Hitachi Data Systems

Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme

Jack Domme

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 27 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced(in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me(in 4 reviews)

Wrote software user guide for Hitachi Tuning Manager product, part of the Hitachi Storage Command suite of products.

Senior Technical Writer/XML Consultant (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsInteresting products, collegial atmosphere, intelligent colleagues

ConsThere are not really any cons that I can think of.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSmall, warm, friendly to work. Laid back but not too much. Great culture.

ConsThe building location is pretty industrial but once you get used to it it's fine. It's not partially glamorous but what's most important is who you work with!

A decade of growth and learning

ProsGreat support for work life balance from management! Very flexible and willing to bend a bit as employees go through and adjust to life's challenges and changes outside of work.

ConsMany roles are single threaded. This creates some pressure on colleagues to take less time off and work too many hours at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEC need to set more realistic targets so employees can actually get rewarded for the extra efforts they put in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former employee

IT Professional (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat hardware products. Great peers to work with in professional services. Good training on their products. Plenty of travel for those who enjoy traveling.

ConsPoor software products. Lack of career growth within company. They typically hire outside of the company to get what they think are perceived talent. Salary is below industry standards. Salary raises are non existent. High turn over rate with the professional services ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHDS products are third rate. No matter what they do will bring HDS to a first tier company.

Slow-paced

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFlexible hours, work from home

ConsVery slow at getting problems resolved, disorganized. Sometimes it looks like they don't care about success of the project.

Worst HR department ever, Finance so-so, other teams are really great.

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are great, Quality products. HDS cares about customers. The Hitachi mother ship is world class as well. Senior management is good.

ConsHR leaves a bad taste in the mouth. HR tries to do the management role with clerks, instead of letting the managers manage. Pay for performance in HDS does not mean that they will pay you for your level of performance, instead it is how the entire company performs - i.e. the turkeys get what the stars get.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurge HR below the SVP level and hire people people, not company process people. Pay for individual performance

A good place to work

Product Management (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood work life ballance
    Decent pay, bonuses sometimes paid even if we didn't make our financial goals
    They do a good job of taking care of their people

ConsHard to get training
    Very old workforce
    Sometimes challenging to work with the Japanese culture but it is getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your younger employees

Fantastic culture and great people to work with!

ProsA really positive and friendly culture where everyone has a voice and helps each other out. Flexible and family friendly with no micro-management. Although we still have to put in some long hours sometimes!

ConsSystems and processes could be improved.

Awesome culture - this is the place to be!

Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsA culture that leaves you empowered and passionate about working here. Trust and respect, low politics, empowerment and achieving great results in a collaborative manner.

ConsIt is a very entrepreneurial place. So, if you are resourceful, independant and love to build in a fast place environment, this is it! If you are not any of the above, then it might be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPreserve this unique culture - best blend of east and west.

Great place to work, lots of company perks.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat pay and ethical company. Company has been very stable and pride themself on making a happy workplace. Great benefits as well.

ConsAt times overly structured, sometimes difficult to grow within a department or a field but that depends on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees think more outside the box, allow for more advancement within teams.

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!