Holiday Retirement

Updated September 11, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager with a Resident Mom

Current Employee - Floating Manager
    Current Employee - Floating Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As co manager & floating manager in about 30 Holiday units over a 15 year period, I am proud to say Holiday has been very good to us. We have full benefits, no traffic jams, are well fed and housed with wonderful staff & residents wherever we go, even on vacation in our units across the US. When mom became a resident, I learned the family and resident side of the story, and must say mom has thrived. Health, social life, and financially, Holiday has bent over backwards to make her life comfortable. She says "I never dreamed I could be living this well at 96." Most of our residents are quite happy and thankful.

Cons

Management teams who micro manage and don't follow the Holiday guidelines. Some residents are very needy & management is so pressured to rent apartments, many come needing more care than we are legally allowed to give them. Need to clarify those concerns when doing discovery.

Too many power struggles between managers & co-managers. Need smart pairing of management teams. Peace & joy in the building is the main goal and management must get along better....maybe people skill classes..
    Quarterly mandatory training for servers who work weekends & evenings would maximize efficiency and avoid unfinished tasks & working past end of shift.

Rewarding, Diversified, Exhausting, Mental stress !

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fact that our Residents depend on us ! We are their family, friend, caretakers and neighbors. The benefits are good. Expenses minimal, great for saving for future. Our associates are the BEST ! They as well really CARE for the residents. Oregon upper management and regional overall try to help. The Community management TEAMS are best if they cooperate with one another.

Cons

The mental strain every day being pulled like taffy !! The overall expectation for the MANAGERS is really some days very overwhelming. The 50+ hour work weeks is hard on the body and soul ! By the time you may get a day off you collapse. There need t be a better work life balance. Management teams should have like the EMS or Firefighters have 48 on 48 off and rotate or 3 days on 3 days off. We are being asked to do an Associate appreciation week this month.?? When does Regional or Corp. appreciate the MANAGEMENT Teams ?? Teams used to have GETAWAY certificates ??? Now we at least can recognize our staff, with the budget for employee recognition ... but when do we get even a pat on the back ? !
    We love what we do and do a 110% effort each and every day. However it does take a toll on our health and well being as most management teams are NOT spring chickens.
    Our Regional teams is great! However, most days they are clueless as to what really goes on in a day, in the life of the front line CMT.

Reward the TOP Teams better... Compensate better to retain the professional teams. Require your REGIONAL TEAMS to be more hands on in each and every Community not just the poor performing locations. The GOOD Communities NEED some recognition. We need more Regional round tables with other Managers to share our successes and discuss our challenges at least one per quarter. Not just sales meeting but operational needs. The whole Sales/Operations will be more effective and retention of Happy Residents too.

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

I personally enjoy most residents and most staff. I also enjoy working with my spouse. I am a very positive person and also really enjoy the sales side including making calls and tours. You can save a lot of money/pay off debts as there are almost no expenses: housing, utilities, meals, housekeeping provided...and you walk to work (no driving or weather).

Cons

As a manager; you will clean up after residents (imagine the worst)! You will have to serve and bus tables when staff are late or no-shows. You will make lots of phone calls (marketing). You will deal with lazy fellow managers. Some managers are so obese or unable to do the job that you will be doing their work also. You will have to do reports and be on conferance calls multiple times per day. Your training will not prepare you for all this happening to you. Imagine having a server not show up for lunch on Saturday (common occurrence). You are serving, your spouse/partner is pouring coffee (holiday touch), the phone is ringing (no receptionist), a family walks in and wants to take a tour and the emergency system sounds (a resident needs you in their apartment). You finally get through all this and a resident comes in to say a resident has had diarrhea in the elevetor. You get to clean it up (no help on weekends). Oh, yea, don't forget to get back in the office and make those marketing calls and be on the regional conference call. This has happend to us several times with variations. If you can handle this, this is the job for you!!

I have no advise as this is the job and no one is willing to change it from above.

I wish I had a better first job experience.

Former Employee - Server  in  Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time for less than a year

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

Could've been great

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

Cons

To many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

they took my dream and turned it into a nightmare

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

you sure can save a lot of money, no time to save it

Cons

My typical workday seemed custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.

Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon. Yesterday’s opportunity of a lifetime is no longer worth the sacrifice today.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

take a good look at your internal operations

If I could rate it 0 stars, I would.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents. I grew to care for them, and they me.

Cons

Low pay, high expectations, no communication with upper management. You are on your own

Start from scratch. You need a new business model.

Top-Heavy Upper Management with Minimal Concern (or time) for Residents! There are NO winners!

Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the residents and my fellow employees. Nice physical environment to walk into each day and lovely senior residents with which to engage.

Cons

Many cooperate requirements for all positions plus the actual corporate values take time away from creating a positive, living environment to the CURRENT residents that are paying to live at the Holiday community. The community is run on minimal staff, all who give 110%, creates stressful and unhealthy work environments. Way too heavy on the upper-management with too many bosses that creates conflict among the individual community management positions.

This company is extremely upper-management heavy. Each full-time facility position (manager, chef, maintenance, sales leader) has a different regional manager that travels to "manage and trouble -shoot" issues that arise - many times the issues are among the various full-time community positions. I saw so many upper management regionals arrive to the facility, tour the apartments and provide feedback to the various community manager position (whether it be the on-site manager, sales leader or maintenance manager), each regional manager with differing ideas and solutions as to "what will sell the apartments" than the other upper management. This causes conflict within the facility staff as each regional has a different "opinion" and "fix" to the problem and causes confusion and conflict between the community staff. All the while, the current residents needs and issues are NEVER addressed. The focus is ALWAYS on getting the apartment filled and NEVER on what might keep the CURRENT residents satisfied. The current residents deserve better but will NEVER get it because the facility is run with MINIMAL staff that work hard but will never be enough to provide any extras to the residents. The residents get the bare minimum due to the corporate structure of required daily marketing calls by the sales leaders AND managers on duty, one maintenance man, one 32-hr enrichment coordinator, 3 full-time servers/housekeepers all for 100+ residents. There are no winners here at the Holiday Retirement communities!

customer service nonexistent

Current Employee - Resident  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pretty buildings and good food

Cons

basically property managers, not people managers. They say it's your home, but really it's their home and even tell you what dress code is acceptable for the residents.

remember who's paying the bills. retirees that have government pensions for the most part. population on the up and coming cannot afford the $4000/month rent.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!