Hogan & Hartson Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Hogan & Hartson Chairman; Co-Director, Corporate, Securities and Finance Practice Group J. Warren Gorrell Jr.
J. Warren Gorrell Jr.

1. Good firm

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, benefits (including) Subsidized cafeteria, encourage movement within departments.

Cons

Raises aren't great and small annual bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Bonuses to Exempt level employees

2. Undeserved Elitist Attitude

Former Employee - Counsel
    Former Employee - Counsel

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time

Pros

Nice DC office location. Quite a bit of true cross-selling across practice groups and offices.

Cons

Just about everything else fell short..

Advice to Management

Be honest with prospective hires and laterals. You are not the firm you were 20 - or even 10 - years ago. For example, don't pretend to value "work-life" balance and then fail to promote or reward those who pursue alternative work arrangements.

3. Typical BigLaw firm, nothing better but nothing worse

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hogan & Hartson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stellar national reputation, helps gain future jobs because it looks great on your resume. If you end up with the right partner or group you can get great work. And obviously the money is great while you can last there.

Cons

Hogan is what you make of it, but even more so, your luck when you get there. It's a typical soulless BigLaw firm where you are expected to make your hours and if you don't (even if it's through no fault of your own, i.e. if your group loses work and the partners you work for don't look out for you) you may get kicked to the curb. My own personal experience was that I consistently billed great hours for 4 years, got great bonuses and terrific reviews; and then one year when my hours dipped significantly because my group's work dried up suddenly there were dings on my performance and I was told I needed to find work elsewhere. Even though all the partners essentially told me that it was out of their hands, etc. Advice to young associates: take it if you can, but try to aggressively network within the firm and forge relationships with as many people as you can, to hedge your bets so that if your group's work dries up you aren't left holding the bag and looking for a job. I ended up in a much better place so it all worked out in the end, but don't believe what the Chairman tells you that Hogan is a different place where they look after their employees--because it's no different than any of their competitors. Before the Lovells merger it may have been like that, but not anymore.

5. It was okay...

Former Employee - Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Clerk in Washington, DC

Pros

nice building my supervisor was great

Cons

hiring freeze like no other basically falling apart from the inside out

Advice to Management

get it together!

6. An overall good place to work

Current Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

not everyone is as nice as the majority, and those who aren't as nice often wield more power.

Advice to Management

Eliminate those who alienate others

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

Pros

Collegial culture, opportunity for exciting, challenging work.

Cons

It is a large place but gives one an opportunity to work with people in different offices.

Advice to Management

Focus on effective communication with the associates.

8. Very good firm to work for.

Former Employee - Conflicts Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Conflicts Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits. 3 weeks paid time off to start, 4 weeks after 2 years. Great co-workers. Excellent location in downtown DC. The support staff is very diverse. The firm has a free happy hour every friday and annual events for support staff including a support staff appreciation day, annual picnic, annual Christmas party, etc. In my department, there was a lot of opportunity to increase your salary by working overtime (time and a half).

Cons

Pay is lower than most comparable firms in the area for my job. The supervisors/managers receive very little management training. Communication and training within my department was poor. There was not very much room for growth in my department.

Advice to Management

none.

9. F&A at Hogan & Hartson

Current Employee - Assistant Payroll Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Payroll Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The jobs are stable. The benefits are good. The staff employees are good people

Cons

The management in Finance and Administration make it a hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Get to know the staff. Don't believe everything you hear from your managers - see for yourself

10. recent attorney

Pros

flexible billing tracks permit work-life balance Informal culture, gen. open partners

Cons

Which partners associates fall into working with has a much greater impact on your propsects for advancement than the associate's individual merit or quality of work

Advice to Management

More fairness in distributing deals to associates in CS&F. current system is too informal, excessively relies on relationships of associates/partners.

RSS Feed </> Embed