Hitachi Data Systems Reviews

Reset
4.6
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Jack Domme
Jack Domme

Pros
  • Company has decent work-life balance (a lot of the population is remote) (in 36 reviews)

• Good working environment & office culture, good standard perks & benefit for MNC, quarterly bonus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is ok, but requires late evening or early morning meetings due to the west coast/east coast time differences (in 6 reviews)

• Not many negatives working at HDS for me , there have a lot of training here (in 4 reviews)

1. Product Manager

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great team with great products,

Cons

Not located at corporate HQ.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job, keep it up.

Love working here, HDS benefits indirect

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and everyone is eager to make great products. We have really been working hard at ramping up our engineering org to a whole new level. All of our teams work really hard to always be using the latest software, development tools, and best practices. Everybody is very helpful and willing to consider multiple approaches. This one two punch creates an excellent learning environment for picking up a multitude of skills. We have regular outings to relax and mingle. We also have events like hackathons to let people work in alternate projects or with different people or to just take a small break from the main job. There are also neat perks like being treated to a "night on the town" for when you really impress someone. Internal to the Engineering group we work very hard to maintain a flat management style and startup culture. To a reasonable degree, engineers can seek what is most interesting to them and move between projects and products. Taking a year to work in alternate office locations to share work culture and practices between teams is also always an option, which can be refreshing.

Cons

The pay in engineering is a tad on the low side compared to the industry averages. The bonuses more recently have essentially become a static value where individual performance is no longer calculated. The healthcare benefits have become more expensive and less enticing in the time I have been here. There is a large disparity in quality of life between each of the main engineering offices in terms of how far they are willing to go to make your work life comfortable. You have to game the system and move between roles and offices to force raises to happen. At the office level, engineering is treated amazingly. At the organizational level, where things like pay and benefits come from, sometimes it still feels like we are still just a sales organization with engineering being treated as an afterthought.

Advice to Management

There is a clear disconnect between "What it was built to do/cost" and "What some people are selling it to do/market price". This feeds back negatively into engineering. We don't seem to try very hard to make enticing employment offers. We spend an insane amount of time and resources skimming recruiting agencies, which has generally poor results. Often, when we do find someone we want to hire, we send them a lowball contracting offer where they are paid hourly and wont even get vacation time or sick leave. I understand this makes it easier to eliminate them if they don't work out, but that is what probationary periods are for.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

The people here are really friendly and easy to get along with. The office is relatively young and energetic. A lot of the engineers seem really committed and hard working. There are some extremely talented engineers here as well. It's a fun place to work and management really cares about keeping people happy.

Cons

The health insurance isn't great, but otherwise the compensation/benefits seem fine.

5. Nice company. Great people to work with.

Former Intern - QA Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - QA Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good internship opportunity. Gave interns hands on work which is also done by regular employees. Friendly staff. Office as a whole takes part in charity work.

Cons

Location - Too far and not many places to eat around. I tried contacting the office for a proof of work certificate/letter. Generally other offices give this letter in a day or 2. But HDS just kept redirecting me to different people and I finally gave up.

6. HDS is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, smart and friendly people

Cons

none that I can think of

Hitachi Data Systems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product, vision, and ability to execute at the engineering level. All teams are super competent. Many people work 1 or 2 days remotely to save on commute hassles. Management/IT has made this part of the culture.

Cons

Lots of work, which is also good thing- not many are working 8 hour days, but they are flexible in letting employees shift hours a bit as needed. There seems to be a different system and password for almost every task. I guess its part of scaling to a Billion $ company.

Advice to Management

None to give. From what i see so far, they are executing well...

Sales company, not engineering company

Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bonus system, ok base pay, corporate offices have nice snacks, and funky décor. Great cooperation between employees.

Cons

Expensive health care options, very focused on sales, not engineering. Some managers are not technical enough and over-busy. Some culture clash with Japanese peers- they have a different work ethic than in the US. You can work yourself to death to keep up.

Advice to Management

Build great products if you want great sales. Building products for complex customer systems requires a lot of investment in development and testing.

Wrote software user guide for Hitachi Tuning Manager product, part of the Hitachi Storage Command suite of products.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer/XML Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer/XML Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting products, collegial atmosphere, intelligent colleagues

Cons

There are not really any cons that I can think of.

10. Smart people, interesting work, opportunities abound

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented engineers Innovative product Management encourages career growth Plenty of leadership opportunities on feature teams Exposure to many different parts of the system, have learned a lot.

Cons

Marketing is not very strong

Advice to Management

Better marketing

Don't assert yourself, you'll threaten management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Flexible work culture (work from home, etc). Technology is interesting.

Cons

Managers don't trust the people that work for them. If you try to assert yourself, you're labeled a misfit and will be blacklisted (which is worse, IMO, than just straight-out getting fired). Culture feels like the gulag at times. When people leave, or have significant milestones (5 years service, for example) they are not recognized. If you're not in the "in" crowd, forget about advancement or raises. There is no career path for technical people, unless you want to be a manager.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. Trust the people that you hire to do their job. Stop micro-analyzing everything. Most managers don't understand software development; the ones that do, don't know how to work with people.

RSS Feed </> Embed