Holiday Retirement

Updated November 20, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't do it UNLESS you need first time experience AND you are ok with independent only living

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent training and no holds barred expenses.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, Wall Street hedge fund mentality, leadership that is not Fortune 500 educated or trained. Very Chinese business model of "turn and burn" employees.

Get Fortune 500/100 leaders first! Everything comes from above and sets the tone. Then get some real market research on this niche....and like the big players, probably offer all levels not just independent living. If seniors want independent, they stay home!

I hope my next review is better

Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with great residents and the opportunity to save money. Associates are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Budgets are too tight and there is still an air of paranoia that permeates the company. Accountability and rewards should be should be shared by all, from RD to dishwasher.

Follow through with plans to upgrade building budgets and increase food service choices and quality.
    Don't wait for the competition to empty out the communities. Because they will.

Holiday Retirement Response

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. Over the last year Holiday Retirement has gone to great lengths to make our Rewards & Recognition programs more inclusive of all employees. The programs focus on ... More

You are the OWNER of your Building ! HaHa!!

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have minimal expense, so you can save for your OWN Retirement! The relationships you build. The associates who work sooooo hard ! The team you Build. Overall Home office is trying!

Cons

The long, hair on fire, Hours. The Co managers have no clue as to how the business needs to run. If you try to teach them how operations work they are not interested in learning. They get to be social, and do not understand what it takes to balance ALL the hats the Mangers wear. This is why the management turnover at the Community level. If the RD would practice what the Company preaches and take care of the Managers and have their back , the Managers could build a TEAM. We do the division of LABOR.. but still do it ALL. When you have an accountability talk with the COs and they don't like the delegation they CRY fowl.. to RD We as the OWNER of the business, to make it successful should have our boss on our side.
    The hoops that we have to JUMP through to get what we need to take care of residents and the building upkeep is a JOKE. We are told to know our budgets, sales, take care of the CUSTOMER (the Resident)... but don't do anything unless you get APPROVAL on any decision. We love what we do .... but burn out is a given !!! No one should have a pit in their stomach everyday they are on the job. Work Life Balance -0-.. We can not get floaters as NO one coordinates relief for a Team. We earn vacation time but can not take... the Teams cover for each other so when you do a take a day or two.. you come back and work 5-9 days straight 24/7 so the time off Is voided.. back to being exhausted. You do it every day/week/month to be there for your RESIDENTS.... at very low wage based on the hours.. and get NO pay increase. Even as a top level Community your earn no more than struggling Manager.

HELP do not hinder us! Please quit taking advantage of your LEAD Managers.... Do something for them.. Let them rub their Communities.
    You know what Communities have poor Managers ... coach those teams.... Reward your top teams. Everyone, under we take care of with praise, rewards , associate appreciation. But the Leads, (US), get nothing from above. Yet the buck stops with us on all levels. Please stop the abuse of the Community managers.

A business that needs to realign its focus and return to its grassroots values.

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

I love the opportunities to add value to the life of our seniors. To offer comfort, security, and laughter to their daily existence. Even those that seem to be unlovable have the desire to be loved. A recent vision of upper management change of direction was cast upon us to address the underlying deficiencies with the Holiday Retirement Program for growth and success. As long as these areas are addressed, there is hope for correction of issues at the community level.

Cons

There is far to much emphasis on getting seniors to buy into the vision and completely inadequate resources (staffing, staffing wages, finances, etc.) to keep them there. The wages are of the lowest in the industry and the need to micromanage all managers rather than those failing to fulfill the requirements of their position create undue stress and diminishing hope for managers.

I might shift the percentage of focus to lean towards leadership and the operations side of the industry which will ultimately impact manager retention. Managers are the frontline support of the revenue stream for this company as far as I can see. The stability and longevity of the managers in the communities, I believe will provide the most cost effective source of revenue and support for the investors of Holiday Retirement.
      Raise the lid of leadership with your people and your business will ultimately experience growth.

Semi-great place

Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - CNA in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy and nice environment, staff seem to get along well and residents are the plus and bonus of every day.

Cons

Management can be a little off putting, I think they expect a certain person, yet hires a totally different type of individual so turnover is really high.

Holiday Retirement Response

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give a review. Holiday Retirement cares about your work environment and how you feel about it. We are consistently looking for ways to improve as a whole and all ... More

Long hours, low pay, little rewards

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love to work with seniors, this job is great. When co managers are all getting along they become like family. The job is NOT hard, it is one of the easiest I've ever had (I have been mainly in restraint management and now own my own cafe). Day to day is easy and repetitive, the sales prove more difficult. The expectations are clear though.

Cons

The community manager teams don't always get along or work well together. Also the regional management is disorganized and inexperienced. Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers. I talked to three sets (six people) all told me not to take the job. They had varying reasons, but in the end it boiled down to little pay, high expectations, high turnover (people quit are not fired usually) unrealistic goals and disorganization amount upper management. Wish I listened.

Pair community managers together after they have had a chance to meet and make a decision to work together, throwing two very different couples together without ever working together is a BAD idea.

Do not care about employees

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about this job is working with seniors. A community becomes like a family and the residents develop a special bond with you.

Cons

There is no room for growth, constant turnover with staff, and the pay is terrible.

Started out as a great job but then became unbearable because of changes

Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed Getting to form relationships with Seniors and learn from all their wisdom. Knowing that you were trying to help seniors have a safe place to live

Cons

The long hours, constantly changing management. Had 5 regional managers in 2 years each with their own style of managing. Unrealistic sales call quotas and way too many conference calls

Please go back to the core values of this company which was the Holiday touch. I saw it disappear in the 2 years I worked there. The emphasis was put on fill the building not keep the resident satisfied.

Micromanagement to a new level

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Housing and food is supplied so you have low debt which allows you to save money. The work is rewarding working with Seniors. It is exciting to see what an impact we have on their lives to help them have a better quality of life. They also offer an above average the plan and are self insured.

Cons

Managers are not allowed to manage. Every move made and dollar spent has to be approved by several levels of management. Everything in the company is micro managed to the max. Money is the bottom line and all that is cared about. The Seniors come here for a new lifestyle and hope to stay until the end. This very rarely happens due to greed of massive yearly rent increase and multiple fees being added all the time.
    Even though health insurance is provided and part is paid by the company, the prescription drug coverage and company that is used to manage it is a very poor disorganized company. We have not received our medication in time several times which has cause some health issues.
    Very few opportunities for advancement if you are not on the sales side of the business.
    They layoff employees as soon as they have gotten what the need from them.
    Burn out level is high and the Companies own report of turnover rate for managers is 67%.

Let the Managers manage their property
    Put more focus on retaining residents
    Partner with groups to help residents that need assistance rather than just move them on
    Pay the managers a decent salary for the hours that are worked
    Have floating couples so teams can take vacations without work the other team OT.

Not sure any of these things will be take. Into consideration. I believe the company is headed down a path of no return. Residents stay because of the managers, not the company!

Love working for Holiday

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We started out as co-managers (assistant managers) and were promoted to community managers 4 months later. Excellent training they put you up at a Hilton for a week during training. The trainers are fun and engaging. Love working with the seniors! Food is amazing.

Cons

Must love seniors and serving others. Not a job you should take if you just want a paycheck. Love of the seniors always keeps you motivated.

Thank you for being able to communicate with upper management and the communication through the weekly and monthly newletters. We hope they continue to promate from within...

Holiday Retirement Photos