www.hitachiconsulting.com

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 40 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful and sometimes work/ life balance can be a challenge (in 13 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been at Hitachi Consulting and an acquired organization for more than 13 years and it's been a great experience

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

* Hitachi Consulting has encouraged development of new consulting practices which will help us grow and differentiate ourselves.
    * Majority of the employees are smart, hard working talented people that are very interested in helping clients solve real problems
    * Most employees are good at collaborating with each other in order to provide the most value for our clients

Cons

* Leadership team members (at times) seem like they are not all aligned. This can create competition among teams for staffing and credit etc. This is definitely getting better with the new org model of 2010 - I am seeing much more cooperation among teams now that the geo/market offices do not control account relationships and staffing.

Pressure from leadership to form more of a pyramid structure (less top heavy, more bottom heavy) is not always consistent with the level of expertise that some of our clients expect/desire/need. Leadership needs to be careful to not adopt the "Andersen model" of the 80's in the 2010 decade.

Pretty satisfied.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

-Great peers and managers to work with
    -Interesting work
    -Focus on community, etc.
    -Pay and benefits pretty good

Cons

-Recent changes to the organization
    -Some accounts require too much additional non-project work.

Add more women to your leadership team.

Has been a good opportunity for me

Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

One of the few companies in the last 20 years that has focused on my personal growth and development
    Opportunity to work with smart people
    Knowledge sharing between peers
    Support by local management

Cons

Onboarding processes is an opportunity for improvement

Hire more people

Lots of changes with growing pains - but for the better

Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Top notch people provide a stimulating professional environment and make it enjoyable. I have been able to work on a variety of projects that have built up my skills. I have seen a lot of increased focus on training and regimented skill development over the past year. Recently, HCC went from geography based teams to technology and management consulting teams that I see as a positive for my future career development. The changes were the result of a new Strategic plan to grow significantly over the next 5 years.

Cons

Dust needs to settle on all of the changes the past year, while I think they will be good in the long run, they have created much turmoil. Some people prefered the geography model. I personally enjoy travel and prefer to work on projects wherever the best opportunities are located. In a few years this may be a negative but for now it is not a problem for me.

No more org changes for a while - stick to the significant growth strategy.

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Intelligent and engaging people. Career Opportunties

Cons

Consistent and frequent feedback from supervisors on job performance is lacking

Simplify the operating model. Build more fun into the work (I know it's a tough economy, but we all need to have some fun along the way).

Great Culture - Excellent Clients

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Great peer group
    People I like working with
    Cares about community
    Competitive Compenstion
    Long Term view (not just quarterly)
    Family atmosphere
    Tier One clients
    Can be part of a growing company
    Parent company is generous

Cons

Don't have the scale yet to be great at everything

Continue leading by example by demonstrating an interest in the people that make Hitachi Consulting a great place to work

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

I like working at Hitachi Consulting because we have a great leadership team and I love the people I work with. Everyone I know in my company is super smart and enjoyable to work with... Also there are a lot of career advancement opportunities and training.

Cons

I feel like my salary is less than of my peers in other Consulting Companies.

Slary bands should be transperant and disclosed at the company's intranet.

Collaborative environment

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

The backbone of Hitachi Consulting is a strong collaborative environment;. The company also provides helpful mentors and career advisors who have significant consulting experience and tenure. As a small consulting practice, there is plenty of opportunity to contribute to internal development and create processes and programs that last for future generations. The opportunity to innovate and demonstrate your leadership skills is very strong - and very encouraged - in this environment.

Cons

Hitachi Consulting is still a small to mid-size company, so still has some process kinks to work out and the administrative load can sometimes be higher than at other large firms. Salary is sometimes lower, but the travel load is lighter and higher pay at other firms is sometimes really hazard pay for constant travel or working with competitive idiots.

Continue to be open and honest with employees. Don't sugarcoat.

In a tough year, Hitachi Consulting leadership continues to make good decisions and to focus on their people

Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Hitachi Consulting has a fresh and dynamic culture, largely due to leadership's attantion to individual growth. People are challenged to grow while akoing room for work/life balance.

Cons

Pressure and work hours during high profile projects

I think management is consistently focused on improvement. It will never be perfect (anywhere) but the Hitachi Consulting culture & career amnagement process is very good. Proces sis important but it's about people. and personal connections.

Building a career with great people...

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

I work with really smart people that I respect and am challenged by every day. Not only does the industry require continuous learning about new clients and solutions, I am learning how to be a leader and grow directly from the people I work with every day. I also feel valued and a part of my local office community.

Cons

Project depending, hours can be long and clients can be tough, but this is more a function of the industry than the the company specifically. Sometimes its tough to know what's going on across the company.

Sell good work. Everything else comes after that.

Hitachi Consulting Photos