Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
2.6

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 66 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • the only way to make more money within the company is to become full time (in 46 reviews)

• Part-time employees are required to work every Saturday (no exceptions) (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright needs work.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Off on Sunday, Great place for creative people, frendly co-workers. very fast pace.

Cons

only promotes from the outside. co-workers only care about there departments. We are suppose to have 24 hours to work freight. We really only have one day. Manager is very miniplitve, and likes to harass. work schederal is put out on Friday or saturday.

Start promoting from within. concider your emploiees, put out schedural sooner.

The only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent working conditions, Clean warehouse with newer equipment, Medical facility on site open to employees at no cost. Processes are set and easy to execute

Cons

There is a small amount of "good old boy" management structure but it is slowly being weeded out. Expect to work long hours and deal with large amounts of employees

Institute three 8 hour shifts instead of trying to work 2 shift 10-11 hours a day plus Saturday. More structure for managers is needed. Decide on what is needed for advancement and let people know expectations.

A very draining experience

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They suck you in with good pay, benefits, holiday bonuses and Sundays off. I left with plenty of experience to put on a resume.

Cons

Due to increasing pay for full-timers, part-time employee hours were cut to one or two days a week. Department heads were left to pick up the slack; running our own departments, setting seasonal merchandise, helping customers, and running a register all at once in a busy store. Customers complained on a regular basis, were unable to read signs, and left piles of merchandise and garbage . Management expected miracles, but the stock room ended up with seasonal stock piled, literally, floor to ceiling. Outside help was needed, and both manager and co-manager quit soon after. Company "values" are superficial, essentially limited to playing Christian soft jazz music and cutting off the informative tags of expensive handmade Indian blankets because of the word "gods". Most decor items come from China or India, and are poor quality. Christmas decor started to be set in June, and by the time the holidays came around employees were left feeling disenchanted, albeit sparkly with glitter. During monthly stock tests, we were reprimanded when a customer bought all of a certain item. Some employees worked 12-13 hours on truck days; all freight had to be put up, and sometimes a last minute decision would arise to complete a reset or markdown.

Get in touch with your employees, realize when they are being overworked. Stop sending all seasonal stock at once when department resets are still being sent out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not what you would expect

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good pay and bonuses after a year~ personal time and vacation for full time employees, but the management has their view of what is considered personal time.

Cons

Full time means 35 hours, never enough help, demanding management. Never enough employees scheduled so the customers can't ever find somebody to help them.

Very good place to work with friendly co-workers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy working with people and customer service. This is a great place to be. The pay is good and overall the customer and co-workers are very nice!

Cons

Minimal training before going on your own

Additional time off per month is suggested. Also, management should encourage people to take their PTO in order for them to rejuvenated and not get burned out so easily.

Possibilities are there

Current Employee - Stockman
    Current Employee - Stockman

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment and easy to get a long with co-workers. Customers are welcoming and usually easy to please. There is perks being Full-time or above once you can get into the company.

Cons

Massive pay cut to what I am use to and looks hard to get a raise unless someone is fired or leaves.

Part-time people able to receive promotions and benefits like Full-time employees.

Department Head

Current Employee - Department Head  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Department Head in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than a year

Pros

Closed Sundays. Christian values. All holidays OFF!

Cons

Schedule Not posted until Friday (sometimes Saturday) for the following week!

It's a job but not a very good one

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a job and the yearly sale ray isn't bad but what you actually make per hour you'd be better off hourly

Cons

Where to start, payroll is atrocious what they expect done with the $ they're willing to spend is next to impossible. The DM is impossible always says your behind everyone else and you need to catch up then find out your further along than everyone else in the district. Too much paperwork Working 65-70 hours a week for the pay just isn't worth it

Realize what your employees home life might actually be like

meh

Former Employee - SALES CLERK  in  Owasso, OK
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Owasso, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good money for retail. Close at 8:00 pm and all day Sundays.

Cons

Management is poor. I would never consider this a Christian company because of the culture of lying and manipulation. Antiquated point of sale system, little to zero inventory control. The only company I know that encourages employees to confront shoplifters after last point of sale. Citizens arrests in parking lot were not uncommon. Neither was physical confrontation. I'm truly surprised no employee has been hurt.

Get a clue.

Most people that work there are VERY unhappy, they do not treat their employees fairly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay and a ok job to get experience and move on.

Cons

Have to work every holiday in Transportation. Sundays are part of a normal routine for Transportation employees. I can't believe they are a "Christian Company". I never met such rude people.

Get a spine. Transportation manager has no spine. No clue.

Hobby Lobby Photos

Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.
Entrance to the Hobby Lobby located in Foothills Ranch, CA
Furniture/Floral Display
Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.

+ Add Photo

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!