Hobby Lobby Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Decent Salary and closed on Sundays (in 70 reviews)

• The full time pay is really nice (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Your hours are always getting cut below the company minimum for full time (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

They take care of their employees with the pay.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay, off on Sundays. Only open til 8 pm

Cons

The managers are horrible. They will cut you back to 35 hours even if you stayed late earlier in the week so they can save payroll and get payroll bonuses for taking away your hours. They are also disrespectful and their main focus is looking good for corporate. Belittling employees and expecting things to get done which they don't give you time for. Don't stay here long. The worst is they don't get in trouble and the communication is horrible. One manager wants it done one way and another the opposite. They make the pay high so you don't leave cause of the bs. And during the holidays you may stay til midnight or later cleaning up after people. And have to be in at 830 the next morning.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people, not slaves. You tell them one thing and do another. Stop worrying about your payroll bonus since you make wayyyyy more then full time employees and give us the 40 hours we deserve. Don't ask us to stay late of you are just going to cut our hours later in the week. Be professional. Give us the time we need to get things done so we are not rushing to do it before a corporate visit. Listen to your employees and have store meetings once a month.

2. Assistance Manager

Current Employee - Assistance Manager in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Assistance Manager in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Hobby Lobby (Less than a year)

Pros

the people was great to work with

Cons

none everything was good

3. Graphic Designer

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for recently graduated students. Beautiful and modern offices. Very positive atmosphere.

Cons

Pay seems fair for designers, but not for Team Leaders, some make pretty close to the designers that they are above.

5. Great Seasonal Work

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Paradise Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Paradise Valley, AZ

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, varied work, always closed Sundays. Store hours during the holidays are the same as the rest of the year so there's no crazy late shifts. Good pay for retail and if you are hired as a regular employee (as opposed to seasonal) you get a Christmas bonus and they usually give raises every year.

Cons

The biggest con is that the company is behind the times in technology for inventory and ringing up sales. The only full time positions are as department heads (or management).

Advice to Management

Give employees more options to NOT have to be on the register. Not everyone is meant to be on a register. Continue to hold your standards and keep treating your employees well!

Department Head

Former Employee - Department Head in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Department Head in Canton, MI

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the co-workers were wonderful to work alongside, good wages and benefits.

Cons

"Hostile Takeover" of store by new management. Vacation and PPTO time are nice to have in theory, but difficult to get approved. No annual reviews for personal/professional growth, all paid exactly the same, as if we are the same. Employees are considered interchangeable and replaceable. No room for advancement, obviously.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, get to know them. Understand that their personal lives and struggles mean they are human, and working with them and showing compassion makes them more grateful, loyal and hard-working employees instead of angry, bitter and resentful. Stop playing "GOD" with their lives. The bottom line is obviously important, but your employees are your most valuable asset.

7. Great Company

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sunday's they're closed as a Christian company that's great. Pay for full time hourly and salaried managers are very competitive. They give salaried managers holidays, which most companies don't anymore. Guaranteed cash bonus at Christmas for full time and Co-Managers.

Cons

Management isn't on the same page at all levels, they all want something different when it comes to store setup and displays, can make it very hard to get a walk in with them. Payroll can be tight at times, but that's usually due to sales slowing down in mid winter.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. It's very frustrating to have your district manager tell you to do something one way, then when your regional manager comes in says it's not right and to change it, then your district manager comes back and says no change it back.

8. dept lead

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Great benefits!

Cons

Don't go into it unless u r a good worker! High expectations...that's why they have such a great company!

9. Customer Service Manager

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great environment, awesome coworkers, quality products. Ability to have fun and interact with the community. Definitely recommend

Cons

Public is overall uneducated yet opinionated about the company and feel free to share their feelings with staff. Holiday hours can become long

Advice to Management

None. Keep doing what your doing. The management at my particular store (#11) was great. Perfect? no, but neither was I.

10. Hobby Lobby Framer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Great people to work with, great customer interactions

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees

11. Good job, not a career

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Tulsa, OK

Pros

A chance to be creative, work with my hands, not take my work home, with minimal stress.

Cons

Some of the rules are antiquated or stupid.

Advice to Management

Allow for more employee input about day to day operations.

RSS Feed </> Embed