Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoy working here, for almost two years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my coworkers are so nice, I work with mostly older women, and most employees have been at this specific store for 5+ years. With an abundance of experienced employees it's easy to go up to almost anyone and ask a question about a product in her department or an alternative, that made it much easier for me when I started to learn about things throughout the store. Management is easy to talk to and isn't overly aggressive/condescending when a mistake is made. I have gotten a raise every year since working here, and there is a small holiday bonus that also increases the longer you work. The customers are mostly older people and the occasional college student (the state college is literally 5 minutes away). Most customers are pleasant and grateful to be helped in any way possible, I very rarely encounter an unruly customer. I feel like know my department (jewelry making/wearable art) and several other departments in my store very well, but I feel that it has a lot to do with my personality and eagerness to do well.

Cons

Being only part-time my hours have been cut, I'm averaging about 15 hours a week right now, but I know with Christmas just around the corner the hours will come flooding in. Most part-timers have been cut, because of that there are some nights there are several departments left uncovered and whoever is working has to rush to clean not only their department but another that hasn't had someone in it for at least 6 hours. Fewer workers also means less backup cashiers. Several times there is only one regular cashier and I'm the only backup. I end up spending 80-90% of my shift on my register, which means I don't get to work on tasks in my department. My store has a terrible theft problem, when put magnetic sensors on almost everything and actually have an armed security guard three to four days a week. I don't blame either of these problems as a company issue, simply what's happening at my store at this precise moment in time.

Hobby Lobby is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Russell, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Russell, KY

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hobby Lobby was a great place to work because they paid more than minimum wage to all employees, closed at 8 (usually get out by 8:30), and are closed on Sundays. They were very flexible to accommodate my school schedule. Best of all, Christmas starts in July there!

Cons

I worked a lot of Saturdays and it seemed like the employees who smoked took more breaks than non-smokers.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

casual retail environment, policies are adaptive to environment. Benefits and time off are similar to other companies. Pay rate for hourly employees is incredible and employment is selective because of that. Attitude is everything!

Cons

Leadership selection is dependent on the store, some people were not mean to lead. This is a common occurrence in every job setting.

Retail management should go through the same selection processes as any other field, choosing the right LEADER is imperative to store success. Leadership vs. management education.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Even if it were selling car parts I would love my Store!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Merced, CA

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

My co-worker all get along, we bring in snacks and share when we have extra or sometimes someone will buy snacks for everyone. 15% discount on top of the sale OR coupon price. Not open on Sundays. I agree with company morals and love how the company started with a loan and a dream. With it being a craft/hobby store we tend to get more calm customers, or the elderly who are cute. If I need help I know I can ask someone and they wont look down on me. They work with your schedule.

Cons

part timers don't get insurance and the hours usually stay under 25 per week.. No bar codes so we have to type in the prices and remember what is on sale every week (not all that hard actually).

Great place to work! Really enjoyed the atmosphere and managment worked great with my schedule. Positive experience!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Family environment and management was great to work with. Room for growth if willing to work hard and be a dedicated employee.

Cons

In my experience I did not have any cons. Everything was a very positive experience and would highly recommend.

Retail is retail

Current Employee - Stockman
    Current Employee - Stockman

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Guaranteed Sundays off. Full time benefits include:
    PPTO
    Paid vacations
    Holiday pay
    Generous Christmas bonus

Cons

No barcode scanners. Everything is manual on the registers.

If you have to work retail, work here!

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay, Sundays off, generous vacation/sick time, yearly bonuses, good insurance coverage, and no crazy hours during the holidays.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, still using old-school technology, putting out Christmas in June, the occasional nasty customer, and you are constantly covered in glitter.

Technology needs to be advanced, and merchandise programs should be changed by region (i.e. cowboy decor really doe not sell in the midwest)

i never imagined i would work at such a great company!

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Buyer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

this company gave me a chance when others would not. They have given me raises and bonuses every year that are a lot more than national average and, i didnt even know i got a bonus!
    i was able to move up from data entry to a buyers position without college experiance. (i was interviewed and they judged me for what kind of person i am and, gave me the job).
    when my kids are sick, they tell me to go home and take care of them and, i am still getting paid because , im salary.

Cons

because this is a large company there are issues with comunication between dept's within the company.
    they may do something that effects your job and not think to tell you about it.

Keep managing this company with the same goals and, leading by example. Remember to Listen to employees ideas and consider changes that could make your dept and, the company a better place to work.

Great company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company values, easy to get off for family events/reasons. Easy to embrace culture of their retail philosophy. Able to learn different jobs

Cons

Lacking technology when it comes to checking in stock items for customers, ordering process is a long and time consuming process. A lot of physical work.

There are very good people who are in an assistant manager role who should be made co managers vs always hiring from the outside first.

love my job

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

working with creative people who enjoy their job

Cons

wish we had scanners to make the check out run more efficiently

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!