Holiday Retirement Reviews

461 reviews filtered by
2.0
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Very rewarding work

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent processes, very well managed, great work environment

Cons

Very physically demanding. Must pour coffee, clean up messes, wash dishes, fill in when ever someone is out. Not a typical community management job.
    Lots of turnover in senior management.
    No advancement opportunities do not hire from within.

Love the open communication with the president... has a email that you can ask him any question.
    May be helpful to make the community management job less physical and more focus on the overall picture.
    Have a path of hiring from within, would really build moral and may decrease turnover.

Mar 4, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working for Holiday. It is no small task to be a community manager, and we appreciate your hard work. Your feedback about improving the ... More

2. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with wonderful seniors helping change their lives

Cons

Long hours. Lack of support from upper management. Managers that lie and miss treat residents. Constant change of pay structure

listen to your employees. Visit the communities more that once every 6 months.

current EC

Current Employee - Community EC
    Current Employee - Community EC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for the company for almost 2 years as an enrichment coordinator and I adore my time with the residents! It is a gift to come to work everyday knowing that my job is to bring joy. And I am pretty good at it. The hours are pretty flexible which works well with a home life. I feel that for the job I do I get paid fairly well... though who doesn't want more?

Cons

Allowing the EC only 32 hours is ridiculous. My position is what keeps the back door closed. A family environment is promoted (and certainly what sells our community since the carpet is old, the paint is old, the furniture is old, and the higher ups have no interest in fixing it), but the salaried employees are so busy on conference calls, and sales that they don't have anytime at all to spend loving on these amazing people. What I do may seem superficial but I assure you it isn't. When I come in after two days off I am told I am never allowed to leave again. I end up having to hand off events and activities to residents and letting them get done at a substandard level to stay within my hours. None of which makes since to me since that extra 8 hours a week would not be much of an investment in the long run. The other con I have noticed is a micro managing regional management. If we have been given budgets why do we have to run every expenditure past the RD? I am perfectly capable of staying in a budget, and much time is wasted approving every 50 dollars I need to spend.

let up on the control. if you have hired a good team give themselves a chance to prove their worth. Realize that the "back door" is just as important as sales. If we manage to retain the happy residents then the building will stay full. There is no point pushing for sales and then making it impossible to keep the ones we have.

Commitment and High Energy Needed

Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity to serve seniors.

Cons

On call 24 hours, long hours, constant change to goals, company's expectations to meet sales calls while managing residents and daily tasks difficult. Asked almost to achieve the impossible.

Re-organize upper management structure allow more personnel for running the job site. Have less managers and add an office assistant/receptionist to answers phone etc. ie.

Mar 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We recognize your frustration and will look into ways to improve upon the suggestions you've provided. It's nice to hear you are taking ... More

6. Loved the job and the residents.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with the residents is fulfilling. It feels great to add to their enjoyment of life.

Cons

Upper management is chaotic, disorganized and have no focus.

Get someone that knows how to manage.

Overwhelming, rewarding, exhausting and totally unrealistic!

Current Employee - Community Lead
    Current Employee - Community Lead

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (more than 5 years)

Pros

Residents, Associates and working with your spouse ! Gives you an opportunity to save for your retirement. However you will never be able to Live at a Holiday Community in your future !!. This has to be your committed Lifestyle ! Be willing to be their day in and day out for your Community. We love all the challenges and opportunity we have, but need a VACATION....

Cons

There is NO work life balance. When and IF you get time off you will be absolutely exhausted. Slave labor at best.
    You are an Exempt employee therefore 24/7 is a reality. As every Community is understaffed and FLEX managers are worthless.. as they only pour Coffee .. and have some slide the key under the door so they can have free time. While you have to stay available 24/7 to help protect your residents. Take the Salary divided by hours and you make 1/2 of minimum wage. But Federal Wage and Hour can not protect you. Sales Sales Sales.. while residents are moving out the back door because they can not get the attention they deserve....
    Our Communities are dated... can not get stained worn carpet replaced. It is very embarrassing to tour folks who say "what wrong with this flooring" .. it is too filthy for my MOM.
    A lot of NEW Competition arriving in our area ... we need to get with it and give our residents a HOME they can brag about and show off.. the Referrals will come. Instead if a referral folks at us and down the road they convince their friend to join them elsewhere , cleaner, updated 21st century...
    As the 70-80's boomers etc see even no Internet they laugh. So much needs improvement.. Mangers need RESPECT and more realistic hours and pay.

PLEASE Listen... have the RD's say more than " We are here to support you" .. but we can't. Our hands are tied.
    Run the business .... but not without MY Approval ! Work on a way to be certain Managers get their time OFF. We have been unable to have more than 2 days off at a time in 3+ Years. We earn VAC but a every time we plan to
    take a week... all hell breaks loose and it is canceled.

Mar 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to highlight all the positive benefits that Holiday provides to our associates. We work hard to make sure our employees are cared for the same way we care for our ... More

Bogus 'Bonus Plan'

Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents. The various aspects of the job that allow you to learn. Making a difference. -

Cons

Working for a bonus that is paid out in the following month. Meaning - you do the work to secure the new leases, however, if you are not there when the bonus is paid out - your out of luck. Works totally in Holiday's favor as many of their policies do.

Pay the bonuses that your employees EARN. If an employee leaves on good terms with the company, why penalize them? The bonus plan is unfair and needs to be corrected.

Bad Regional Team

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seniors are the only reason. Could be a great company if they went back to the values are 2008

Cons

Trying to run your community and care for your residents and having NO support from your regional "team". Region 12 in NC has had its share if issues in the past, but now its worse. The inexperience of the current regional team shows but no one from above is noticing or trying to correct the issues. They hire an AMD who you never see and a regional chef who hires less than adequate " cooks". Half can't even cook but are paid quite well to do so. The new RDS is great at bombarding us with conference calls and emails but won't take the time to help those communities in need but its kind of hard living 5 states away and relying on a weak sales leader from a community that has not grown at all since she arrived at that community. Then there's the RD. No experience in senior housing or anything to do with this industry but some how was better than any current employee looking to move up. Thanks for making employees think you promote from within. Perhaps if this RD focused on her job and not the RDS the management teams would receive the support we need. I wonder how long the powers above will allow this region to lay stagnent

Wake up. Hold your people accountable. If you are not going to promote from within then you need to make damn sure the person or people you hire have experience and not just a pulse and a padded resume'

Sales, Sales and more Sales

Current Employee - Community Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working and living with the residents is rewarding. Being part of a big family has rewards that you cannot put a $ sign. Working at the community level is not just a "job" but a calling. Many new co-mangers leave because they find that it is much more than and 8 - 5 position.

Cons

Sales is the number one aspect to the job. It is all consuming and everything else is secondary. Taking care of the residents can happen only if you complete all of the sales aspect. They say take care of the residents, but finding the real time is a different matter. If we could spend time with the residents, we would have more residents referrals. It is hard to spend time with the residents when most of your time is consumed by sales.

Staff sufficiently so manager do not have to spend so much time on sales. Stop making flavor of the week changes. Every week is a new gimmick for new sales. The company wants quality events as tour hooks, but the funds are not in the budget to achieve this.

Mar 4, 2015Human Resources Representative

We’re glad you are so passionate about working with the residents. Our leadership development programs are designed to help navigate changes. Have you thought about working with your leader to ... More

A wonderful concept that is poorly executed.

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is a rewarding experience when you get to help residents live a gracious lifestyle, and help employees be successful in their jobs.

Cons

The training is sales driven, when the training managers need is in HR, budget balancing, employee training, and being able to step in the shoes of any employee who doesn't show up. Sales leaders need to do their jobs so managers can effectively get their work done and be able to take their much needed time off.

Screen the people you hire so you have quality people who can do the job well. Remember that managers are not just managing one area, they manage multiple departments, and if someone doesn't show up, they have to fill in to keep things going, and still meet sales goals. Make the expectations for managers more realistic, and follow the same guidelines with them that they are expected to follow with employees...encourage, train, counsel and guide them and make them successful, and stop the turn over. That is more cost effective than constantly hiring new managers. I think if you had managers working hourly instead of salary, you would be appalled at how many hours they actually work. I would suggest having 3 management teams instead of only 2. In the long run, it would stop burnout and be more cost effective.

Holiday Retirement Photos