Hobby Lobby

Updated January 25, 2015
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

a great family oriented place to work

Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

works with you about schedule conflicts, great pay, merchandise is outstanding with quality and quantity.

Cons

need more people to work during the Christmas season,

hire more people during the christmas season

you do not have much say on what goes on in your store

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

the pay is very good for what you do and they work well with your school schedule if you are a student

Cons

people from the corporate offices always come in to grade the store and when they do they always tell you to do something new. this would not be bad if it was different for every store but it is not. They do not realize that every store is different and depending on the location you are in, you may need to do some things a little differently.

H.L on the D.L

Current Employee - As A Matter of Fact, the Whole Store in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - As A Matter of Fact, the Whole Store in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The items in the stores are nice, prices are so-so because of weekly discount savings, 40% coupon is good, the music is relaxing while you shop, some of the stores are clean and bright and some employees are friendly. Closed on Sundays but open for employees during new location store set and otherwise.

Cons

Store sets are tideous and confusing since there no aisle to show which department to deliver stock to, items to ring up individually on register, orientation takes 90 days before hire as a PT/FT but no one really gets FT. Store hours 9am-8pm good for customers but employees leaves 2-4 hours later cleaning and covering the diamonds.

Upper management should use modern technology in stores to prevent loss, advise store managers how to be courteous to employees as they do with customers. Store managers should meet with employees to disuss there work performance at least once a month, thank employees for their effort before ending their seasonal assignment without his/her knowledge, and let's work as a team.

Pay not Equal for Part-Timer's Responsibilities

Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I was a framer for 3 years and recently had to quit due to a move. Management was good, coworkers were nice, hours fine.

Cons

It would have been nice to get paid more for the extra responsibility part-time framers have. One night while working alone, I was juggling 2-3 different customers, trying to finish custom orders due the next day, answering the phone, and start recovery within the hour. As I was sweating buckets with all these expectations, I see the stock boy just casually walk by sweeeeeeping. I think to myself, "and we make the same wage??". I don't get it.

Pay part-time framers more for all the responsibility and skills they have. This job was very stressful at times; especially if you're expected to achieve many tasks and responsibilities in the few hours you're working. Rewards for obtaining a high upselling percentage would've been appreciated too.

I was a part time cashier who worked fair hours, checking, wrapping, and bagging customers purchases.

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The hours are amazing! They close at 8, and I was always busy, but never too busy.

Cons

It was difficult to request off. The managers rarely accept any requests, and you aren't allowed to request off any time during the holiday season ever.

Fast paced labor intensive job, fun enviroment and good people to work with

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Closed on Sundays with decent earning potential

Cons

Lots of manual labor involved in resetting the store for each holiday.

It's retai

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Works well with my home life.

Cons

Understaffed as lot of the time.

Train people better so you can count on people other than the ones that have been there forever.

I worked at Hobby Lobby for less than a year

Current Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Happy store. Customers love it!

Cons

Not enough help. Hard to get time off.

Treat people with respect and you will get more out of them.

Co-manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You don't have to work on Sundays and you have enough payroll to pay your employees very well.

Cons

You have to order everything in the store by hand, they don't have weekly conference calls so no one is on the same page, You are required to work at least 2 open to close shifts a week, and you are required to work 6 days a week from black friday through the end of January. You also only get a week of vacation for the first two years of employment.

If everyone in the company acted the way that the people at corporate acted the company would be phenomenal to work for. Have weekly conference calls so that everyone is on the same page, it will improve productivity so your employees don't have to redo the same area every time a new member of corporate comes to visit. I can''t tell you how many times we had to change something when the DM would come in and then just have to change it back to the way we had it when the regional guy would come visit. Also, You preach family first but you're really not. Have you regional and higher ups have the common courtesy to call and say "we aren't going to make it in today" so that the management team doesn't have to stay several days in a row from open to close just in case you might show up.

Great pay, horrible benefits and management.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Homewood, AL
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Homewood, AL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Developing friendships for life with coworkers, great pay,and awesome clientele.

Cons

Horrible benefits, and management and scheduling.

Favoritism should not be allowed within being a manager. Should treat everyone the same. And with the same fairness.

Hobby Lobby Photos