Hobsons

Add Photos

Hobsons President & CEO Craig Heldman

Craig Heldman

Inquiry Management Representative

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for less than a year

ProsHobsons provides a fun, friendly work atmosphere. There is a company wide annual conference and awards banquest called the H'Oscars that provides every employee in the company from all locations around the globe a few days off work. Everyone is flown to a location city with pay for the two or three days of the conference. Each night there is dancing, games, activities all at the company's expense. The CEO and other top tier executives are very approachable and actually socialize with everyone making for a very fun, relaxed environment.

ConsThe EMS division of Hobsons is new to Oklahoma City making limited advancement opportunities in Oklahoma. There are a lot of advancement opportunities posted internally for other locations but very few for the Oklahoma City employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with remote locations more. There is a general feeling of being left out a littlle bit because of the remote nature of the Oklahoma employees.

Great perks, dishonest leadership

Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobsons for more than a year

ProsPaid Christmas vacation, flexible work schedule

ConsDishonest leadership; corporate and local.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, not just "yes" people. but those who can really make a difference.

Disappointing

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than a year

ProsHobsons has a good set of people who work for them. I work in Oklahoma city for the EMS division contracted with MACU. This has been good in the terms of growth for the school.

ConsThey just did a mass lay off and will soon be firing more people. MACU was mislead on the number of student Hobsons could deliver. They have no idea how to manage. They are going down hill and will prob lets all of us go in September. They have lost so many good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to promote better people and not the "Yes" person. All executive should get their MBA and maybe you can better lead the company with having more knowledge.

I had no idea how much better I could have it until I left. Seriously, it's kind of sad.

Front End Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLike most everyone says, the folks you sit with everyday will likely be fun people. They do care about you and they are flexible when something comes up in your personal life.

Great benefits.

ConsCreative thinkers are completely giving the bi-polar treatment. One minute you feel like a god, the next day, your ideas are too visionary and will be cut into pieces or discarded.

I think the decision makers mean well, but they are constantly 6+ years behind the curve, and don't trust that you know more about your profession then they do.

It's like pulling teeth to get everything you need to perform at peek output. I constantly felt like I could do more if only I had the right set up.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour fun atmosphere is great for getting talent to stay short term, but boy oh boy, if you want them to stay long term you need to do the following:
1. Trust them to make decisions within their expertise. Isn't that why you hired them to do their job?
2. Pay your best people *more* than the median wage, rather than 20-40% less. Great benefits are good, but now I can afford to pay a bit more and still come out way ahead...
3. Make room for people to move up to something. No it doesn't have to be a management role.
4. Don't make overtime the rule. Hire more people.
5. Stop being so third party solution heavy. You hired developers and designers. Let them develop and design things. Then see rule number one.
6. Stop being so feature focused and be more UX focused.

Fun people, but management needs to learn to manage

Web Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of fun and hard-working people at Hobsons. The general culture is one of the best facets of the business.

ConsHobsons does not promote the best candidates to management. Instead it's friends and yes-people. Salary is woefully low for the Cincinnati market. Career advancement is non-existent unless you're part of the inner circle. One of the first things Hobsons does when looking to save money is fire people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Hobsons should implement manager reviews, where employees can rate their boss annually. Right now that's not in place and it makes most workers feel their voices are not heard.

Naviance, now Hobsons

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than a year

Proshealth benefits and location are excellent. great work-life balance.

Consnot a clear career development path

Advice to Senior Managementthis may have been addressed in the re-org

Potential future employees beware if you are joining the K12/Naviance division

K12 (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

ProsGood vacation specially on December, knowledgeable peers, good location, free coffee, prom night every year (they call it Hoscars). Yes prom night!

ConsMicro management in the K12 department, lack of trust, dead end and boring projects, lack of innovation, favoritism, very high turnover, managers who gets promoted even with high turnovers. Promote a hostile, aggressive and defensive environment is their motto.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value your employees that much, try to invest on them.

A flawed experience

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people I worked with were mostly great. The benefits were quite excellent (with the exception of a lack of vision insurance, which baffled me).

ConsThere was a severe lack of internal opportunities for someone with my skill set and on the rare chance that such a position opened up, it would usually be shut back down due to "budgetary reasons". There is also too much of a focus on development and not enough focus on design with Hobsons' primary product suite. It always felt like the developers ran the show at the expense of usability given the sheer number of complaints I heard internally and externally regarding the Connect CRM.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want to make the new version of your product suite become great and stand out from the competition? Listen to whatever designers you have, focus heavily on usability and don't just try to shoehorn feature lists from two different products into one "new" product. Otherwise, it's going to feel like it's held together by tape and staples.

Once a strong company now on the down turn.

Client Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are young and just out of college this is the company for you.

ConsNot a good company to those of age.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to those of experience (age) for they will guide your company to success.

overview

I worked at Hobsons

Prosgreat folks to work with

Consnone that I can think of

Worked for Hobsons? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobsons reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hobsons CEO Craig Heldman. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Hobsons employees.