Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
2.5

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees and competitive hourly pay. Only worked two Sundays a year in December. Company continues to grow. Good bonuses quarterly(payroll) and yearly if you meet financial goals. No micromanagement

Cons

No work/life balance and working 6 days a week from thanksgiving till the end of January. If a manager quits no backup you work every Saturday till another one is hired, which can take 3 months. Better training for store managers some are moved up because they can merchandise but not fully trained on payroll/hiring procedures for company.
     No way of looking into other positions within the company and uncomfortable asking upper management due to retaliation. They push to have freight processed within 48 hours which takes most of your payroll.
    The owners are Christians but it does not reach the regional/district managers which require you to work extra hours if you get behind.
    I have had some upper managers that if you don't suck up to them are disrespectful to you.

Training for managers, balanced payroll to match needs for stores, a system to review other positions available in the company

A great job to start off and build your experience!

Former Employee - Stockman  in  West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Stockman in West Bend, WI

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team of co-workers that will go to any length to help each other. Great team of managers that continuously find new ways to enhance the store and business as a whole

Cons

Occasionally you will get a few members that aren't team players and will put little effort into helping more then needed.

Ensure you reward those who continually give the company a great name and put their all into their work. Also those that don't need to have their jobs terminated to bring in better employee's.

Even if it were selling car parts I would love my Store!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Merced, CA

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

My co-worker all get along, we bring in snacks and share when we have extra or sometimes someone will buy snacks for everyone. 15% discount on top of the sale OR coupon price. Not open on Sundays. I agree with company morals and love how the company started with a loan and a dream. With it being a craft/hobby store we tend to get more calm customers, or the elderly who are cute. If I need help I know I can ask someone and they wont look down on me. They work with your schedule.

Cons

part timers don't get insurance and the hours usually stay under 25 per week.. No bar codes so we have to type in the prices and remember what is on sale every week (not all that hard actually).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

casual retail environment, policies are adaptive to environment. Benefits and time off are similar to other companies. Pay rate for hourly employees is incredible and employment is selective because of that. Attitude is everything!

Cons

Leadership selection is dependent on the store, some people were not mean to lead. This is a common occurrence in every job setting.

Retail management should go through the same selection processes as any other field, choosing the right LEADER is imperative to store success. Leadership vs. management education.

I enjoyed working there and I learned a lot about retail, customer service, merchandising, displays, and counter relays.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent company too work for excellent wages,benefits and opportunity for advancement. They have a good training program. Each new employee watches a series of videos too learn about the company, store policies and what their responsibilities will be.

Cons

It is a fast passed store with high standards, they receive a lot of freight that has too be opened and stock at a fast pass. If you are interested in management there is a lot of working hours that can interfere with work-life balance.

Communicate with each employee one on one daily helping them to better understand what they need too do in there departments. Everyday is a learning experience for each employee no matter how long they have worked there.

Be prepared to not be prepared.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great company with great pay for the job required.

Cons

Not all management upholds the company values.

Great place to work! Really enjoyed the atmosphere and managment worked great with my schedule. Positive experience!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Family environment and management was great to work with. Room for growth if willing to work hard and be a dedicated employee.

Cons

In my experience I did not have any cons. Everything was a very positive experience and would highly recommend.

A very draining experience

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They suck you in with good pay, benefits, holiday bonuses and Sundays off. I left with plenty of experience to put on a resume.

Cons

Due to increasing pay for full-timers, part-time employee hours were cut to one or two days a week. Department heads were left to pick up the slack; running our own departments, setting seasonal merchandise, helping customers, and running a register all at once in a busy store. Customers complained on a regular basis, were unable to read signs, and left piles of merchandise and garbage . Management expected miracles, but the stock room ended up with seasonal stock piled, literally, floor to ceiling. Outside help was needed, and both manager and co-manager quit soon after. Company "values" are superficial, essentially limited to playing Christian soft jazz music and cutting off the informative tags of expensive handmade Indian blankets because of the word "gods". Most decor items come from China or India, and are poor quality. Christmas decor started to be set in June, and by the time the holidays came around employees were left feeling disenchanted, albeit sparkly with glitter. During monthly stock tests, we were reprimanded when a customer bought all of a certain item. Some employees worked 12-13 hours on truck days; all freight had to be put up, and sometimes a last minute decision would arise to complete a reset or markdown.

Get in touch with your employees, realize when they are being overworked. Stop sending all seasonal stock at once when department resets are still being sent out.

not what you would expect

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good pay and bonuses after a year~ personal time and vacation for full time employees, but the management has their view of what is considered personal time.

Cons

Full time means 35 hours, never enough help, demanding management. Never enough employees scheduled so the customers can't ever find somebody to help them.

Can literally suck the life right out of you!

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Store closes at 8 daily (actually stays open until 9 on Black Friday & the following day); closed on Sundays; good pay; offers insurance.

Cons

Our store's air conditioning unit totally sucks! It is extremely warm in there, and we are still having to wear the vest or those AWFUL shirts!! Why can't someone come up with a Hobby Lobby t-shirt??? Seems simple enough. Not much chance for moving up within the store. Dept managers are given too many tasks to accomplish on a daily basis. Certain employees in my store are "privileged", in that they rarely have to ring on a register, don't have to close as often as others, and seem to do what they want! Although we are given vacation time, we are not allowed to use it Oct - Jan, nor can we put in for any personal paid time off during that time. Weekly scheduled are not posted until the Friday beforehand...doesn't leave you much of an opportunity to schedule doctor's appointments, etc. We may not have much of a life, but we do have one!

How about some of you Oklahoma folks coming into the stores and actually talk to department managers and part-timers. Ask them, on a store-by-store basis, how things are going in that store. I am sure they might just be shocked as to what actually goes on!!

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!