Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 25 reviews
  • "It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 46 reviews
  • "You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

SAD TO LEAVE

Portland, OR

ProsThe residents and friendships we made with both staff and residents.......

ConsEverything, they pit all staff against everyone.....

Advice to Senior ManagementSell

Co-Manager

Co-Manager (Couple) (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsEnjoyed our time with the residents!

ConsDisorganization was rampant at regional level and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop misrepresenting what the Co-Manager and Manager jobs involve. The expectation and hours expected reach far beyond anything discussed throughout the hiring process.

The Holiday Touch is NEVER given to employers

Sales Leader (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI have thought very long and hard about what to put in the "Pros" area... The residents are the only highlight from this company...

ConsI have been employed with Holiday for over a year now, and I have NEVER worked for a WORSE company THAN Holiday Retirement... No Support from upper management ( Regional Team, District Team ) they are always questioning Why? When? They believe they ALL have the answers and yet I have never seen one of them jump in and help a community... If your community is low in census they will show up and sit on their computers and phones... Hey Regional Team if you have the answers and you think you can sale; it would be nice for you to actually sale... But criticizing and belittling you in front of your peers is the way to go... 5 conference calls in a regular day is the norm and than they wonder why you don't have tours or move ins... Mangers for the community are run ragged, expected to work non stop... Sales Leaders are PRESSURED TO THE MAX, if you like being threaten with your job on a weekly basic this is the job for you...

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Holiday Retirement,

Prices are to high for the quality-of-life you have for your residents... You can't ask Managers and Sales Leaders to perform miracles... And yet you do on a daily basis... Give your community support and the tools they need to make Holiday shine, but you have a bunch of "Corp Bosses" making changes and beating people up instead of supporting them... Here's a "NEWS FLASH" without HAPPY employees you don't get that big bonus check... REMEMBER it's the employees that make and give that so called Holiday Touch, the way you treat your employees is a joke... I would never recommend a Holiday Community and I would never move a family member in one...

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They take 1st and 2nd place for worst company

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsResidents and staff and a fair bonus system

ConsMake a list of everything you would not do as a company and this will be the foundation of Holiday. It is hard to believe that a company can exist like this. Maybe they cant and that is why they are selling off communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo need they haven't listened to any of the advise that everyone else has suggested. This many professional people can't be that far off base. After having met Kai before his promotion i feel bad for him as I believe he would like to do things right.

OPPORTUNITY LOST!!!

Community Manager (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsDefinately the residents and their stories. Helping families and loved ones through what can be a difficult time.

ConsA business model that has been perverted by wallstreet. The focus is occupancy only. No regard for onsite managers and staff. Regional and corporate support consists of "who is moving in by 5pm wednesday?" or you need 5 more move ins by next week. I have friends driven to ill health by the stress from regionals also desparate to get their bonus or to just keep a job. Considering a job at Holiday? ask yourself, why is there such a widespread "blitz" of advertising for filling positions nationwide? You only need to blanket or saturate advertising if you cannot hire and RETAIN your employees. These jobs used to be filled by word of mouth and recomendation. There are many communities with one set of managers and several without any onsite teams! Do your own research online before jumping on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the business model, staff and support from the top down. Your onsite staff is the key to success. Not dividends to your investors. Instead of focusing on a resident living 34 months and generating $255,000 of income, focus on making every day a great day!

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAlmost none, certainly not on the company side. If you're lucky to work in a good location, you will find wonderful clients & congenial (if somewhat overworked, over-regulated & desperately underpaid) colleagues.

ConsEverything, from their attitude toward their clients to the attitude towards staff. This business, which is SUPPOSED to be about taking care of older people is really nothing but sell, sell, sell.... and generally speaking selling something that's wrong for the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this business to someone who actually wants to do what you say you do.

Run away -- dont even walk towards this company

Community Manager (Current Employee)
    Grand Junction, CO

ProsResidents are great. Too bad they are not loved by corporate. Apt is "OK" - nothing to brag about. You don't use much gas in your car. No need to purchase food.

ConsLong Hours -- by the time you add up the hours and what you are getting paid -- it is less than min wage. Upper management seems to think they know everything and how each building is to be treated the same. They don't realize each part of the country is very different --even in their own region.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay "Thank you" once in awhile. That goes along way instead of just demanding everything all the time. We are people too and have had corporate careers and sucessful businesses. Some of our doing this for the passion of working with older people.

Impressive company!

Ssl (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThis has been a great company for career growth. Management works with you to see your potential.

ConsLong hours, as expected with career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue showing support to each employee.

Unrealistic expectations with too few hours to do an effective job.

Enrichment Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThe wonderful seniors you work with

ConsThe regional and cooporate management have unrealistic expectations, especially with insuffient hours allowed. This job is only 32 hours, yet you are expected to do 40-60 hours of work a week. That is if you really care about the residents. All they seem to care about is getting people in the door, not necessarily keeping residents or staff in place or happy. If you aren't the one signing the contracts with new residents, your dept is considered an expense, yet you are blamed if the occupancy isn't at 100%.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about trying to keep good employees by actually treating them with respect and giving them the tools they need to do their jobs. I'm sure it would be much cheaper to retain qualified employees than always recruiting and training new people every few months. If you don't start caring about the people in a people business, you will loose business.

Deeply concerned about management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location. Live amongst good friends. Three great meals a day. Weekly housekeeping service. Activities daily. Offering different entertainers on occasions. Shuttle bus rides to various locations like the doctor, shops and church.

ConsRead "advice to management" below.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs someone who has visited close friends living at the Carson Plaza in Nevada and now has an aunt living at Sky Peaks, also in Nevada; I can honestly say that Holiday has no idea how to hire properly suited people for management.
    A couple of years ago at Carson Plaza I encountered the co-manager Casy on a few occasions. I found her to be quite and scattered, unprofessional and a bit rude. I later heard of the antics that she pulled with some of the residents as well as some employees. As well her "long vacation" that she took alone for several weeks. Hearsay I know. But nonetheless, a bit concerning.
     Imagine my surprise when learned that she and her husband were the managers where my aunt now resides. She and her husband were not only transferred but promoted to community managers!
    Over the past months I've heard about and have seen some "interesting" behavior from this woman. I usually visit between lunch and dinner and I'll sometimes stay for a meal. I've gotten to know quite a few of the residents and even some employees. They are great people all around.
    However, I cannot ignore the fact that this woman is clearly off balance and should NOT be in charge of an entire building of elderly people or a a large staff.
    For starters, during meals she seems scattered and erratic. She appears to be hounding the servers, yet not helping. Only scrutinizing and harassing. In the way and talking down to them.
    Apparently she harasses the housekeepers so much that half the week they go home in tears. Telling them they need to "do what it takes to get the job done." Implying that they need to work off the clock to complete their daily tasks.
    I have it on good authority that most of the staff fears her and worry for their jobs. The phrase "hostile work environment" is used quite frequently.
    Apparently her "extra long vacations" aren't doing the trick. Perhaps a job that's more solitary would be better suited for Casey. A job with less "triggers"

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 365 reviews posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.