Hoffman Agency Reviews

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014

3.7

Lou Hoffman

Great tech agency, cares for its employees

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Hoffman Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company Culture – Hands down, the best in the industry. Hoffman feels like family, and they bring on individuals who aren’t only brilliant, but emotionally intelligent and fun to work with.
    - Amazing Clients - I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of the most interesting, innovative companies in the world. In addition to having a good story, I really respect that senior management doesn’t take on a client unless they are in-line with the internal company culture and understand what it takes to be successful.
    - Supportive, caring, management – Employees aren’t disposable. I’ve seen the company again and again try to do what it takes to keep employees happy and satisfied with their jobs.
    - Fast acceleration – Unlike larger agencies I’ve worked at, if you have what it takes you can advance extremely rapidly. There are a wide variety of accounts and projects to work on, which provides a constant opportunity to gain new experiences.
    - Challenging, but still work/life balance – I rarely if ever get emails on the weekends or late at night – from clients or colleagues. It’s great! Sure, at times overtime is needed, but for the most part work can be done during normal business hours.
    - Hub of Silicon Valley – The agency is rooted in the tech hub of the world, which, if you're into tech, is really cool. I've had the opportunity to work with start-up CEOs to established household name companies.

Cons

- Like any agency, resources can be spread too thin at times.
    - Would like more direct engagement with the CEO.
    - As there’s a bigger focus on SEO/digital programs, would like to see more investment in in-house tools and resources.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Spent 6+ years working for Lou, which included surviving the Great Recession and better times since then.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hoffman Agency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn storytelling, thought leadership, SEO, social media, content marketing. Amazing culture that includes trust and support from junior staff to VPs. Lou is a true visionary in the evolution of PR and social media and content marketing.

Cons

There is a disconnect between Lou, GM and needs and concerns of junior staff. Some VPs and senior managers focus on the obvious, but can be oblivious to the workloads and personal dynamics on teams. Accountability is not always evenly applied across all employees, leading to resentment among those held to tougher standards. Some favoritism exists.

Take time to meet with junior pros, make sure you know their aspirations, concerns, worries and challenges. Don't wait for them to come to you. They won't.

Hold EVERYONE accountable, even favorite "stars". Otherwise, you could be crippling those very employees you prefer, while leading some of your most talented junior talent to explore other opportunities.

Great work, great senior managers, self-drivers could thrive here.

I worked at Hoffman Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall great place to work. Great international reputation for good work, strong media reputation, approachable senior managers and a really amazing CEO, great place for self-starters, cohesive team culture, great place to learn the ropes, regular skills trainings, great work-life balance.

Cons

Could benefit from providing better incentives and creating a stronger skill development environment in the workplace (not just at trainings) for entry-level employees.

Open up channels of communication & leverage the potential of the existing team culture to inspire greater mentorship between senior managers and junior employees. Encourage the natural development of a more collaborative work environment and incentive through team rewards.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Senior Management

I worked at Hoffman Agency part-time

Pros

Sr management is really great

Cons

need to actively grow people

grow people from the bottom up

Good place for entry-level employees to learn the ropes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hoffman Agency

Pros

Great colleagues
    Good benefits for a single person
    Good learning opportunity from long-time staff
    Lifelong learning encouraged
    Team-oriented culture
    Nice open-spaced office
    Good clients

Cons

No incentive for junior people to stick around after year one due to uncompetitive salaries
    No clear career paths, management likes to pigeonhole people
    Senior team is not effective -- dead wood was finally cut, but lost the top performing senior person who was also chief morale officer

Focus on how to retain up and coming stars
    Move more quickly to make changes when people are not doing well in a particular role

Company is alright but absolutely no accountability, transparency nor is there trust w/in staff and senior managment

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hoffman Agency

Pros

Location is in a city. CEO is approachable.

Cons

People who work from home are disappear entirely. Immature and dramatic staff. Most staff come from very poor educational backgrounds.

Sr management doesn't know how to inspire. There's an expectation to work 150% but the pay is only 85%.

Overall a great place to work, but some heavy draw-back's

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hoffman Agency

Pros

A bunch of very professional PR people, doing excellent work for the clients. Probably the best PR-Agency I've worked for even know about.

Cons

Limited possibilities for career growth and a tendency to put workers w/ visa dependencies in a disadvantage

Senior management needs to become better at guiding employees, opening up careers w/in the agency and allowing people to grow. While there's a lot of small perks like get-together's, luncheons etc., the agency should think about how they invest in employees in the long-term. The top-leadership seems somewhat removed from the daily issues of life and needs to reflect employee value in salaries and bonuses better.

Intense Workload and Poor Pay

I worked at Hoffman Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

- people are nice when you first came in
    - interesting client work sometimes
    - nice coworkers in general

Cons

- intense workload and long working hours
    - they love people who can mingle with them
    - always asking you to meet impossible deadlines

- maybe it's time to appreciate real hardworking workers
    - hire more people in the office
    - spread workload and accounts evenlt

Boutique and highly focused technology communication firm

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Hoffman Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room to improve, no politics, flat management, easy to get exposure in front of senior executives

Cons

Too small, low awareness, little self-marketing

Developed professional confidence

I have been working at Hoffman Agency

Pros

The VP of my tech group was everything a boss should be: humorous, encouraging, calm in a crisis, a natural teacher.

Cons

The main reason I left was for a better life/work balance. I just couldn't handle the travel required by my clients and my family obligations.

Keep up the good work!

Worked for Hoffman Agency? Contribute to the Community!