Hitachi Data Systems

Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme

Jack Domme

Pros:
  • "HDS tries to respect work life balance & do not schedule calls before 8:00AM or after 5:00PM"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Great people that are dedicated and company culture and values are strong and honest"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Middle management, specifically in sales organization doesn't embrace nor understand the essence of leadership"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very confused company

Consulting Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTries to provide honest and good products.
It had been a good place to work like a family.

ConsHad lost their touch on how to provide good products due to too many internal politics and arguments with no leadership. Sadly, management encourages politics. Also too many reorg and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be strategy and leadership. Should focus on strategy and execute.

Not what it used to be.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFinancially strong.
Actual commitment to work-life balance.
Nice facility.

ConsHave gone from valuing people who get things done to valuing people who "set expectations".
They set grand corporate goals, but don't like it if you point out decisions inconsistent with those policies..
Don't be a truth teller. It isn't appreciated.
While they are listed in the 100 best places to work, it is based on previous management..

Advice to Senior ManagementRead up on Japanese management style.

The Best Place to Work and Thrive

IT Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsA great environment to learn and grow professionally, while contributing at the top of your game. This is a place that respects ability and potential - so if you are a consumate professional, this is heaven. If you love being tuned in to your industry's latest trends and would love to configure them to work for your company - this is a quality that HDS can't get enough of and rewards this "pioneering spirit" accordingly. The corporate amenities provides ample opportunity to keep your life balanced, with a state-of-the-art gym (free!), great food (HiCafe), and hard-working colleagues. It's a lethal combination that has pushed HDS into a great financial position that is shared with employees.

ConsIf you need someone to tell you what to do - it would be a challenge to work here. The old manager and subordinate model has pretty much retired here and the current enviroment is towards a more collegiate, team-based perspective. There are pockets of dinosaur bones, but those ramparts are being quickly eroded as technology explodes worldwide and HDS employees ramp up to meet the challenges. HDS won't work for anyone who just wants a job and a paycheck. This kind of employee wil always be eating the dust of the colleagues who love the field or the industry, and are determined to make HDS the "number one" customer choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent! Over-communicate! Hire employees who are actively invested in their industries, and come to interviews with ideas and vision. Take the time to be clear about expectations and have meaningful measurements. Set the bar high, but provide the support needed to exceed.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWe have a great company culture and everyone truly lives by it! It really is a great place to work!
This is from Jack Domme, CEO down which truly ensures everyone knows this is not just talk or something that is one the web. It is truly real! Everyone has a common goal and we all work together to be successful as an organization! I have been here for over 5 years so I am past the honeymoon phase and still in love!

ConsOur marketing could be better if you evaluate it againast our competition. It is the only con I have really seen from an employee perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter marketing would be my only advice for improvement. Please keep up the good work!! This is truly hands down the best place I have ever worked!

Smart people, interesting work, opportunities abound

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsTalented engineers
Innovative product
Management encourages career growth
Plenty of leadership opportunities on feature teams
Exposure to many different parts of the system, have learned a lot.

ConsMarketing is not very strong

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter marketing

Definitely one of the top 10 places to work in the Bay Area

Creative (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCaring, friendly, fun, constantly advancing the company in any way possible.

ConsCubicle life, not as much interaction with co-workers as preferred, quiet environment (i don't personally enjoy it, but it could be a good thing to others)

I wish I had started at HDS earlier in my career.

QA Architect (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsThe growth opportunities and the excitement of the product road map looks to a great future and cool stuff to build, test and delivery.

ConsThe largest con is the lack of stock options or stock purchase program. HDS is wholly owned by Hitachi and has no publicly traded stock.

HDS is a sweatshop.

Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

ProsYou get to work 15 hours a day just like they do in Japan. You get to hone your political skills. Hitachi looks great on resume.

ConsYou are expected to work overtime without pay. This is true for contractors as well as salaried employees. 15 hours for 8 hour pay is not uncommon. This is especially true for foreign contractors with H1 visas, of which there is, conspicuously, an overwhelming majority.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is well known that between the three attributes of quantity, quality and speed, you can only get two. Currently, quantity and speed are being effectively emphasised. Attempting to increase productivity by deliberately hiring contractors who would find it difficult to switch jobs and making them work longer hours will not change the equation. Not even if they don't get paid overtime.

Great family feel with a little too much work to do

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems

ProsHDS really does have great people. The team I work on is very close knit and we consider each other personal friends. No hidden agendas or cliques, which is rare. Flexibility to work from home for early calls or focussed project time is great. I feel appreciated and rewarded accordingly.

ConsThere is a lot of work and not enough people. That's pretty consistent across the organization. For those who are willing to make their own careers, this a great place. Don't expect a clear career path to be designed for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic with what more you can accomplish without increasing staff. At some point doing more with less is counter productive if your workforce wears out.

Great placer to work for

San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems

Prosgreat salary/package - great team

Consnone - more days off

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job... keep going in this direction

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Hitachi Data Systems Videos

Hitachi Data Systems – Why Work for Us?

Hitachi Spirit Hitachi Spirit is what distinguishes us as the employer and partner of choice. It’s more than our foundation, more than a poster on the wall. It’s how we operate every day, how we get things done. It’s… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hitachi Data Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme. All 187 reviews posted anonymously by Hitachi Data Systems employees.