Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
417 reviews filtered by

1. Hitachi Review

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

Not many that I can think of.

Stay away- Company is only interested in money not your career.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It gives you a paycheck.

Cons

There are too many items to list here. But in short the executive leadership only cares about cost cutting measures. Employees work hard all year to go through the annual review process (GARM) this will ensure how their raise and bonus will look like , but focusing on the employee and his/her development is NOT a priority for leadership.

So if you aspire in working hard and being rewarded for your efforts - this company is not for you.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to compete with big companies like Deloitte and IBM. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you treat your employees poorly don't expect a ROI.

3. Good company to work with

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good company to work with, lots of training.

Cons

Travelling can get bit challenging

Advice to Management

could do better

5. Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Ability to travel - but can become extensive if on long term project
    Lot of training videos and live training offered

Cons

For younger consultants pay increases can be very competitive
    Some offices are smaller than others and do not have as many employees

Good Company to work for

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good Work life balance is a big pro

Cons

Internal ploitics can be an irritant

A cultural and political nightmare, with the possibility of getting good work experience.

Former Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Projects at Hitachi Consulting (HCC) are generally a good way to gain lots more experience than you would working at an 'industry' job. You will interact with lots more people (even high level people, like controllers, C-levels, directors, etc.) than you would in a day-to-day operation. This, along with tight project deadlines (remember, consulting is expensive - time is always of the essence) will make you learn how to work efficiently, be detail-oriented, and deliver good results. With a good project manager (which are unfortunately hard to find), you will be given coaching in how to handle yourself professionally, which is extremely valuable no matter where you end up. A company shutdown went into effect from Christmas to New Years, which was free PTO - that was nice. There are rumors this might be going away due to recent financial performance of the company. I was also taken to lots of team dinners on the project's dime, which was also nice.

Cons

The biggest problem Hitachi suffers from is inconsistency. Meaning: inconsistency in how projects are managed, inconsistency in how employee performance is evaluated (forced distribution), and inconsistency in how different types of workers are treated. I'll expand on each of these.

1) Inconsistent Project Management. Hitachi employs a very large amount of project managers, as they are core to the business. Their job is about keeping the project running smoothly, doing status updates, making sure deadlines are met, and shielding workers from out-of-scope project requests from the client. The problem is that HCC has no consistency in how projects get done. My personal experience showed me both sides of the coin: one project had me working with the best manager I've ever had - they handled status meetings, managed client expectations and assigned deliverables, guided us into meeting deadlines, and gave professional coaching at every turn. Then, I worked on another project with the worst manager I've ever had. He badmouthed his own workers, created fire drills for every single issue the client brought up (even though many of these could've been handled by managing expectations correctly), and didn't follow any sort of project plan. His workers were left to pick up the pieces. Unfortunately, you are more likely to work under a bad project manager than a good one, as stories like mine are common. If you do work with a good manager, keep them close and hope you can work with them often. This piece of advice is extremely important, because your social network will determine how you rank against your peers. Which leads me into:

2) Inconsistent Employee Performance Evaluation. I've waited a year since I left HCC to review the company as I wanted to gain experience at another consulting firm to compare and contrast how HCC does performance reviews. I remain very unimpressed with how Hitachi handles employee evaluations. The primary reason being politics. If you decide to work here, make sure your personality is very extroverted and that you can make friends easily, because your job depends on it. The reason this happens is due to the company's performance review process (called the GARM) which assembles your career advisor (your representative) and company leadership (managers and above) to review every person. It is structured like this: the employee writes project and annual reviews, which are then reviewed with your career advisor. Your career advisor then represents you in the GARM meeting (much like a lawyer represents a client) by defending a good rating because of your accomplishments over the past year. Then, a discussion period happens in which anyone can comment on your performance. Here are my issues with this process: A) Your project manager(s) may not be present when you are being evaluated - so, your career advisor (who already has their own job to do on top of representing you) must present your accomplishments and defend you. The people who know your work may not even be present when being officially evaluated. B) As anyone can chime in when a person is being evaluated, a single comment can be the difference between you getting a promotion or not for an entire year (no matter your work accomplishments or work ethic). This is why it's extremely important to play politics and make friends with leadership and people who will be in your GARM session. You want nothing but good things said about you, otherwise your peer that has made the right connections may walk away with that raise, not you. C) Forced ranking - after the GARM meeting is over, senior leadership will then receive a list from HR of how many people can be ranked in each category (1 for worst, 5 for best). This means that if most of your office got 3's (normal; good performance), leadership must knock others down to 2's or 1's. Remember my advice on making friends? This is where those negative comments can also hurt you, even after the meeting is over. It just takes one thought or comment to knock you down from being a good worker to being given a performance improvement plan from HR. In short: your actual job performance is only 50% of what matters in official evaluations. You can work endless overtime by making sure the client gets what they need, but if you managed to make someone upset with you during the course of the year for the smallest thing, it is the difference between being promoted or not. Play politics or perish.

3) Differences in how types of employees were treated. I often found that there is a social hierarchy in how types of employees were treated at the company. Management is looked upon as most favorable, while IT workers are generally looked at as a necessary ingredient to get a project done. This might be because of the political culture HCC has; IT employees are generally not as good at politics as the management employees. Indian employees were hit the worst - as many of them were relying on the job with HCC to get green cards they were treated extremely poorly, as if dangling that option in front of them and letting them know if they didn't sacrifice everything for the company that option would never happen. It was hard to watch. Women were also not treated as well as their male counterparts - there was a 10 to 1 ratio of upper management of men vs. women. Rumor has is that salaries were also lower women than men.

To sum it up - if you play politics well and can manage your project workload along with 'extracurricular' activities to increase your standing in management's eyes, you will probably do well here. If you care about being evaluated based on your work, I'd advice looking for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The current culture is toxic and does not reward hard work employees do on projects. Forced ranking will drive good employees away (especially those without the political skillset of others).

Could do better

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low expectations of employees. Wide range of projects and technologies. Decent opportunities to training.

Cons

Just not a compelling or interesting place to work. A lot of "old school" VPs who are not interested in creative ideas; only in making their numbers. Hitachi is still focused on ERP which is a dying service. There are very few projects which are interesting and even fewer people that know how to sell them.

Advice to Management

Implement a "no jerk" policy.

The employees at Hitachi are first-rate, but young employees have little choice in their roles and practice.

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At Hitachi, I worked with some of the best people in my experience. Every member of my project team was ready to help with tasks, teach or train on applications, or work together to solve problems. There are numerous employee resource groups to help connect with people with similar interests or goals, such as charity fundraising, social planning, or minority groups. Additionally, Hitachi has great benefits and vacation policy.

Cons

Unfortunately, for me, the cons outweighed the pros at Hitachi. As a college hire, I was not given any choice on the type of work I was involved in. I was pulled into an area outside my interest and expertise, and it became apparent that I would not be able to exit this practice without leaving the company. I also landed in a project whose management fostered a very negative culture of work-life balance. Team members were often called unexpectedly to work long or late hours on both weekdays and weekends.

Consulting with Matrix Management

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Busy schedule, Plenty of work, Diverse business culture

Cons

Low salaries, lack of product experience, old school management style

Advice to Management

Regional practices are not really open to "national practice" model that has been invoked and dictated

Avoid this company

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It pays the bills. Hitachi looks good on a resume, although the Hitachi Consulting has absolutely nothing to do with the parent company. Hitachi in name only.

Cons

Management is clueless. Unrealistic financial goals each year, that are used as an excuse to avoid salary increases, decent bonuses and/or promotions. Ridiculous metrics that are constantly changing and an Oracle system that contain incorrect data to track them. Promotions are given to the chosen few "yes men". Salaries are below other comparable firms. Sales team is lacking. Only training available is CBT. Made to take ridiculous courses, instead of practical technical ones.

Advice to Management

Try to put together a real strategy, instead of managing by spreadsheet. Processes are ridiculous. Make it easier to accomplish the end task, which is providing a quality product to our customer.

Hitachi Consulting Photos