Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
4.2

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys (in 27 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced (in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Hitachi Data Systems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent product, vision, and ability to execute at the engineering level. All teams are super competent. Many people work 1 or 2 days remotely to save on commute hassles. Management/IT has made this part of the culture.

Cons

Lots of work, which is also good thing- not many are working 8 hour days, but they are flexible in letting employees shift hours a bit as needed. There seems to be a different system and password for almost every task. I guess its part of scaling to a Billion $ company.

None to give. From what i see so far, they are executing well...

HDS is a Very Progressive Company!

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

HDS is focused on the right technology and leading into the 3rd Platform space. With the vision of the leadership, it is going to be very exciting to venture further into the future with this progressive company!!

Cons

HDS is evolving so quickly, we need to keep up the opporutnities for growth within for this highly skilled workforce. Training opportunites are welcomed for continued development as we continue to evolve into new technologies and the 3rd platform.

People who join HDS, look forward to staying at HDS and building their careers. Period.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The one thing that struck me most is that people look at HDS for long term careers. And I have found out why - it is all about a culture of interpersonal respect and empowerment. Basically, I have the liberty to carry a viewpoint, be respected for it and can look forward to work collaboratively and grow. This is a company that promotes from within.

Cons

Nothing, really. I have heard people saying that bringing in change is difficult but that is just not true. If you have a good idea, people around will help promote it pretty fast and you can even take help from other units seamlessly. It does happen and I can testify.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hitachi Data Systems, new Job

Current Employee - Product Support Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Product Support Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the culture, everyone seems to be very nice. Just started so I haven't done a dive into my work fully yet. Great Coworkers and a good manager to boot! Great facilities.

Cons

Had difficulties accessing the introduction to Hitachi presentation because I didn't have access to a fully configured computer. Not that big of a deal.

Happy at last!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I did not know that high tech companies with this kind of positive and supportive corporate culture existed. When we spend more time at out jobs than in our homes, it is so important to have a great team, work life balance and good managers. I have an extremely supportive HR team that bends over backwards to accomodate me and I am so impressed with all of the technical teams that I interact with. The engineers have been helpful, professional and available. All things that make a great team in my opinion. I am also very impressed with the benefits package...much better than most other companies that I've run across lately. HDS has been awarded Top 100 Compnaies to Work For by Fortune Magazine for 4 years in a row. Now that I work here I can see why. The employee dedication to their jobs, teams and this company is inspiring.

Cons

Maybe some growing pains since we are in growth mode; there are too few conference rooms.

I think the 6% matching on the 401K plan is great but please look at the time it takes to vest. Three years is too long. This should be 1 year max in order to stay competitive.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - TA Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - TA Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, benefits and technology. A company you can be proud to work for and put your name behind it.

Cons

Growing pains, however not really a true con as it is necessary to stay ahead in the market.

Continue on with your outstanding leadership! Thank you for caring about your employees!

Good company

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility YES; Compensation & Benefits quite GOOD comparing to other companies in IT industry; Nice people & friendly like a big family

Cons

can't think of any now

Sales company, not engineering company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great bonus system, ok base pay, corporate offices have nice snacks, and funky décor. Great cooperation between employees.

Cons

Expensive health care options, very focused on sales, not engineering. Some managers are not technical enough and over-busy. Some culture clash with Japanese peers- they have a different work ethic than in the US. You can work yourself to death to keep up.

Build great products if you want great sales. Building products for complex customer systems requires a lot of investment in development and testing.

Overall good company!

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company offers good benefits and flexible work options. Management cares about employee and is proud of the company culture and value. Great support from Senior management which is very critical in work!

Cons

Corporations among teams could be improved!

HDS is a great place for contractors.

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great hourly rate. Some of the searches that I've worked on have definitely challenged my sourcing skills. Fast paced and challenging. The ability to work remotely is a huge plus. Currently working on a small team with an excellent team lead. If you are a self starter with strong time management skills this could be the place for you.

Cons

None for me so far.

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!