Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 22 reviews
  • "You think you can really make a difference, problem is upper management won't allow it"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 42 reviews
  • "New inquiries will suffer and not get the attention needed to convert to move-ins"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not impressed.

Executive Chef (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Prosresidents are great. love talking with them on a daily basis listening to all their amazing stories.

ConsLittle to no communication between the 2 sets of live in married managers. extremely high turnover rate for management and employees in general. most co-managers last about 3-9 months before resigning. About the same for building managers. Mostly due to the constant pressure from the sales team. It seems as if that is the companies only aim. we just had 5 sets of managers quit in our region in the past 2 weeks!

The Pay for housekeeping,serving, and hourly kitchen staff is so low that you are resorted to hiring staff with little experience and the ones that have experience don't stick around long because of the constant bombardment of micromanagement from regional down to building management

....OH AND GET THIS... whether your an hourly employee or salary you can never get a raise!!! Thats right! What rate You are hired in as is the rate that you stay for your entire employment. The companies response to my complaints is that "we do give out raises....cost of living raises." My cost of living raise last year was .03 cents. WOW. The only exception for this is if you change jobs say from dishwasher to prep cook, then you would possibly get a raise in pay. (There is only 4 positions in the kitchen: cook sous chef dishwasher and sometimes a prep cook) Generally employees are treated as liabilities as apposed to assets for the company.

This company is a serious waste of anyone's time.

Executive Chef (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is always on time. Sorry but that's about the best thing of this crappie company. If you are a kindergarten teacher or a child care lover this is the company for you to work with.

ConsNo true support teams. This compay repeatedly tell their residents what ever it is that they want them to hear just to trick them into moving into a community and pay that outrageously high community fee. They love hiring kids/teens its almost like babysitting your enemies children but u cant do much about it because the pay is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your managers or this company will always be a revolving door.

Holiday reitrement company is unorgainized

Server (Current Employee)
Arlington, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than a year

ProsSense of community, good coworkers

ConsManagers change often. Poor decisions by former managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to be more consistent and don't leave after 2 months

No Holiday Touch

Community Manager (Current Employee)
Kawaika-A, AZ

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsResidents and Associates are wonderful. I have nothing positive to say about the company or corporate. I wish they were the old Holiday prior to the sale in 2007.

ConsRegional Director and Corporate have no people skills. They are very uncaring. Regional Director will not visit long at the community and doesn't pour coffee to residents, unlike the old Holiday. The Regional Maintenance has no respect to residents. Says they have to even carpet clean the resident's apartment even if the resident doesn't want it. Just because they live there, it isn't their building (Holiday's new motto). It's the Regional Directors Building. Even though he doesn't own it or writes the checks. P*ss poor and thoughtless is what they are. They even put people into a a mentor training and two weeks of classroom training, even if you were with the company in the past. Waste of resident's money. They have classroom training every two weeks in three different states. Has to be a clue that they constantly go through management. The regional also interviews you by Skype. They don't have the time to interview you in person. They are 100% Sales and Computers. 0% Residents. No communication skills with Corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the old Holiday Grass Roots. New Holiday garbage sucks to residents and staff.

Impressive company!

SSL (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThis has been a great company for career growth. Management works with you to see your potential.

ConsLong hours, as expected with career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue showing support to each employee.

Make up your mind

Regional Sales Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people both seniors and most of the property level teams

ConsNo consistent message to the field. The company does not allow enough time to see if an idea is successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim you hire good people. Stop micromanaging them. The multi times per day updates are verging on harassment

Community Sales Leader

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with Seniors to make a difference in their lives.

ConsLong Hours, micro managers, company ahead of residents

Advice to Senior Managementwork a week in our position. Get to know the residents and make upper management accountable instead of putting the community managers out to dry.

Flavor of the Week (Weak) !

Management Team (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe dedicated associates, our residents and families ! A varied days work ... never boring.
Benefits. A solid Company.

ConsThe endless changes in direction from Upper management. For a very short time Corporate (those above the Community level) backed off on the daily harassment. "Short lived" . When those in the Communities know what is expected, let us do our jobs. "Run it as if it is your business" .. but don't make any decisions. The apartment turns (ha ha) have the new resident pay a Community fee .. but give them No updates.. give them dirty carpet, no ADA Commodes unless they pay for over and above.. penny wise and pound foolish ! Wake up.. the competition is using our weakness as their strength ! Now management teams are going to be expected to absorb the 40+ additional hrs of the CSL. CSL have no internal responsibility. You are making your teams ill.
 Outreach is important 8 hours per week, not 40. Their being out 5 days will just give the CSL an excuse to hide. No way for accountability. The Management teams truly only have 6-8 hrs per week for cross over time. Otherwise the Management Team on duty will be solo. To do it all. New inquiries will suffer and not get the attention needed to convert to move-ins. As the mangers can not tour/serve, dining room duty, do reports, maintenance etc etc. and give the needed attention to the prospects. I guess we will need to no longer invite folks for tours during meal time.

It will never produce more revenue. Proper national advertising will create a ton of qualified traffic into our buildings. The CSL and Teams will have quality inquiries and move ins.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP and rethink this direction. Your respect for the Community Teams is non existent. Your best assets should be us. The burn out level will increase and cause further moveouts as teams leave the Company and Residents go to the competition for stability and security.
Quit demanding teams to give up days off and no holidays. We are sure it is not lawful.

Unrealistic expectations with too few hours to do an effective job.

Enrichment Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe wonderful seniors you work with

ConsThe regional and cooporate management have unrealistic expectations, especially with insuffient hours allowed. This job is only 32 hours, yet you are expected to do 40-60 hours of work a week. That is if you really care about the residents. All they seem to care about is getting people in the door, not necessarily keeping residents or staff in place or happy. If you aren't the one signing the contracts with new residents, your dept is considered an expense, yet you are blamed if the occupancy isn't at 100%.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about trying to keep good employees by actually treating them with respect and giving them the tools they need to do their jobs. I'm sure it would be much cheaper to retain qualified employees than always recruiting and training new people every few months. If you don't start caring about the people in a people business, you will loose business.

Deeply concerned about management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement

ProsGreat location. Live amongst good friends. Three great meals a day. Weekly housekeeping service. Activities daily. Offering different entertainers on occasions. Shuttle bus rides to various locations like the doctor, shops and church.

ConsRead "advice to management" below.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs someone who has visited close friends living at the Carson Plaza in Nevada and now has an aunt living at Sky Peaks, also in Nevada; I can honestly say that Holiday has no idea how to hire properly suited people for management.
A couple of years ago at Carson Plaza I encountered the co-manager Casy on a few occasions. I found her to be quite and scattered, unprofessional and a bit rude. I later heard of the antics that she pulled with some of the residents as well as some employees. As well her "long vacation" that she took alone for several weeks. Hearsay I know. But nonetheless, a bit concerning.
 Imagine my surprise when learned that she and her husband were the managers where my aunt now resides. She and her husband were not only transferred but promoted to community managers!
Over the past months I've heard about and have seen some "interesting" behavior from this woman. I usually visit between lunch and dinner and I'll sometimes stay for a meal. I've gotten to know quite a few of the residents and even some employees. They are great people all around.
However, I cannot ignore the fact that this woman is clearly off balance and should NOT be in charge of an entire building of elderly people or a a large staff.
For starters, during meals she seems scattered and erratic. She appears to be hounding the servers, yet not helping. Only scrutinizing and harassing. In the way and talking down to them.
Apparently she harasses the housekeepers so much that half the week they go home in tears. Telling them they need to "do what it takes to get the job done." Implying that they need to work off the clock to complete their daily tasks.
I have it on good authority that most of the staff fears her and worry for their jobs. The phrase "hostile work environment" is used quite frequently.
Apparently her "extra long vacations" aren't doing the trick. Perhaps a job that's more solitary would be better suited for Casey. A job with less "triggers"

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 316 reviews posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.