Holiday Retirement

Updated December 16, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Current employee

Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents and staff and the relationships that are built.

Cons

It's a business. You will build wonderful relationships with the residents but the bottom line is it is a business and you are managing a building they live in.

Over the time corporate has tried to understand what happens on the community level - don't quit trying.

Exhausting-demanding

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Love the residents-built good relationships with them. 3 meals/day, rent free, benefits.
    Very challenging position.

Cons

Too demanding, we are community managers and we are working there more then 60 hours/week-not including the e-calls at night. My husband continues to go down there on days off, because there's so much work-maintenance issues amongst other things.
    We are understaffed. The company cuts corners, is cheap, pays little and demands more hours. I used to work 70-80 hours/week, but stopped giving them my time. I care for the residents, but have to let go. I pray for upper management to get a heart and care for the community, residents and the ones they hrie.

It starts with the ones you hire-treat them right, pay them right, respect them-stopping belittling them and give them credit where credit is due. Give them more money for staff. Stop picking on them. Encourage them, believe in them. Get a change of heart. If upper management does not change, it will forever stay the same. Kai- if you're in this for the money, it will continue down the cold, revolving path it's on. To be successful, you need ot like and care about people more then money-otherwise what's the point. Have a passion-love what you do even if you don't get paid for it-then you're on the right track. Get a warm heart, change your attitude, or change your career.

Rewarding but demanding!

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Residents are great and I am very lucky to work with a great team

Cons

Pay is HORRIFIC embarassing low and managers and comanagers think they run everyone and everything. Hire ignorant uneducated and unexperience. Low pay is why there is such a high turn over. Unless your have 97% capacity (which isn't common) they only give you 32 hours

Pay your employees a liveable salary and give your enrichment coordinatora 40 hours!!!!! It doesn't matter how many people are in the building to coordinate, decorate, shop, and lead activites. Also consider giving ECs an assistant to help!

It's an incredible time to be at Holiday Retirement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Team culture, opportunity for growth and professional development, rewards and recognition, benefits, supporting employees who support seniors, and growing company culture.

Cons

High level of change as the company evolves. Lots to do!

Continue to promote transparency and team building.

Welcomed changes on the horizon

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There have been positive strides toward employee satisfaction programs made in the past year. The associates, for the most part, care about their role in serving our seniors.

Cons

Same song and dance as in 99% of the other reviews, middle management is inept.

Hire qualified middle management who recognize the challenges in the communities and actually offer support instead of pointing the finger when the heat is turned up.

Dec 5, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We have leadership development available and we encourage our leadership to take advantage of these programs. We are working to bring additional professional ... More

Don't do it UNLESS you need first time experience AND you are ok with independent only living

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent training and no holds barred expenses.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, Wall Street hedge fund mentality, leadership that is not Fortune 500 educated or trained. Very Chinese business model of "turn and burn" employees.

Get Fortune 500/100 leaders first! Everything comes from above and sets the tone. Then get some real market research on this niche....and like the big players, probably offer all levels not just independent living. If seniors want independent, they stay home!

You are the OWNER of your Building ! HaHa!!

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have minimal expense, so you can save for your OWN Retirement! The relationships you build. The associates who work sooooo hard ! The team you Build. Overall Home office is trying!

Cons

The long, hair on fire, Hours. The Co managers have no clue as to how the business needs to run. If you try to teach them how operations work they are not interested in learning. They get to be social, and do not understand what it takes to balance ALL the hats the Mangers wear. This is why the management turnover at the Community level. If the RD would practice what the Company preaches and take care of the Managers and have their back , the Managers could build a TEAM. We do the division of LABOR.. but still do it ALL. When you have an accountability talk with the COs and they don't like the delegation they CRY fowl.. to RD We as the OWNER of the business, to make it successful should have our boss on our side.
    The hoops that we have to JUMP through to get what we need to take care of residents and the building upkeep is a JOKE. We are told to know our budgets, sales, take care of the CUSTOMER (the Resident)... but don't do anything unless you get APPROVAL on any decision. We love what we do .... but burn out is a given !!! No one should have a pit in their stomach everyday they are on the job. Work Life Balance -0-.. We can not get floaters as NO one coordinates relief for a Team. We earn vacation time but can not take... the Teams cover for each other so when you do a take a day or two.. you come back and work 5-9 days straight 24/7 so the time off Is voided.. back to being exhausted. You do it every day/week/month to be there for your RESIDENTS.... at very low wage based on the hours.. and get NO pay increase. Even as a top level Community your earn no more than struggling Manager.

HELP do not hinder us! Please quit taking advantage of your LEAD Managers.... Do something for them.. Let them rub their Communities.
    You know what Communities have poor Managers ... coach those teams.... Reward your top teams. Everyone, under we take care of with praise, rewards , associate appreciation. But the Leads, (US), get nothing from above. Yet the buck stops with us on all levels. Please stop the abuse of the Community managers.

I hope my next review is better

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with great residents and the opportunity to save money. Associates are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Budgets are too tight and there is still an air of paranoia that permeates the company. Accountability and rewards should be should be shared by all, from RD to dishwasher.

Follow through with plans to upgrade building budgets and increase food service choices and quality.
    Don't wait for the competition to empty out the communities. Because they will.

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. Over the last year Holiday Retirement has gone to great lengths to make our Rewards & Recognition programs more inclusive of all employees. The programs focus on ... More

A business that needs to realign its focus and return to its grassroots values.

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

I love the opportunities to add value to the life of our seniors. To offer comfort, security, and laughter to their daily existence. Even those that seem to be unlovable have the desire to be loved. A recent vision of upper management change of direction was cast upon us to address the underlying deficiencies with the Holiday Retirement Program for growth and success. As long as these areas are addressed, there is hope for correction of issues at the community level.

Cons

There is far to much emphasis on getting seniors to buy into the vision and completely inadequate resources (staffing, staffing wages, finances, etc.) to keep them there. The wages are of the lowest in the industry and the need to micromanage all managers rather than those failing to fulfill the requirements of their position create undue stress and diminishing hope for managers.

I might shift the percentage of focus to lean towards leadership and the operations side of the industry which will ultimately impact manager retention. Managers are the frontline support of the revenue stream for this company as far as I can see. The stability and longevity of the managers in the communities, I believe will provide the most cost effective source of revenue and support for the investors of Holiday Retirement.
      Raise the lid of leadership with your people and your business will ultimately experience growth.

Semi-great place

Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy and nice environment, staff seem to get along well and residents are the plus and bonus of every day.

Cons

Management can be a little off putting, I think they expect a certain person, yet hires a totally different type of individual so turnover is really high.

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give a review. Holiday Retirement cares about your work environment and how you feel about it. We are consistently looking for ways to improve as a whole and all ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos