Hitachi Data Systems

Updated November 26, 2014
4.2

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 36 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences (in 6 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good People

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

Great company culture and people really care about each other.

Cons

Exec management doesn't like controversial decisions and prefers to ignore issues than deal with internal issues directly.

Great company. Cares for its employees. Cares about its customers. Tough to get past the product centric deal of the day sales culture when looking at more complex solutions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good long term prospects. Strategy aligns to the direction of the market and growth. Cares about employees. Cares about customers. Customer sat comes first. Solid products. Would rather be late to market than put clients at risk.

Cons

Slow decision making. Heavy political transaction / salsa culture can inhibit career growth and decision making.

Be careful not to allow short term transaction culture stifle creativity and strategic growth

Recently hired by HDS.

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits and compensation packages are very competitive. The culture is open and new employees are encouraged to ask questions. The hiring and interview process was straight forward and the on-boarding process was well laid out. My experience is that the people are nice and the company is focused on making you feel a part of the team from day one.

Cons

I am still in the initial stages of my employment, so I haven't run into any real "cons". The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences. But in today's business environments, time zone differences aren't all that unique or much of a surprise.

Product Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close work group, inspiring leader, solid product range and good pay. Employees have a sense of belonging working here. Employee benefits are comprehensive.

Cons

Sometime slow in reacting to market forces ... HDS should consider hiring from management schools to ensure continuous stream of talents.

Keep up the great job of coming out with reliable and high-performance solutions and keeping employees happy.

it was alright

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture and work ethic

Cons

slow business environment; all done by japanese staff

Lots of perks and big work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are really nice. you get your usual benes, but other things like 500 dollars a year to use on anything fitness related, 500 dollars a year to spend on whatever you please (no joke, just give the receipt and get reimbursed), paid volunteer time off, if you want to use your own mobile phone as a work number they will reimburse your monthly service cost.

Working from home seems to be really popular. I do it often. Most people I work with are in random locations so it makes sense to just work remotely.

The cafe is pretty nice, really inexpensive for what you get.

the culture and values are through the roof here too!

Cons

from my experience it is a very email and phone call heavy environment. People joke about how a lot of time is spent just talking about what to spend time on.

So far I'm okay with everything

Great management, and flexible scheduling

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom I had to schedule my work, I had complete freedom to work from home, or my own office. My manager was very understanding, and I felt respected and part of a team. She encouraged me to pursue challenges, and offered to help out with anything. Even though I was an intern, all the people on my team were always receptive and open to my ideas, and always took the time to explain how certain facets of the company worked. I felt like I got beyond useful real-life work experience in my time at HDS

Cons

Can get dull at times. There are random moments of crunch time here and there, and sometimes there was overlap of duties, and some mis-communication.

Recruiting and Hiring process

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The recruiting process was really a fun experience. All my interviews were very challenging and pushed my knowledge limits. I felt that they knew where they wanted to go with this role and what the expectations where. The recruiter kept me up to date on the status of recruitment and hiring. Once I was given an offer they were extremely flexible with my employer and gave me the freedom to select my start date and do the correct transition. Once on-board not only was my direct team very helpful but everyone I met extended a hand and really took time to learn of my previous experience and hear my ideas on things. So far it has been an awesome experience and I am looking forward to being with HDS for many years!!!

Cons

No real cons on the workplace. The only thing that was new was the health package. I moved from an standard PPO to a HSA style and it was a learning experience since I have never dealt with a HSA insurance benefit.

Great executive team, too much politics in the middle

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, work life balance, great company overall

Cons

Too much politics, not enough opportunity

Good

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern

Pros

culture and value is amazing

Cons

does not pay much.

Hitachi Data Systems Photos