Hobbico

Wayne Hemming

Big toy store

Former Employee - Pick Clerk in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Pick Clerk in Reno, NV

I worked at Hobbico full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your hobbies include anything that has to do with remote controlled cars/boats/planes or puzzles and models, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Some of the employees treat this as a big social gathering while on the clock. A lot of cliques in this company.

Start cracking down on employees who consider this a hang out and then people wont have to stay later just to get the job done.

Great people, poor career mobility and lack of company adaptability lend to stagnation in an ever-expanding industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Hobbico full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues become family. Variety of products to be had with employee discount. Though cheesy, often have small incentive lunches provided by the company and other activities to pass the time.

Cons

Upward mobility is difficult as many of the upper and middle management refuse to be dethroned by new ideals and continue to hold to philosophies that drag them down in the world market for hobby products. In my department there is a large degree of churn (high level of turnover) due to the complexity of the job and lack of basic financial hygiene; compensation is not equal to the level of technical aptitude required for the job. Many more points may be addressed, but I refrain from acknowledging them here, this is just a taste.

It has been posed to me on several occasions, by my superiors mostly, that there is no room for growth in this company because 'we do things the way we know and do not consider NEW to be an option.' Many of the upper echelon have remained far too long--retire already! Please realize that streamlining logistics and managing a tighter supply chain will provide a world of difference. To continue with a broken process and disjointed system because it is comfortable/known is asinine.

New employee, excited for a rewarding ride.

Current Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Hobbico full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am new to the company and very excited with a lot of the changes that are in the works. More than half of the employees have been here for 20 years or more, which is very impressive (and usual in today's age). They have realized that they need to stay current and fresh and are currently reevaluating a lot of things in order to take the company to the next level. Everyone is very nice and willing to work hard together. There is a great "boot camp" experience that provides a good glimpse into each of the different departments (although its exhausting, its well worth the time).

Cons

There seems to be a lot of red tape, but it seems like it is just a matter of learning how to work within and around it.

Old Cuture Not Suited for Growth

Former Employee - Sales in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Champaign, IL

I worked at Hobbico full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All that being said...it is a place that is "by the people for the people." The relationships that I built with my co-workers was tight and personal. Among ourselves we supported each other and grew as a solid team that could rely on each other to answer questions and formulate ideas on how to be successful. The products that we sold were interesting and fun. Working with my client base was enlightening and fruitful.

Cons

The culture of the company was sales forward to a fault. The company often put customers second to their own ambitions. They used various techniques and strategies "against" the customers that I found "questionable", all in an effort to fatten their bottom line. These shady techniques were often provable through common sense and simple mathematics. If you questioned these methods you were treated like a second class employee.
    This attitude trickled down to the office staff.
    The company was always "first" above:
    1) Quality pay, heck, fair pay, for the staff even through numerous years of double digit profit gain and plenty of takeover expansion. Most employees worked there for ten or more years with very little in pay raises to show for their efforts. Many I know were responsible for millions of dollars in sales annually and couldn't afford to buy even a simple home.
    2) No "benefit of the doubt" was considered for any business actions or negotiations when proof was evident or common sense dictated it was a good idea. Management style was "do as I say" and anything contrary to that was shut down quickly...again, even if was contrary to best practices.
    3) Even after it was demonstrated on numerous occasions that I and others put the needs of the company first, we were doubted and held under thumb. Smoke and mirrors was prevalent. We all worked hard and acted as ambassadors for the company and were treated as if our input was less than valuable.
    The company did not foster listening to the staff where new ideas were concerned. Even if they helped save the company money, time or wasted energy. I was actually told "we have enough people with ideas around here." The company did not foster professional or even personal growth. Enough employees experienced this over years and years, that most did the bare minimum and ceased trying to contribute to the culture of this self-serving environment.

Pay your employees fairly. Not ridiculously, just fairly. You will see better results and more contribution across the board. Listen to your employees. They are the reason you are successful. They bring a myriad of experience to the table and have come from a variety of different industries, educations and backgrounds. Respect your customers and operate your business with integrity. They are the sole reason that you are there.

I hated every day at Hobbico

I worked at Hobbico full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Walking out the door each day.

Cons

I was in a first floor department (trying to remain anonymous) at Hobbico and worked there for more than 5 years. Hobbico is managed by an insestuous group of managers that have been with the company at least 20 years. They only know the management style they inherited from those before them........and those people were idi**s too! They are not open to new ideas. They do not adopt new styles. They're only interested in self preservation and are idi**s. Suggest a better way to do things and you'll be told, "that's not how we do it here." The woman directing my first floor department has no business being in her position and managing a creative team. She, like all other managers at Hobbico, do what they've been told by their superiors. Long Story Short ( :) ), accept a job here only if you're willing to become a Zombie and take direction from idi**s only interested in covering their butts.

Retire. Hire individuals from outside the company and let them do what they KNOW FROM THEIR EXPERIENCE works!

this is a horrible place to work!!!

Former Employee - Packer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Packer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Hobbico full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing that was good was weekends off and the people I worked with.

Cons

no communication between management and employees, long hours and they make you work overtime on a moments notice. you never know whats going on with the rules cause they change them all the time and don't tell you. the rules for the Lipo batteries change all the time and you never know what to do and most the time either do the managers. the favoritism is unreal in the packing department. only certain people get away with stuff. they are all about your stats, its quantity over quality. they only hand out truck orders to certain people, and the main boss don't know how to speak to people, he is very rude and has no leadership skills at all. they have people doing three to four different jobs and then yell at you if your numbers suffer because of it!!

there is too many chiefs and not enough indians, get it together and pay attention to your employees, everyone is miserable there and learn how to properly run that company. If you were as worried about your employees as you are about the money that place would be a lot better place to work. teach your supervisors how to talk to people!!

Not a great place to work !!!

Former Employee - Packing in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Packing in Champaign, IL

I worked at Hobbico full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some great people and weekends off

Cons

horrible hours, no communication between management and employees, all they care about is you hitting your numbers. doing several different jobs plus yours. poor management skills!!

Hire more people , stop worrying about the numbers, have more respect for employees!!

Not a bad place for J-O-B but not somewhere I'd try and make a career

Former Employee - Inbount Sales Representative in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Inbount Sales Representative in Champaign, IL

I worked at Hobbico

Pros

Minimal interaction from management when doing everything correctly.
    Great products to sell and good technical support from industry leading product support

Cons

Focused entirely on numbers and not behind what the numbers mean or could lead to in the future. Management also has a difficult time leading this particular position because it is a sales position that 'isn't really sales'

Also no flexibility with time usage, sales goals, etc

Learn how to be a good leader. This is for everyone in management, there are only 1 or 2 'good' leaders within the management structure but even they aren't great. You need to learn to respect your employees, support their decisions, and teach them how to constantly improve.

I would also implement 4 or 5 new key results numbers so if reps have a difficult territory in one area they can still see how they are doing in other areas.

Stressfull, unsupportive environment.

I worked at Hobbico

Pros

*decent starting pay
    *Not difficult work
    *Many different departments to work in
    *Flexible hours and days
    *Decent time off provided

Cons

*unsupportive environment
    *management not well trained and did not treat everyone the same
    *not very good pay
    *no room for promotions

*Treat everyone the same
    *strive towards a better work environment
    *offer better pay raises when possible
    *keep staff better informed of changes and policy