Hitachi Consulting

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 41 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 14 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is very relaxed and the people are great. Great mentoring and learning opportunity.
    They give you important tasks early.

Cons

They focus on IT projects and less management consulting projects.

No real differentiation in the market

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

For young consultants trying to gain experience, Hitachi can be a good place to work. Not sure its a place to hang your hat for a career.

Cons

Seems to be a lack of commitment and understanding by executive management.

Be fair with employees.

hitachit

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great place for new graduates to learn the industry and gain experience

Cons

limited potential for personal career growth

acknowledge superiors

Director - Strategy

Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand association due to the Parent company.

Cons

Lack of a growth strategy, declining market share, acquisitions are a disaster since the acquired teams are completely neglected.

Its about time to realize and embrace globalization to stay competitive & expand operations.

Fantastic place to start a career, but not the right place for me to grow

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people when I started were excellent - I admired the leaders and my peers from my local office. I worked here directly out of undergrad and was given great opportunities to work in different industries and in different functional areas. Better work life balance than most consultancies

Cons

Experiences and expectations differ widely by which office you are in and what your background is. Pay increase is slow until you are eligible for performance compensation. Leadership at the company level (not the office-level) is disconnected.

Hiring definitely needs improvement - the consultants hired out of undergrad are the most talented people at the company, and I often felt like I was picking up slack for poor MBA and experienced hires (who were brought in at a higher salary level than I ever attained).

Adventures of a Road Warrior

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Every project is different, which means some projects are great and filled with awesome people. Hitachi is one of the few companies around that pays out per diem rather than actuals, which really makes being a road warrior worth it. There are plenty of travel opportunities, and you are able to take advantage of the points (airline, hotel, etc.) easily. In general, you can work from home on Friday, and managers tend to be understanding of time off for doctors appointments that you cannot take care of during the week.

Cons

First of all, every region is different. I have heard many different stories and experiences from all over the country, and it seems to depend on where you are at. This is my experience from my location.

-There is a huge push to try and force an office community. This means many clubs, after work events, corporate get-togethers. This is nice, and is a good way to get to know people, but it should be my choice to go, and my annual review should not reflect how active I am in these activities. Our annual review process seems more hinged on how many groups you are involved in, rather than the quality and effort of your work.

-When hired straight out of school (or with limited experience), you are placed in a core group. This is billed as a great opportunity to build your skills and try new areas. However, in practice, you will be placed wherever they can put you so that the company can make money. This means that once you have any sort of experience in one area, you will stay in that area til the end of time. In theory, you can work your way into the career direction that you would like, but in hard economic times like these, it's highly unlikely.

-The annual review process is very drawn out, and very secretive. Like most consulting firms, you are represented by an adviser who presents you in a meeting and fights to get you a fair ranking (from 1-5). You are compared amongst your peers in your level (which means you are compared against some people who are creating applications from scratch as well as people who create training documentation. While both are valid and necessary portions of the job, there are extreme differences in the level of effort and skill sets that are needed to complete each project). You do not get to represent yourself. Your performance evaluation hinges on someone who may have never worked with you, and may have only spoken with you for a few hours out of the year. Results are released about two months after ratings have been determined by the group. This delay is caused by the "Secret" review that is undergone by the executive levels. They will fight to keep all reviews within a bell curve, and will change ratings as necessary to keep that perfect curve. This results in some people unfairly being rated negatively to keep that curve. And again, in this review, your participation in the extra community building teams is HIGHLY taken into consideration.

-Some other reviews have nailed the big problem with our clients. We accept projects that no other firm would accept. These are projects with unrealistic expectations (work that they want completed within 6 weeks, that realistically is going to take 6 months). When all the other firms walk away, we step right in and, in most cases, fail because we are not set up to succeed.

People are leaving in droves. I have heard the excuse that "they are just not meant for consulting". If this is the case, why do people go to other consulting firms? Listen to your employees, and maybe these talented performers will start staying.

Very good!

Current Employee - Practice Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They have a very good base, engaging clients and exciting work. My time there has been great, a lot of very smart people.

Cons

Burdened by their own large company and too displaced to work as together as a one large company. Found difficult experiences in collaborating within the companies sector.

Employee Review

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Have a nice year end vacation package

Cons

Compensation compared to other consulting companies

Struggling to find a reason to stay

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The professionals in the trenches are quality individuals for the most part.
    Project work is challenging.
    Travel oppportunities are available.

Cons

Senior Management is out of touch with reality. Projects are bid without consideration of the work that needs to be done. Most contracts are negotiated to a price, not a deliverable.
    Leadership does not hesitate to throw their team under the bus in order to make themselves look better. It is an "old boys club" that does not value the hard work and sacrafice given by their employees.

Listen to the people doing the work. Your tactics of underbidding just to win the work are hurting you in the long run. If you want to be the discount service provider, then brand yourself as such and stop trying to compete with the real consulting firms.
    Your HR issues will not go away and will continue to grow if you allow VPs and Directors to run roughshod over the people who deliver your services. Try standing up for your employees once. You may be surprised at the results you get.

Entrepreneurial

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mid sixed major consultancy with ability to make your own business. Opportunity to learn all aspects of the business and make it your own. Regardless of your level, opportunity to grow & develop.

Cons

Big enough to compete with the big consultancies but not big enough to invest in the next new trends. Trying to be all things instead of focusing on a few.

Invest in the US and not just Japan