Holiday Retirement

Updated December 15, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working for Holiday

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We started out as co-managers (assistant managers) and were promoted to community managers 4 months later. Excellent training they put you up at a Hilton for a week during training. The trainers are fun and engaging. Love working with the seniors! Food is amazing.

Cons

Must love seniors and serving others. Not a job you should take if you just want a paycheck. Love of the seniors always keeps you motivated.

Thank you for being able to communicate with upper management and the communication through the weekly and monthly newletters. We hope they continue to promate from within...

Getting better everyday

Current Employee - Talent Acquisitions Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisitions Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attention towards improving overall culture both in the Home Office and in the field is present in every meeting and conversation within the HR department
    We've hired a lot of really good people in key areas who not only possess a strong skill set to do the job....but also has a passion working with seniors and getting this company to be where it needs to be
    A vast majority of our department has been together for over two years now, which helps tremendously with chemistry and understanding how to achieve the best candidate experience possible

Cons

This hasn't always been a great company....but we're a good company now with aspirations of being a great company in the future
    The transformation from privately owned to being owned by a large PEG has led to natural bumps in the road
    The term '40 year old start-up' is used so often because it's true....we have a lot of work to do

Keep doing what you're doing...the growth I've seen in the last 2.5 years is very promising

Manager with a Resident Mom

Current Employee - Floating Manager
    Current Employee - Floating Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As co manager & floating manager in about 30 Holiday units over a 15 year period, I am proud to say Holiday has been very good to us. We have full benefits, no traffic jams, are well fed and housed with wonderful staff & residents wherever we go, even on vacation in our units across the US. When mom became a resident, I learned the family and resident side of the story, and must say mom has thrived. Health, social life, and financially, Holiday has bent over backwards to make her life comfortable. She says "I never dreamed I could be living this well at 96." Most of our residents are quite happy and thankful.

Cons

Management teams who micro manage and don't follow the Holiday guidelines. Some residents are very needy & management is so pressured to rent apartments, many come needing more care than we are legally allowed to give them. Need to clarify those concerns when doing discovery.

Too many power struggles between managers & co-managers. Need smart pairing of management teams. Peace & joy in the building is the main goal and management must get along better....maybe people skill classes..
    Quarterly mandatory training for servers who work weekends & evenings would maximize efficiency and avoid unfinished tasks & working past end of shift.

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

Growing company with great values

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

Cons

The company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Continue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

I got to work with Some very Interesting Residents well I grow fund of. I learn A Lot.

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

well it was very Refreshing for me and the staff they all were Team players. I learn and apply myself with active Listening Techniques applying confidentiality. also applying counseling Techniques. I didn't get to Exercise the time-off policies but I was up for A promotion.

Cons

well very hard work but I like hard work. It gave Me A chance to grow To Expand My Techniques. I learn A Lot when I was Trained. and Also Bought A Lot To The Table.

my advice is keep eyes and ears open. listen Pay Attention keep your Nose Clean. if you have A problem with Management Talk to Management yourself. might get Better Results.

New to the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

Cons

There is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

Stressful like most sales jobs, however very fulfilling.

Current Employee - Sales Leader and Mentor in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Leader and Mentor in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is great and insurance is wonderful. I believe that working with seniors and helping them transition to the next phase in life is most rewarding. I very much enjoy the team environment at the property level and the ability to work in the community and build solid relationships. I look forward to he growth opportunity within the company and the support I receive from my region director and regional sales leader.

Cons

Like most sales jobs the stress sometimes is difficult to manage, there are many different spinning wheels within the company that make it tick. I believe that every job is what you make it and no job is perfect.

Remember what made you one of the most successful and profitable senior organizations
    The resident. A clear message to the regional staff that can be clearly filtered down to the property level.

enrichment coordinator assisted livinf

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

residents, staff almost all working toghether. Quality of life work/Life Balance. Great benes :). all the poeple that say no one cares or listens. Do you do your job. I started a little over a year ago have received employee of month and Service of Exellence award.

Cons

Pay could be better

Experience the Holiday Touch

Former Employee - Guest Services USA in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Guest Services USA in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The most rewarding position I have ever had!! Guest Services Remote with lists provided by Top Notch Regional Managers. I provided Appointments and RSVP's to Events and took the pressure off of On Site Managers.

Cons

My position was eliminated because of a political twist in Executive levels.

You should consider hiring me again as I loved your Managers and the Senior contacts I spoke with. I really helped your occupancy grow through out the USA!!

Holiday Retirement Photos