Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 25 reviews
  • "It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 46 reviews
  • "You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growing company with great values

ProsThe company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

ConsThe company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

I got to work with Some very Interesting Residents well I grow fund of. I learn A Lot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswell it was very Refreshing for me and the staff they all were Team players. I learn and apply myself with active Listening Techniques applying confidentiality. also applying counseling Techniques. I didn't get to Exercise the time-off policies but I was up for A promotion.

Conswell very hard work but I like hard work. It gave Me A chance to grow To Expand My Techniques. I learn A Lot when I was Trained. and Also Bought A Lot To The Table.

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice is keep eyes and ears open. listen Pay Attention keep your Nose Clean. if you have A problem with Management Talk to Management yourself. might get Better Results.

New to the Company

Lake Oswego, OR

ProsThe orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

ConsThere is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful like most sales jobs, however very fulfilling.

Sales Leader and Mentor (Current Employee)
    Tallahassee, FL

ProsThe pay is great and insurance is wonderful. I believe that working with seniors and helping them transition to the next phase in life is most rewarding. I very much enjoy the team environment at the property level and the ability to work in the community and build solid relationships. I look forward to he growth opportunity within the company and the support I receive from my region director and regional sales leader.

ConsLike most sales jobs the stress sometimes is difficult to manage, there are many different spinning wheels within the company that make it tick. I believe that every job is what you make it and no job is perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made you one of the most successful and profitable senior organizations
    The resident. A clear message to the regional staff that can be clearly filtered down to the property level.

enrichment coordinator assisted livinf

Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living (Current Employee)

Prosresidents, staff almost all working toghether. Quality of life work/Life Balance. Great benes :). all the poeple that say no one cares or listens. Do you do your job. I started a little over a year ago have received employee of month and Service of Exellence award.

ConsPay could be better

Proud of our COMMUNITY, our TEAM, our REGION !!!

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBeing part of an overall Great Community that has pride and welcomes everyone! The residents and what our Team does daily to truly CARE for each of them. The Family of our Residents can rest assured that their loved one is Happy with this Lifestlye they have earned. The everyday communication within our Community.
    The true "HOLIDAY TOUCH"

ConsThe true lack of Corporates understanding of the Community level ability to run their business. The Communities that are successful should not be micro managed by the Regional team or the District. It is understandable that struggling Teams need more guidance. The Regional level should KNOW what is happening in a Community that needs that extra guidance, by actually spending a day or two there. We have not seen our Regional Team but once in the last 8 months. That tells me no news is good news. The Regional up to Corporate need to REWARD or acknowledge the TEAMS that work. We all need recognition. You want us to recognize and coach our teams, yet we are never afforded the same respect. The trickle down effect from the TOP will help everyone's ATTITUDES and Performance ! Management Teams used to get appreciation certificates and an extra perk now and then. If you want the High performing Management Teams to not get so discouraged they have thoughts of leaving ... give them a share of the success.. you get what you pay for. Same as the Regional Team gets rewards do the same for the ground level Community teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE take the time to talk to the successful Community Managers and LISTEN ! Help us to help YOU!
    We want Our Company to succeed for all. Promote from within.

Great company to work for! Great training and amazing benefits!

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMust love serving seniors. Free apartment first class travel, excellent training. Can double salary with bonus program. Health ins $100 matching 401k. Can stay at any of the 330 communities for free. Working w my beautiful wife.

ConsMust love sales, Holiday business is renting apartments. Long hours but very rewarding!

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat communication! Keep up the good work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Experience the Holiday Touch

Guest Services USA (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe most rewarding position I have ever had!! Guest Services Remote with lists provided by Top Notch Regional Managers. I provided Appointments and RSVP's to Events and took the pressure off of On Site Managers.

ConsMy position was eliminated because of a political twist in Executive levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should consider hiring me again as I loved your Managers and the Senior contacts I spoke with. I really helped your occupancy grow through out the USA!!

Wonderful company, work life balance

Lake Oswego, OR

ProsGood salary, nice office environment and I work with great people. Company provides awesome health benefits, dental,vision and life. My manager is the best manager I have worked for in my entire 30 year career. Flexible hours and we can have an occasional work from home day too. I have refered several people to work for holiday. Love my job!

ConsMaybe give more vacation time. Two weeks is just not enough to get recharged

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Super happy about the new 401k match

One of the best jobs I've ever had!

ProsGreat teamwork, a serious commitment to making the residents happy and a vision for the future!

ConsI'm new - but don't have any right now.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 365 reviews posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.