www.hobbylobby.com
Employer Engaged

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid at a rate that you can survive in today's economy. Great co workers, I was part time so Im not sure of the benefits.

Cons

There are a lot of late nights especially on truck day or when there are a lot of resets. This usually ends after christmas and starts back up right after spring. Pretty much throughout the year.

Hard work for decent pay

Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Good pay for retail. Always something to do. Closed on Sunday's. Close at 8 pm every night.
    Steady raise every year.

Cons

Awful benefits
    Limited upward mobility
    Upper management doesn't listen to complaints
    Sporadic hours.

Promote more employees from within the company instead of hiring outside people for management positions. They typically take forever to train and are trained by the people who should be in their position.

a great family oriented place to work

Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

works with you about schedule conflicts, great pay, merchandise is outstanding with quality and quantity.

Cons

need more people to work during the Christmas season,

hire more people during the christmas season

Pay not Equal for Part-Timer's Responsibilities

Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I was a framer for 3 years and recently had to quit due to a move. Management was good, coworkers were nice, hours fine.

Cons

It would have been nice to get paid more for the extra responsibility part-time framers have. One night while working alone, I was juggling 2-3 different customers, trying to finish custom orders due the next day, answering the phone, and start recovery within the hour. As I was sweating buckets with all these expectations, I see the stock boy just casually walk by sweeeeeeping. I think to myself, "and we make the same wage??". I don't get it.

Pay part-time framers more for all the responsibility and skills they have. This job was very stressful at times; especially if you're expected to achieve many tasks and responsibilities in the few hours you're working. Rewards for obtaining a high upselling percentage would've been appreciated too.

H.L on the D.L

Current Employee - As A Matter of Fact, the Whole Store in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - As A Matter of Fact, the Whole Store in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The items in the stores are nice, prices are so-so because of weekly discount savings, 40% coupon is good, the music is relaxing while you shop, some of the stores are clean and bright and some employees are friendly. Closed on Sundays but open for employees during new location store set and otherwise.

Cons

Store sets are tideous and confusing since there no aisle to show which department to deliver stock to, items to ring up individually on register, orientation takes 90 days before hire as a PT/FT but no one really gets FT. Store hours 9am-8pm good for customers but employees leaves 2-4 hours later cleaning and covering the diamonds.

Upper management should use modern technology in stores to prevent loss, advise store managers how to be courteous to employees as they do with customers. Store managers should meet with employees to disuss there work performance at least once a month, thank employees for their effort before ending their seasonal assignment without his/her knowledge, and let's work as a team.

you do not have much say on what goes on in your store

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

the pay is very good for what you do and they work well with your school schedule if you are a student

Cons

people from the corporate offices always come in to grade the store and when they do they always tell you to do something new. this would not be bad if it was different for every store but it is not. They do not realize that every store is different and depending on the location you are in, you may need to do some things a little differently.

I was a part time cashier who worked fair hours, checking, wrapping, and bagging customers purchases.

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The hours are amazing! They close at 8, and I was always busy, but never too busy.

Cons

It was difficult to request off. The managers rarely accept any requests, and you aren't allowed to request off any time during the holiday season ever.

The Almighty Dollar is god here, this is NOT a Christian corporation. To say it is so is an oxymoron at best.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is a little better than most retail places.

Cons

Management gets far too much money in profit sharing bonuses which are calculated by profit mainly from the useless junk they sell which is made in communist China, versus "expenses" such as payroll. As a consequence, staffing is abysmal with no more than a skeleton crew of maybe 8 or 10 workers in the store at most times. This causes massive customer dissatisfaction especially when coupled with the usual complete lack of product knowledge. Management at these stores knows nothing, nor cares to know anything about the many arts and crafts tools and supplies the stores carry. Their main concern is pushing the high profit junk from China, while neglecting the most important areas of the stores as far as creative customers are concerned. Customers are on their own unless they have a lot of prior knowledge and know what they are looking for as management is generally completely inept and ignorant about most of the products they carry unless they are self explanatory.
    There is constant friction and division between employees and management as a result of their outright greed and micro-managing.

Screen prospective management people more thoroughly. TRAIN them in ALL aspects and departments of the stores. Make Hobby Lobby all about the art and creativity, creativity being a gift from the One True God. The fact that this corporation makes incredible amounts of money at the expense of not only the concentration camp labor in communist countries as well as their own employees in this country borders on criminal. Managers and prospective managers succumb to the love of money, which is NOT at all a part of God's true purpose for humanity. Really practice what you preach!
     I saw 2 out of 3 co-managers during my tenure, simply stay, and stay, and stay in hopes of taking over a high volume store. Hobby Lobby should allow them only a set number of offers to move to their own stores, instead of letting them try to force existing managers and knowledgeable employees out in order to just take over a store for their own personal gain.

Waste of time

Former Employee - Custom Framer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Custom Framer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay at $10 an hour compared to other retail stores.

Cons

Gripped at for not selling custom frames or measurements are incorrect. Stay over when you where supposed to get off by 5 minutes you get written up and supposed told to talk to human resources. Also most are part time because they don't want to give you benefits and only scheduled for two 4 hour work days a week can't even survive off that. In two weeks of this you only made $103 and got to keep anywhere from $90-94 after taxes and healthcare and social security where taken out.

Learn that some part time employees have other jobs because of how few hours they are given. After the manager I got along with left the others did not honor my availability and schedule me on days I worked at my other job. Did not show to Hobby Lobby because my other job pays so much better then Hobby Lobby ever has and for a Christian companies it is not so Christian in the stores with how employees are treated by some managers and corporate staff.

It's retai

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Works well with my home life.

Cons

Understaffed as lot of the time.

Train people better so you can count on people other than the ones that have been there forever.

Hobby Lobby Photos