Holiday Retirement Reviews

Reset
2.1
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • Working with seniors can be very rewarding (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management screaming at you (in 57 reviews)

• The Community Managers book bogus tours to get the RSL off their back which makes the CSL numbers look bad (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

The most rewarding job I have ever had. I am challenged and learn something new each day from the associates I work with as well as the residents who I serve. I love the fact that I pour coffee at each meal as a matter of fact it is a real selling point when I'm talking to a family. It really gives me a chance to talk to every single resident in the dining room and to get to know them. Sadly, we may be the only person that talks to them that day and calls them by name - what an honor to have it be part of my job. Many people talk about the work/life balance but my husband and I have not experienced that. We have split our job duties and trust that the other is doing their job. I do not find the need to know every single task that he does nor does he mine. With this we are able to manage the building instead of the building managing us. This takes communication and trust in each other but once you have that you will have a smooth running community!

Cons

Quite honestly, there is not much room for advancement within the company unless you want to move to the regional level. I wish there was a solution for this but given the nature of the business it is what it is. My biggest concern would be the training of new co-managers. I think that if the training department would talk with current lead managers to see what is needed, the result would be associates who are more prepared for the position. Currently a lot of focus is put on sales but it is done so quickly that the associate walks away knowing very little about the actual process and even less about the software used. Once they arrive at a community their real training begins and depending on their CMT & SL they may not get a lot of attention or additional training. My suggestion is train them on the software and about the business they are working in – let the sales training happen in the building where they are getting real experience and have an opportunity to ask important questions and see results.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the boots on the ground; so many awesome changes have been made - keep moving forward. Important thing to remember, I have no idea what you do every day, I could guess that you sit and send emails and have meetings but I know it is much more than that. Please do not assume you know what our days are like. We are on the breathing end of this amazing company where loneliness, sickness and death are experienced often. For those, like my husband and I, we build relationships with all of these wonderful people and while they might be a market rate to you, they are grandparents to us who we take care of when their families can’t or don’t. I do appreciate being given the opportunity to work for Holiday Retirement and hope to be here for years to come. As I said in my first line in the Pros – this is the most rewarding job I have ever had.

Jun 15, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback. Holiday has been looking into the concerns you have, and over the last year and a half our Talent Management department has been looking ... More

2. Community sales leader

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and rewarding career. Lots of relationship building

Cons

Long hours and very stressful. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you want to go into regional sales management.

3. Good for College kids

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time

Pros

The managers were nice and while the residents were as well, they could be a bit needy. I enjoyed working with them everyday.

Cons

The hours were set up differently and you'd have to leave after each meal and return for the next if you were scheduled.

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to work more hours and not set such stringent guidelines about how long table service should be

Community Manager

Current Employee - Property/Community Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Property/Community Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than a year)

Pros

constant work and dealing with residents

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours to accomplish what needs to be completed.

Advice to Management

Make sure you get position in city you like

Jun 29, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback, and we're glad to hear you're passionate about working with seniors. We understand that location and relocation can be a difficult ... More

6. busy baker

Current Employee - Baker in Ormond Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Baker in Ormond Beach, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The Residents of course.such special wonderful people.so much history to share.they are the reason we are here.

Cons

busy busy.running from 6:30 -3:00.baking all the goodies for my people.I love it.cant think of anything negative.

Advice to Management

appreciating employees that work really hard.and telling them good job now and then is a good motivater.

Jun 29, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback.

Community Co-Manager

Current Employee - Community Co-Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Community Co-Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the best job we've ever had!!. Plus I get to work with my best friend (and husband). I doubt I would feel like this if I were younger but my husband & I are in our 50's and hope that this is our last job & that we retire from Holiday. At the end of the day we truly feel like we made a difference no matter how small. I've read reviews that complain about the coffee pouring but it gives us a one on one up close & personal experience at every meal. Relationships are built & solidified but also noticing if someone is not at a meal or not feeling well. It's amazing to see how each resident feels special that we remember what they prefer (decaf, regular, tea, etc.) I agree that this NOT for everyone but it's personally rewarding and satisfying for us. The apartment, utilities, housekeeping and chef prepared meals that are included definitely add value to your competitive salary. I can not speak for others but this was the perfect fit for us! Having amazing Lead Managers definitely helps. We were very fortunate to be placed with the best lead management team ever. All 4 of us are working managers and the community always comes first!!

Cons

Very long hours! The job description of two 12 hour days is not realistic at all. In reality those 2 days are more like 15 hours. Due to many daily "interruptions" , calls from residents and overseeing housekeeping/server staff which takes up most of the day it is almost impossible to complete daily duties thus resulting in working past 9 PM on closing or double days. The opening time of 7:30 is misrepresented because you have to open the building for the kitchen staff that come in at 6 AM and set up the coffee bar.

Advice to Management

All Regional Management should spend 2-3 weeks in a community to actually get a feel and live a day in the life. Each community is different and the "pulse" of each community is different as well. I believe the needs of the residents definitely varies from community to community.

Please come & walk a day in our shoes!!!!

Jun 29, 2015Human Resources Representative

Holiday's community management roles are both rewarding and challenging. If you struggle with balancing time and priorities to and it's impacting your personal life please reach out to the free and ... More

8. manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

great emloyees, love the workforce

Cons

too many old poeple, that can not make decisions

Advice to Management

hire more young people

Jun 29, 2015Human Resources Representative

We take great pride in our diverse workforce, and our leaders are faced with making many difficult decisions. The answer to making tough decisions has nothing to do with age.

9. Benefits at Holiday

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were good benefits at Holiday. The HR staff is great. The ability to get to travel to other Holiday Communities and stay there was wonderful.

Cons

I really can't think of anything negative about their benefits.

Advice to Management

Hire a SERVER to pour coffee instead of making the Managers do it.

Jun 15, 2015Human Resources Representative

We are excited to hear you are pleased with your benefits package because we take great pride in providing our associates with a lifestyle not found anywhere else in the industry.

10. Shuttle bus driver

Current Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable, not a lot of pressure, work at my own pace, free food on workdays, safe feeling reasonable wages.

Cons

Wage raises are minimal, frequent local management changes, little prospect for advancement, only lip service paid to employee suggestions

Advice to Management

Have semi-monthly meetings with employees to get their input. They actually do the job so hence are most knowledgeable on what is needed.

Jun 15, 2015Human Resources Representative

This is a great suggestion that I will forward to the Regional leadership in your area. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Mis Understood

Former Employee - Community Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents was a great experience.

Cons

Need to be more in charge of the kitchen to improve food service. It was not anything like you learned in training. They are all about the money, residents are forgotten as soon as they sign that lease, just make sure they stay 90 days !!!! Could be so much better.

Advice to Management

Walk a week in our shoes, upper management could not do it, they would freak out We worked 2 months alone, why didn't upper management pitch in ????

Jun 29, 2015Human Resources Representative

I'm sorry you've had a negative experience working for Holiday, and we will take your advice into consideration. We suggest sharing your experience in a constructive and positive manner with your ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed