Hitachi Data Systems

Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme

Jack Domme

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys (in 27 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced (in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loving the culture here! Glad I made the move...

Human Resources (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI think the best thing about working here so far is that what I saw in the interview process is exactly what I got now that I am working here. While I am still only in my first year here, everyone that I met during the interview stage really is as nice to work with as they were in the interview process. (This was unfortunately not so true of my last job...) So glad I made the move here. I'm looking forward to this truly being a great long-term career move for me...

ConsI haven't found any yet. I am sure there will be some hiccups, as there is no such thing as a "perfect" company (as all companies are made up of imperfect people!), but so far, everything has been great!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and continue focusing on corporate culture. People love to work at companies where they ENJOY working with the folks they work with! :o)

Good company but highly political....

Marketing Communications (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood pay, nice physical environment.

ConsVery quiet boring atmosphere. Endless meetings. Hardly any spontaneous conversations. No laughter...

Steady eddy

Prosgreat culture, very people oriented and solid block and object HW/SW, very approachable mgt

ConsHW bus model difficult to shed and a tendency to pay too much attention to the mothership in JP

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An engineering culture with strong focus on quality of products being built.

ProsFocus on technology and building innovative products

Conswork life balance and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

Hitachi Data Systems

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsExcellent product, vision, and ability to execute at the engineering level. All teams are super competent. Many people work 1 or 2 days remotely to save on commute hassles. Management/IT has made this part of the culture.

ConsLots of work, which is also good thing- not many are working 8 hour days, but they are flexible in letting employees shift hours a bit as needed. There seems to be a different system and password for almost every task. I guess its part of scaling to a Billion $ company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to give. From what i see so far, they are executing well...

Overall good company!

ProsCompany offers good benefits and flexible work options. Management cares about employee and is proud of the company culture and value. Great support from Senior management which is very critical in work!

ConsCorporations among teams could be improved!

Great Teams but Static Environment

Sales Support (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLove the teams, it really is a tightly knit family like unit that you work with day to day. The culture is pretty forgiving and fairly low pressure. However even if you perform exceptionally you can expect to spend ten years in a role before advancing even one rung up the ladder.

ConsAs an ambitous young professional spending the next decade doing the same exact thing every day for the next ten years without any prospect for advanement or role variety was enough for me to head for the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring externally, there are plenty of talented people within HDS to be promoted and developed.

Company atmosphere is very rewarding - Japanese culture with respect

IT Professional (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe product line that the company produces is well respected within the industry, and they are continually providing updates to all employees so you can learn about the products even though your actual job does not produce it

ConsSome departments are more successful than others

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on moving forward with your wonderful strategies

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

They "walk the walk" on employee quality of life and career opportunities

Senior Level Ops (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsI recently chose to join HDS after working as a contractor for a year. At the time I had to choose between Hitachi and several competitors. Money was about the same all around. HDS stood out above the crowd in their benefits and employee offerings that cover family as well. I went with my gut and am glad I did. Now that I'm full time the experience gets better each day. This is a company that doesn't just "talk" about their long term interest in you as an individual... they "walk the walk". Highly recommend!

ConsI have not had any issues to date. I work remote and the services and support are as if I were in the main office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing please... don't fix what isn't broken!

People who join HDS, look forward to staying at HDS and building their careers. Period.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe one thing that struck me most is that people look at HDS for long term careers. And I have found out why - it is all about a culture of interpersonal respect and empowerment. Basically, I have the liberty to carry a viewpoint, be respected for it and can look forward to work collaboratively and grow. This is a company that promotes from within.

ConsNothing, really. I have heard people saying that bringing in change is difficult but that is just not true. If you have a good idea, people around will help promote it pretty fast and you can even take help from other units seamlessly. It does happen and I can testify.

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!