Hobby Lobby Reviews

Reset
2.9
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Decent Salary and closed on Sundays (in 70 reviews)

• The full time pay is really nice (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Your hours are always getting cut below the company minimum for full time (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

1. Terrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Upland, CA

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good managers, nice environment.

Cons

No birth control coverage. Patriotic enviroment. Can't live off of pay.

Advice to Management

Give out birth control

2. Awful!

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job that pays some amount of money. That's the only positive I can think of.

Cons

Horrible company. You have to work every Friday b/c it's truck unloading day (even though they don't need everyone!). When I asked about possibly getting a Friday afternoon off occasionally so I could go to religious services (I'm Jewish), I was told that it wasn't even an option. This is the same company that is closed on Sundays to allow their employees time to worship. The owner respects and upholds HIS religious beliefs, just not anyone else's.

They also keep everyone at PT status even if you work FT hours so they won't have to give you benefits and so they won't have to pay you the $14/hr rate that they advertise so prominently to get people to apply to work there. For a bunch of holier-than-thou Christians, they're pretty shady.

Advice to Management

Separate business from personal. A COMPANY IS NOT A PERSON!! Just b/c YOU believe something, doesn't mean you have a right to enforce those beliefs on your employees.

Injustice at its worste

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

there are no pros here

Cons

Unprofessional, ice age technology, unethical, discrimination and harassment on all levels, race, religion( yes, against Christians) gender, disability etc.
    Managers are worked like dogs 6 days a week, 14 to 20 hours a day regularly to the point of mentally and physically ill. I think they do it so you won't have time or energy to get out of these hellholes. This is not rare or new. search the web it's alall overl

Advice to Management

No longer a supporter mr green. You will be held responsible as the Christian you claim to be for these lives, some that have already been lost. Are you a real Christian with Christ like heart? If so step up and do something..

No work/life balance

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Off on (most) Sundays, decent pay considering it is a retail job, most of the store managers and other full-time employees are kind, hard workers.

Cons

Well, the title pretty much says it all. If you are full-time, expect to work 12+ hour days on freight days, weekends, during inventory, and during the holiday season (which at Hobby Lobby is about 6 months out of the year). If you are a department head, you are expected to get all freight put out in 24 hours, which is near impossible because you are constantly either helping customers or on the register. You are also expected to keep your area straightened, which is also near impossible because a) you are constantly on the register, and b) the majority of Hobby Lobby customers trash the store and don't give a second thought as to what their actions do to the employees who work there. Planograms are assigned completion times based on the raw amount of time it takes to set the product and fixtures, and does not take into account the time it takes for putting out freight, ordering, or, you guessed it, on the register. Yet when something does not get done on time, it is the department head's fault, and usually ends in a write-up. Store managers don't have it any better, because if things do not get done in their store, the DM is breathing down their neck. Plus, they have to work open-close shifts twice a week every week, more days per week during the holiday season. By the time I left, the closing shift would stay at the store until 12-1AM on a regular basis doing recovery, putting out freight, or doing whatever else that had a deadline for that day that couldn't get done during the day. Store managers cannot hire more people to get tasks done in a timely manner, because of how strict the company is with payroll. Your life becomes the store, with very little time left for family.

Advice to Management

Do not enforce the CEO's Christian work ethic at the store level. Set reasonable time limits on tasks. Allow enough payroll for the store managers to hire more cashiers, so the department heads can do their job, not their job plus the cashiers' job.

store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none ..behind the times. poorly managed from home office down. very disconnected, claim to be christian not so. very two faced

Cons

disconnect from field to home office, treat people very badly. work an average of 65 hours a week no pay role

Advice to Management

listen

work you like a Dog

Former Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hobby Lobby (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, hard working crew, and great customers. Good bonus structure that is achievable if you are paying attention.

Cons

Work week never ends. 12 to 14 hour days. Maybe get your day off, but not if you are behind. You are always behind. Micromanaged, with no assistance or useful direction. Cut hours but get more done. Customers are an interruption to the task, not the goal. Pay for hourly crew is good but hours are cut to make up for it. Makes for a very stressful environment.

cut

Advice to Management

Treat your employees and management like human beings. If CEO knows how the people are treated, shame on him. If not, GO FIND OUT.

8. All positions

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Very flexible with time off.

Cons

I can't see where the company is so great to their employees. As a part timer, I find myself doing the work of a full timer. Why is it part timers have to finish up what the full timers don't finish? Isn't that why they get paid over $16 for? Were they not given the the position because you are a full timer that you are capable of finishing with your projects on time? And yet the part timers have to finish their projects and yet we get our hours cut? How is that fair? That is how Hobby Lobby takes care of their employees? I have seen many full timers taking advantage if their position, I have seen management not approach them to discuss their behavior or not taking their job seriously, I have seen full timers being written numerous times and they still have their jobs. Really? What's wrong with that picture? And the bonus, for part timers, disgraceful for what we have to put up with. The company needs to look at the employees more, along with management. They are keeping payroll down so they can get a bonus check at each month. And it's the part timers that suffer all around.

No work life balance. Unrealistic expectations.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closed Sundays....still work as a salary person though. Some of the hardest working hourly employees Ive known.

Cons

Extreme pressure on a daily basis to complete project memos, seasonal push and action memos at an unbelievable level. Deception to public that they are a Christian and family based company which is totally false. Cant keep Comanagers so Store Managers required to work six days per week for however long the hiring takes. I know some that have gone as long as eight months. Corporate out of touch with stores but stores not allowed to even call corporate. Work processes poorly organized requiring multiple moves, 6 or 7, to complete not unusual. Summary....just like any other big retailer except lower pay and dishonest.

Advice to Management

Really talk to your SMs. Be aware that overloading people does not create long term loyalty and positive cultures. When people quit they do tell others why.

Absolute Nightmare- RUN!

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Westmont, IL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Sundays off, stores close at 8

Cons

Managers are apparently trained by Satan. That's my only explanation for how awful they are, and it goes all the way to the top.

Advice to Management

The Greens, who claim to be Christian, would do well to try an "Undercover Boss" type thing, and see what its really like to work in their stores

Nazi Concentration Camp

Former Employee - Order Puller
    Former Employee - Order Puller

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

One of the best paying jobs for an entry level position of any company in Oklahoma. Decent hours available (at certain times of year)

Cons

Nothing personable about the employers at this company. I saw many, many people come and go in my three months. They had no problem letting go of people who had worked there for 10 years + and there is no where better to move. I would be running down the aisles in my job trying to make my quota and they would still tell me it wasn't fast enough. If you forget your badge boom. unexcused absence. (you get four in the first three months) If you are in a car accident. bang. unexcused absence. First day? Someone tells you to go to the wrong place? Unexcused. The only excusable tardiness is a doctors note. They would rather you lie to them and go to the doctor than be honest. Extremely tough work environment but okay as you get paid so much. As long as you can handle being told to be perfect every day. Also I have heard extremely dark rumors about this company posing as Christian. While I was there there was a bomb threat and the year before Anthrax WAS found in the warehouse. I actually did meet the requirements to stay employed but I filed a work injury complaint and I fully believe this is why I was let go.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like important assets instead of nobodies. Don't be as crazy stringent as you are regarding matters that people can not always control

RSS Feed </> Embed