Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays(in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time(in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed(in 20 reviews)

Bi Polar Work Environment

Cashier (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsOne of the best things about this company is their flexibility in working around my college schedule.

ConsWere very inconsiderate when time was needed off for family emergencies, or sick leave. The managers are over worked and take it out on the employees. There are little to no leadership opportunities, chances for promotion or personal growth.

A part time job with values

Cashier (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsGet to work for pretty good wages, especially for a retail store.
    Good hours, can be flexible.

ConsWhile the head of the company is indeed Biblical as they claim, some managers just do their own thing. I had one manager that would keep us until nearly ten each night, then after he left we had one that kept us only as needed (generally nine at the latest) and we were all a lot happier and more unified with the second.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all the managers on the same page.

An Alright Place to Work

Cashier (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsI did enjoy my time here, and it was certainly a better place to work than Michaels. It has a good starting wage at $10 an hour, and the management and other employees were nice and easy to work with. The store was very clean and well organized and there was almost always a place for any product, which made it fairly to put most things away. There is also a variety of things to do and as a cashier you don't always find yourself stuck at the register, and will sometimes be sent to the back to complete various assigned projects, like taking back unwanted merchandise, stocking the shelves, opening and sorting home accent or holiday boxes, setting up displays, or cleaning/organizing the store. Very easy to find your way around the store once you get used to the orientation, and the other employees are always willing to help if you are having trouble figuring out where a product is. They do give long work hours, so that you won't always be going to work and only work for 4 hours or less (that was a problem at Michaels for me), and it is nice to have Sundays off so that you can go to church or relax.

ConsTo begin with, the head of the company didn't believe in scanners and wanted the cashiers to know the products of the store, so all of the prices had to be hand-keyed into the cash register which set up more opportunities to make mistakes, and also caused it to take longer to ring people up (especially when they have a lot of product). Because you have to hand key in the prices, this also means that you have to memorize the sale ad for that week and it can be confusing to distinguish what was on sale the previous week, vs. what is currently on sale. After a while, you'll notice a pattern (at least in home accents which alternates every other week), but it can be especially confusing with some of the other departments. At the store we worked at, we also didn't have any walkie-talkies, so the only way to communicate with other employees was through the scattered phone stations throughout the store. This means that it could take a while sometimes to get answers to questions, especially when the employee had to run back and forth from the shelves to the phone station or front of the store in case they needed to see what you had a question about. Often don't have time to complete the projects you have been assigned, but at least it isn't boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if we were able to have access to some better, and quick way to to communicate with employees so that it won't take so long to get answers, which tends to slow down the lines and make customers impatient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager is insane...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woodbury, MN

ProsPay is above average if you are full time. Closed on Sundays. Christian company.

ConsFull time hard to achieve. Most people are part time which means lower pay. Work off the clock is normal and required. Meetings are off the clock in many cases. Cashiers must type in prices and departments of the merchandise instead of scanning, which can lead to many mistakes. Terrible management!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are told one thing by one manager; other by another manager. It is very difficult to know what is correct. The overall problem is the store manager herself. She not only micro-manages the employees; she belittles them and the employees can never do anything right, even when it was at her prior direction.

This location has lost many of the exceptional workers because of this manager and employees are baffled as to how she got this job and how she remains in a management position.

An investigation should be made so the truth will be known before all the great employees leave.

Very stressful environment to work for when she is there.

Love Hobby Lobby!!

Office Manager/Cards and Party Lead (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsGreat environment, great co-workers, excellent management, fast paced environment, excellent pay and benefits, becAuse the hiring process is very selective, only the best will be offered full time. This company is great I am so thankful they came to my area!

ConsCould take more than a year to get full time status. Relays are very demanding, sometimes the store doesn't have enough people to deal with the demand. constantly moving and condensing seasonal (but thats retail right?)

Retail is retail

Stockman (Current Employee)

ProsGuaranteed Sundays off. Full time benefits include:
    PPTO
    Paid vacations
    Holiday pay
    Generous Christmas bonus

ConsNo barcode scanners. Everything is manual on the registers.

i never imagined i would work at such a great company!

Buyer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Prosthis company gave me a chance when others would not. They have given me raises and bonuses every year that are a lot more than national average and, i didnt even know i got a bonus!
    i was able to move up from data entry to a buyers position without college experiance. (i was interviewed and they judged me for what kind of person i am and, gave me the job).
    when my kids are sick, they tell me to go home and take care of them and, i am still getting paid because , im salary.

Consbecause this is a large company there are issues with comunication between dept's within the company.
    they may do something that effects your job and not think to tell you about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep managing this company with the same goals and, leading by example. Remember to Listen to employees ideas and consider changes that could make your dept and, the company a better place to work.

If you have to work retail, work here!

Department Head (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, Sundays off, generous vacation/sick time, yearly bonuses, good insurance coverage, and no crazy hours during the holidays.

ConsNot much room for advancement, still using old-school technology, putting out Christmas in June, the occasional nasty customer, and you are constantly covered in glitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology needs to be advanced, and merchandise programs should be changed by region (i.e. cowboy decor really doe not sell in the midwest)

Poor or no training, terrible POS system, purposely understaffed.

Fabrics, Floral, Framing (Current Employee) Webster, NY

ProsGood pay per hour for retail, good benefits (if you qualify), decent hours even during the holidays.

ConsYou're pretty much thrown into the fray without training. I've worked at 2 stores in 2 different states (NY and GA) and that's been the case at both. The POS system is very outdated and cashiers are expected to memorize what department each product (of more than 10,000) belongs to. Incessant display changes. Shelving uses unfinished glass dividers; bad cuts from shelving are common. Consistently understaffed -- I routinely cover 3 to 4 departments on each shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need better, more thorough training upon hire, and for each department we are expected to cover on a routine basis. We need an increase in payroll hours so we can all do our jobs well, instead of frantically scurrying to complete another of the neverending product resets while simultaneously covering 3 departments. Framing is under a choke hold by the auditors at this point, and everyone (no exaggeration) is terrified when they're in town. Framing is a semi-skilled trade, and they're not compensated for their skill or their sales -- an increase in their wages and a commission will boost morale and incentive. In the busier stores, framing department leads are forced to work long unpaid hours to meet required deadlines for custom orders, which is illegal. For a company professing its higher ethics, I'm sorely disappointed. It really looks like the company is waving its Christian flag just to boost sales.

Great job for school kids

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdiscounts and seeing what comes in

ConsCorporate office doesn't really know or care how bad the managers of the stores treat their employees and it all starts with the district and division managers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on how to treat your employees! It is called RESPECT

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!