Holiday Retirement Reviews

471 reviews filtered by
2.0
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

1. Enrichment Coordinator

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator in High Point, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, functioning company, can foresee a good future

Cons

Very coorporate system with bigger wheels not knowing the experience of the physical community associates

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and love the residents

2. No Hiring from Within

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Residents are awesome
    Everything promised was delivered by the company
    Great Benefits
    Working with my beautiful wife
    Our Regional Manager is awesome
    Great support from the regional managers

Cons

The company does not have a career advancement program
    Need more training than the training at the beginning
    Very physically demanding, pouring coffee is a drag (3 times a meal)
    Telemarketing calling endless is a drag but necessary

Advice to Management

Have a tuition reimbursement program
    Develop a training program teaching skill sets needed for advancement in the company
    Hire from within
    Drop managers doing coffee so they can spend more time with the residents during meals

Fulfilling job that allowed me the opportunity to spend quality time with our greatest generation

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Pays well offer good benefits and ability to schedule ones work, ability to work from home as needed.

Cons

Work culture is one of micro management which is counter productive and often leads to people leaving for opportunities that provide more work life balance.

Advice to Management

Find a direction for the company and stick with it, there have been so many senior leadership changes which makes it difficult to believe in the companies future.

Apr 10, 2015Human Resources Representative

All healthy organizations need to adapt and grow to meet the demands of their customers, and Holiday is no different. Our future looks incredibly bright in part to the new leadership we have been ... More

manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the residents; making a positive impact on their lives on a daily basis. It is not wonderful EVERY day but it is about 90% of the time.

Cons

upper management. We are supposed to be managing our community & taking care of our residents. Hire a sales team. Keep the community management team out of the sales process except for giving tours. We are NOT sales people!!!! We don't care about all the numbers, percentages, & sales expectations. That is not why we took this job. As you read all of these reviews, you will notice that the vast majority say the same thing. There is about a 2 year cycle for these jobs because it is all sales, sales, sales. You get so sick of being pounded on a daily basis about more move ins that the average person can only take it for about 2 years. You would think upper management would ask themselves, "Why do we have so much turnover?" We have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years & we just sent our resume to Hawthorn (our #1 competitor who is owned & operated by the former owner of Holiday Retirement). The majority of their current managers are former Holiday employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your community management teams. We are here with these people 24/7. We know what they like & dislike. If you keep your annual rent raises to $25 to $50 every year, you would not have anyone move out. Put the residents #1 instead of sales. Treat these people like you would your parents.

Apr 10, 2015Human Resources Representative

Our residents are our number one priority. Holiday Retirement has an industry leading value proposition for our residents, which we rely on community managers and staff to create. As a leading ... More

6. Ok, good work experience

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Very flexible hours, wonderful managers, nice coworkers, positive environment, fulfilling

Cons

Very low pay, low hours, sometimes frustrating residents

Advice to Management

N/a, schedule more hours

Apr 10, 2015Human Resources Representative

At Holiday, we pride ourselves in the compassionate work we do to enrich the lives of thousands of seniors every day. This is no small or easy task, and we thank you for your contribution.

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with wonderful seniors helping change their lives

Cons

Long hours. Lack of support from upper management. Managers that lie and miss treat residents. Constant change of pay structure

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. Visit the communities more that once every 6 months.

current EC

Current Employee - Community EC
    Current Employee - Community EC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for the company for almost 2 years as an enrichment coordinator and I adore my time with the residents! It is a gift to come to work everyday knowing that my job is to bring joy. And I am pretty good at it. The hours are pretty flexible which works well with a home life. I feel that for the job I do I get paid fairly well... though who doesn't want more?

Cons

Allowing the EC only 32 hours is ridiculous. My position is what keeps the back door closed. A family environment is promoted (and certainly what sells our community since the carpet is old, the paint is old, the furniture is old, and the higher ups have no interest in fixing it), but the salaried employees are so busy on conference calls, and sales that they don't have anytime at all to spend loving on these amazing people. What I do may seem superficial but I assure you it isn't. When I come in after two days off I am told I am never allowed to leave again. I end up having to hand off events and activities to residents and letting them get done at a substandard level to stay within my hours. None of which makes since to me since that extra 8 hours a week would not be much of an investment in the long run. The other con I have noticed is a micro managing regional management. If we have been given budgets why do we have to run every expenditure past the RD? I am perfectly capable of staying in a budget, and much time is wasted approving every 50 dollars I need to spend.

Advice to Management

let up on the control. if you have hired a good team give themselves a chance to prove their worth. Realize that the "back door" is just as important as sales. If we manage to retain the happy residents then the building will stay full. There is no point pushing for sales and then making it impossible to keep the ones we have.

Commitment and High Energy Needed

Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity to serve seniors.

Cons

On call 24 hours, long hours, constant change to goals, company's expectations to meet sales calls while managing residents and daily tasks difficult. Asked almost to achieve the impossible.

Advice to Management

Re-organize upper management structure allow more personnel for running the job site. Have less managers and add an office assistant/receptionist to answers phone etc. ie.

Mar 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We recognize your frustration and will look into ways to improve upon the suggestions you've provided. It's nice to hear you are taking ... More

Manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Kenner, LA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Kenner, LA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

A great business plan is the bait

Cons

Concern is on money, not seniors

Advice to Management

Listen and participate

Loved the job and the residents.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with the residents is fulfilling. It feels great to add to their enjoyment of life.

Cons

Upper management is chaotic, disorganized and have no focus.

Advice to Management

Get someone that knows how to manage.

Apr 1, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your feedback. I can see how frustrating it might be if you feel your leader is disorganized. Over the last year Holiday has invested in developing our leadership through an industry ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos