Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
2.5

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

not what you would expect

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good pay and bonuses after a year~ personal time and vacation for full time employees, but the management has their view of what is considered personal time.

Cons

Full time means 35 hours, never enough help, demanding management. Never enough employees scheduled so the customers can't ever find somebody to help them.

uppers management needs to take a look at how management treats all employees.

Former Employee - Frame Shop Manager  in  Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Frame Shop Manager in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work-life balance, good pay and yearly christmas bonus

Cons

lots of drama like high school, no opportunity for advancements and get treated like a dog

Listen to employees

was a good company

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits, hours for retail not bad,closed on sunday, decent pay in retail

Cons

after over fifteen years with this company i have watched it take a downward fall, they care less about the employees and more about profit, they raise the wages and then want more done with less people. they want the store to look like Macy's on a Walmart budget, there are never enough people on the floor to cover and finish tasks, and the ones that are there are on a register because there are never enough cashiers, how can you expect to do 30,000 to 40,000 in sales a day with one or two cashiers? it used to be a great place with a family atmosphere, now everyone is miserable :(

corporate needs to get a handle on the RVP'S and take care of the stores it has instead of trying to outdo itself on how many new stores they can open, David Green should REALLY look at whats going on in his company, its not what it used to be :(

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had high hopes when I started but then started to realize how foolish that was in the first couple of weeks.

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is better than most retail positions. They claim to be Christian & family oriented, which was what really made me want to work for them. They're closed on Sundays. Employee discounts even on already discounted items. Flexible hours, as long as you plan on staying part time.

Cons

Favoritism and hypocrisy run rampant and unchecked. The guilty ones, and there are many, don't even attempt to hide it. Lots of family members and friends work there together and any criticism in any form, innocent or intentional, is met with retaliation but can rarely be proven. They wait until an hour before a DM or the higher ups are going to get there to cause panic and chaos, making everyone stop working on their truck freight so they can run around like headless chickens getting the store in the shape it should've already been in. Then we go back to working our truck, without making any messes, but still expected to be quick about it and it turns into a 12-13 hour day with only one 30 minute lunch and one 15 minute break because we have to get the whole truck processed and everything put away, zoned, and recovered before we can go home. To get veiled threats on a daily basis is normal there. Public humiliation? You bet! It's like high school all over again, with the same drama and cutthroat back stabbing, even to the point of getting one employee to befriend another employee on Facebook just to spy and share info. And, Lord help you if you get injured on the job because not many at Hobby Lobby will, not even to offer prayers. The injured are treated like gold diggers, and told they can't be used at all if they can't do the job they were hired for. Only full time employees and managers get prayers for sickness or a death in the family, birthday cakes and cards, bridal and baby showers, etc., but part time employees are expected to contribute. There's a lot of negative influence there, but hardly any positive unless, of course, you're family or friend to someone important in there. I used to be known for my optimism but in almost 2 years time, they managed to zap it right out of me. That's why I left and it's why I don't plan on going back in there, to work or to shop.

To the upper management that only "visit" the stores in their district periodically; get more involved with employees and the treatment of them by your underlings. Pay more attention to how you're perceived by the employees that are taught to fear you. Positive influence will yield much more positive results. Obtain an open door policy and an anti-retaliation policy and get a better, more accessible, HR dept because it's only a matter of time before you're smacked with a law suit, after all the recent legal PR. Vet your lower management better because there's one there now that's nothing more than a little school yard bully that truly deserves a boot to the backside.

Can literally suck the life right out of you!

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Store closes at 8 daily (actually stays open until 9 on Black Friday & the following day); closed on Sundays; good pay; offers insurance.

Cons

Our store's air conditioning unit totally sucks! It is extremely warm in there, and we are still having to wear the vest or those AWFUL shirts!! Why can't someone come up with a Hobby Lobby t-shirt??? Seems simple enough. Not much chance for moving up within the store. Dept managers are given too many tasks to accomplish on a daily basis. Certain employees in my store are "privileged", in that they rarely have to ring on a register, don't have to close as often as others, and seem to do what they want! Although we are given vacation time, we are not allowed to use it Oct - Jan, nor can we put in for any personal paid time off during that time. Weekly scheduled are not posted until the Friday beforehand...doesn't leave you much of an opportunity to schedule doctor's appointments, etc. We may not have much of a life, but we do have one!

How about some of you Oklahoma folks coming into the stores and actually talk to department managers and part-timers. Ask them, on a store-by-store basis, how things are going in that store. I am sure they might just be shocked as to what actually goes on!!

A little company inside of a big company

Former Employee - Store Set Supervisor  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Store Set Supervisor in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a great place to work. I started with them as a part-time cashier and worked my way all the way up to co-manager position where I ran my store pretty much because of an incompetent manager. they really take care of hourly employees with a good pay rate, insurance and every other weekend off. The way they open new stores is a really cool process too that brings jobs to the community. ive opened 30-40 stores for the company and took part in almost all stores built in florida. Great DMs in Florida, if you have the option on where to go id work for Nick Hiller.

Cons

not much of a work life balance because being salary you sometimes have to work every weekend. The pay for salary managers is also terrible for how much work youre expected to put in. For being a Christian based company with a very black and white attitude theres a lot of grey area in the way they do things. Most co's that come in from other big box retailers are terrible and have horrible work ethic. Growing to fast for their own good

I worked all over the country opening stores for the company.. Ray Baker was the best man to ever work for. Also my Dm in florida Nick Hiller was my favorite boss ive ever had. Also Lee in the Washington area was great as well. I think that recruiting needs to do a better job with the people that they bring into the company. The lady they put in my store as a Co is the reason im no longer with the company

Very nice store.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I love my position in Custom Framing. Working with customers in this department is very rewarding.

Cons

The store can get very, very messy, mostly because of college students. This makes recovery at night long and arduous.

Please train management in how to manage poor/ineffective employees. We have a lot of unchecked ineffectiveness that gets put onto other employees. No performance evaluations and all employees get paid the same.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Decent starting salary for comparable jobs in this area: $9/hr for part-time, $14/hr for full-time. (2013)
    Pleasant work environment. Most employees friendly and considerate of others.
    Customer service is the highest priority. Monthly training videos reinforced skills.
    Store kept neat and organized.
    Store closed on Sundays.

Cons

The work schedule was posted at the last minute, making it difficult to plan for family/friend time or to make appointments. There was no method for scheduling holidays either. Employees only knew 2-7 days in advance whether or not they would work on a certain Holiday.
    No extra compensation for extra responsibilities (such as managing a department or assistant store manager), or for years of experience. Employees made the same wages whether they worked there 2 weeks or 20 years.
    Part-time employees are required to work every Saturday (no exceptions).
    Full-time employees are required to work every other Saturday.

Create a plan for Holiday work schedules: alternate who works or have a Holiday sign-up sheet for the whole year. Employees should know well in advance for planning family time, travel, etc.
    Extra incentives for a job well done would be a great motivator; additional Saturday off, more pay, etc.

Alright needs work.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Off on Sunday, Great place for creative people, frendly co-workers. very fast pace.

Cons

only promotes from the outside. co-workers only care about there departments. We are suppose to have 24 hours to work freight. We really only have one day. Manager is very miniplitve, and likes to harass. work schederal is put out on Friday or saturday.

Start promoting from within. concider your emploiees, put out schedural sooner.

The only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent working conditions, Clean warehouse with newer equipment, Medical facility on site open to employees at no cost. Processes are set and easy to execute

Cons

There is a small amount of "good old boy" management structure but it is slowly being weeded out. Expect to work long hours and deal with large amounts of employees

Institute three 8 hour shifts instead of trying to work 2 shift 10-11 hours a day plus Saturday. More structure for managers is needed. Decide on what is needed for advancement and let people know expectations.

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!