Hitachi Medical Systems America

Updated May 9, 2014
Updated May 9, 2014
3.1

Donald Broomfield

Treated as a valued employee

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company provides necessary tools and equipment and information.
    Management effectively communicates.
    A good climate for employees with families, plenty of down time.

Cons

Limited management opportunities.
    Limited training opportunities

Be transparent about the future and state of the company.

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Accountant in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Accountant in Wallingford, CT

Pros

Relaxed environment, opportunities to grow professionally

Cons

Co workers who don't do anything can be frustrating

Don't be afraid to ask your employees to do their job, and let them know when they've made errors so they can correct them.

Perhaps the best job I've ever had...

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work from home and travel to customer sites. No micro-management lots of freedom.

Cons

Training isn't very good, it just takes years of experience and self discipline to succeed at the job.

Better communication and transparency with field engineers would make the job better.

Hostile work environment, poor compensation a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Hitachi Medical Systems America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, work from home, excellent healthcare.

Cons

You have good employees and great products but you do not care about your employees whatsoever and it shows. You treat them as though their lives and the sacrifices they make mean nothing. This is exhibited by the poor pay, excessive work hours due to waves of layoffs at multiple levels(Field Engineers, Managers, etc..), terrible management at every level, lack of advancement opportunities and the lack of any incentives to do anything but the minimum amount of work required. The complete lack of proper training this company provides is ridiculous. I was expected to work on 5 different kinds of MRI machines, CT, PET, and Ultrasound all with 3 weeks of training. Add to that a hostile work environment that starts with the VP of Field Service and is translated all the way down to the district managers. This couldn't be a more unfriendly and stressful place to work.

Your people are your greatest asset and you treat them terribly. You need to do more for your employees; pay them better, offer them competitive bonuses and other forms of compensation. Offer more training and treat them as though they are more than monkeys at the end of a phone line. Equip them with tools they need to succeed and provide them with stable secure employment.

Good company - but no advancement

Former Employee - Main Office in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Main Office in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Hitachi Medical Systems America

Pros

Overall company is ok. Co-workers and most of the managers are friendly. Standard benefits. medical coverge is very good and a lower rate then most companies. Very little turnover. Some flexibility in hours - depends on department.

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities. Very slow pace. Good if you just want to put your time in and go home.
    Company re-structures about every 2 yrs and input/happiness of employees is not considered. Communication from management has gotten worse over the years so employees are left guesing as to what is going on.
    Salaries are below average - especially for long time employees

Return to the customer focus that made Hitachi succesful in the past. Ask for employee input and acutally listen.

Horrible

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America

Pros

Experience, fellow engineers, customers, previous manager

Cons

Work life balance, not enough money

Reduce the work load

Get Out While You Can

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America

Pros

Good Benefits, decent salary, fellow engineers are awesome, and great customers.

Cons

Management has never been in the field or had prior medical equipment experience. Company car is now a Matrix which is too small for the tools you need and the amount of driving now required. Can not offer suggestions without the fear of being whacked. You have to keep your phone on you for the weekends without any compensation for it. The new service plan is more of a college senior project than a proven model of success. The workload has tripled while the pay remains the same. A quote from the main manager sums up the attitude in the home office "Field Engineers are a dime a dozen".

Go back to focusing on the customer by making sure the employees are happy. If we're happy and appreciated it reflects in our interaction with the customers. Don't cut the field so thin that if someone leaves there will be no one to cover their area.

Overall a good place to work, but it could be much, much better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America

Pros

Good work/life balance; very good benefits; nice facilities; great people; nice events for home employees; ability to have any impact across all areas; everyone knows each other; fair pay. Great place to get experience and put it to good use for someone else.

Cons

Senior managment can't get out of their own way; little room to move; question if current senior management can take company to the next level; departmental silos; words like "team" and "quality" used a lot, but no real substance to them; slow to change. Some managers afraid to creatively lead for fear of being "wacked" by their VP, new ideas are not valued.

Yes, lose the 1990's management styles, the good ole boy era is dead, lead or get out of the way.

Sleepy place. Dont bother

Current Employee - Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Hitachi Medical Systems America

Pros

This company is good for people just looking for good money, benefits, paid time-off, family life balance. This not a place for ambitious career oriented people who want rise and move ahead in their careers. Most people who work here have either associates degree or bachelors. There are too many political issues with this company that does not let it compete with big players in this field.

Cons

I would not recommend this place to someone looking for a good career with great growth opportunity. Currently there are zero career opportunity for engineers. If you work here, you would be spending 50% of your time doing some work and other 50% would be no-brainer stuff. Do not waster your time here. There are much better opportunities that will give u less pay earlier but it will pay off as u move ahead.

Stop making ill-informed uneducated decisions. Get some perspective.

Very solid company. Enjoyed it.

I worked at Hitachi Medical Systems America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Pay and Benefits
    -Co-workers are always willing to work with you to accomodate personal or work related scheduling difficulties. This was vital in the field where service coverage was limited.
    -In charge of your own schedule.
    -Company vehicle, laptop, all in one printer, cell phone are provided. No cost to employee and can be used for personal as long as you don't abuse them.

Cons

-Serious lack of communication between Field Personel and management in Twinsburg, OH. Most of the Service area managers have only been in the position for about a year or two with many not having seen the equipment or employees they supervise.
    -Lack of training for Field personel. Sometimes it felt as though you were showing up to a site to fix a scanner and figuring out things on the fly. I routinely asked myself "why hasn't anyone made sure I know what I'm doing and taken the time to train me?"
    -Poor documentation. Alot of the maintenance requirements reference documents and directions that don't exist. With the lack of training I would sometimes be at a complete loss as to what to do. I would ask my Senior engineers who were always very helpful and alot of times they wouldn't really know either.
    -Most service contracts were from 8-5 Monday through Friday. Unfortunitely the Field Engineers were oncall 24/7 if a scanner was down. I was sent on a service call 1030PM on a Saturday night and received another call from my manager at 530AM on another occasion.

Overall good. Just make a stronger effort to engage your employees on both a professional and personal level...keep them in the loop.