nice for younger employees.

Cons

If you are looking to start a consulting career where you gain exposure to multiple businesses, and learn and apply your skills on short-term projects, this is definitely not the company for you. At least not in the LA region, and especially not if you're technology-focused. You will be put in a long-term project where you will stay for upwards of 2 years, driving to some LA suburb, and working on boring projects using aging technology. Think you will have more flexibility at a smaller firm, and get a more personal experience? Wrong, do yourself a favor and accept that offer at the bigger firm. Don't make the mistake like me and waste these crucial early years of your career.

Give your lower level employees the mobility to move around projects. That is what they joined a consulting company for.

Best WorkCulture

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best work culture, various options for tax saving and career growth

Cons

compensation not as per standards, now they are realized and increasing now...

Great place to work if you love to travel but be careful what you ask for

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with: smart, energetic and driven. You will definitely be challenged.

Cons

There is a big disconnect between local office and national leadership. It really feels like each office is working as a separate unit at times vs the operating model of national first.

Review the disconnect between strategic direction and local implementation as there is a big gap where "things" seem to get lost.

Worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Tech Services in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Tech Services in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other members of the team were supportive, professional and hard-working but the management of that team was a disaster

Cons

Riven by politics, absurd management speak and leadership incompetence. Couldn't win projects in expert areas so part of their business model is to send people who don't have the skills required to client sites on basis they must pretend they do have the expertise

The senior management in the areas I worked in were incompetent and I believe most have left in the last 2 years

Intermediate Consultant

Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome progressive environment; fantastic management that looks out for staff. The company is becoming one of the largest in the U.S./Canada and has exciting growth potential.

Cons

Average pay. Lack of travel opportunities for some departments, but is to be expected with certain lines of busines.

Staff should be able to grow career skills with collaborative projects across offices.

Hitachi Consulting Photos