Hobby Lobby

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

company going downhill

Current Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, Sundays off, Decent pay for retail, good 401k plan, 15% discount on all merchandise,including clearance

Cons

corporate continues to demand more from stores with less help, becoming harder to do a good job when stretched so thin, customer service and employee moral are suffering:(

remember that your store employees are what makes or breaks you, cutting payroll only hurts your customers, Department staff cant give service on the sales floor if they are all on a register, customers are dropping their items and walking out the door, and get the scanners going already, we are 30 years behind other retailers.

Love the company as a whole.

Current Employee - Information Systems in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. Not much required of employees outside of normal 8 to 5 business day.

Cons

There is no flex schedule and there is not any comp time for salaried employees. Mgmt is not open to new/innovative ideas unless it is their idea or comes from other managers. Managers do not share information, so a lot of tasks come down last minute.

Understand that employees need to learn and develop their skills. Managers do not understand that if the employees know their job well and contribute, it makes the managers look good.

Not the Company they claim to be...

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Cullman, AL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Cullman, AL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only "pro" is that the merchandise is fun to work with - creative items / products.

Cons

Shortly after accepting the co-manager position, the promises in the recruitment talks were rescinded. Sundays off are a lie, as they require management to work to set the new ad that starts every Monday morning. The plan was to stay after close on Saturday at 8 pm to set the ad signage, which mean 1 or 2 am before completing (Sunday morning) but after working 8 am - 8 pm (12 hours management shift) who would want to stay that long. So, you came in Sunday to complete the set. The senior management was part of the "family" owners so there was an imperialistic style of management and some very "non - christian" values coming out of the mouths of these "leaders".

Disappointing

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like someone else mentioned, they hire a lot of designers right out of college which is great. The department layout is cool.

Cons

They are quick to go to the chopping block. One mistake and suddenly your years of good standing mean nothing. It's extremely stressful when you feel like you're doing a great job one day and could be fired the next.

The hourly wages for designers and system for giving raises is awful. No negotiation, take it or leave it attitude. Some designers get paid as much as the warehouse workers. If you think you'll get a good raise by getting a promotion, think again. They spend thousands of dollars on poorly made, pre-purchased "batch" art and thousand-dollar meeting room chairs, instead of investing in their employees and utilizing their skills.

Some people in senior leadership would always park in fire lanes and handicap spots. It's illegal and a blatant disrespect for disabled/injured employees, and it gives the impression that the rules don't apply to senior leadership. If you want a front row spot every time you come to work, then just put your name on a parking spot.

Invest more in your designers and less in your furniture.

It is a great, family friendly place to work.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Always closed on Sundays and pretty good hourly pay for part time workers on retail.

Cons

I always have to work on Saterdays and your schedule can be pretty unpredictable sometimes.

I think management is doing okay.

Had a really good experience at Hobby Lobby Corporate

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

They are open to you when family stuff needs to be taken care of. They offer a good health care clinic there in OKC by corporate offices.

Cons

Really no cons because Hobby Lobby's wage is higher than many other places.

Management I dealt with was awesome!!!

Worst company everrrr to work for.

Current Employee - Framer in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Framer in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED being a Framer as Fine Artist, it was right up my alley and I was excellent at it. It was fun, I loved my boss, she was the best Framer!

Cons

Eight years ago they paid new Framers...or so I was told $5.15 an hour, I found out they were paying other Framers who had been there for few years $4.25 an hour! Then minimum wage was raised to $7 something and while I just got a two dollar raise to $7.15 an hour....they refused to raise me two dollars more at that time after I'd worked my tail off to learn everything in that shop. They were telling people that they didn't give raises at all. My boss told me that you have to ask for a review and then ask for a raise, then they try to tell you that they only give .25. I finally had gotten the two dollars just be right there with the people who did NOTHING and admitted they did nothing because they had worked there years with no raises. Worthless company!!! I walked out. Christians my butt! AND THEY ONLY HIRE PART TIME EMPLOYEES, WE HAD FOUR FULL TIMERS IN THE WHOLE STORE!!! They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits.

Liars. Worst Management EVERRRR.

Poor leadership of stores

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Off Sundays and a pretty set work schedule

Cons

Store manager that didn't care about staff.

Have store managers practice company beliefs. Cursing and Lord's name in vain are not core values of the company, but are with select store managers

Bad!!!!!

Former Employee - Co Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many. Pay and benefits were ok and the people were nice. That was about all the good

Cons

You work a ton of hours. As a manager you will work at least 2 open to close a week.

Allow your salary manager to have a life

Enjoyable work, bad work environment

Former Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Department Head in Wichita, KS

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great pay, lots of areas to work in and learn new retail skills, customers were mostly friendly unless they were trying to rip you off, paid vacation and holiday bonus, off on sundays, employee discount, loved doing layouts and ordering and managing my department and loved my regular customers

Cons

employee morale was always low, some bullying and trash talking allowed to go on, long hours during christmas made it impossible to enjoy, constantly moving merchandise, managers never dealt with employee problems: more worried about their own, never thanked for hard work, allowed lazy workers to continue while pressuring hard working ones. hostile work environment. not much direction from management. no set schedule, hard to plan life around work

take time to deal with morale issues, not just worry about themselves. communicate with employees, not just get angry and panic when a district manager is on the way. If the store is running as it should, the panic shouldnt happen. Employee morale was always low, makes it hard to help customers when managment or other employees make negative and personal comments or have a lack of understanding and compassion.

Hobby Lobby Photos