Hogan & Hartson

Hogan & Hartson Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hogan & Hartson Chairman; Co-Director, Corporate, Securities and Finance Practice Group J. Warren Gorrell Jr.

J. Warren Gorrell Jr.

Good firm

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, benefits (including) Subsidized cafeteria, encourage movement within departments.

ConsRaises aren't great and small annual bonus structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses to Exempt level employees

Undeserved Elitist Attitude

Counsel (Former Employee)

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time

ProsNice DC office location. Quite a bit of true cross-selling across practice groups and offices.

ConsJust about everything else fell short..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with prospective hires and laterals. You are not the firm you were 20 - or even 10 - years ago. For example, don't pretend to value "work-life" balance and then fail to promote or reward those who pursue alternative work arrangements.

Typical BigLaw firm, nothing better but nothing worse

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStellar national reputation, helps gain future jobs because it looks great on your resume. If you end up with the right partner or group you can get great work. And obviously the money is great while you can last there.

ConsHogan is what you make of it, but even more so, your luck when you get there. It's a typical soulless BigLaw firm where you are expected to make your hours and if you don't (even if it's through no fault of your own, i.e. if your group loses work and the partners you work for don't look out for you) you may get kicked to the curb. My own personal experience was that I consistently billed great hours for 4 years, got great bonuses and terrific reviews; and then one year when my hours dipped significantly because my group's work dried up suddenly there were dings on my performance and I was told I needed to find work elsewhere. Even though all the partners essentially told me that it was out of their hands, etc. Advice to young associates: take it if you can, but try to aggressively network within the firm and forge relationships with as many people as you can, to hedge your bets so that if your group's work dries up you aren't left holding the bag and looking for a job. I ended up in a much better place so it all worked out in the end, but don't believe what the Chairman tells you that Hogan is a different place where they look after their employees--because it's no different than any of their competitors. Before the Lovells merger it may have been like that, but not anymore.

It was okay...

Clerk (Former Employee)

Prosnice building
my supervisor was great

Conshiring freeze like no other
basically falling apart from the inside out

Advice to Senior Managementget it together!

An overall good place to work

Partner (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hogan & Hartson

ProsThey care about their employees.

Consnot everyone is as nice as the majority, and those who aren't as nice often wield more power.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate those who alienate others

Great place to work

Attorney (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hogan & Hartson

ProsCollegial culture, opportunity for exciting, challenging work.

ConsIt is a large place but gives one an opportunity to work with people in different offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on effective communication with the associates.

Very good firm to work for.

Conflicts Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Hogan & Hartson

ProsExcellent benefits. 3 weeks paid time off to start, 4 weeks after 2 years. Great co-workers. Excellent location in downtown DC. The support staff is very diverse. The firm has a free happy hour every friday and annual events for support staff including a support staff appreciation day, annual picnic, annual Christmas party, etc. In my department, there was a lot of opportunity to increase your salary by working overtime (time and a half).

ConsPay is lower than most comparable firms in the area for my job. The supervisors/managers receive very little management training. Communication and training within my department was poor. There was not very much room for growth in my department.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

F&A at Hogan & Hartson

Assistant Payroll Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hogan & Hartson

ProsThe jobs are stable. The benefits are good. The staff employees are good people

ConsThe management in Finance and Administration make it a hostile work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the staff. Don't believe everything you hear from your managers - see for yourself

recent attorney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hogan & Hartson

Prosflexible billing tracks permit work-life balance
Informal culture, gen. open partners

ConsWhich partners associates fall into working with has a much greater impact on your propsects for advancement than the associate's individual merit or quality of work

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fairness in distributing deals to associates in CS&F. current system is too informal, excessively relies on relationships of associates/partners.

Worked for Hogan & Hartson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hogan & Hartson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hogan & Hartson CEO J. Warren Gorrell Jr. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Hogan & Hartson employees.