Holiday Retirement Reviews

Reset
2.1
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • Working with seniors can be very rewarding (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management screaming at you (in 57 reviews)

• The Community Managers book bogus tours to get the RSL off their back which makes the CSL numbers look bad (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

The most rewarding job I have ever had. I am challenged and learn something new each day from the associates I work with as well as the residents who I serve. I love the fact that I pour coffee at each meal as a matter of fact it is a real selling point when I'm talking to a family. It really gives me a chance to talk to every single resident in the dining room and to get to know them. Sadly, we may be the only person that talks to them that day and calls them by name - what an honor to have it be part of my job. Many people talk about the work/life balance but my husband and I have not experienced that. We have split our job duties and trust that the other is doing their job. I do not find the need to know every single task that he does nor does he mine. With this we are able to manage the building instead of the building managing us. This takes communication and trust in each other but once you have that you will have a smooth running community!

Cons

Quite honestly, there is not much room for advancement within the company unless you want to move to the regional level. I wish there was a solution for this but given the nature of the business it is what it is. My biggest concern would be the training of new co-managers. I think that if the training department would talk with current lead managers to see what is needed, the result would be associates who are more prepared for the position. Currently a lot of focus is put on sales but it is done so quickly that the associate walks away knowing very little about the actual process and even less about the software used. Once they arrive at a community their real training begins and depending on their CMT & SL they may not get a lot of attention or additional training. My suggestion is train them on the software and about the business they are working in – let the sales training happen in the building where they are getting real experience and have an opportunity to ask important questions and see results.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the boots on the ground; so many awesome changes have been made - keep moving forward. Important thing to remember, I have no idea what you do every day, I could guess that you sit and send emails and have meetings but I know it is much more than that. Please do not assume you know what our days are like. We are on the breathing end of this amazing company where loneliness, sickness and death are experienced often. For those, like my husband and I, we build relationships with all of these wonderful people and while they might be a market rate to you, they are grandparents to us who we take care of when their families can’t or don’t. I do appreciate being given the opportunity to work for Holiday Retirement and hope to be here for years to come. As I said in my first line in the Pros – this is the most rewarding job I have ever had.

Jun 15, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback. Holiday has been looking into the concerns you have, and over the last year and a half our Talent Management department has been looking ... More

2. Holiday

Former Employee - Holiday Team Member in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Holiday Team Member in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros to working for holiday. First of all the industry that you get to work in is great because they help give people a better quality of living which is a blessing to be a part of. They love to reward the employees for helping Holiday Retirement continue to be the leader in the industry which makes them so successful. Everybody that works at Holiday are friendly and helpful people and its very easy to make friends with the many wonderful people that work their. The employees are more like a family than an employer and co-worker relationship and are dedicated to working together to make sure they provide the best service possible to the customers and have as much fun as they can doing it. They have wonderful incentives and benefits and their is plenty of room for growth if you stick with them. They like to hire within whenever possible to give people opportunities to advance their career. I am so happy I got to be a part of such a wonderful team and a company. My time working at holiday retirement will be greatly missed, but all good things must come to an end at some point. I would highly recommend if you get the opportunity to work for them that you take it, you wont be disappointed.

Cons

There are none really. Every company has things that they must deal with that can be conceived as negative but Holiday does the best they can to make sure that they are listening to the employees. They have an employee relations department to make sure that your voice is heard and you are not alone. They want everyone to work together as a team in as positive environment. Most of the time employees are the one to blame for the negative things that happen, not Holiday Retirement themselves. They certainly do a great job at trying to communicate with the employees and staff so that any issues are resolved in a respectful and prompt manner if you communicate with them. Hard work is a part of working for any company but Holiday does a great job at rewarding the hard work and dedication of its employees.

Advice to Management

Love your job no matter how stressful it gets because this company is a wonderful place to work.

3. time well spent

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR

Pros

Seniors are awesome. Truly "the greatest generation"

Cons

Corporate profits supersede senior needs

Advice to Management

love seniors

2nd job

Current Employee - Food Server in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a Great wage Also you'll receive Flexible hours And your you'll have Short shifts

Cons

You will get Minimal hours (5-15) And they have an Unrealistic timeline that in my building personally can't be met every service.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Holiday Retirement offers a lot of different career opportunities for both full and part-time associates. We're glad you're enjoying working here.

Corporations are like that...but thanks for commenting

Current Employee - CMT
    Current Employee - CMT

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working with your spouse; loving your residents; encouraging your staff; every now and then you can actually make a difference in a seniior's life, especially those whose families are MIA-people need people; it's nice to see Holiday is actually responding to Glassdoor comments.

Cons

corporate crapolla-too many people@home office mandating unrealistic procedures & policies defeating the purpose of the "Holiday Touch". Home Office dictates high ideals & intentions, but there is no accountability for follow-through on the execution of these policies

Advice to Management

Streamline the procedural structure to a realistic level with consistent accountability. Spend less on hiring NEW people & more on KEEPING the ones you have worth a darn. Stop hiring idiots.

7. Good

Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Detroit, MI

Pros

They have yearly raises and will work with college schedules. The staff at my location is great. You must love working with people especially elderly.

Cons

Most jobs here require you to work nights and weekends.peoblems with short staff can make it difficult to get time off.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

There is always ways to find time off, and we believe time away from work is a valuable way to increase performance and engagement. We ask associates to work with their scheduling supervisor plan ... More

8. Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to holiday after working over 20 years in hospitality. I enjoy working with the seniors and seeing their expressions when helping them. it's like being in their extended family.

Cons

I have been having issues with my benefits. Hopefully my management /corporate team will do what's right.

Advice to Management

I don't know how the other holiday properties run but my management team is the best. They go out of their way to take care of our residents and the employees.

Aug 10, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We love hearing that you work in a well-run community. We suggest that your recognize your leadership through your area maintenance director, and by reaching out to your regional director. As an ... More

Trust the bad reviews

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We went through the economic downturn, lost jobs, and this was a job that both spouses could work at together.

Cons

As co-managers, we always felt like we were cheating the families. Corporate was Always hounding us to make calls, meet deadlines & up quotas. We are educated seasoned adults with excellent work ethics and caring people. Corporate should treat people accordingly. Told to Promise everything, deliver nothing. Residents were nice, but a long way from independant. Lots of late nights and middle of night emergencies to attend to people & back on duty the next day. Totally understaffed & low pay for the work in every department! Those "chef prepaered meals" were unhealthy, low-cost, high calorie meals prepared by people who were line cooks, not chefs. The company purposefully moved us away from our adult children, even though there were openings within 30 minutes of our home. We later discovered it was so we could "focus" on the job. Rediculously long hours - 8am to 9:30 for 5 days a week and then on call all those nights as well. You will never recover that time- We only lasted a year - longest year of my life!! If your thinking of working here - Run, run away - Read the internet - there are a ton of reviews & many sites

Advice to Management

It's a corporate nightmare. How can they fix that? Try to spend more than seventy cents per day, per person on decent food for these people.

Believe these reviews it's the truth!

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We loved the wonderful residents!

Cons

When employees tell you it's an aweful place to work BELIEVE IT!!!! This company could care less about their employees, and even less about the residents! Just make sure you have all the apartments full at all times or else you get harassed and our RD would swear at us! UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Value people. ALL PEOPLE!!!!!

Community sales leader

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and rewarding career. Lots of relationship building

Cons

Long hours and very stressful. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you want to go into regional sales management.

RSS Feed </> Embed