Holiday Retirement

Updated October 24, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 28 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 55 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working for Holiday

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We started out as co-managers (assistant managers) and were promoted to community managers 4 months later. Excellent training they put you up at a Hilton for a week during training. The trainers are fun and engaging. Love working with the seniors! Food is amazing.

Cons

Must love seniors and serving others. Not a job you should take if you just want a paycheck. Love of the seniors always keeps you motivated.

Thank you for being able to communicate with upper management and the communication through the weekly and monthly newletters. We hope they continue to promate from within...

Great company and growing fast!

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewarding work to benefit senior citizens.
    Excellent training and ongoing support.
    Above average pay if you're willing to hustle.
    Sales goals were realistic and we always had great marketing and promotions to help us.
    Opportunities to grow with the company.

Cons

Micro-management can be a problem at times. That said, if you're doing your job well, you'll pretty much be left alone. As with any sales job, there is always pressure to perform.

Keep up the great work!

Started out as a great job but then became unbearable because of changes

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed Getting to form relationships with Seniors and learn from all their wisdom. Knowing that you were trying to help seniors have a safe place to live

Cons

The long hours, constantly changing management. Had 5 regional managers in 2 years each with their own style of managing. Unrealistic sales call quotas and way too many conference calls

Please go back to the core values of this company which was the Holiday touch. I saw it disappear in the 2 years I worked there. The emphasis was put on fill the building not keep the resident satisfied.

One of the hardest jobs I've ever had and great mission.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission serving Seniors;
    Hard working dedicated people;
    Very solid Benefits Program and 401k plan with 4% match;
    Company Executives changing culture for the good.

Cons

Sometimes micro-manage;
    Tight labor models;
    Time-off challenging to take in Field.

Stay the course with culture change;
    Focus on Residents needs;
    Improve Training for all employees.

My experience was great, in the first couple of years until the department head changed

Current Employee - District Trainer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - District Trainer in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No work-life balance always working and not valued enough, they did promote from within a lot

Cons

Some personal growth in the beginning, compensation was ok

Value and show appreciation to the associates that are on the front- line out in the trenches that you do care about them and are concerned and offer more training in all areas.

Micromanagement to a new level

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Housing and food is supplied so you have low debt which allows you to save money. The work is rewarding working with Seniors. It is exciting to see what an impact we have on their lives to help them have a better quality of life. They also offer an above average the plan and are self insured.

Cons

Managers are not allowed to manage. Every move made and dollar spent has to be approved by several levels of management. Everything in the company is micro managed to the max. Money is the bottom line and all that is cared about. The Seniors come here for a new lifestyle and hope to stay until the end. This very rarely happens due to greed of massive yearly rent increase and multiple fees being added all the time.
    Even though health insurance is provided and part is paid by the company, the prescription drug coverage and company that is used to manage it is a very poor disorganized company. We have not received our medication in time several times which has cause some health issues.
    Very few opportunities for advancement if you are not on the sales side of the business.
    They layoff employees as soon as they have gotten what the need from them.
    Burn out level is high and the Companies own report of turnover rate for managers is 67%.

Let the Managers manage their property
    Put more focus on retaining residents
    Partner with groups to help residents that need assistance rather than just move them on
    Pay the managers a decent salary for the hours that are worked
    Have floating couples so teams can take vacations without work the other team OT.

Not sure any of these things will be take. Into consideration. I believe the company is headed down a path of no return. Residents stay because of the managers, not the company!

Getting better everyday

Current Employee - Talent Acquisitions Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisitions Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attention towards improving overall culture both in the Home Office and in the field is present in every meeting and conversation within the HR department
    We've hired a lot of really good people in key areas who not only possess a strong skill set to do the job....but also has a passion working with seniors and getting this company to be where it needs to be
    A vast majority of our department has been together for over two years now, which helps tremendously with chemistry and understanding how to achieve the best candidate experience possible

Cons

This hasn't always been a great company....but we're a good company now with aspirations of being a great company in the future
    The transformation from privately owned to being owned by a large PEG has led to natural bumps in the road
    The term '40 year old start-up' is used so often because it's true....we have a lot of work to do

Keep doing what you're doing...the growth I've seen in the last 2.5 years is very promising

Enjoyed the work, disliked the regional management.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Denver, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Loved getting to know the residents in the communities. Work with their families. Great work satisfaction helping solve family issues by providing a safe place for their loved one to live.
    Fun working environment being surrounded by the residents.
    Between the salaries and bonuses, nice pay check when they would calculate properly.

Cons

It seemed as if management was always in a panic mode. Even being a top producer did not matter to the team management. They were always moving the sales staff around to various communities. Too many meetings. Let the team do their work!

Stop making so many last minute changes with your community leaders!
    Micro manage a little less!

stretching people to thin

Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper
    Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i like working there because of the residents without them i would have quit by now

Cons

they expect way to much of their employees,the combination of serving and housekeeping is just to demanding it is not possible to do a good job for one or the other it is to stressful and the residents are the ones sufferring they need to seperate jobs so that things would run more smoothly and efficiently it is probably the most stressfull job I have ever had and I like to do my work to the best of my ability and its not possible here.

make these two seperate jobs and there wouldnt be such a big turnover or such high stress the girls I work with bust there butts and we still come up short you can do both jobs and do them well.

Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The company allows the seniors to live as independently as possible. If the building has a lower census then you can negotiate the cost of the apartment.
    Better Closing Opportunities!

Cons

The demands of the business require long hours and high levels of stress because most people don't communicate with each other or flat out disregard the needs of the business. The management teams and sales leaders rarely get along. The position is extreemly micromanaged, demanding and most valued employees are gone by choice.
    Expect a high turn over in most departments.

I will pray for you and the seniors in the community.

Holiday Retirement Photos