Hitachi Data Systems

Hitachi Data Systems Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Mar 1, 2014

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme

Jack Domme

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys (in 27 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance continues to be a challenge for me, although self induced (in 5 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment

Lab Administrative Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of projects to support or be part of the teams involved. Very relaxed office culture. Gym and cafeteria were very organized and offered lots of options. Most employees are very positive and friendly.

ConsSome communication issues between management and regular staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to set up future interns with mentors who truly match the interns career goals and skills.

Overall a decent company to work for; but be mindful this is not a typical valley company

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros--good employee benefits
    --good bonuses in good years
    --depending on your manager and group, reasonable W/L balance
    --good niche products

Cons--not a typical fun or start up culture
    --no equity participation and upsides
    --politics, politics and politics
    --lack of transparency in decision making
    --data and systems
    --increased cost cutting

Not bad, not great

Senior SQA Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsMy immediate manager and their peers are very professional, and even-keeled. Third level management (for my division, based in the UK) are nice enough. My team members are all pleasant, competent, and helpful. There doesn't seem to be any of the back-biting I've seen at some places.

ConsAlthough the UK based management are nice, they seem to be a tad out of touch with the "cube dwellers" here in the US. It could be attributed to a difference in cultures -- after all, Silicon Valley Engineers can be a touch..... "out there".
    There have been some recent grumblings of discontent and several engineers have left due to dissatisfaction with recent executive project decisions. To be fair however, I feel management is putting forth a concerted effort to reverse the attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your efforts to retain good people as the Valley's job market for engineers seems to be heating up. I'm not one to advocate that employees be coddled, but when folks feel their efforts are wasted they'll look for a place where they are appreciated. That lead to a lot of lost productivity and re-invention of the wheel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very confused company

Consulting Sales Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsTries to provide honest and good products.
    It had been a good place to work like a family.

ConsHad lost their touch on how to provide good products due to too many internal politics and arguments with no leadership. Sadly, management encourages politics. Also too many reorg and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be strategy and leadership. Should focus on strategy and execute.

Very hierarchical culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsStable company
    No age discrimination here

ConsNot open to ideas from rank-and-file workers
    Unfair compensation system that gives much higher bonuses to grandfathered-employees, creating an unfair two-tier system
    Some of the worst managers I've had in my career

Need to respect employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFlexiable hours, no one care when you come and go. Work with some great people.

ConsSenior Managment to self centered. Thinks it is all about them. Makes cuts to all perks, but keeps there own. Requires me to live in Bay Area, but they are spread out all over the place. No raises, and review are done on a bell curve, not on merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever will to a top company until you learn how to treat your employees. Just becuase you spend some money on your people does not mean you will not make a profit.

Great Company to work for - Success does not come easy though!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture, employees are treated well; there's space for discussion and senior management is really close to the employees and very available. Salary and benefits are second to none and profit is shared fairly.

Very good internal relations between groups.

ConsPace may be slower than other companies and growth limited but the goals are long terms and not immediate gratification. Company is somewhat older than others but younger workers are coming in.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganic growth alone may be hard to achieve; need to diversify more.

Some good people, good products, but management support was so so at best

Recruiter (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsStrong group of employees, good product line and desirable place to work from a career perspective, lots of opportunity and easy transition into other Hitachi business. Competetive salaries and good locations. Company is open to transition and relocation if skillset is usefull.

ConsFound that politics rules the roost. While management was saying one thing they were doing another, no backbone.. Little support from HR on issues pertaining to personal circumstances.

Advice to Senior Managementutilize your management team in better ways, focus on people management instead of politics when shuffling personnel.

Fair and honest company to work for

Product Management Senior Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prospeople, rewarding job, good management; great quality products with great market acceptance

ConsIt's Japanese, run at another pace compared with the american counterpart but it is fair and treats employees with respect

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept a little more risk

Worked for Hitachi Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!