Hitachi Data Systems

Updated August 16, 2014

4.1

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys (in 27 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced (in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

BEST CAREER DECISION!

Current Employee - Bid Strategy and Development - Americas  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Bid Strategy and Development - Americas in Itasca, IL

Pros

I have an amazing opportunity at HDS to influence change and provide value. I feel that my experience and skillsets are appreciated here and my management is supportive, dedicated, and committed to successful achievement of the goals we've outlined. The people are wonderful to work with and the Hitachi Spirit is clearly evident. To be such a large and influential company, I've been pleasantly surprised at the "small company" atmosphere and friendly work environment. I'm so thrilled to be a part of this team and highly recommend this employer to any dedicated professional looking for a long-term career home.

Cons

None to note at this stage.

None to note at this stage.

Great People, Great Company, Awesome Solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The people and culture at HDS is phenomenal. Having been in the industry for a couple of decades, I have been a part of many teams and I can honestly say that the HDS people are what makes a difference. Many companies talk about ethics and culture, none really come close to HDS in walking the walk!

Cons

None. We are in a challenging industry with challenging competition...

I love my management team and my direct manager is great!

Management direction unclear, but self-starters do well

Former Employee - Product Management
    Former Employee - Product Management

Pros

Good pay and benefits...nice people (for the most part).

Cons

It is almost impossible to understand the direction that upper management has for the company...lots of words that lower level managers can't put into actions. Individuals must take it upon themselves to continually stay abreast of what is happening outside of HDS and even if they do, there is very little they can to do move the Titanic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

HDS gave me the opportunity to advance in my career and are providing multiple resources to see me succeed.

Cons

Every company has it's negative aspects.

i loved the experience there.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

People make it fun to work.

Cons

They don't respond in a timely manner.

Great place to work! I feel so motivated to go to work and give my best. I am always learning!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There is a great work life balance at HDS. My colleagues and management care about my success both personally and professionally. I feel very fortunate to work for a company that is always striving to grow and be better.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment which requires that you learn quickly. For me this is not necessarily a con but some prefer a slower pace

Great company !

Pros

HDS makes me feel as though I am part of the family. My manager has believed in me from day 1 definitely has my respect. My co-workers have pulled me in with open arms. Time off policy is much better than my previous company and they are very flexible on approving time off even when volume is heavy, as my coworker spull together to support my need for a day off. Very relaxed atomsphere, but not too relaxed. For the first time in a long time, I do not dread coming into work. I beleive in the product and everything they stand for.

Cons

Havnet came across any yet !

Could listen to the little people more often. There are many self promoters withing management so not all voices are heard. After all, the little people are what keep us going.

The Japanese Gem with A Culture that Really Means It

Current Employee - Officially Part of WW Marketing
    Current Employee - Officially Part of WW Marketing

Pros

Great culture. Usually companies say they have a great culture, and this is the first time I've ever really seen it be true, and I've worked at other large multinationals in tech. Team spirit and we're in it together attitude. Not territorial. All ideas welcome. Very collaborative. Great leaders. I've worked with very senior execs for 10+ years, and this leadership team is super smart, and very down to earth. Truly likable. Not glam rockstar CEOs like some tech companies. Just great visionary leaders inspiring and motivating. Very interesting technology as well. Known for quality, loved by customers. I've worked at companies who struggle with quality all the time, seem to not like their customers. This team cares. Consistent strategy works. it may not have the star power of Google (who i also really respect), but it's a great place to work, and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to do great work, be recognized for it, in an environment that is very welcoming.

Cons

Not being publicly held means no stock options...which is a big draw for most companies in tech. Find a way to balance it out, and ensure package is competitive to peer groups - from cost of insurance to bonuses.
    Require a certain amount of training per year; we grow by getting out of our environments.

Sales Executive

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Small business feel with support of billion $ parent company.

Cons

Needing to ultimately turn to Hitachi Ltd. to get approval on some sales strategies, pricing, etc.

Make work/life balance more of a priority for your employees.

Hitachi Data Systems is an overall nice place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Process Analyst  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Process Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Everyone is overly qualified, so they know what they're doing. The company promotes from within whenever possible. Employees are loyal and would like to stay with the company until they retire. Strong culture. Pride in excellent product.

Cons

Age of workforce. I'm 24 but everyone I work with is 55+. Uptight culture. Layers of management make decisions slow.

Consider additional benefits and perks to employees. It would be nice to have more party type events.

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!