Hitachi Consulting

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrific company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Concern for quality of life and work/life balance
    Challenging projects
    Good people to work with

Cons

Need to strike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals

Strike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals regarding pursuits and relationship management

I've hit a plateau

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The job is relatively stress free, management is good.

Cons

Too fragmented, no true sense of team unity.

Be consistent in how you handle personal issues with employees. When one employee has a personal crisis and the CIO is rallying everyone around the team and another employee has a crisis and the CIO doesn't so much as say a word, it demonstrates a problem with consistency.

Working at Hitachi

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides work from home option which is a great plus.

Cons

Company doesn't have much projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very political; support staff treated poorly compared to consultants

I worked at Hitachi Consulting for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice co-workers and team work

Cons

Highly political and support staff works hard but are not appreciated for their efforts a all

Pay more attention to support staff and treat everyone the same. Rules applied differently depending on what dept. you're in

Great teammates and interesting work almost made up for the terrible salary

Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with at Hitachi Consulting were, with only a few exceptions*, smart, motivated, reliable and fun, and a job like this is only bearable when you have great teammates, due to the heavy travel, long hours and sometime difficult clients and nightmare projects. Of course some projects go well, are exciting, and teach you a bunch of new things, and my experience was that even the trainwrecks were rarely the fault primarily of Hitachi--a terrible client will undermine even the best consultants' efforts to help them.**

Hitachi Consulting tries (sometimes a little too hard, but that's better than indifference) to foster a cohesive corporate culture and make people feel connected to others in the regional practice (about 150 people at the time I was there), which can be tough when people are staffed on long projects at far-flung client sites. I didn't entirely appreciate this aspect of the company until I worked at Deloitte Consulting where it's so easy to feel like a cog in an enormous and very hierarchical machine.

If I ran into a technical problem that wasn't easily resolved I could send a broadcast message to the member of the relevant competency and people were great about taking time to reply with useful information and helpful advice, even though they were often across the country and we might never have met in person. In the case of problems tricky enough to require a collaborative approach to solving, people regularly carved out time from their already busy days, staying late or missing lunch, to do a web-ex or whatever was needed to help out.

I also appreciated that there was a minimal amount of the three P's (Pettiness, Politics and Power-trips—hey, I just coined a phrase!) compared with some places I've worked. And although the annual review and career management processes were cumbersome and time-consuming, they were worth it because of the objectivity and transparency the detailed exercise lent to a process that can be woefully opaque, if not plainly arbitrary at some jobs.

Cons

*One of the exceptions I mentioned in the Pros section happened to be my designated Career Advisor. Bummer.

**I also mention in the Pros section the fact that Hitachi had its share of troubled projects, as well as my perception that the majority of blame usually belonged more to the chronically difficult clients where they those projects went on than to HCC. The problem was that Hitachi Consulting would never walk away from that type of client; they were just too desperate for the work. They were always in tough spot, trying to compete for the same big projects as the household-name big-four firms, and the same small projects (at least in my competency) as the specialized boutiques, with low overhead and rockstar consultants, and it was tough for them. The old cliché is that nobody ever lost their job for hiring IBM (I might be paraphrasing). So Hitachi had to undercut the bigger firms on rate to be in the running, and they had to take the dysfunctional clients that weren't worth the trouble they cause to the Accentures of the world.

The other problem with that, from an employee's perspective, is that to bid for the same work as Deloitte or Accenture, but with a enough discount to differentiate themselves, Hitachi had to keep salaries way down compared to those firms. It's a testament to their college-hire recruiting, their non-fiscal retention efforts, and the appeal of a no-travel local model (since abandoned) that they had such a high-caliber group of people willing to work for less than they could have gotten at a big firm. I imagine that for most of those people, the promise of not having to travel every week was a worthwhile trade-off for the smaller salary

But my experience was much less positive, and by any reasonable measure I was badly underpaid at Hitachi Consulting. When the Great Recession sent everyone's business into a tailspin in late '08 and early '09, I (along with a majority of HCC employees not RIF'ed outright) was offered a choice of furlough (no work, receive 30% of salary plus UI) or a decent severance. I took the latter and was promptly hired by Deloitte, where my first year compensation represented a NEARLY 50% INCREASE from what I made my last year at Hitachi—and this was at the absolute low-point of the most severe economic downturn in 70 years. So I think it's fair to say I was below market value. Yet they never would have adjusted me to a fair amount. I was promoted from Sr Consultant to Manager/Architect after a year and got less than an $8K pay raise, and was still in the five-figures, less than I'd been making in 2000 at an industry job with <10% travel.

I only accepted the original offer from Hitachi because the local model was supposed to mean being home every night and because I had a one-year-old daughter. So as mentioned, that seemed like a reasonable trade-off, given that most consulting jobs require constant travel (though there are notable exceptions, like Slalom where a lot of Hitachi people now work). Unfortunately the VP who hired me couldn't sell any work in the local market, so if I wanted to be utilized at all it turned out that I was flying all over the country, pretty much the entire time I worked there.

Fully half of my projects were in the Eastern time zone, which is a killer if you live in California because you have to fly out Sunday instead of Monday morning. Say goodbye to half your weekend every single week.That was a big enough drag later on when Deloitte made me do the same thing, but at least they were paying me for it; it really stunk to be doing the same work, with the same travel obligations, but at the paltry Hitachi Consulting "local model" salary I'd accepted in the belief that I'd see my wife and daughter every day in exchange.

Review

Current Employee - Manager, ITPS  in  Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, ITPS in Newark, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Carrier Growth and Knowledge growth

Cons

Lack of business growth and improvement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relatively new and expanding in many areas

Cons

Growth rate is slow compared to other companies

Excellent opportunities for growth and career development

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with from the Manager level and above are very committed to the success of the company and their clients. There is an atmosphere that is very conducive to working together. Because it is a rather small company, relative to the major firms, it is like a family often times with all the pros and cons that entails. People are very sensitive to work life balance and try to do the best with helping you achieve a good balance.

Cons

Some of the junior resources do not seem to be committed to building a career with the company, but are just trying it out to see how it goes. However, this may be a shift in the broader industry and not necessarily specific to Hitachi Consulting. The company has grown very fast in the last few years and the organizational structure is not yet optimal. Accountability for results needs to be stronger at the executive leadership levels.

Great place to work, good people

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, learning and development, culture

Cons

Big company that tends to reorganize often

Follow through on promises

Horrible work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big company
    Brand name
    Can't really think of much more than that

Cons

Disorganized
    Left hand does not know what right hand is doing

Follow through on commitments. Promises are made and never delivered.
    Care about employees

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!