Holiday Retirement

Updated September 29, 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 26 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 54 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed the work, disliked the regional management.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Denver, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Loved getting to know the residents in the communities. Work with their families. Great work satisfaction helping solve family issues by providing a safe place for their loved one to live.
    Fun working environment being surrounded by the residents.
    Between the salaries and bonuses, nice pay check when they would calculate properly.

Cons

It seemed as if management was always in a panic mode. Even being a top producer did not matter to the team management. They were always moving the sales staff around to various communities. Too many meetings. Let the team do their work!

Stop making so many last minute changes with your community leaders!
    Micro manage a little less!

stretching people to thin

Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper
    Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

i like working there because of the residents without them i would have quit by now

Cons

they expect way to much of their employees,the combination of serving and housekeeping is just to demanding it is not possible to do a good job for one or the other it is to stressful and the residents are the ones sufferring they need to seperate jobs so that things would run more smoothly and efficiently it is probably the most stressfull job I have ever had and I like to do my work to the best of my ability and its not possible here.

make these two seperate jobs and there wouldnt be such a big turnover or such high stress the girls I work with bust there butts and we still come up short you can do both jobs and do them well.

Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The company allows the seniors to live as independently as possible. If the building has a lower census then you can negotiate the cost of the apartment.
    Better Closing Opportunities!

Cons

The demands of the business require long hours and high levels of stress because most people don't communicate with each other or flat out disregard the needs of the business. The management teams and sales leaders rarely get along. The position is extreemly micromanaged, demanding and most valued employees are gone by choice.
    Expect a high turn over in most departments.

I will pray for you and the seniors in the community.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager with a Resident Mom

Current Employee - Floating Manager
    Current Employee - Floating Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As co manager & floating manager in about 30 Holiday units over a 15 year period, I am proud to say Holiday has been very good to us. We have full benefits, no traffic jams, are well fed and housed with wonderful staff & residents wherever we go, even on vacation in our units across the US. When mom became a resident, I learned the family and resident side of the story, and must say mom has thrived. Health, social life, and financially, Holiday has bent over backwards to make her life comfortable. She says "I never dreamed I could be living this well at 96." Most of our residents are quite happy and thankful.

Cons

Management teams who micro manage and don't follow the Holiday guidelines. Some residents are very needy & management is so pressured to rent apartments, many come needing more care than we are legally allowed to give them. Need to clarify those concerns when doing discovery.

Too many power struggles between managers & co-managers. Need smart pairing of management teams. Peace & joy in the building is the main goal and management must get along better....maybe people skill classes..
    Quarterly mandatory training for servers who work weekends & evenings would maximize efficiency and avoid unfinished tasks & working past end of shift.

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

Rewarding, Diversified, Exhausting, Mental stress !

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fact that our Residents depend on us ! We are their family, friend, caretakers and neighbors. The benefits are good. Expenses minimal, great for saving for future. Our associates are the BEST ! They as well really CARE for the residents. Oregon upper management and regional overall try to help. The Community management TEAMS are best if they cooperate with one another.

Cons

The mental strain every day being pulled like taffy !! The overall expectation for the MANAGERS is really some days very overwhelming. The 50+ hour work weeks is hard on the body and soul ! By the time you may get a day off you collapse. There need t be a better work life balance. Management teams should have like the EMS or Firefighters have 48 on 48 off and rotate or 3 days on 3 days off. We are being asked to do an Associate appreciation week this month.?? When does Regional or Corp. appreciate the MANAGEMENT Teams ?? Teams used to have GETAWAY certificates ??? Now we at least can recognize our staff, with the budget for employee recognition ... but when do we get even a pat on the back ? !
    We love what we do and do a 110% effort each and every day. However it does take a toll on our health and well being as most management teams are NOT spring chickens.
    Our Regional teams is great! However, most days they are clueless as to what really goes on in a day, in the life of the front line CMT.

Reward the TOP Teams better... Compensate better to retain the professional teams. Require your REGIONAL TEAMS to be more hands on in each and every Community not just the poor performing locations. The GOOD Communities NEED some recognition. We need more Regional round tables with other Managers to share our successes and discuss our challenges at least one per quarter. Not just sales meeting but operational needs. The whole Sales/Operations will be more effective and retention of Happy Residents too.

Do not apply

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Hilton Head Island, SC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the seniors are wonderful

Cons

Corporate management is extremely misguided

Absolutely NO Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ever changing bonus plan can be lucrative. They do pay a bonus every month if you have at least two move ins. They do reimburse your expenses within two weeks.

Cons

Only three days off per month with your family, if you're lucky. They don't care about you, just move ins. That's very clear. No trust in employees. They could write a book on micro-managament. Minimum of three conference calls each day. One first thing in the morning to tell them what you'll be doing, one at lunch to tell them your progress for the day, then another at 4:30 to tell them what your're going to to do the following day.

Require that your sales staff be in the building during peak selling times. That's Monday through Friday. If you give us flexibility, we'll come in on Saturday's when a hot prospect is available. Sitting in the building making phone calls and hoping for a walk-in is a poor use of time. Just look at the data for walk-ins and new leads. The majority do not come in on Saturday and Sunday. Stop managing all the communities as if they are in a major metropolitan market. Some are not. Shift resources to the communities that have low lead generation. The communities with the highest census have the highest marketing budget. Where is the logic there.

I wish I had a better first job experience.

Former Employee - Server  in  Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time for less than a year

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

they took my dream and turned it into a nightmare

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

you sure can save a lot of money, no time to save it

Cons

My typical workday seemed custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.

Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon. Yesterday’s opportunity of a lifetime is no longer worth the sacrifice today.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

take a good look at your internal operations

Holiday Retirement Photos

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!