Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros:
  • "Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays"
    in 50 reviews
  • "If you can get full time the pay is good however doesn't compensate for cons"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "hire full time rather than PT in long run cheaper over all"
    in 38 reviews
  • "This requires the Co-Managers to cover down and work long hours"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Opening new store -

All Around Store Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood full-time wage if you can get full-time ($15.00+).

ConsBuilt and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time. Paid "part time" wage of $9.50 per hour. Did everything I was asked - worked 10-12 hour days including Sundays to help them open the store on time. Very few people were allowed to stay full-time - less than 10 out of over 60. Most workers were let go. Most people that were hired were part time to keep wages and benefits low.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery disappointed in the "Christian" company. If you had potential to work your way up into management you were not hired.

My healthcare decisions are not my company's business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThere is absolutely nothing good about this company. Nothing at all. This is a company, not a church. They need to act like it.

ConsIf you work for this company, you are working for a bigoted CEO who thinks it is up to him to "save" you with his religion. My healthcare decisions are none of his business. Period. End of story.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your religion off my body.

Pretend to be something their not!!

ProsGood hours and off every Sunday

ConsLack of coverage and recognition from upper management. Also a high turnover rate in regular associates and management

Advice to Senior ManagementPto policy, recognition

PPTO
    Paid vacations
    Holiday pay
    Generous Christmas bonus

ConsNo barcode scanners. Everything is manual on the registers.

Dont let the recruiters fool you!

Co-Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay for FT and PT associates, additional discount on top of sale prices in store, truly friendly employees who really work hard in there respective departments

ConsWorkload for co manager is far more than what can be met in addition to doing "manager" duties of coming to registers to approve simple returns, checks, and other nuances that every other retailer has taken the manager approval requirement away years ago. The workload across the entire store is difficult for the entire team to keep up on and it negatively affects the morale of the team. The turnover for Co Managers is extremely high for this company and I now see why. Store Managers abuse the co managers(at least mine did and I heard the same from several others), they dump everything on them and expect them to work insane amounts of hours. If you have a family you wont see them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReality check on modern advancements in the world of retail. Having associates check item by item 1 to 2 times per week to order the merchandise for the store is too time consuming and labor intensive. The investment into a modern POS system would pay for itself in labor savings in no time! Additionally upper management has NO IDEA what is truly happening in the stores. The workload is far too much for the store to keep up and maintain the high standards that Hobby Lobby wants to maintain. I am all about keeping high standard stores much like target does, but the manpower does not meet that expectation on top of all the other things that corporate is dropping down on the stores. Give under cover boss a try in a few stores and see what its really like on the sales floor!

Love Hobby Lobby!!

Office Manager/Cards and Party Lead (Current Employee)
    Hagerstown, MD

ProsGreat environment, great co-workers, excellent management, fast paced environment, excellent pay and benefits, becAuse the hiring process is very selective, only the best will be offered full time. This company is great I am so thankful they came to my area!

ConsCould take more than a year to get full time status. Relays are very demanding, sometimes the store doesn't have enough people to deal with the demand. constantly moving and condensing seasonal (but thats retail right?)

If you have to work retail, work here!

Department Head (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, Sundays off, generous vacation/sick time, yearly bonuses, good insurance coverage, and no crazy hours during the holidays.

ConsNot much room for advancement, still using old-school technology, putting out Christmas in June, the occasional nasty customer, and you are constantly covered in glitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology needs to be advanced, and merchandise programs should be changed by region (i.e. cowboy decor really doe not sell in the midwest)

i never imagined i would work at such a great company!

Buyer (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

Prosthis company gave me a chance when others would not. They have given me raises and bonuses every year that are a lot more than national average and, i didnt even know i got a bonus!
    i was able to move up from data entry to a buyers position without college experiance. (i was interviewed and they judged me for what kind of person i am and, gave me the job).
    when my kids are sick, they tell me to go home and take care of them and, i am still getting paid because , im salary.

Consbecause this is a large company there are issues with comunication between dept's within the company.
    they may do something that effects your job and not think to tell you about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep managing this company with the same goals and, leading by example. Remember to Listen to employees ideas and consider changes that could make your dept and, the company a better place to work.

Poor or no training, terrible POS system, purposely understaffed.

Fabrics, Floral, Framing (Current Employee)
    Webster, NY

ProsGood pay per hour for retail, good benefits (if you qualify), decent hours even during the holidays.

ConsYou're pretty much thrown into the fray without training. I've worked at 2 stores in 2 different states (NY and GA) and that's been the case at both. The POS system is very outdated and cashiers are expected to memorize what department each product (of more than 10,000) belongs to. Incessant display changes. Shelving uses unfinished glass dividers; bad cuts from shelving are common. Consistently understaffed -- I routinely cover 3 to 4 departments on each shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need better, more thorough training upon hire, and for each department we are expected to cover on a routine basis. We need an increase in payroll hours so we can all do our jobs well, instead of frantically scurrying to complete another of the neverending product resets while simultaneously covering 3 departments. Framing is under a choke hold by the auditors at this point, and everyone (no exaggeration) is terrified when they're in town. Framing is a semi-skilled trade, and they're not compensated for their skill or their sales -- an increase in their wages and a commission will boost morale and incentive. In the busier stores, framing department leads are forced to work long unpaid hours to meet required deadlines for custom orders, which is illegal. For a company professing its higher ethics, I'm sorely disappointed. It really looks like the company is waving its Christian flag just to boost sales.

Bi Polar Work Environment

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsOne of the best things about this company is their flexibility in working around my college schedule.

ConsWere very inconsiderate when time was needed off for family emergencies, or sick leave. The managers are over worked and take it out on the employees. There are little to no leadership opportunities, chances for promotion or personal growth.

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobby Lobby reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hobby Lobby CEO David Green. All 358 reviews posted anonymously by Hobby Lobby employees.