Hobsons

Updated February 23, 2015
3.1

Hobsons Chief Executive Officer Craig Heldman
Craig Heldman

Pros
  • Hobsons has a great work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• If you need to work from home because you are having or have kids (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, they even "encourage" some people to leave at times ( I know three people this had happened to) (in 3 reviews)

• People are promoted into positions without any other employees being given the opportunity to interview or submit a resume for those positions (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible with great people and culture. Good holiday schedule and time-off policies.

Cons

Sales focused. Lots of change.

Not bad..

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture, range of projects, benefits, flexible hours/work location (working from home is an option).

Cons

Suspicious managing...especially when company wide restructure happens. Open office environment.

Had a great time.

Former Contractor - Marketing in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Hobsons as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great work environment, young and vibrant employee base

Cons

The only constant is change. Reorganization is an annual event. Unless you are in upper management, you never know what you will be doing after the next change. Hard to have annual reviews when your supervisor changes every year.

Share the vision before initiating the changes.

Great company & people, corporate goals sometimes confusing

Former Employee - Product in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Product in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hobsons is at the center of some interesting things going on in the education space. There is some interesting work there depending on your role. Lots of great people. Great corporate philanthropy program.

Cons

Hobsons always seems to be reorganizing. It has a very growth and profit oriented corporate strategy that incorporates a fair amount of M&A activity. While good for the bottom line, it can be pretty disruptive to restructure and absorb acquisitions. Executive management is a little schizophrenic with message. In the morning you are hearing about how there's no money for reasonable annual raises, but in the afternoon you hear a presentation about how our parent company overlords are applauding our record profits.
    If they want to retain talent and really grow their people, Hobsons needs to focus a little more on employee pay and satisfaction.

Turn more of your focus to the people at Hobsons. Be willing to spend money to better develop & retain your talented people. Guard against handing down authoritarian and seemingly arbitrary policies. Empower the team managers to develop policies and practices that help their team work.

Excellent Management and Colleagues!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are given a lot of autonomy, so you can really thrive and have the freedom to come up with new ideas. Colleagues are amazing--will drop anything to help. Managers are excellent--they really want you to succeed and advance your skills (very supportive). The company charity (PLAN international--called HUGS at Hobsons) encourages many fun events in the office: weekly beer cart, potlucks, pancake breakfasts, THANKSGrams, etc. the Arligton office is really beautiful--can't beat the location (Clarendon right next to the metro).

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to get things done due to the hierarchy, but they are trying to make the organization more flat (A for effort)!

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to trust your employees and give them the freedom to be creative and they will continue to shine!

Company culture

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have some neat volunteer initiatives and you can have a great work/life balance.

Cons

Management is a mess and there is a real lack of leadership. Pay scale is way below the norm, but they have made some effort to rectify that. Not a great place for women to get ahead. Company is always in triage mode, reactive and not proactive.

focus on some leadership, make your VP's actually accountable, make them add real value.

Great people not so great mobility

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great at Hobsons and we really worked together well as a team.

Cons

It is difficult to move up within the organization or to find roles on different teams.

Boys club

Current Employee - Development/QA in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Development/QA in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work /life balance, holiday time off, decent pay.

Cons

The dev /QA department has been misguided for some time. Discrimination is rampant as recognition and awards are always given to the men. If you are working your tail off and doing a great job but the other colleague working with you is a man, prepare yourself for disbelief because the recognition always goes to the man. Every. Time. Ladies, if you can live with that, then it isn't a bad place to work.

Promotions haven't made sense to me in awhile. They seem to go to the last person you would think makes sense / the least qualified.

It should be fairly obvious: pay attention, the company could use some qualified leaders. And try to make sure the recognition actually goes to the person who deserves it and not just the men you like to drink beer with.

Wish I hadn't left

Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is great. They have had growing pains like all other companies, however most people there are passionate about what they do.

Cons

I agree that leadership needs some work.

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many things that can be said about working for Hobsons and despite the Cons, I admit the company is the best I have worked for. As part of a small team within the company my experience has been fantastic - this is due to the Director for which I work. The position I hold provides me with an incredible work, life balance and support from my Director when family issues arise. Hobsons provides a laid-back work environment that is incredibly collegial - this is fostered by the open floor plan and lack of walls or cubicles. Whether it is beer-cart Friday, or leaving early the day before a holiday, the company provides little perks. Each fiscal year ends with a company wide awards and black-tie celebration. Overall, I would recommend it to others looking to apply.

Cons

For a company of its size, employee compensation is well below the national & regional market values. Money is typically a sore point with employees; however, Hobsons does not fully recognize the experience and skills of its talent. Specifically, a new employee can expect to be somewhere in the 25 to 45% in compensation.

As mentioned above, the leadership takes interest in the employees; however, there is a definite political element. For example, award nominees often are the same each year. There is overall company recognition for a good year, but individually good work is overlooked - especially when part of a small team.

Recently the company began an organizational restructure that has not been well received by employees (myself included). News of this restructure came shortly before it began. This event has resulted in the breaking up of teams, and employees not knowing where they fit into the new organization. Drastic change is common at Hobsons and new applicants need be comfortable with this.

When making significant changes that affect employees, provide more advanced notice.