Hobsons

Updated January 10, 2015
Updated January 10, 2015

Hobsons Chief Executive Officer Craig Heldman
Craig Heldman

Pros
  • Hobsons has a great work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• If you need to work from home because you are having or have kids (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, they even "encourage" some people to leave at times ( I know three people this had happened to) (in 3 reviews)

• People are promoted into positions without any other employees being given the opportunity to interview or submit a resume for those positions (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Management and Colleagues!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are given a lot of autonomy, so you can really thrive and have the freedom to come up with new ideas. Colleagues are amazing--will drop anything to help. Managers are excellent--they really want you to succeed and advance your skills (very supportive). The company charity (PLAN international--called HUGS at Hobsons) encourages many fun events in the office: weekly beer cart, potlucks, pancake breakfasts, THANKSGrams, etc. the Arligton office is really beautiful--can't beat the location (Clarendon right next to the metro).

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to get things done due to the hierarchy, but they are trying to make the organization more flat (A for effort)!

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to trust your employees and give them the freedom to be creative and they will continue to shine!

Company culture

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have some neat volunteer initiatives and you can have a great work/life balance.

Cons

Management is a mess and there is a real lack of leadership. Pay scale is way below the norm, but they have made some effort to rectify that. Not a great place for women to get ahead. Company is always in triage mode, reactive and not proactive.

focus on some leadership, make your VP's actually accountable, make them add real value.

Great people not so great mobility

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great at Hobsons and we really worked together well as a team.

Cons

It is difficult to move up within the organization or to find roles on different teams.

Boys club

Current Employee - Development/QA in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Development/QA in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work /life balance, holiday time off, decent pay.

Cons

The dev /QA department has been misguided for some time. Discrimination is rampant as recognition and awards are always given to the men. If you are working your tail off and doing a great job but the other colleague working with you is a man, prepare yourself for disbelief because the recognition always goes to the man. Every. Time. Ladies, if you can live with that, then it isn't a bad place to work.

Promotions haven't made sense to me in awhile. They seem to go to the last person you would think makes sense / the least qualified.

It should be fairly obvious: pay attention, the company could use some qualified leaders. And try to make sure the recognition actually goes to the person who deserves it and not just the men you like to drink beer with.

Wish I hadn't left

Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is great. They have had growing pains like all other companies, however most people there are passionate about what they do.

Cons

I agree that leadership needs some work.

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many things that can be said about working for Hobsons and despite the Cons, I admit the company is the best I have worked for. As part of a small team within the company my experience has been fantastic - this is due to the Director for which I work. The position I hold provides me with an incredible work, life balance and support from my Director when family issues arise. Hobsons provides a laid-back work environment that is incredibly collegial - this is fostered by the open floor plan and lack of walls or cubicles. Whether it is beer-cart Friday, or leaving early the day before a holiday, the company provides little perks. Each fiscal year ends with a company wide awards and black-tie celebration. Overall, I would recommend it to others looking to apply.

Cons

For a company of its size, employee compensation is well below the national & regional market values. Money is typically a sore point with employees; however, Hobsons does not fully recognize the experience and skills of its talent. Specifically, a new employee can expect to be somewhere in the 25 to 45% in compensation.

As mentioned above, the leadership takes interest in the employees; however, there is a definite political element. For example, award nominees often are the same each year. There is overall company recognition for a good year, but individually good work is overlooked - especially when part of a small team.

Recently the company began an organizational restructure that has not been well received by employees (myself included). News of this restructure came shortly before it began. This event has resulted in the breaking up of teams, and employees not knowing where they fit into the new organization. Drastic change is common at Hobsons and new applicants need be comfortable with this.

When making significant changes that affect employees, provide more advanced notice.

Bad leadership in some departments

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The C class executives seem to care about things, but not really sure since any layer beneath them is NOT that great

Cons

The engineering department has been totally misguided and messed up with completely wrong leadership right from 2011. Wrong guys were promoted from engineering department to other areas. The Engineering lead was elevated though he completely lacked any technical knowledge and was the reason for some really talented people leaving the organization. He is a bit of discriminator in terms of race too.

Bring diversity to your workforce. Marketing and glitter is good for external world , not for operating in an engineering department. Please have the right lens to see who fits better as engineering leads. All leads since 2011 are really nothing but a bunch of ****

Pleasant people, has gone downhill a bit

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Blue Ash, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their mission is good and they have acquired some talented companies in recent years.

Cons

Lots of shakeup and turnover in recent years. Lost a lot of talented people due to low pay or lack of advancement. Seems VERY political, it's important to know the right people.

Give employees more professional development opportunities, get back to focusing on team building and bringing morale back up.

Unrealistic

Former Employee - Account Executive in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Genuine people to work with.

Cons

Senior leadership had unrealistic expectations for the growth of the business.

Development

I worked at Hobsons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, flex commute options, great culture, compensation, great co-workers, management is open and honest, keep us up-to date on happenings.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed in certain departments, resulting in more work and stress.