Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors(in 28 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals(in 49 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits(in 26 reviews)

Just plain bad. Everyday is emotionally exhausted.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsVery little / just benefits

ConsMicro managed, threatened, too many conference calls, run down buildings, no support, too many hours, no respect, no praise, consistent change, No decent raises always 2%, it's a burn out job! You have to keep residents no matter what even if they do not belong anymore due to illness. It's all about occupancy and cold calling. Management requires the sales staff to make up numbers and tours and they spend more time on conference calls than getting the job done. Community managers are pressured consistently. Nothing is ever good enough. Just emotionally exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt does not matter they do not listen and all have huge egos. What they should do is get new upper management and empower the community management. Let them run the business and stop with every little thing needs approval. It's not working. Manage through motivation not threats!!! You have lost some really quality people due to your ignorance.

Just check the turnover rate...enough said...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeniors are great..some great staff

Constoo many to list..its all about the bottom line...MONEY...cuts to shave budget..staff overworked...upper management reaping the benefits..food budget for residents is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth...

bad to worse

Co-Manager (Current Employee) Hermitage, PA

Prosthe residents that I have contact with on a daily basis, Serving coffee at each meal and taking the time to talk to each and everyone of them, it has a personnel touch for me

ConsWorking with someone who doesn't play by the rules can be frustrating, but it's worse when your boss breaks the rules. Working with a boss who doesn't adhere to company standards, regulations or guidelines creates uncertainty about job security and calls into question the integrity of the person designated as my leader. It makes me wonder if the companies selection process is effective for choosing supervisors and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe last thing I want to do and the least that I am qualified to do is come in and say, you, your job is BS, while you, you’re okay.
    This by no means is an easy issue for me to comment on. Because what I have observed and dealing with is the difficult issue of this culture. What culture you might ask? Well for me culture is the DNA that drives the behavior of the organization and its people. In other words: How people do things around here when no one is looking. From branding to internal discipline and ethics, culture influences attitudes and behaviors in every aspect.
    In contemplating an apparently endless growth of responsibilities as being a co-manager, I came to the conclusion that this is one possible vision of hell, populated by a collection of individuals who are spending the bulk of their time working on mindless task and mastering the art of busyness.
    In the few minutes it takes to read this, chances are you'll pause to check your phone, answer a text. Switch to your desktop to read an email from the boss's assistant, glance at Facebook or Twitter messages popping up in the corner of your screen. Off-screen, crosstalk about a colleague's teenager might lure you away, or a co-worker may stop by your desk for a quick question.
    My typical workday seems custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.
    Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New to the Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lake Oswego, OR

ProsThe orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

ConsThere is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

Would not recommend working for Holiday

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCommunity residents are great. Travel perk is good if you get the time off to get out of town.

ConsMany community management teams don't get along. Difficult work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate and district management doesn't know what is going on at the regional level. Need to visit dysfunctional regional teams more.

Conflicted Management

Community Bus Driver (Current Employee)

ProsThe clients are wonderful, and have great stories to tell.

ConsManagement has very little people skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementClients are the number one priority. They pay your salary. Pay attention to them.

When the Colson's sold the company to Fortress, the "holiday touch" to residents and employees vanished like the wind.

Executive Chef (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsBenefits, bonding with residents and families

ConsBeing a salaried employee they expect you to work whatever hours it takes, no recognition from company or on site management. On site managers to busy trying to fire the next staff member. I worked for Holiday for 13 years and got the boot because no manager had guts to stab my front...they chose my back...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bringing in on site managers that have no clue how to manage a community nor the staff within it. Hire people with skills and people skills

They say one thing and do another

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove working with seniors and problem solving with them. Great people at the community to work with.

ConsCompany expects too much from on-site management teams and runs them down. There was such high turn over of management that residents were unhappy and always wanted to know what was going on. Upper management micromanaged onsite team to the point of discouragement and fear of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees with positive things instead of fear. Micromanagement causes self doubt and lack of confidence. "Holiday Touch" just seems to be something you say and not something you really mean, especially to the residents. Its all about the almighty dollar and not the residents.

Not impressed.

Executive Chef (Current Employee)

Prosresidents are great. love talking with them on a daily basis listening to all their amazing stories.

ConsLittle to no communication between the 2 sets of live in married managers. extremely high turnover rate for management and employees in general. most co-managers last about 3-9 months before resigning. About the same for building managers. Mostly due to the constant pressure from the sales team. It seems as if that is the companies only aim. we just had 5 sets of managers quit in our region in the past 2 weeks!

The Pay for housekeeping,serving, and hourly kitchen staff is so low that you are resorted to hiring staff with little experience and the ones that have experience don't stick around long because of the constant bombardment of micromanagement from regional down to building management

....OH AND GET THIS... whether your an hourly employee or salary you can never get a raise!!! Thats right! What rate You are hired in as is the rate that you stay for your entire employment. The companies response to my complaints is that "we do give out raises....cost of living raises." My cost of living raise last year was .03 cents. WOW. The only exception for this is if you change jobs say from dishwasher to prep cook, then you would possibly get a raise in pay. (There is only 4 positions in the kitchen: cook sous chef dishwasher and sometimes a prep cook) Generally employees are treated as liabilities as apposed to assets for the company.

If you enjoy a consistent beat down and a click-ish, cool kids mentality, join in the fun!

ProsMeeting seniors and families who truly have a need and helping them to navigate thru the move process.

ConsSenior leadership is out for themselves. Period. No direction, no training, NO INTEGRITY! Culture is dog eat dog. I'm ALL for making a buck but not at the expense of my integrity or wildly unbalanced work/play ethic. They don't care who goes or stays. It's a turn and burn culture with the mind set that they'll just put someone else in the role if things don't work out. When I started with company I trained with 6 people in my role. Only one of them is left. That was less than a year ago.............

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite sure they have no interest in my advice..... I tried that once, just before I resigned.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!