Hobby Lobby

Updated December 13, 2014
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy going place to work

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and excellent place to work if you want to fit labor and decision making without overloading the two. Not labor intensive as other jobs like working in a factor, grocery store, hardware store or anyplace requiring heavy stock to put on shelves at a low price. They are good at giving detailed instructions on how things should be displayed but also give you the freedom to merchandize a lot of the product, which can be fun and challenging. There is a lot of satisfaction in making a display or merchandising product, in result, a customer buys because they thought it looked good.

Cons

First job with Health Insurance and Benefits but everyone tells me that their plan is not the greatest. Worked for a couple of stores and have ran into a couple of interesting and exciting co-workers but as a whole, employee based, it is not that interesting. This is coming from a person who use to work in the restaurant industry in the downtown area.

Every Manager i have had the privilege to work with, from the co-manager all the way up to the reginal manager, has done a great job in my book. My advise would to be to keep up the good work.

Pleasant place to work

Current Employee - Receiver in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Receiver in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The morning schedule is great .

Cons

Management is a piece of crap

An Okay First Job

Former Employee - Cashier in Parker, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Parker, CO

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store staff sizes are small enough that everyone knows each other, and you will most likely help out with many aspects of the business (stocking, pricing, cashiering, cleaning, answering questions, etc.) despite what your official job title is. You receive a $50 Christmas bonus from the company. 15% employee discount at your store. Sundays off and reasonable day hours.

Cons

Minimum wage, even after a year of service. Employees at my store were not allowed to talk with each other, nor be in the same aisle as one another. High turnover rate among staff. Cashiers were not equipped with barcode scanners (everything is hand-punched). Employees not allowed to use store bathrooms to change into work uniform (bathrooms are for customers).

I understand that retail jobs require little experience or training, but I believe that talking to your employees as opposed to belittling them in front of coworkers may yield a more motivated workforce that performs better as a team.

A store manager that sucks and is always in a bad mood.

Former Employee - Department Head in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Department Head in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they have great benefits, Good pay. they give you a christmas bonus every uear

Cons

Working for a store manager that is like Sally feilds in the movie Sybal. In the movie Sally Fields has many personalities so did my boss. One minute she was in a good mood the next she would bite your head off.

Don't get mad when people get sick and think they are doing it on purpose. People can't help getting sick

Excellent

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Pay is the best in local.

Cons

Attendance policy is very strict which explains their high turnover rate.

Relaxed

A great company to work for.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values, ever other weekend off, never have to work a Sunday. Great bonus structure and they are fairly reasonable to attain.

Cons

Midland area has challenging employee retention issues, Fall and Christmas can be extremely challenging and you will often receive two full semi trucks on the same day.

Cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Great benefits. Family friendly. Great place to work.

Cons

Not really any cons I just decided to be a stay at home mom.

Fun place to work but tough getting hired in and so competitive.

Current Employee - Floater
    Current Employee - Floater

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is fun and fast paced work. Great co workers, nice products and clean environment

Cons

Nearly impossible getting a rare full time position, training is scarce, mostly self taught. Management knows for every employee that gives up waiting for a full time position and quits, there are at least 50 more to take that slot.

Please, please force better training for the low level employees. Don't assume your store managers are making that happen, ask the employees.

50%-50%

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Hobby Lobby (more than an year)

Pros

Christian values like Sundays off. I am a people person I like people. You are never really one thing which means you get a round. Great magazine that is available for personal growth. Too bad management doesn't read it

Cons

Everything in your training is wrong management ask you to walk the ladders if you don't you are considered of no value. we are asked not to call other stores which makes customers angry and there is no recourse for management if they don't follow rules because they say it was misinterpreted and employees are afraid to speak up. Management treats most people like they are stealing but when confronted with real shop lifters they don't act

There should be a hotline for employees to call in for things like walking ladders and and other things training videos ask us to do or at least survey it would be a dream job otherwise and more surprise visits so they can see first hand this violations

company going downhill

Current Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, Sundays off, Decent pay for retail, good 401k plan, 15% discount on all merchandise,including clearance

Cons

corporate continues to demand more from stores with less help, becoming harder to do a good job when stretched so thin, customer service and employee moral are suffering:(

remember that your store employees are what makes or breaks you, cutting payroll only hurts your customers, Department staff cant give service on the sales floor if they are all on a register, customers are dropping their items and walking out the door, and get the scanners going already, we are 30 years behind other retailers.

Hobby Lobby Photos