Holiday Retirement

Updated February 28, 2015
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company I ever worked for slave labor!

Former Employee - Community Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros just lies

Cons

Working 16 plus hours a day really don't need an apartment never get to enjoy it all the perks free cable etc never happens because the days a very very long and when your done you crash to start another day, as for the chef inspired free meals that is a joke Lol! Trust me no Iron chefs working at this company even though residents pay 3000 plus dollars a month for rent hot dogs and beans are on the menu go figure. This company should be investigated

Stop lying to new employee's and treat your residents better and train your upper management

Arrogant Leadership

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

It is easy to get a job here. Everything you see about this company on glassdoor is true.

Cons

Leadership is arrogant and completely out of touch with the day to day operations of the communities. All talk and no do. The company is successful in spite of, not because of, the leadership.

Anyone in a leadership position should humble themselves and spend two weeks, working as a manager, living in the community, washing dishes, responding to e-calls, dealing with confused residents and minimum wage hourly employees. Go on minimum sleep and long hours with no break. AND do it with your spouse!

Feb 9, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your suggestions. In 2014 Holiday created several new leadership development programs helping them to be come more connected with the business the lead. In fact our new onboarding ... More

This place is ridiculous

Current Employee - Community Manager in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents are awesome. Some of the best in there generation and so knowledgeable so we learn a lot from them.

Cons

District vice presidents that have little man syndrome and think it is best to surround themselves around young attractive ladies rather than promote based on merit and knowledge of operations. This company has a lot to learn and one of the biggest is "not having employees fearing for their jobs because sales is down". Their used car salesman approach to sales is so messed up. Holiday does serve a variety of people in there upper years and having 26 and 27 year old regional directors and Regional anything does not set well with them but the company don't get it. These regionals are to young and don't listen to anything the managers try to tell them Mostly I think it comes from unqualified District Vice Presidents that should have stayed in the Hotel Industry.

You have us do these surveys but we really want to know when are you going to listen to what we are saying.

Total disconnect between corporate and communities.

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents. Love 'em. If you ever scratch your head and wonder how job satisfaction can be so low and people not quit sooner, residents are why. They can hold back your burn-out.

Cons

Procedures change constantly and everything is a high priority. Expectations are against a misguided sense of reality about how the communities operate. There is an unrelenting sales drive above all else with ever decreasing investment to update communities for the next generation of seniors. This turns the community management positions into a real pressure-cooker with exhaustive hours that few handle for long - high turnover.

With over 30 years in business I've never seen an operation where I'd have to tell the CEO "It's broke. All of it." First, concentrate on communities with the goal to make (and keep) them THE PLACE to retire. Second, listen and LEARN from the communities. There is no understanding of community operations - even from the regional level. And if the RD's don't get it, then you're hosed at the executive level. If you have to explain to the communities (all too often) how "you get it" - then you don't. Lastly, deeds do not match words. I can respect someone who talks straight - even when we disagree. I have no time to waste on BSers. Why does this have to be learned throughout the home office and the Regionals? Answer? POOR HIRING DECISIONS/DIRECTION. Either get a fresh approach and tackle these things head-on, or be ready for the inevitable negative impact on the company - maybe not now, or tomorrow, but it will come.

Not worth the stress!!!!

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Can work with your spouse. We loved our residents.

Cons

Sometimes working with spouse under duress is not healthy for your marriage. We loved the residents....but upper management made it increasingly impossible to enjoy their Company.
    We had so much to do, and never enough time to get it all done. I worked after hours in the office to keep up most evenings. AND that was after 7 pm.
    timelines were unrealistic and hard to enforce since they made us feel like grouches to our employees whom were trying their best to do their jobs.
    Our last regional manager was the worst ever!!! A real errogant snob, who couldn't care less about the residents. The community management job has always had a swinging door turn around. We worked for 4 years and we saw CMs come and go over and over again and nothing has changed. In our last community residents told us they had 20 managers in 10 years. Ha, they said "GOOD LUCk!!!!
    We lasted 2 years. Then stress burnout!

WHY do you keep on doing the same thing over and over that is not working????

Feb 2, 2015Human Resources Representative

We recognize that our community management positions carry a unique set of challenges. We also believe this role is extremely rewarding for both our residents and associates. Holiday does provide ... More

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Working over a 120 hrs in 2 weeks, low pay scale.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The retired residents are the best ever.

Cons

Low pay, too many hours, lead managers aren't trained to work as a team, promise to train you but you have to do it on your own time. Want you to volunteer on your days off. Bad structure in upper management. Workers don't respect management in the 3 communities I worked in. Time lines are to tight for workers with little or no appreciation.

If you are going to work your managers for over 120 in two weeks give better salaries. Hire more sales people per communities so managers can do their jobs.

Co-Manager

Former Contractor - Co-Manager
    Former Contractor - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working with the seniors, in a community environment. Working in a well maintained building. The food was very good, enjoyed by most people.

Cons

Working and living in the same place. being on call. working with a nasty micro manager.

Hire more staff. Pay better wages to staff so that they want to stay.

holidays carpentry work?????????

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

no rent or utilities,no life!!!!!!!

Cons

managers are pawns.carpentry work sucks.you mean residence pay $3000 for this. see pictures.rummour is comunity fee is going up because there not making as much PROFIT.ON profit.this place is a joke. don't move here.check out the 45 degree angle! are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

GET LOST just like wallstreet & congress.accounts payable department is made up of 20 year olds & inexperenced college grads.hire some aldults!!!!!!

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing a comment. I hope you were able to discuss your grievances with your direct supervisor. You seem very unhappy and that is not what we want for any employee. Our Accounts ... More

Believe everything you read about this company

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are in the right community. Good Salary plus bonus

Cons

Very difficult company to work for with little to no rhyme or reason except sell at all cost. I have worked for holiday for almost 2 years and worked side by side with my bosses sister, both sons, and almost every other member of her family all at different times. Preferential treatment is beyond belief and the company is fully aware.

Sales leaders have 137% turnover you would think the company would ask why but instead they continue on without making any changes except lowering bonus payouts.

Company may be satisfactory at senior level management and home office, but not for field managers

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our parents, our wonderful seniors. The benefits i.e. health insurance, 401k, etc. is good however the cost for these benefits goes up yearly. Working with your spouse.

Cons

As long as the CEO remains to be Ka Hsiaoi this is a company not to work for. The hours are long, the stress level for field managers is high, and the compensation is low. If you enjoy living in a small 600 sq ft outdated apartment, working a minimum of 55 - 60 hours a week, working holidays/weekends, not being able to take vacation time (no coverage), being harassed by your Regional Manager for not getting enough tours/sales booked and closed, having to fill in for absent servers, cooks, dishwashers, housekeepers, and maintenance person then by all means apply. We will look forward to your pro and cons in the near future.

This company still maintains a very high turnover percentage for community managers and co-managers.

Respect the field force that keeps this company afloat.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

I’m sorry that you’ve had this experience with Holiday Retirement, and we take your feedback seriously. We take great pride in the rich lifestyle benefits we provide our community management ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos