Holiday Retirement

Updated August 20, 2014

1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

Rewarding, Diversified, Exhausting, Mental stress !

Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The fact that our Residents depend on us ! We are their family, friend, caretakers and neighbors. The benefits are good. Expenses minimal, great for saving for future. Our associates are the BEST ! They as well really CARE for the residents. Oregon upper management and regional overall try to help. The Community management TEAMS are best if they cooperate with one another.

Cons

The mental strain every day being pulled like taffy !! The overall expectation for the MANAGERS is really some days very overwhelming. The 50+ hour work weeks is hard on the body and soul ! By the time you may get a day off you collapse. There need t be a better work life balance. Management teams should have like the EMS or Firefighters have 48 on 48 off and rotate or 3 days on 3 days off. We are being asked to do an Associate appreciation week this month.?? When does Regional or Corp. appreciate the MANAGEMENT Teams ?? Teams used to have GETAWAY certificates ??? Now we at least can recognize our staff, with the budget for employee recognition ... but when do we get even a pat on the back ? !
    We love what we do and do a 110% effort each and every day. However it does take a toll on our health and well being as most management teams are NOT spring chickens.
    Our Regional teams is great! However, most days they are clueless as to what really goes on in a day, in the life of the front line CMT.

Reward the TOP Teams better... Compensate better to retain the professional teams. Require your REGIONAL TEAMS to be more hands on in each and every Community not just the poor performing locations. The GOOD Communities NEED some recognition. We need more Regional round tables with other Managers to share our successes and discuss our challenges at least one per quarter. Not just sales meeting but operational needs. The whole Sales/Operations will be more effective and retention of Happy Residents too.

Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

I personally enjoy most residents and most staff. I also enjoy working with my spouse. I am a very positive person and also really enjoy the sales side including making calls and tours. You can save a lot of money/pay off debts as there are almost no expenses: housing, utilities, meals, housekeeping provided...and you walk to work (no driving or weather).

Cons

As a manager; you will clean up after residents (imagine the worst)! You will have to serve and bus tables when staff are late or no-shows. You will make lots of phone calls (marketing). You will deal with lazy fellow managers. Some managers are so obese or unable to do the job that you will be doing their work also. You will have to do reports and be on conferance calls multiple times per day. Your training will not prepare you for all this happening to you. Imagine having a server not show up for lunch on Saturday (common occurrence). You are serving, your spouse/partner is pouring coffee (holiday touch), the phone is ringing (no receptionist), a family walks in and wants to take a tour and the emergency system sounds (a resident needs you in their apartment). You finally get through all this and a resident comes in to say a resident has had diarrhea in the elevetor. You get to clean it up (no help on weekends). Oh, yea, don't forget to get back in the office and make those marketing calls and be on the regional conference call. This has happend to us several times with variations. If you can handle this, this is the job for you!!

I have no advise as this is the job and no one is willing to change it from above.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wish I had a better first job experience.

Former Employee - Server  in  Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

Could've been great

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

Pros

Like working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

Cons

To many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

Pros

Serving the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

Cons

Micromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Provide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.

Sucks the life out of you

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Working around the wonderful residents. They provide housing for management team so you can save some money.

Cons

Some residents can be very mean, you are pushed to the end of your ability and that's still not enough all the while it is made clear to you that you can be replaced. Total secrecy on matters that are important to you. General air of pitting one against the other while singing the "team spirit song". Unbearably long hours but since managers are "salaried" you get no overtime and have to cover for others that are hourly so there is no overtime.

Go back to the basics of how Holiday was founded. Appreciate your employees and your residents.

If there were a zero stars rating this company would get it.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR

Pros

Having a positive impact on the lives of seniors by helping ease the transition from living at home to living in a retirement community.

Cons

This company has no heart or soul! It chews up and spits out employees at an unbelievable rate and has little regard for the concerns of its residents. If you can get the recruiter to identify the company prior to the second interview - DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CONTINUE THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Would not waste my breath.

customer service nonexistent

Current Employee - Resident  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

pretty buildings and good food

Cons

basically property managers, not people managers. They say it's your home, but really it's their home and even tell you what dress code is acceptable for the residents.

remember who's paying the bills. retirees that have government pensions for the most part. population on the up and coming cannot afford the $4000/month rent.

Nightmare is finally finished

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Personal relationships with residents developed over years. Priceless friendships.

Cons

Can't imagine a more incompetent senior management team from the top down through regionals of every description. Employment laws, federal and state are ignored, violated, mocked. Health and safety of residents and employees are in the policies and proceedures then ignored in the pursuit of profit. Residents are treated like misbehaving children if they complain or ask for anything. Once they sign on they are considered captive property. They are referred to as "revenue units". Holiday does not value employees. They are treated like paper towels. Use them to clean up a mess...toss them out. There is always another desperate prospect waiting to be hired. If you are unemployed, broke, homeless, desperate then this is the job for you. Work until you can escape with some cash.

This section is pointless. Management is accomplishing exactly what they intend to accomplish. Hire employees who are desperate, willing to be abused and easily replaced if they complain or figure out the system. Regional managers rarely last more than a year. They burn out or blow out. For community managers, your goal is to survive your current regional manager. Each time you do that, you potentially get another year.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!