Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
4.2

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 33 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced (in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

it was alright

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture and work ethic

Cons

slow business environment; all done by japanese staff

Lots of perks and big work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are really nice. you get your usual benes, but other things like 500 dollars a year to use on anything fitness related, 500 dollars a year to spend on whatever you please (no joke, just give the receipt and get reimbursed), paid volunteer time off, if you want to use your own mobile phone as a work number they will reimburse your monthly service cost.

Working from home seems to be really popular. I do it often. Most people I work with are in random locations so it makes sense to just work remotely.

The cafe is pretty nice, really inexpensive for what you get.

the culture and values are through the roof here too!

Cons

from my experience it is a very email and phone call heavy environment. People joke about how a lot of time is spent just talking about what to spend time on.

So far I'm okay with everything

Great management, and flexible scheduling

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom I had to schedule my work, I had complete freedom to work from home, or my own office. My manager was very understanding, and I felt respected and part of a team. She encouraged me to pursue challenges, and offered to help out with anything. Even though I was an intern, all the people on my team were always receptive and open to my ideas, and always took the time to explain how certain facets of the company worked. I felt like I got beyond useful real-life work experience in my time at HDS

Cons

Can get dull at times. There are random moments of crunch time here and there, and sometimes there was overlap of duties, and some mis-communication.

Recruiting and Hiring process

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The recruiting process was really a fun experience. All my interviews were very challenging and pushed my knowledge limits. I felt that they knew where they wanted to go with this role and what the expectations where. The recruiter kept me up to date on the status of recruitment and hiring. Once I was given an offer they were extremely flexible with my employer and gave me the freedom to select my start date and do the correct transition. Once on-board not only was my direct team very helpful but everyone I met extended a hand and really took time to learn of my previous experience and hear my ideas on things. So far it has been an awesome experience and I am looking forward to being with HDS for many years!!!

Cons

No real cons on the workplace. The only thing that was new was the health package. I moved from an standard PPO to a HSA style and it was a learning experience since I have never dealt with a HSA insurance benefit.

Great executive team, too much politics in the middle

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, work life balance, great company overall

Cons

Too much politics, not enough opportunity

Good

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern

Pros

culture and value is amazing

Cons

does not pay much.

Ambitious, overachievers need not apply

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

Good executive leadership.
    Good culture.
    Interesting strategic direction.
    Few petty politics.

Cons

Pay is not commensurate compared to other, more highly regarded hi-tech companies.
    Insurance benefits pretty costly.
    "Talent" not sophisticated; Sold B performers.
    True understanding of industry, competition, future, limited. a bit internally focused.

Excellent Company to work for

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, strives to treat employees well. Constantly addressing work/life balance issues and is looking out for the employee. Offers a good benefits package. Encourages education and pays for any relevant training that you may desire.

Cons

Often hires new employees as contract employees, which then must work their way toward "full-time" employment status within the company. Although contract employees often have no issues and an good experience with the third party.

7 years and counting

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good exposure to european market although you're based in Asia. Nice colleague and open/approachable management... From there, it will help you improve your adaptation, determination quality and understand the cultural differences... And if business is good, you will be travelled either for training or business purposes... and go for the team building...

Cons

Quantum of salary increment is not competiitve for existing good talent retention...

The Pros and Cons are quite balance and commensurate with work responsibility... However, the quantum of salary increment can be improved to retain existing good talent...

A growing company that feels as much like a family as it does a workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work in the HR group and I've been a little shocked honestly at how friendly and welcoming everyone is. I've also been impressed with the candor and enthusiasm of leadership.

Cons

Despite being a small-to-medium sized company (~6k employees), HDS has corporate operations in multiple cities which means you're often on the phone. Usually it's not an issue but sometimes it makes it harder to communicate clearly and efficiently with your colleagues. That said, our global footprint allows us business opportunities that are certainly worth the extra effort.

Keep up the great work and continue driving innovation in the cloud and in our culture!

Hitachi Data Systems Photos