Holiday Retirement Reviews

Reset
2.2
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • Working with seniors can be very rewarding (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management screaming at you (in 57 reviews)

• The Community Managers book bogus tours to get the RSL off their back which makes the CSL numbers look bad (in 35 reviews)

1. Holiday

Former Employee - Holiday Team Member in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Holiday Team Member in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros to working for holiday. First of all the industry that you get to work in is great because they help give people a better quality of living which is a blessing to be a part of. They love to reward the employees for helping Holiday Retirement continue to be the leader in the industry which makes them so successful. Everybody that works at Holiday are friendly and helpful people and its very easy to make friends with the many wonderful people that work their. The employees are more like a family than an employer and co-worker relationship and are dedicated to working together to make sure they provide the best service possible to the customers and have as much fun as they can doing it. They have wonderful incentives and benefits and their is plenty of room for growth if you stick with them. They like to hire within whenever possible to give people opportunities to advance their career. I am so happy I got to be a part of such a wonderful team and a company. My time working at holiday retirement will be greatly missed, but all good things must come to an end at some point. I would highly recommend if you get the opportunity to work for them that you take it, you wont be disappointed.

Cons

There are none really. Every company has things that they must deal with that can be conceived as negative but Holiday does the best they can to make sure that they are listening to the employees. They have an employee relations department to make sure that your voice is heard and you are not alone. They want everyone to work together as a team in as positive environment. Most of the time employees are the one to blame for the negative things that happen, not Holiday Retirement themselves. They certainly do a great job at trying to communicate with the employees and staff so that any issues are resolved in a respectful and prompt manner if you communicate with them. Hard work is a part of working for any company but Holiday does a great job at rewarding the hard work and dedication of its employees.

Advice to Management

Love your job no matter how stressful it gets because this company is a wonderful place to work.

2. time well spent

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR

Pros

Seniors are awesome. Truly "the greatest generation"

Cons

Corporate profits supersede senior needs

Advice to Management

love seniors

Corporations are like that...but thanks for commenting

Current Employee - CMT
    Current Employee - CMT

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working with your spouse; loving your residents; encouraging your staff; every now and then you can actually make a difference in a seniior's life, especially those whose families are MIA-people need people; it's nice to see Holiday is actually responding to Glassdoor comments.

Cons

corporate crapolla-too many people@home office mandating unrealistic procedures & policies defeating the purpose of the "Holiday Touch". Home Office dictates high ideals & intentions, but there is no accountability for follow-through on the execution of these policies

Advice to Management

Streamline the procedural structure to a realistic level with consistent accountability. Spend less on hiring NEW people & more on KEEPING the ones you have worth a darn. Stop hiring idiots.

Aug 31, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We are always looking for feedback to improve our processes and procedures, and we certainly will look into your suggestion. If you have further feedback we encourage you to share with your ... More

2nd job

Current Employee - Food Server in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a Great wage Also you'll receive Flexible hours And your you'll have Short shifts

Cons

You will get Minimal hours (5-15) And they have an Unrealistic timeline that in my building personally can't be met every service.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Holiday Retirement offers a lot of different career opportunities for both full and part-time associates. We're glad you're enjoying working here.

6. Good

Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Detroit, MI

Pros

They have yearly raises and will work with college schedules. The staff at my location is great. You must love working with people especially elderly.

Cons

Most jobs here require you to work nights and weekends.peoblems with short staff can make it difficult to get time off.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

There is always ways to find time off, and we believe time away from work is a valuable way to increase performance and engagement. We ask associates to work with their scheduling supervisor plan ... More

7. Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to holiday after working over 20 years in hospitality. I enjoy working with the seniors and seeing their expressions when helping them. it's like being in their extended family.

Cons

I have been having issues with my benefits. Hopefully my management /corporate team will do what's right.

Advice to Management

I don't know how the other holiday properties run but my management team is the best. They go out of their way to take care of our residents and the employees.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We love hearing that you work in a well-run community. We suggest that your recognize your leadership through your area maintenance director, and by reaching out to your regional director. As an ... More

Trust the bad reviews

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We went through the economic downturn, lost jobs, and this was a job that both spouses could work at together.

Cons

As co-managers, we always felt like we were cheating the families. Corporate was Always hounding us to make calls, meet deadlines & up quotas. We are educated seasoned adults with excellent work ethics and caring people. Corporate should treat people accordingly. Told to Promise everything, deliver nothing. Residents were nice, but a long way from independant. Lots of late nights and middle of night emergencies to attend to people & back on duty the next day. Totally understaffed & low pay for the work in every department! Those "chef prepaered meals" were unhealthy, low-cost, high calorie meals prepared by people who were line cooks, not chefs. The company purposefully moved us away from our adult children, even though there were openings within 30 minutes of our home. We later discovered it was so we could "focus" on the job. Rediculously long hours - 8am to 9:30 for 5 days a week and then on call all those nights as well. You will never recover that time- We only lasted a year - longest year of my life!! If your thinking of working here - Run, run away - Read the internet - there are a ton of reviews & many sites

Advice to Management

It's a corporate nightmare. How can they fix that? Try to spend more than seventy cents per day, per person on decent food for these people.

Aug 31, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

As an organization who serves more that 30,000 seniors it is our responsibility to maintain good financial health by continuing to drive occupancy. The more seniors we serve the better services and ... More

Believe these reviews it's the truth!

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We loved the wonderful residents!

Cons

When employees tell you it's an aweful place to work BELIEVE IT!!!! This company could care less about their employees, and even less about the residents! Just make sure you have all the apartments full at all times or else you get harassed and our RD would swear at us! UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Value people. ALL PEOPLE!!!!!

RUN away from this very poorly managed company!

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a caring person who enjoys working with Seniors, it was very rewarding to work with the Senior population as well as those staff members who also cared about treating our Seniors with Respect and Dignity.

Cons

Believe all of these reviews on Glassdoor! It makes me so angry to see these "false" caring Human Resource responses to these reviews because this company does not care about their employees nor how our Seniors are now feeling like they no longer matter in our communities. As a Sales Leader, there is so much micro-management and bogus sales goals that it is a miracle if one lasts 6 months in this position. Constant Regional Sales & Operations position turnover. Constant Community Manager turnover. Once a building is sold to an investor, Holiday is then only interested in making money for the new building owner. It is sad when you have to BEG for new carpet or paint in an apartment that will be available for rent to a Senior at a much higher rent rate than two months ago. Constant budget cuts drastically affect your Marketing & Outreach efforts but your sales goals are still increased each month making it impossible to be effective. For the past four years, our Region did not promote any of the several deserving Sales Leaders which shows a lack of Leadership and Development for internal advancement. Sales Leaders are constantly harassed with phone calls, emails and repetitive reports to account for every minute of their day. The bonus plan changed so often that I had no idea what I was actually getting paid for at month's end. The Sales Leader's hands are now tied so they can't offer any incentives or price changes for a fluctuating market and increasing numbers of competitor facilities. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is "RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN" from this company!

Advice to Management

None. They could care less what anyone has to say about making this company a better place to work and live.

A pitiful outfit - the bottom line is truly the bottom line

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Seattle, WA

Pros

Residents - they're wonderful people. That's why we all wanted to work there in the first place.

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked there for less than a year, and I quit with no other job lined up (first time EVER I've done that). Everyday I came home, I felt like I had to shower - it's just a dirty, disgusting place to work. It's not just my experience, but in touching base with my entire training class, it's the same stories, over and over and over. The corporate office says one thing, which is pure garbage of course, and then reality out in the field from one community to another community is a FAR different version. There's no work/life balance. Upper management has the same old management mentality. Micromanage! That's what incompetent managers to so they can try and save their butts to their supervisors. The problem is that the various layers of management are simply incompetent. They recruit out of the hotel industry for the management - STUPID MOVE YOU IDIOTS. The senior community industry is FAR different from the hotel industry. If you don't realize that, then you're dumber than I think - and trust me, I think you're REALLY dumb. The reason I quit is because I was pressured big time to move in anyone with a heartbeat. It didn't matter what level of care that they need. The RD would say 'we'll figure it out once they move in'. My God, how pathetic. I flat out told one family of a 90 year old retired engineer who was very frail and in no way should be living in an independent level of care community, that placing your Dad here would be a huge disservice to him. The only reason that they were considering it was because of cost of course. They ended up placing him in an AL, which was certainly a step in the right direction, and I told them that he may need a higher level of care than that. Well, management heard my story about that 'lead' and you know what hit the fan. I told them 'it was the right thing to do'. He was livid. I knew right then that I had to get the heck out. And please, don't think that this is an isolated case of this type of stuff going. I can promise you that it is the absolute truth and it's absolutely sickening and disgusting that companies would take advantage of seniors that are vulnerable like that just for the almighty $$.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to fool anyone. You keep on telling yourselves that this is not what the 'Holiday Touch' is. Ever since Colson sold in 2007 to 'The Fortress Investment Group'.....aka the greedy pigs of Wall St took over and it's been straight downhill. Either decide to actually 'walk the walk' and quit BS'ing everybody. The residents aren't stupid. They know what's going on. Unfortunately many of them are stuck staying there because they can't afford to move for one of several reasons. The only reason that I'm writing this is so that if anyone is considering interviewing with this company - real this and take it to heart. It's not just my opinion. Read the various feedbacks over numerous years by many different people in many different communities. If you want to take this offline, just let me know. But I know anyone from corporate who surfaces on this website, is drinking the Kool Aid of Holiday, so it'll be like banging my head against the wall. Just remember - you reap what you sow.

Aug 31, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We strive to employ associates who are passionate and committed to serving seniors. It is our expectation that each associate can stand behind our product, services, and policies so that we can best ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed