Hogan Lovells

Stephen J. Immelt

Temporary legal secretary

Current Employee - Legal Secretary
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary

I have been working at Hogan Lovells as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very professional and comfortable organizations.

Cons

Was only there as a temp, but enjoyed it.

None

A great exposure to the world of corporate law

I worked at Hogan Lovells

Pros

Good client base, decent number of opportunities to improve your legal skills as a junior attorney. Ability to have a client interaction early on.

Cons

Major clashes between management in London and DC

Better coordination

Was great but the interesting work left

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people there. Unfortunately, the entertainment practice moved to another firm.

Cons

It is one of the satellite offices so little input in management.

Try to bring back the old atmosphere.

Management is Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Location
    Used to be a good place to work
    Onsite daycare and cafeteria

Cons

Blatent favoritism for upward mobility in most departments.
    No appreciation for Hard work.
    Low morale among staff
    Dead end jobs.
    Benefits continue to dwindle for staff
    Seem to favor getting rid of seasoned staff for cheap and young.
    Cheap

Take care of the talent you have. Without legs (support) you can't walk.

Marketing team=Need not apply

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The firm itself is a good one - so if you're a lawyer and looking to get into a reputable global law firm, join the Corporate or Litigation practice and you'll be set. However, if you are professional looking for a legal marketing opportunity, please leverage GlassDoor, and other review tools to help guide you. Some of the partners are cool, and genuinely good people. I learned a lot from the partners I worked with.

Some more pros:
    Marketing team consists of talented, educated, kind, bright people. {Note this mainly is attributed to staff at the Manager level down}
    Subsidized cafeteria (the staff is super nice and everyone knows everyone)
    Location right above metro

Cons

I wish I had read glassdoor before I had joined.

For practice managers-there is very little support and everything is dumped on you. The turnover is higher than the industry average on the marketing team. There is a list of departed marketing staff that exists and it is well over 50 people that have quit and found happiness elsewhere in LESS THAN 4 years. Perhaps that will change now that the American CMO is gone and they've put the London CMO as Global CMO? Who knows..but you are probably better elsewhere. There is also a lot of favoritism, and it's very obvious.

Zero work life balance. The practice support team is expected to work the hours of a lawyer but at the going salary of a legal marketing professional-with zero appreciation, or bonus, mind you.

There has been recent changes such as the American CMO being asked to step down on the new CEO's first day on the job. Given how I found out as a non-HL employee before it was communicated to the Partners, the poor handling of that and the unprofessional email that was subsequently sent out from the CMO about her departure --or rather "choice to go do other things, um selling t-shirts….May the force be with you" is entirely reflective of the unprofessional, unfortunate lack of positive culture and respect that exists on the Marketing team. I do think it was a wise move to streamline to a global CMO though and hope that bodes well for the talent that remains/can stick it out, now someone needs to take a hard look at the other team leadership in the U.S….

There is a LOT of talented people on the team, beyond the favorites circle. It's a shame so many come and go without proper utilization of talent. I'm hoping with the CMO out for the U.S. things change and they can retain some of the talent and create a more reputable leadership team within the Marketing function across the firm. Good luck!

I have been working at Hogan Lovells

Pros

The office is located at the doorway to Metro Center so it's very convenient. They have a subsidized, on-site cafeteria. The food's not always the best, but they always have a salad bar. The firm is large enough that you should be able to find co-workers with whom you're compatible. They have health insurance, short term disability insurance and a 401K. They have decent software.

Cons

Salaries for Assistants have a cap. There are performance bonuses once you reach the cap, but bonuses are not guaranteed. All Assistants accrue leave at the same rate and it will never increase with years worked. An Assistant can be assigned anywhere from 3-10 or more attorneys. Handling billing and billing issues takes up a huge amount of your day. Unfortunately, there's inadequate training for billing. Overtime is frowned upon. All Assistants accrue leave at the same rate and it will never increase with years worked. It equals approximately 24 days a year. Over the next 4 years or so, the firm is undergoing major renovations while we continue to occupy the space. With the push to go paperless, is the push to barcode and send files offsite. The new design is very modern, with open space, glass and chrome. Partner offices will be barely larger than First Year Associate offices, and these tiny offices have one wall of glass. The nearly identical furniture, for the most part, will be attached to the walls. So we're in the midst of a make-over.

Upper management doesn't want advice. HR supervisors rarely come out of their offices, and if they do, it's not to talk to the staff. We've lost some good Assistants this year, who, when asked, were not willing to stay.

Great place to work. Awesome culture!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great maternity leave and acommodates flexible work schedules. International reach allows attorneys to work on very interesting international deals.

Cons

Less bonus than NYC law firms

A trap for recent graduates, career suicide

Current Employee - Conflicts Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Conflicts Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than an year)

Pros

subsidized lunch, the building is very beautiful

Cons

The big picture is, most analysts and analyst assistants here all come from great schools, GT, AU, GW, UMD but the job description says degree not required. Why? because they can pay you less.

I can't say anything about the rest of the firm but the conflicts department preys on recent grads because the managers themselves have been worn out of all hope through their years within the department.

There is a very clear hierarchy within the department and everyone reports to someone. You will never feel like the work you have done is appreciated. Your work will also be scrutinized and upper management will be very petty with your work product.

Nepotism seems to play a large role here, being respected in a workplace environment shouldn't have to end up with you becoming a brown noser.

The following are qualities that will not get you promoted:

-Standing up for yourself and trying to explain yourself when called out on

-Not working enough overtime (Upper management suggests 20 hours overtime a week)

-Trying to be creative and give suggestions to make the workplace more efficient

I know that looking for a job as a recent grad or anyone who is unemployed is difficult but this environment does not produce happy, healthy workers.

We all work hard to make ends meet and pave a better career path but any sincerity turns to suspiciousness and any honesty and hard work is not enough for management.

You WILL:

-Be burned out quickly

-Find that the skills you learned here aren't skills because you can't transfer them anywhere

-Realize that you don't deal with people, you deal with lawyers and people who want to be lawyers.

-Be bullied to giving up your precious weekends

-Actually lose more money by working so much overtime because your income falls into another tax bracket and you end up being taxed more

-Find that any other job will be fairer, leave you calmer, and be less stressful than this one.

If we didn't know how bad it was here, why would we be trying so hard to warn you?

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hogan Lovells full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work, great experience. You can go places from here

Cons

Long hours, unpredictable hours. Work too much to justify staying long term

Good benefits

I have been working at Hogan Lovells full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, nice work spaces, great location

Cons

Support staff gets more and more work for less benefits. Assistants who used to work for 3 or 4 attorneys now may work for 8. And other duties as assigned seems to translate into doing someone else's project more frequently.

Please value your support staff. Make people accountable for their work and don't allow them to pawn it off on others who already have enough to do. Support staff is important too.

Hogan Lovells Photos