Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros:
  • "Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good pay, Sundays off, store closes at 8 so you get out earlier than other stores"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited full time positions- there seems to be a set number of"
    in 35 reviews
  • "My hours have been cut down to 33 hours yet you are hiring more part time employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just Don't.

Co-Manager (Current Employee)
Findlay, OH

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCan be a fun job depending on what store you work at. Decent Salary and closed on Sundays. Generally good employees.

ConsPoor upper management!! R.V.P., D.M. and Store Manager give different direction that conflict. . That is 33% odds of getting you're job done without conflict. D.M. has no concern for employees and at any level and often shifts blame to the wrong employees. This is a Christian owned company not a Christian operated company. To many injustices occurred during my tenure to list including personal unwarranted personal attack on employees, vendettas, and threats.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. They really won't listen.

Torture

Florida (Current Employee)
Panama City, FL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is higher then the normal, for now (with more states looking at raising their minimum wage this might not be Pro for much longer).

ConsHorrible hours , very poor communication, no support from HR, poor direction or often misdirection given, conflicting information between corporate managers, lack of positive feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between upper management before handing down directions, positive reinforcement vs. constant berating, realistic deadlines, ensure quality of personal life exists outside of the workplace.
Zig Ziglar: "That which is recognized and rewarded is repeated," is a truism. If employees get attention through the use of the negative, unfortunately, they will continue in that behavior. The good doctors point out that if employees receive positive reinforcement for behavior, they're likely to repeat those actions and that, "Employees are not primarily motivated by money. Money will get them to show up, but once they have checked in or reported for duty, they are more influenced by other elements in their environments."

If this keeps up I just don't see me working here much longer. At some point you have to determine when treatment over money becomes important.

The worst job I ever had!

Cashier (Former Employee)
Westmont, IL

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee Discount and the store is closed on Sundays

ConsPoor management.
Poorly staffed.
Having to key in all prices by hand. if something didn't have a price tag, it took forever to get a price check because so few people are working out on the floor.
Having to know what is on sale every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times! You have several hundred stores. Things need to be more automated!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a Christian based company at store level!!!

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
Morristown, TN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for less than a year

ProsDiscounts, closed Sundays, friendly customers

ConsFavorites, poor mgmt at store mgr level, no communication, lack of respect, no idea how to talk to people, schedules during holidays, lacking tech, no bereavement for mgmt, cussing within the store, lunch breaks, treatment of hourly employees

Advice to Senior ManagementInspect what you expect at the store level, keep values from corp at the store, train store mgr's how to speak to and treat employees fairly, have a bereavement policy for all employees (how can you be a Christian employer and not let your employees off as their loved one have returned to Our maker?)

Do not work for this company as a salaried manager

Co-Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for less than a year

ProsMost of the product is decent. The customers are gracious. The weekly sales. I did work with some very sweet employees.

ConsHaving Sunday's off is a joke, you have already worked 60-75 hours that week and are too tired to enjoy the day off. They expect you to work 2 shifts 7am-9:30pm, and 3 shifts 7am-6pm. The job is physically demanding, which is fine if you didn't have to work such long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am writing this review to help current and future managers and employees for this company. There is no company culture. No annual reviews. HR is non-existent. I worked with a co-manager that consistently made his female employees cry, he was able to get away with all of his ego antics. 401k doesn't go in affect until one year. Only one week of vacation after first year of employment. And the inhumane hours expected from the salaried managers....these poor people should have a life outside of work. I have worked as a District Manager for another Retail Chain, as well as store manager for a few other major retail chains and I never had to work so hard for so little money.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Idiot Store Manager and Full Time Hiring Of Incompetents

Department Head (Former Employee)
Naples, FL

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

ProsIf Wal-Mart Isn't Hiring and you're starving, you might get a few dollars for your ride to apply for food stamps.

ConsUnbelievable. I opened the store, worked like a dog and asked to be in the Frame Shop. I was assigned there with two young girls (under 22) who were unemployed and working at a gas station respectively. The third associate was an older guy ( 55+) who gave me no respect. I asked to be the Department Head and was told by the Store Manager that he had someone else in mind and moved me out to the Crafts Department. He sure did have someone else in mind, I thought it was the older guy but it was his son's 23 yo BF - who I replaced in Crafts. His last and only job was moving furniture, not managing anyone, just day labor for cash after the Navy refused to enlist him for being obese.

I worked my tail off and was given the job of ordering for the Craft's Dep't which usually means you would become the Department Head and Full Time employee with benefits. I had an emergency and missed a few hours of work to find when I returned the next day I was demoted to sweeping floors. The Department Head of Crafts was given to a Venezuelan (I am Hispanic) who can barely speak or write English.

Yesterday I went by the Naples Fl Hobby Lobby store where I worked and into the lunchroom where the Department Heads and Full Times are listed. Over 60% were Hispanics all but one under 35 yoa. The Linens Head was a young Hispanic girl who I was told barely speaks at all and does not know how many inches in a foot. I am serious she can't measure a foot of linen much less manage a crew. The older guy in the frame department is working only 9 hours a week. Too old I guess for the "Christian" company.

Looking back, I got lucky. The Store Manager is hated by everyone, he cuts people hours after they have gotten to work including spinning them around and sending them home as soon as they get there. Schedules mean nothing and he has his Department Head in Frames working 15-20 unpaid hours per week.Off season is coming and everyone will bite the pay bullet. The Store Manager has prided himself in telling everyone how he ran Kroger's and Winn Dixie's...with three people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, you know exactly what you are doing and why.

Cashier

Department Head/Cashier (Former Employee)
Toledo, OH

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay is good for individuals seeking extra income or college students.

ConsIt can be very stressful at times such as standing on your feet for hours and during holidays season.

Horrible just horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobby Lobby as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe pay is above minimum wage but that is about it for the pros.

ConsThey want you to be perfect, so if you are interested in working for this company, you need to cross your T's and dot your I's. One slight mistake and they let you go.

Then all the items that are being sold are made of cheap materials and sold for a very high price.

They say they are Christian but they force their employees to work on a Sunday just so the store can be set-up and opened on time. Don't you think God would provide the necessary help to those who keep Sunday's holy by not telling their employees to come in and work so we can get the store setup.

For me management was very unapproachable or at least that is how I found them at the store I worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow that no one is perfect except only God. The store does not have to be spotless and perfect on grand opening. Dust gathers everyday, do not work your employees like slaves.

Crush any of your hopes and dreams of a personal life and better future for yourself by working here!

Department Head (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOff Sundays, high pay, benefits are ok

ConsDM is an unreasonable, arrogant, power hungry jerk. Full-time employees are expected to meet unreasonable demands and stick to schedules that leave any kind of personal life behind. Think you are going to be able to work here full-time and enjoy your children's school events? Or maybe you need a day off during the week because you have an important life event unrelated to Hobby Lobby you need to routinely take care of. The answer is NO. NO you can not have that day off (even though you can work every other day of the week). Having that kind of time you need off "interferes with the daily operations of the store and creates unfair scheduling situations", even though PLENTY of other people can most certainly cover the shift willingly. Don't even think about starting full-time and then changing your personal life to include one of these situations either (even though again, it may not in any way interfere with your duties or anyone else's and your store manager is fine with it) because you may not have full-time status in the near future. To the DMs, you obviously can not be their slave, I mean employee..., if you have hopes, dreams, and family outside of this place!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to manage my personal life. Focus more on the good people are doing. Think of your employees as human beings. We do not like being treated like trash and harassed about our job status because we might have some life changing experiences that affect our schedules.

AVOID IF HUMANLY POSSIBLE

Co-Manager (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 10 years

ProsClosed on Sunday is the only plus I can possibly think of!

ConsThey literally change their minds from one day to another - never giving stores enough help to run their stores - their supervisors get their jobs getting the work done by using family members off the clock and only paying them when they have enough labor dollars left if they don't it goes as free help then hold others accountable to the level achieved by cheating wow. They own you form thanksgiving until after inventory - after 6-8 weeks of 70-80 hrs they will throw you a bone wait for it wow take a four day weekend you give me 30 hours a week for 8 weeks and I give you 16 hours back WOW!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn and know what your higher level people are truly doing and saying to store management be fair most will not put down the truth they would get fired so they lie and do as told. Stop allowing the money to rule you rather then what you used to use your religious beliefs.

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobby Lobby reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hobby Lobby CEO David Green. All 317 reviews posted anonymously by Hobby Lobby employees.