Holiday Retirement

Updated January 30, 2015
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Taking Care of the residents

Cons

Company had little concern for the residents

Work in the community and you will learn what needs to be changed

Unreasonable

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The people at Holiday are great, some long term employees can't let go of the past, facilities are nice.

Cons

C-Level expectations are unreasonable, and don't understand work life balance.

Adjust Work/Life balance, and build from within.

Invest in Operations Managers--Not Sales HIGH TURN OVER MEANS POOR UNHEALTHY MANAGERS AND COMPANY

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Live on site-all inclusive costs. Residents are awesome-worth healthy staff. Benefits after 90 days.

Cons

Pay is low. Not enough budget for staff. We live a life for holiday, hard to balance a life. I've been working almost year, and just getting a balance.

Invest in hiring quality operations regional mangers....it's simple, Quality will build quantity. THe regionals you have now are lazy, unmotivated, and extremely negative. I've heard in conferences slap negative talk about managers-so arrogant. Get rid of regionals who cut down and laugh at residents, managers and push sales. Any smart healthy company should know you need operations first and sales to follow. Wow--please get rid of the pushy cars sales program-negative outcome. Residents and staff can recognize burnt- stressed out managers. Expand on staff budget-hire enough so staff doesn't get burnt out.

I made it 5 years with Holiday Retirement as a community manager.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I would never regret working for Holiday. I had best time of my life being apart of such a big family. the residences were the best. We had a great staff,chef and Activity director. I felt blessed to be apart of their life, it was very rewarding for me to have had that time with the residences...

Cons

This is a different story with Holiday Headquarters there is good and bad... Our Regional Director understand from a manager level because he was once a manager... The long hours, working months without help, because co-managers are hard to keep... . Co-managers don't stay that long, especially when they have to fill-in as a maid, server and dishwasher...it was part of the job... the cuts in budget, cutting back on entertainment for residences.I believe before someone from HQ calls about this and that get it done, should come work in a community. Without help... I bet they would only last 3 maybe 5 Days...we worked 5 months without co"s without a thank- you....

I think they should work on a new system for the managers and co"s.to never work over 60 hours a week or if they do pay them for it... I bet HQ's gets paid for overtime.

good for the most part

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

residents and the other assiciates

Cons

unrealistic expectations , constantly pushing the sales

check out the RD's that have been with the company for a few years / bad gulture

Experience was all positive until the company was bought out by venture capitalists in NYC.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the residents was the highlight. Fellow co-workers were fine as well. Facilities were great and quite
    well maintained.

Cons

Corporate office and owners in NYC were guilty of making "knee jerk reactions" to situations and required rapid
    changes that only made managing harder, and creating much dissatisfaction among residents and line managers.
    Too much reliance was placed upon telephonic marketing to fill apartments, when assuring happy residents would
    have been more effective in bring in new residents. The company really had no interest in keeping good employee relations. They were only interested in the bottom line figures.

Take better care of residents and employees. Take a more friendly approach to management of the company.

Unlike any company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Your best reward is the seniors you get to know and love.

Cons

The constant interruptions that hinder you from completing your daily office task.

Don't take your managers and co-managers for granted. They work hard to be everything to everyone. From stepping in as maintenance to housekeeping, and let's not forget during meal times. Coffee pours can really be a challenge as well.

not a place I'd like to work at for the rest of my life.

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Loved working with the residents. Good coworkers. Was always busy so the day went by really fast. Learned a lot of problem solving skills here.

Cons

Corporate office was always changing things, such as what position was responsible for what jobs. Community Management changed often; high turn over. The job was extremely stressful at times, there were tasks that had to be completed daily and if you got behind you were behind all day.

Don't be so intimidating when you visit communities. Follow opinions of long standing employees, they know what works best for the residents/coworkers in their specific community.

I loved the residents, the politics of the job left plenty to be desired.

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Pinellas Park, FL
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Pinellas Park, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Calendar creation was simplified giving more time for resident interactions

Cons

The company had little experience in Assisted Living or Memory Care but felt as if they did. No flexibility

More ears... Less mouth

It was an okay time

Current Employee - Server in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The job is simple and the people are nice.

Cons

The pay isnt that great

Holiday Retirement Photos