Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors(in 28 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals(in 49 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits(in 26 reviews)

Could've been great

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsLike working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

ConsTo many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!

Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsServing the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

ConsMicromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.

Sucks the life out of you

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWorking around the wonderful residents. They provide housing for management team so you can save some money.

ConsSome residents can be very mean, you are pushed to the end of your ability and that's still not enough all the while it is made clear to you that you can be replaced. Total secrecy on matters that are important to you. General air of pitting one against the other while singing the "team spirit song". Unbearably long hours but since managers are "salaried" you get no overtime and have to cover for others that are hourly so there is no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics of how Holiday was founded. Appreciate your employees and your residents.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing company with great values

ProsThe company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

ConsThe company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

Worst company I've worked for in 30 years--micromanagement at its worst!

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors. It's a nice product and good value. Good health plan.

ConsAs a sales professional with degrees and years of health care experience, I've never been treated so poorly. You spend 1/4 of the day telling three supervisors the same thing. There are one-on-one coaching calls, reporting calls, a model of selling that sometimes make me feel like I'm in the used car business. Supervisors think they have all the answers. But the bottom line is family and residents make up their mind in their own time, not Holiday time. Difficult to take holidays off when you work in a community. Lots of management turnover and personality issues. Employees are not value and respected even though we all give the best to our residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and value your employees. It's good business sense and reducing turnover saves money. Employees feel so little value--even lead community managers and co-managers. Sales leaders are monitored and beaten up on a consistent basis. Many managers are leaving for career with Hawthorne because they feel the old Holiday management run a more effective organization. In my entire 30 year career, I've never worked so many hours for so little pay. Commissions were reduced in company's favor. How are employees ever going to feel valued? The company is nothing without its managers and staff.

long hours

Proslove the residents and the loction

Conshate the hours and the pay

Never fully staffed made the hours seem unending

Co Manager (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsWe found that working with the seniors was great. There was different things to do different days, not boring.

ConsNever fully staffed so could barely have any time off. Other managers didn't share the on call duties. Was more of a nursing home, rather than "independent living".

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to get relief managers if there isn't 2 sets of managers to run things. Less meetings, more hands on activities.

Worst experience of my life

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with seniors and making them happy.

ConsThis company is run by people who have no knowledge of senior living nor do they care. All they care about is money. They treat their employees horribly with pressure and intimidation. They know how badly they treat people and don't care. Upper management is a joke. I saw a lot of drunken partying by upper management and some real bad examples, but this is what they do best. Their are no morals or ethics and no one cares about the residents. The pressure they put on the sales people borders on abuse and I only hope that no one is desperate enough to take a job with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice. They don't care.

Absolute hell.hole.,worst job

ProsNone, this is the worst job ever

ConsCutting hours and pay. No caring for residents. Just want the seniors money. Run,don't walk.away.Worst job in 40 years of working.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire area managers and marketers. Only care about themselves.

if you are a chef run dont walk from this hell place

Executive Chef (Former Employee) Macon, GA

Prosthe empoylees are good and the staff is good if you care

Consthey work you 80 hrs a week and you are just a cook not a chef they tell you what to cook and you better be on budget if you go over you hear about it from them they come in and tell you when and how to do your job and the chef from corp. all full of them selfs they have you thinking you dont know what your doing so run dont walk from this hell hole

Advice to Senior Managementlet the chef be the chef and give them a 2014 budget to work with when i was there i had 3.45 for three meals to feed them with and was all ways over the budget but i did not care the resident came frist so i cooked ehat they like not what was in the book to cook the cook book was in the office and i made my own menu and they loved it till i got tierd of the bullt and ran from the job

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!