Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

• Santa Clara, CA
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Good, but could be great!

Current Contractor - QA Engineer - Tools/Automation in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - QA Engineer - Tools/Automation in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Mature technology. Opportunity to learn SAN and NAS. Friendly people. Nice Gym and Cafeteria.

Cons

Not enough collaborative work between team workers. This could be just a reflection of the team I worked with and not the whole company.

Advice to Management

Hire the right mid level managers that inspire and grow the team.

2. A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Communications in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Communications in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What sets HDS apart from other companies is its culture: the Hitachi Spirit. The company really lives it's values. The people are nice (and brilliant), the campus is lovely (I love the onsite gym and the water features) and the company's commitment to Social Innovation equates to meaningful work.

Cons

There isn't much space left at the campus in Santa Clara, so booking meetings in conference rooms can be challenging. This is a small gripe - I honestly have been loving my experience at HDS.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. Serious work environment

Current Employee - SAP Solution Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - SAP Solution Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talent coworkers, challenging projects, lots of opportunities. It's a great place to get the professional experience.

Cons

Everybody sits in their cubes all day. Lack of communication between senior and upper junior. Salary doesn't reflect workload, a full time member is expected to work 60hr/week without getting overtime.

Advice to Management

Since the company is big, we can't expect it to run like a start-up, however, provide a nice work environment will help a lot. And it's important to increase the bonus package.

5. HDS, nice company

Former Employee - Alliance Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Alliance Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great respect of employees and great support

Cons

none I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

6. Great opportunities for growth for young professional

Current Employee - Operations in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems

Pros

As an intern, HDS encouraged me to make real contributions to the business. My team listened to the feedback I provided for our project, and I saw tangible results from my contributions. By the end of my summer internship, I felt valued by my peers and those in management positions. The HDS Intern program is also well managed. Almost every week there is some sort of event or speaker for the interns to learn from. -Free gym membership with 24/7 access

Cons

No cons in my experience

7. Nice team to work with but boring environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

The people are, for the most part, very helpful and friendly. There is a team feeling, regardless of the fact that it's a large company. There's an onsite gym, onsite cafe with slightly subsidized meals, building and facilities are pretty nice.

Cons

The company is stuck in it's ways and it's very difficult to change any existing processes. The base salaries are pretty low and they rarely promote or give raises. However, the annual bonuses can be pretty good. The systems are also very out of date and prevent employees from working efficiently.

Advice to Management

recognize employees for time they've put in at the company and performance. Otherwise you'll lose good employees to competitors that will pay upwards of 50% more.

Good pay but they may over work you

Former Contractor - Cs&S in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Cs&S in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, worldwide company, good training for employees and great co-workers.

Cons

They are trying to outsource and turn most of the employees into contractors as they get older. No training for contractors.

Advice to Management

Better communication, don't leave people hanging out to dry or twisting in the wind.

9. People are like family. It's a very collaborative environment

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are willing to help and go the extra mile in order to get projects done.

Cons

Systems (CRM, travel portal, internal site, websites) in place are old thus making operations more complex affecting productivity

Advice to Management

Overhaul the website to represent the true HDS brand especially where the company is heading. Invest in CRM tools and a modern web platform that support digital and social media. Modernize the expense and travel systems in order to improve productivity.

Good Company

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good corporate culture. Perhaps due to not being a public company or that they are foreign owned, the pace is not overly hectic. Spoken from a Finance perspective of course and as such there is no SEC reporting deadline and a somewhat reduced policy requirement.

Cons

When times and revenues are good its great, when sales are down they easily lay-off and get grumpy from a mgmt perspective. The products are the highest quality and performance while the price reflects that and limits market share.

Advice to Management

Demand more from yourselves at the mid level.

Good Company with opportunities to grow when you are a full time, Solutions Engineering SIE Organization is a sweat shop

Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and work Culture for employees. Numerous social events with Opportunity to mingle with colleagues Great Japanese influence.

Cons

I don't know about whole HDS but here is my experience of working as a consultant in Oracle Adapters, Solutions Engineering (SIE) Organization. The Oracle/SAP Adapters Organization is led by some wrong person. Due to his technical inabilities and in-competencies in Oracle/SAP, there is a lot of politics and favoritism in the team. Here is my personal experience, I was there in the company/group for hardly 4 months and had to leave as I got mentally harassed the limit. When I left, I gave standard 2 weeks/10 days of notice. On the 8th day, they scheduled product based training for me to host to Support folks who were supporting the product/project I had developed. As soon as the training was imparted @sharp 5:00 PM, I was asked to let go even though I still had 2 days left for the notice period. Essentially, they were just waiting for me to impart the training. HDS is a great company but because of few people's behavior the rating of the whole company goes down. Sorry for my low rating to HDS.

Advice to Management

Advice to existing employees/consultants:- Do not give standard 2 weeks notice, else your fate would be like mine. Advice to new-comers as consultants:- Do thorough investigation and research before joining this company/organization. If joining Oracle Adapters/SIE, Be prepared to be exploited. Don't believe in false promises like Contract to Hire.

RSS Feed </> Embed