Hitachi Data Systems

Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme

Jack Domme

Pros:
  • "HDS tries to respect work life balance & do not schedule calls before 8:00AM or after 5:00PM"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Great people that are dedicated and company culture and values are strong and honest"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Middle management, specifically in sales organization doesn't embrace nor understand the essence of leadership"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Conservative for good and bad

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReally does respect work/life balance. Convivial atmosphere and a willingness to work with people to get the best out of them. Rarely more than a 50-hr week, and often from home for many positions.

ConsVacation policy is a joke. You aren't allowed to take vacation when it makes sense for you or your family. It must be saved for the holidays, and if you haven't saved enough you either go un-paid at Christmas or pull ahead on vacation so you're in a deeper hole next year. Subsequently, you work those 50-hr weeks every week of the year and never get a real break. Management preaches that the company is successful while refusing salary adjustments and performance raises for years. 100% bonuses haven't hit more than 1 quarter in 4 for the last several years. All while revenue is steadily increasing. Year on year growth targets are unrealistic for current economy, but it makes for great savings in their appropriately named "GIP" plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust the bonus system, growth targets, or the hold on raises - one of the three. And stop forcing vacation on the companies schedule, let people use their time off when it makes sense for them. Also, this "best companies to work for" stuff just shows how out of touch sr. management and HR are. We aren't a bunch of jerks, but that's because of US not because of your increasingly anti-employee policies.

Not worth it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRemote work options, onsite gym, cafe, some really nice people that are easy to work with

Cons-Company has not hit bonus targets in 2 years and they don't offer stock. What your left with is just your base salary and for a tech company in Silicon Valley it's really not competitive.
-Aging workforce and they are just now starting to get some young blood in with the new internship program, but generally they hire experienced professionals with industry experience. If you are young, it's hard to fit in and move up in rank.
-Lots of people work here long term because the performance bar is set so low for a lot of people and they aren't good enough to find a job at other more successful companies.
-Company products lack innovation and are just copycat products of successful ideas other companies thought of first.
-Lots of politics and in-fighting within all groups. HR is one of the worst divisions you could possibly work in.

Great company that truly reflects it's core value

Individual Contributor (Current Employee)
Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHaving worked with HDS colleagues from over 40 countries, I find employees generally have a very high degree of honesty, integrity and a desire to help fellow colleagues. Good work/life balance and good benefits. Good transparency by executives. I have recommended HDS to close friends. This is a great company. I thought I would be here just a few years, but I really enjoy working for HDS.

ConsPay is ok, but could always be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain focus on core values, family/life balance as we continue grow.

Great place to jumpstart your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems

ProsReasonable pay, great co-workers, flexible work environment

Cons24/7 tech talk all day every day

There is more about Hitachi that meets the eye.....

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHitachi Data Systems is a medium size company with the backing of a $119B Global Powerhouse. You can find the "startup" mentality with the support of a multibillion dollar corporation. You have the ability to greatly influence positives outcomes as well as to learn other areas outside of your core competencies. Last, the Japanese influence of respect and teamwork is something very unique at HDS (as well as other Hitachi companies). Such culture is something that it's becoming very rare in other companies

ConsSlow approach to go to market in certain areas. Hitachi is known for quality of technology and service rather than on leading on feature/functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the vision set a few years ago. Also, evaluate new business markets for potential investment opportunities.

HDS 6 Years

Master Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHDS tries to respect work life balance & do not schedule calls before 8:00AM or after 5:00PM

ConsImmature internal processes. budget cutbacks and missed bonus's inspite of achieving record revenue goals is worrisome. HDS has cancelled their annual kickoff two years in a row. and delisted HIT from nasdaq. saving yourself into poverty is a dangerous sign as there is $0.00 spent on marketing. HDS also has failed to keep up with software development & feature functionality demanded by the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current management is struggling to meet the newer complexity of customer demands, The mom & pop family culture is great but unable to scale to meet the increasing market share goals. lack of process is leading to excessive concessions and increased customer satisfaction issues.

Employes are fairly nice to work with... Upper management is another story.

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGym onsite, new cafe ( but mediocre food), health club reimbursement, friendly coworkers.

ConsWith the changes in management the past 6 years and setup of new processes the company has become somewhat inefficient...ironic. Many new employees lose motivation after seeing people complacent and just getting by. Upper Management preaches for lowering expenses in the townhall meetings, however they are exempt from this as they spend up to 10k one flight and get large sums of bonuses even when the company is not doing well. This had brought morale down significantly.
Compensation for normal employees is below market. You are better off at a public company with stock options.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the good employees and provide career development and more promotions. If you are asking to lower expenses, please don't turn around the next day and travel 1st class expensing 5-10k on one flight. If you really want people to admire, trust and respect you... Take coach!!! And pool together your bonuses to reward good employees. You need to be humble like warren buffet and stop the corporate greed.

Software Sales

Channel Engagement Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, including 401(k) matching funds and Health Savings Account. Hires older, experienced workers with no prejudice.

ConsOld-style hardware manufacturing company processes. A small change to the price list, such as changing the descriptive name of a product, can take as long as 3 months for all approvals and to get through the IT department.

Good Company

Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHitachi is very family originated, they really care about the people.

ConsTo much outsourcing of departments overseas.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to include the little people with communication.

Great position to learn and hone financial analytical skills

Finance Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros- Friendly atmosphere
- Diverse cultural mix
- Competitive pay
- Good work/life balance
- Very teamwork oriented
- High potential for bonuses and rewards for your efforts (you get out what you put in)

Overall, this is one of your ideal employers if you are in the high tech industry that Silicon Valley is known for.

ConsThe parent company of HDS is Japanese, so naturally there are many Japanese expatriates you have to work with. They tend to congregate with their own kind and the language barrier doesn't help. However, this is a very minor con

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Hitachi Data Systems Videos

Hitachi Data Systems – Why Work for Us?

Hitachi Spirit Hitachi Spirit is what distinguishes us as the employer and partner of choice. It’s more than our foundation, more than a poster on the wall. It’s how we operate every day, how we get things done. It’s… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hitachi Data Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme. All 187 reviews posted anonymously by Hitachi Data Systems employees.