Hitachi Data Systems

Updated December 17, 2014
4.1

Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 36 reviews)

• OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences (in 6 reviews)

• Not many negatives about working at HDS for me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Product Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close work group, inspiring leader, solid product range and good pay. Employees have a sense of belonging working here. Employee benefits are comprehensive.

Cons

Sometime slow in reacting to market forces ... HDS should consider hiring from management schools to ensure continuous stream of talents.

Keep up the great job of coming out with reliable and high-performance solutions and keeping employees happy.

Busy bureaucratic place

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few good folks who know their functions and responsibilities. Decent pay package, and perks.

Cons

Lack of good, honest mentors.

Be more focused on innovation. Deliver efficiencies and results, and limit politics and bureaucracy.

HDS has great work-life balance but the environment is little passive and slow growth

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is very polite and respectful. Good work-life balance. Decent benefits including medical, 401k match and bonus package. Great products and solutions. Great values. Current and potential customers are the priority.

Cons

Pay not great, below other similar companies in the area. Personal growth is slow and personal growth planning is non-existent. Great products/solutions but storage industry is slowing down, need more innovation and new talent.

Lots of perks and big work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are really nice. you get your usual benes, but other things like 500 dollars a year to use on anything fitness related, 500 dollars a year to spend on whatever you please (no joke, just give the receipt and get reimbursed), paid volunteer time off, if you want to use your own mobile phone as a work number they will reimburse your monthly service cost.

Working from home seems to be really popular. I do it often. Most people I work with are in random locations so it makes sense to just work remotely.

The cafe is pretty nice, really inexpensive for what you get.

the culture and values are through the roof here too!

Cons

from my experience it is a very email and phone call heavy environment. People joke about how a lot of time is spent just talking about what to spend time on.

So far I'm okay with everything

Great management, and flexible scheduling

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom I had to schedule my work, I had complete freedom to work from home, or my own office. My manager was very understanding, and I felt respected and part of a team. She encouraged me to pursue challenges, and offered to help out with anything. Even though I was an intern, all the people on my team were always receptive and open to my ideas, and always took the time to explain how certain facets of the company worked. I felt like I got beyond useful real-life work experience in my time at HDS

Cons

Can get dull at times. There are random moments of crunch time here and there, and sometimes there was overlap of duties, and some mis-communication.

Company Employee Friendly but totally depends upon group

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work Life Balance on whole. Japanese Company so hiring and firing is not easy. The company was rated among the top 100 in Bay area. If you come, come as a FT not consultant.

Cons

Adapter Group is run by slave drivers. This group is the odd man out. Manager hires only consultants and expects and corners them in working 60+ hours a week with just 40 hrs of billing. Anybody who comes as a contractor is too worried to argue with this approach and has not choice but to accept this.

Lots and Lots of politics even at the grass root Engineer level.

Senior Management should monitor the people Managers directly and keep them in check.

Senior Management Disconnect

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

The people are great to work with. Excellent flexible working schedule. Education opportunities are excellent.

Cons

Senior management doesn't force change when its needed. They are afraid of change even when some senior managers have stated that we need to change processes to get to market on time.
    Not enough people to do the work causes some areas to work excessive hours. Yet in some departments they hire like it's going out of style. Inconsistent where resources are needed.
    Pay raises are minuscule.
    The public released average salary structure is based upon the Sales employees so it looks like all employees make a high salary.
    Increases in employee medical insurance costs are passed down to the employee, which have doubled and some plans more than doubled.
    Nothing is ever done about problem employees.
    The low attrition rate is skewed because they keep half of your bonus until the end of the year. If a person leaves before the end of the year, they can't collect the 50% held.

Management needs to listen to what is going on around them and make changes to increase the positive growth of the company. The company has the attitude that if its worked this way for the last 20 years, don't change it. Positive change produces growth and growth produces revenue.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HDS gave me the opportunity to advance in my career and are providing multiple resources to see me succeed.

Cons

Every company has it's negative aspects.

Great People, Great Company, Awesome Solutions

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and culture at HDS is phenomenal. Having been in the industry for a couple of decades, I have been a part of many teams and I can honestly say that the HDS people are what makes a difference. Many companies talk about ethics and culture, none really come close to HDS in walking the walk!

Cons

None. We are in a challenging industry with challenging competition...

I love my management team and my direct manager is great!

i loved the experience there.

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People make it fun to work.

Cons

They don't respond in a timely manner.

Hitachi Data Systems Photos