Hitachi Data Systems

Updated December 17, 2014
4.1

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 36 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences (in 6 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities and culture.

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

Limitless opportunities for career growth. Great culture that is cohesive, collaborative, and responsive to one another.

Cons

Limited resources which often stretches bandwidth of the team.

Recognition program exists and is a great reward for an employee who works until the 23rd hour, going above and beyond for the team to succeed. I recommend using this program because it is not a bribe for employees, but is a personal "thank you card' letting your employees know how much you recognize the efforts.

Good People

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

Great company culture and people really care about each other.

Cons

Exec management doesn't like controversial decisions and prefers to ignore issues than deal with internal issues directly.

Busy bureaucratic place

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few good folks who know their functions and responsibilities. Decent pay package, and perks.

Cons

Lack of good, honest mentors.

Be more focused on innovation. Deliver efficiencies and results, and limit politics and bureaucracy.

Services

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

People are great. Some just outstanding and brightest I've ever met.

Cons

Decision making process around corporate strategy and tactics

Great work-life balance; politics stifle progression

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

If you're looking for a work-life balance, HDS is a great place to work. They truly do value time off for family, hobbies, etc. Co-workers are not competitive with one another and are actively helpful. Santa Clara corporate office has a Cafe and gym.

Cons

With a less than competitive workplace, you also get the "slacker" co-workers who are happy with the status quo. If you're looking to make a big splash and effect change, this may not be the place for you. Politics with the Japan-based parent company stifle almost all process and efficiency initiatives. Bonus program does not make up for lack of stock options. Need to revisit base and/or variable pay to make up for this.

HDS has great work-life balance but the environment is little passive and slow growth

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is very polite and respectful. Good work-life balance. Decent benefits including medical, 401k match and bonus package. Great products and solutions. Great values. Current and potential customers are the priority.

Cons

Pay not great, below other similar companies in the area. Personal growth is slow and personal growth planning is non-existent. Great products/solutions but storage industry is slowing down, need more innovation and new talent.

In the beginning of my HDS career, it was awesome.

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses were good when we had them. Great products. There were many hardworking and dedicated people who were a pleasure to work with

Cons

Found leadership not trustworthy - especially in HR where I heard leaders expound on absolute lies.

Yes, HDS is consistently on the most ethical companies list. However, they seem more to adhere to "the letter" of the law and not the "spirit." Leaders are ethical in the strictest sense, but they are also pompous and closed minded when it comes to culture and team issues. Watch the HR organization. They largely don't know what they are doing.

Hitachi Data Systems Response

Dec 19, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review.
    We appreciate the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and our CHRO is interested in discussing your concerns.
    We encourage you to reach out to our HR
    ... More

Recently hired by HDS.

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits and compensation packages are very competitive. The culture is open and new employees are encouraged to ask questions. The hiring and interview process was straight forward and the on-boarding process was well laid out. My experience is that the people are nice and the company is focused on making you feel a part of the team from day one.

Cons

I am still in the initial stages of my employment, so I haven't run into any real "cons". The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences. But in today's business environments, time zone differences aren't all that unique or much of a surprise.

Great company. Cares for its employees. Cares about its customers. Tough to get past the product centric deal of the day sales culture when looking at more complex solutions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good long term prospects. Strategy aligns to the direction of the market and growth. Cares about employees. Cares about customers. Customer sat comes first. Solid products. Would rather be late to market than put clients at risk.

Cons

Slow decision making. Heavy political transaction / salsa culture can inhibit career growth and decision making.

Be careful not to allow short term transaction culture stifle creativity and strategic growth

it was alright

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture and work ethic

Cons

slow business environment; all done by japanese staff

Hitachi Data Systems Photos