Hobby Lobby

Updated August 15, 2014

2.5

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Opening new store -

Former Employee - All Around Store Employee
    Former Employee - All Around Store Employee

Pros

Good full-time wage if you can get full-time ($15.00+).

Cons

Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time. Paid "part time" wage of $9.50 per hour. Did everything I was asked - worked 10-12 hour days including Sundays to help them open the store on time. Very few people were allowed to stay full-time - less than 10 out of over 60. Most workers were let go. Most people that were hired were part time to keep wages and benefits low.

Very disappointed in the "Christian" company. If you had potential to work your way up into management you were not hired.

Dont let the recruiters fool you!

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

Pros

Great pay for FT and PT associates, additional discount on top of sale prices in store, truly friendly employees who really work hard in there respective departments

Cons

Workload for co manager is far more than what can be met in addition to doing "manager" duties of coming to registers to approve simple returns, checks, and other nuances that every other retailer has taken the manager approval requirement away years ago. The workload across the entire store is difficult for the entire team to keep up on and it negatively affects the morale of the team. The turnover for Co Managers is extremely high for this company and I now see why. Store Managers abuse the co managers(at least mine did and I heard the same from several others), they dump everything on them and expect them to work insane amounts of hours. If you have a family you wont see them.

Reality check on modern advancements in the world of retail. Having associates check item by item 1 to 2 times per week to order the merchandise for the store is too time consuming and labor intensive. The investment into a modern POS system would pay for itself in labor savings in no time! Additionally upper management has NO IDEA what is truly happening in the stores. The workload is far too much for the store to keep up and maintain the high standards that Hobby Lobby wants to maintain. I am all about keeping high standard stores much like target does, but the manpower does not meet that expectation on top of all the other things that corporate is dropping down on the stores. Give under cover boss a try in a few stores and see what its really like on the sales floor!

Indifference at its best with a touch of racism.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Topeka, KS

Pros

Pay is ok, time off requests ok. I started as Seasonal and everything was going good until after the holidays. If you come to work you won't get fired. Discount is so so. At Michaels they give you 30percent off your purchase.

Cons

EVERYONE hates their job! Very negative working environment and the AC doesn't work at the register area. Talk about a hot steamy work environment. Customers often complain about the wait time in line and the heat! No, we are not allowed to have any water and they you must constantly be working. We never have enough people to man the floor and check customers out! Upper management is miliary style in dealing with employees. Very hateful and definitely not Christian! Our bathrooms are very grungy, no wait,disgusting! The way they tell you that you are fired is to not put you on the schedule for the next week. They almost gave one customer service manager a heart attack when she found out she wasn't on the schedule for the coming week. Oops, we accidentally left you off the schedule. I will be terminating my employment tomorrow And no, I'm not giving any notice. I will at least have the balls to do it face to face with the manager unlike his way of letting folks go. One more thing. Unless you are a white female, don't bother being applying. You must also not be "old and looking like you worked in a factory for 30 years" or be black. Truey a very bad place to work at!

See above comments!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretend to be something their not!!

Pros

Good hours and off every Sunday

Cons

Lack of coverage and recognition from upper management. Also a high turnover rate in regular associates and management

Pto policy, recognition

No training, nasty co-workers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

Pros

Full time pay if you can get it, benefits, closed Sundays

Cons

No training, no hours for part timers, bad attitudes

Was told on my second day to run a register with no training. Hours cut first week there down to practically nothing. They expect you to do things right the first time without showing you how to do it in the first place. Constantly being told I'm doing things wrong, but never told how to do it right. I've been treated badly by coworkers several times when asking for help. Never worked anywhere that everyone is so stressed out. Customers are always very nice.

Good pay but overly conservative in all policies.

Pros

Good pay. Hours are ok. Most co workers are nice and helpful. Great merchandise. No sales quotas. Closed on Sundays.

Cons

Must cover tattoos. Stays up to 2 hours after closing time straightening the store. Too conservative in dress code and ideology to be a creative craft and art store. Could be more of a fun place to work if company policy wasn't so uptight. Discount is only 15%. A lot of customers are not friendly. Manager gets on everyone's nerves. Only a 30 min lunch for a 9+ hour shift. If you are stuck on a register you may not get your 15 minute break. Registers do not scan product.

I think that if you revert your dress code back to wearing jeans again, then wearing collar shirts will be more acceptable. Allow some tattoos to show. Especially if it's the difference in someone burning up at the register by the constantly opening doors at the front on a hot summer day. No one should have to cut their hair because they can't wear it up because of trying to cover a small tattoo. Behind their ear. I feel there is some discrimination going on here.

Now knowing how the sausage is made, I've kind of lost my appetite for it.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

Pros

The pay is pretty decent for PT employees. The store closes at 8:00 pm every day, and is closed on Sunday. There's no insane early morning hours for Black Friday, only slightly earlier/later hours. Employee discount is 15%. Knowing when things were going to be marked down. Monthly potluck.

Cons

The HL way of conducting business in it's stores is better suited for a smaller Mom & Pop operation. The POS system currently being used, is an improvement over the previous one, but is still tedious for large transactions. As a cashier you have to enter everything manually. Price + Department + Discount (if applicable). The cashiers have a very small space to work, and this makes wrapping the fragile items difficult. If a customer changes their mind about an item, you aren't allowed to void that item. The CSM must come over and delete the whole transaction, and all items then have to be entered again. If the majority of your customers are buying sale items, the high percentage raises a red flag, and you are accused of not knowing what's on sale (giving everything away). HL pushes the app, and the weekly 40% coupon, yet we are admonished when we ring in a certain number of those coupons. The CSM must supervise and approve every return. This isn't usually a big deal, except when they have the CSM on the other side of the store covering someone else's department. Some days there aren't enough people working the floor, so price checks can take a long time. Overworked is still overworked, even if you're making a decent paycheck. Employees from the floor do come to help ring up customers when the lines are long, but then they get behind in their work. Most days controlling payroll dollars seems to trump staffing the store for good customer service. The most balanced and even-handed Manager at this store is openly disrespected by the other Managers, and most employees too. Almost everything is made in China. Really?

Communication needs to be more of a priority between management and employees. When policies change, make sure everyone is notified, not just the 5 people working at that moment. Upper management needs to show up unannounced to see how things are being done when you're not there. When customers are aware on a daily basis that there are so many shortcomings in the way the company is run, they question the conservative values that the company is built around. Working there has changed the way I view the company, and it's kind of ruined the experience of shopping there.

Worked 10+ years

Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Department Head
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Department Head

Pros

Off Sundays, close at 8, no crazy holiday hours, Holiday bonus. Pay is awesome for retail.

Cons

Management always sucks, too much to do, not enough payroll, register system, stupid dm's

So, I've worked with this company for over 10 years and the biggest problem is staffing. I understand it all depends on sales and whatnot but it's pretty ridiculous when you have a 120 hour reset and you only work 5 hours a day. Oh, and you're doing said reset by yourself. Also, the register system is a joke. But I'm sure you already know that. Also, Keep your department heads off register please. It's hard to get stopped what you're doing just to ring up 1 customer and then go back. Not worth it.

Great company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Company values, easy to get off for family events/reasons. Easy to embrace culture of their retail philosophy. Able to learn different jobs

Cons

Lacking technology when it comes to checking in stock items for customers, ordering process is a long and time consuming process. A lot of physical work.

There are very good people who are in an assistant manager role who should be made co managers vs always hiring from the outside first.

crafts manager

Pros

good people to work with and learn from
    good pay

Cons

never enough help to get job done constant pull between cashier back calls and keeping my department up

take a look around and see who is doing the work and who is checking out the customers and leaving no service in the departments

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!