Hobby Lobby

Updated January 22, 2015
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

"Management" is corrupt and UN-Christian.

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was ok for the first year or so.

Cons

Constant rule and policy changes which are instigated for the sole purpose of gypping people out of more of their hard earned money. The focus should be upon helping people with their artistic and creative projects, NOT taking them for all the cash they can squeeze out of them and giving them cheap junk from China made by slave labor. So many people are under the false impression that Hobby Lobby is some sort of Christian institution, but the reality of the situation is completely different.

Focus on people and of course upon The One True God. So-called "managers" at Hobby Lobby are not trained to manage people or to honestly deal with customers. They are really just glorified stock boys who care only for the money, "The Almighty Dollar". They routinely short people hours when scheduling, so that their pay checks suffer for it, and rule over everyone with threats and accusations. True management would be PROactive, and not so reactive. They invariably drive off every single employee that is knowledgeable and creative as a result. This in turn directly affects customers who may have come to rely upon a particular employee's knowledge of crafts, sewing, painting, framing, etc. In my case, when I left, it cost them probably 30 or 40 customers that relied on me for answers and my skills.

Very Unprofessional.

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and good co-workers. Very well structured and learned a lot in my time as a Co-Manager. Having Sundays off was nice.

Cons

Was terminated from my job because my Cancer treatment took too long. Didn't even have the decency to have my supervisor call me. Sent a certified letter that I received 10 days after I was terminated. Held on to my position for 8 months and terminated me two weeks before I was due to come back. Conveniently about 10 days before bonuses were paid.

Maybe it would be more professional to have a supervisor call or perhaps the human resource office to explain my termination before you mail a certified letter.

Excellent company to work for and shop. Christian company valuing people.

Former Employee - Special Hire Temporary Laborer in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Special Hire Temporary Laborer in High Point, NC

I worked at Hobby Lobby as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Served as a Special hire temporary laborer to move store in High Point to new location.
    All duties were Pros and their efficiency and organization notable.
    The job was a massive positive effort in teamwork with focus on respecting others.
    Built a variety of new store product displays, shelving and racks
    Packed all merchandise from existing store for transport to new location
    Unpacked merchandise and set up displays in new store
    Breakdown displays from old store for materials to be warehoused
    Provide customer service as needed while working in new store

Cons

Understandably not enough full-time positions. I need full-time employment.

Keep up the good work and service.

Decent workplace, Sundays off were a plus.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Sundays off
    Never too difficult to take off work as needed
    Very laid back management staff; frequent breaks when there was downtime.

Cons

Uber religious organization
    Working there during the heat of the Hobby Lobby Supreme Court case made me very nervous management would firer me for my beliefs
    Low pay

Good company to work for with fair wages and equal opportunities

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time

Pros

Holiday bonuses for all employees, regular pay increases for all employees, always off on Sundays and store closes at 8 pm, discount on store products

Cons

You are expected to work long hours on your feet which is to be expected in any retail job. Managers often work very long hours Monday-Saturday.

Decent entry level retail, no room for growth

Former Employee - Floor Associate in Glens Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Floor Associate in Glens Falls, NY

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Employees are given a decent starting wage at $10 an hour for full time. The store is well-organized and there is never overstock cluttering the warehouse--either the store has it or it doesn't.

Cons

There are no bar codes and there's no method to check prices or sales on the registers. At a new store, the promise of promotion to department head went unfulfilled for months, even after the payroll should have been freed when numerous employees left. Expect to constantly be pushed to accomplish the work of two or three people and then some with no extra compensation.

Upgrade the registers to POS systems. Doing so will decrease store loss through cashier error and sale confusion and allow more hours for underemployed and overworked staff.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Higher pay rate than most, if not all, retail jobs

The work is not terribly difficult

Cons

Company as a whole needs to catch up in the tech world

LEADERSHIP

IT, Great company

Former Employee - Hardware Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Hardware Support in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Good supervisors and vision. Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

It's still a job. You have to follow your schedule, work late, and be on call.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good starting off pay. Closed on Sundays, so that is a major pro for me. My management is good to the employees.

Cons

You don't get all the hours that you can actually work. It is retail, so there is alot of bending and lifting.

Give more hours.

Far from being a Christian company

Current Employee - Department Head in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Head in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are willing to sell your sole to the devil, you will fit right in...

Cons

I would have to say that if being a Christian is the way that they portray themselves, they need to read the Bible again. Look around at christmas to see how their stores honor Jesus. Hardly any Christian items on shelves and they work their employess too much. They don't care about family, it's all about the almighty dollar to be made. So tired and worn out on christmas, need to sleep through it to catch up...Absolutely no human interaction. Just be there robots....the managers read passages from the bible to us and then turn around and berate people. No one knows what the policies are because they are changed all the time. If you are one of the favorites you can get away with whatever, while the productive employees will be made to pick up your slack on top of their own. Everyone makes the same amount of money no matter who they are or how they work. I'm so sick of hearing that people are stronger in different areas. We should all be held to the same standard or paid by that sliding scale. Every time you get a new manager you have to change the way the wheel operates and they look at you like you are losing it if you continue the way you were originally trained. Even the money we make is almost not worth the beating you are going to get. Like I said before, how much is it worth to sleep with the devil?????

Try being human