Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Reset
4.0
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 36 reviews)

• Good working environment & office culture, good standard perks & benefit for MNC, quarterly bonus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences (in 6 reviews)

• Not many negatives working at HDS for me , there have a lot of training here (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company, excellent perks!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

HQ office located in beautiful northern CA, excellent workplace culture, superb benefits,

Cons

Travel can be extensive, difference in time zones globally can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Performance reviews should be directly tied to compensation packages.

2. Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a good company within the storage area. There are a lot of opportunities to learn different skillsets in the SAN storage niche.

Cons

There is room for Hitachi to grow when it comes to consistency when dealing with its employees. The salary ranges are all skewed. Few opportunities to get raises. The leadership lacks in motivating its workforce.

Advice to Management

Connect with your employees, not just from a business voice. Be connected with your employees through more balanced recognition. If we are doing so great in revenue, share it with the employees. We deserve it.

3. Great Culture with opportunities for professional development

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cares about it's colleagues, customers and partners. Takes solution value and quality very seriously.

Cons

Slow to make decisions, sometimes too many stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Try to allow more opportunities for colleagues to move up and grow.

5. Great place

Current Employee - Services Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Services Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

excelent personal and professional life balance

Cons

nothing to say. Great place

6. Really, a Great Place to Win

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Truly solid business plan - employees are confident that HDS is leveraging its core competencies while looking far into the future to build a strategic road map that is meaningful and profitable

Cons

Company resources favor sales and sales support, more balance could help improve corporate support functions and product development

Advice to Management

Stay the course - it is good to know what our G2M plans will be at a high level for the next several years.

HDS is Totally Awesome

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

I have worked at close to a dozen tech companies in the past 25 years, and among them HDS provides the best culture, employee recognition, compensation and benefits. Much more like Silicon Valley than Japan, but with the full backing of the enormous Hitachi Group. Growing the business while traditional competitors are struggling. Aggressive but achievable goals.

Cons

As the business diversifies into new growth areas, it is becoming difficulty to maintain organizational focus on specific products and solutions. This is especially difficult on the sales leadership as they try to maintain the core business while growing the new market opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in growth areas, but back that up by increased investment in sales education and marketing to generate greater customer awareness.

8. Technical Consultant

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, the teamwork and people is what makes this company so great. Above average pay, above average benefits, and a wide open training regimens make this a place to call "home". I was previously on the customer side of HDS, and working with them several times over the years showed me they have good products but even better people. I actually look forward to each workday. The team spirit is in full effect. We all collaborate together to build solutions for our customers. I will be here for a long time at the rate things are going here. Keith O'Toole, Carl Isenburg, Thorsten Simmons, Mark Miller, Geoff Davidson, Kevin Le, Tim Kelly, James D, all make it a pleasure to work with them. Keep up the good work guys!

Cons

None noted. You have to be a self starter with time management skills, and an understanding of project plans. Sometimes customers will become upset, and we pull together to work thru it as a team. It does get a bit chaotic but that gives us room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and crank out those training labs!

9. Master Solutions Consultant

Former Employee - Master Solutions Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Master Solutions Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. Freedom to learn and do as much as you are capable.

Cons

Seems to have power struggles. Still makes decisions from the top down without getting input from the trenches.

IT company

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

Plenty of perks from benefits to discounts.

Cons

Anywhere from one to two times a year there are major layoffs. Lacks work/life balance and communication.

Love working here, HDS benefits indirect

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and everyone is eager to make great products. We have really been working hard at ramping up our engineering org to a whole new level. All of our teams work really hard to always be using the latest software, development tools, and best practices. Everybody is very helpful and willing to consider multiple approaches. This one two punch creates an excellent learning environment for picking up a multitude of skills. We have regular outings to relax and mingle. We also have events like hackathons to let people work in alternate projects or with different people or to just take a small break from the main job. There are also neat perks like being treated to a "night on the town" for when you really impress someone. Internal to the Engineering group we work very hard to maintain a flat management style and startup culture. To a reasonable degree, engineers can seek what is most interesting to them and move between projects and products. Taking a year to work in alternate office locations to share work culture and practices between teams is also always an option, which can be refreshing.

Cons

The pay in engineering is a tad on the low side compared to the industry averages. The bonuses more recently have essentially become a static value where individual performance is no longer calculated. The healthcare benefits have become more expensive and less enticing in the time I have been here. There is a large disparity in quality of life between each of the main engineering offices in terms of how far they are willing to go to make your work life comfortable. You have to game the system and move between roles and offices to force raises to happen. At the office level, engineering is treated amazingly. At the organizational level, where things like pay and benefits come from, sometimes it still feels like we are still just a sales organization with engineering being treated as an afterthought.

Advice to Management

There is a clear disconnect between "What it was built to do/cost" and "What some people are selling it to do/market price". This feeds back negatively into engineering. We don't seem to try very hard to make enticing employment offers. We spend an insane amount of time and resources skimming recruiting agencies, which has generally poor results. Often, when we do find someone we want to hire, we send them a lowball contracting offer where they are paid hourly and wont even get vacation time or sick leave. I understand this makes it easier to eliminate them if they don't work out, but that is what probationary periods are for.

RSS Feed </> Embed