Hobby Lobby

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

"Manager" just a title.

Former Employee - Store Co Manager in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Store Co Manager in Scranton, PA

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Not much, Store is closed on Sunday. That's about it.

Cons

If you are a retail manager who takes pride in your leadership skills than this is not the company you want to work for. Managers, Co Managers are just glorified stock persons. It is solely grunt labor from 8:00 until close. Daily workload is shifting seasonal gondolas, moving aisles almost daily, with no people or management skills needed. Truck day is a grueling physical disaster. As a manager first you unload a full trailer, by hand with nothing more than a hand truck. Then it's a 10 hour shift of unpacking and de-trashing freight. The rest of the week is spent putting out the freight and moving and condensing aisles. Then, you are asked to leave your family for up to 3 weeks and travel to a distant store that is broken, or work 21 days straight of 12 hour days to prepare for a corporate visit or a new store opening. Ridiculous. A very backwards company, no POS or inventory control system which leads to a very disorganized retail operation. Leaving this company was the best thing that happened to me. I now work for a retailer who values professionalism and I am thriving in my position. I do want to add that I had the misfortune to work with two other co managers that were the most unprofessional and negative people I have ever worked for in my long retail career, and the DM just looks the other way. I urge you not to join this company no matter what they offer you. You will be miserable.

Focus on what's important and realize the value in talent. It's not all about just maintaining a good looking store.

Not the Company they claim to be...

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Cullman, AL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Cullman, AL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only "pro" is that the merchandise is fun to work with - creative items / products.

Cons

Shortly after accepting the co-manager position, the promises in the recruitment talks were rescinded. Sundays off are a lie, as they require management to work to set the new ad that starts every Monday morning. The plan was to stay after close on Saturday at 8 pm to set the ad signage, which mean 1 or 2 am before completing (Sunday morning) but after working 8 am - 8 pm (12 hours management shift) who would want to stay that long. So, you came in Sunday to complete the set. The senior management was part of the "family" owners so there was an imperialistic style of management and some very "non - christian" values coming out of the mouths of these "leaders".

Worst company everrrr to work for.

Current Employee - Framer in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Framer in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED being a Framer as Fine Artist, it was right up my alley and I was excellent at it. It was fun, I loved my boss, she was the best Framer!

Cons

Eight years ago they paid new Framers...or so I was told $5.15 an hour, I found out they were paying other Framers who had been there for few years $4.25 an hour! Then minimum wage was raised to $7 something and while I just got a two dollar raise to $7.15 an hour....they refused to raise me two dollars more at that time after I'd worked my tail off to learn everything in that shop. They were telling people that they didn't give raises at all. My boss told me that you have to ask for a review and then ask for a raise, then they try to tell you that they only give .25. I finally had gotten the two dollars just be right there with the people who did NOTHING and admitted they did nothing because they had worked there years with no raises. Worthless company!!! I walked out. Christians my butt! AND THEY ONLY HIRE PART TIME EMPLOYEES, WE HAD FOUR FULL TIMERS IN THE WHOLE STORE!!! They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits.

Liars. Worst Management EVERRRR.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like someone else mentioned, they hire a lot of designers right out of college which is great. The department layout is cool.

Cons

They are quick to go to the chopping block. One mistake and suddenly your years of good standing mean nothing. It's extremely stressful when you feel like you're doing a great job one day and could be fired the next.

The hourly wages for designers and system for giving raises is awful. No negotiation, take it or leave it attitude. Some designers get paid as much as the warehouse workers. If you think you'll get a good raise by getting a promotion, think again. They spend thousands of dollars on poorly made, pre-purchased "batch" art and thousand-dollar meeting room chairs, instead of investing in their employees and utilizing their skills.

Some people in senior leadership would always park in fire lanes and handicap spots. It's illegal and a blatant disrespect for disabled/injured employees, and it gives the impression that the rules don't apply to senior leadership. If you want a front row spot every time you come to work, then just put your name on a parking spot.

Invest more in your designers and less in your furniture.

Bad!!!!!

Former Employee - Co Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many. Pay and benefits were ok and the people were nice. That was about all the good

Cons

You work a ton of hours. As a manager you will work at least 2 open to close a week.

Allow your salary manager to have a life

long hours and no family life

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

no balance life is work if your co manager or manager

wow! you stand up for huge issues as "Christians" but work us to death with out blinking a eye! maybe you just like the media attention but forgot we need a life......

Christian company....hahaha!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hourly people are some of the best I've had in thirty years of retail until the company dramatically changed in the last few years.

Cons

Open up communication. Stores are not allowed to call OKC without going through their DM. Work load is unbelievable and requires all salaried employees at store level to work 12 to 15 hour days six days per week. No work life balance for Managers and Co's. Corporate employees live in a different world while store employees are killing themselves and still can't be successful. Morale is dropping and managers quitting. Maybe company should track their turnover rate.

Stop lying to new recruits and public. If you are all about money at least admit it.

Co-manager

Former Employee - Co Manager
    Former Employee - Co Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent for the position but not for the hours they expect you to work. Love the products that they sell.

Cons

Work life balance stinks. And the company believes in family first but at store level it doesn't exist in salaried management. If you look at job postings they are always looking for co managers. Now I see why

Dig into how stores really operate. Work life bake isn't there with salaried associates.

It's a job but not a very good one

Current Employee - Co-Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job and the yearly sale ray isn't bad but what you actually make per hour you'd be better off hourly

Cons

Where to start, payroll is atrocious what they expect done with the $ they're willing to spend is next to impossible. The DM is impossible always says your behind everyone else and you need to catch up then find out your further along than everyone else in the district. Too much paperwork Working 65-70 hours a week for the pay just isn't worth it

Realize what your employees home life might actually be like

meh

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Owasso, OK
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Owasso, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good money for retail. Close at 8:00 pm and all day Sundays.

Cons

Management is poor. I would never consider this a Christian company because of the culture of lying and manipulation. Antiquated point of sale system, little to zero inventory control. The only company I know that encourages employees to confront shoplifters after last point of sale. Citizens arrests in parking lot were not uncommon. Neither was physical confrontation. I'm truly surprised no employee has been hurt.

Get a clue.